Secrets of Tom Sawyer Island

JackSkellington

Ok, thankx it makes a lot of sense now. But your thought on the multiple boats used to ferry people across brings up a question. Why would they put all that time/money when they could build a few more boats. Financially it seems akward.

JackSkellington

Actually the trees do cause a danger to copters. They can't land if they do there is a chance of a crash. The chopped trees go flying causing damage all around. It would be a disaster. I do agree if a life is at stake. But apparently there is a better/safer way Disney has chosen. I hope.

agdbeanie

There has to be some sort of tunnel. Has anyone ever seen the CM's from Aunt Polly's Porch riding over on the rafts??? I never have and they have to get over somehow. Can any CM's answer this question?

BenS

Another reason it's there is probably as a backup if all boats fail for some reason. It's unlikely that would happen, but just in case.

Another reason could be to transport supplies to Aunt Polly's and for cleaning purposes. They could just use boats for it, but this would be more convenient.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by TAC
If that were the case, then there would never be any cliff or canyon rescues in mountainous regions, nor would there be any Coast Guard rescues at sea.

Damage to who/what? If it's trees, does it really matter if someones LIFE is at stake ?

Thanks, Jack.

TAC - think about it. This isn`t a mountain. Its one of the most populated themeparks on the planet. If there is the slightest risk of an accident, or debris being blown around, there is no way it would happen. Not to mention in 1968 medical helecopters were not nearly as widespread as they are now. How long would a chopper take to arrive?? And to get clearence now to enter the no fly zone?

Anyway, I had heard rumours over the years (as I said) and just wondered if there were any truth in them.

JackSkellington

No problem Marni. And yes I have heard of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I was just thinking why would Disney put down the money to build a tunnel. When they could build or buy somemore backup boats.

BenS

Originally posted by JackSkellington
No problem Marni. And yes I have heard of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I was just thinking why would Disney put down the money to build a tunnel. When they could build or buy somemore backup boats.

How do you know how much the boats cost? Perhaps this was actually cheaper. Plus, what if the boats were to fail?

JackSkellington

I have a pretty good guess that a boat is cheaper than all the cement, workforce, and water needed to fill the lake. And I am not saying this in a rude or sarcastic tone. But the boats are porbably cheaper. And about them failing, Disney has plenty of reserve boats. They could use the Mark Twain. (Ok maybe not, but you get the picture)

Atta83

Disney does not like to really show it when people get hurt that is why they take them back stage quickly or go through the tunnel. So it would make sense if they had a underground tunnel somewhere on TSI.

BenS

How about if they need to get on the island and everyone who can drive the boats has gone home? And getting supplies to the island?

(PS. The Mark Twain is what they call it at DL, at WDW it's called the Liberty Belle)

JackSkellington

Originally posted by BenS
How about if they need to get on the island and everyone who can drive the boats has gone home? [

Um, those boats are not too hard to drive. There is nothing more than a motor and steering wheel. And that would probably never happen that all the boat drivers go home. And the supplies are carried over before or after the park closes.:sohappy: :wave: :sohappy:

BenS

Um, those boats are not too hard to drive.
Have you ever driven one? Why wouldn't the boat drivers go home? And what would they do if they ran out of stuff in the middle of the day, which could happen on the busiest days.

The_CEO

a motor and steering wheel.

Hmm...

Attachments

• fro_ts3.jpg
    fro_ts3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 189

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The_CEO - LOL!! :lol:

TAC - The teleportation chambers don`t work anymore - S.I.R. used to operate those ones as well... :lol:

Which aerial pictures are you refering to? There have been loads linked from these boards, the best MK ones were taken pre 9/11. The no fly zone is more critical at the MK - you can still get closer to the other parks and get pictures - its a distance to height ratio.

agdbeanie

Are you sure WDW is a no-fly zone? When the cast member got hit by the parade float there were aerial pictures of the floats at halt and the area where the incident happened. These were all over the news and the internet.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
TAC - sorry, was pulling your leg. S.I.R. was ther Simulated Intelligent Robot in the 2nd Alien Encounter Preshow who used to teleport Skippy in the guest demonstartion.
The aerial pictures were posted on the net in 2002, but if i recall were originally form a long gone aerial photography site (GLBs Photozone I think)

agdbeanie - interesting point. The FAA no fly zone at the Magic Kingdom is 3000ft or 3.3 miles at a lower level. This covers the MK, North Service area, the Seven Seas Resorts and the T&TC. There are similar zones at the other parks, but not as strict. The news footage was shot using high powered zoom lenses (you can tell by the depth of field in the pictures) - reletively expensive equipment, but no news organisation would be without it!!

These Restricted Airspace zones are an unfortunate sign of the times. A similar zone covers Disneyland.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even though I hate politics and all, I will say I think the no fly zones are a waste of time. Unless there is an F-16 permenatntly circling WDW it would all be over if anything happened - god forbid.

I meant sign of the times as in WDW - a vacation resort, a funfair, call it what you will, now has restricted airspace. I understand the thinking behind it (WDW was a potential target, symbol of America etc.) but whats the point?

Riiiiight.... enough of this... back to the tunnel!!!! :lol:

PS - Shhhhhh - the patriots are a national security secret.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom