Second Phase of Pop Century?

gustaftp

It does look rather derelict, but if you look closely, they've taken measures to keep the buildings sound. They aren't falling apart, quite unlike a dead mall.

My guess is that Disney employees someone to make sure there is some level of maintenance to keep the buildings from collapsing or growing trees on the rooves. I was watching a show this weekend on the Discovery Channel about "When Nature Takes Over", and it is amazing what happens to a building after a year or two of complete neglect.

These hotels don't look like that at all.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It does look rather derelict, but if you look closely, they've taken measures to keep the buildings sound. They aren't falling apart, quite unlike a dead mall.

My guess is that Disney employees someone to make sure there is some level of maintenance to keep the buildings from collapsing or growing trees on the rooves. I was watching a show this weekend on the Discovery Channel about "When Nature Takes Over", and it is amazing what happens to a building after a year or two of complete neglect.

Here is a link to a video of the property that is a bout 2 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY

While I have seen abandoned buildings in much worse shape I can definitely see some major structural problems namely plants growing through sections of the concrete slabs. There is also a legal issue to consider as well. There have be several major revisions including one complete rewrite of the Florida building code since these buildings were designed and built. There is a very real possibility that they will no longer meet code and have exceeded a time frame in which they could be grandfathered in.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

I think it would take longer then a year or two for the results of what that show predicted. For buildings or structures that use certain materials, yes, but I think that these buildings wouldn't be to the crumble stage just yet. We have buildings that are in open air like these in our city, virtually untouched and have been around for 60 years. NOW, you wouldnt get me in one to walk around above the first floor though :D

Master Yoda knows a lot on this subject. What he says is dead on.

:confused: There are other buildings to the left of those buildings( if facing the red building) they only look 2 stories high and have some numbers on them?? What gives? We were there last week and there was some axtivity there ( not much though)

1disneydood

All I do at the hotels is sleep, shower, and catch a ride, so Pop is just fine by me.
With that said, the empty portion of Pop looks just like the completed portion, only not themed, not painted, and not planted. :shrug:

jmvd20

Here is a link to a video of the property that is a bout 2 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY

While I have seen abandoned buildings in much worse shape I can definitely see some major structural problems namely plants growing through sections of the concrete slabs. There is also a legal issue to consider as well. There have be several major revisions including one complete rewrite of the Florida building code since these buildings were designed and built. There is a very real possibility that they will no longer meet code and have exceeded a time frame in which they could be grandfathered in.

I've seen this video and a few other that are floating around on the net. I haven't seen any plants/trees growing through the slabs on this finished buildings though. Is this something that just started to occur at the site?

The permit lapse and the changing code cycles would be an issue, I am not sure what changes were made to Florida's codes, around here the last cycle didn't involve any major changes that would have dramitically effected something like this. I guess if they were to re-start the project they had better take the AHJ some coffee and doughnuts when going over the plans!

The site Jec24 mentioned has some detailed pics of the buildings and based upon these from April of 08 it appears to me that the buildings are in relatively good shape and they are buttoned up and protected from the elements.

BSikor

Here's a couple of photos that I took of the abandoned section of the Pop Century.
2795733095_94740d94eb_b.jpg

2775786673_163a107f22_b.jpg

Rob562

:confused: There are other buildings to the left of those buildings( if facing the red building) they only look 2 stories high and have some numbers on them?? What gives? We were there last week and there was some axtivity there ( not much though)

There are three total buildings over on the unfinished side. Two are guest room buildings (two of the three of what would be the 1940's if it were finished) plus the main building for that side, Legendary Hall, which is virtually an exact copy of Classic Hall from the currently open side. That's the building with the numbers on it that you can see through the trees from the end of the Generation Gap Bridge.

I'd have to look through some of the photos closer, but pictures of plants growing "through" concrete slabs could possibly just be plants growing *on* the concrete slabs. With all the storms over the years, enough dirt and seeds could have blown onto the slabs that were already poured, and the seeds had enough dirt to take root, but the roots are solely on top of the concrete. A good scraping and power wash would get rid of them.

As others have said, the two Guest room buildings are just concrete shells that have doors and windows installed. They're mostly protected from the elements. Also part of what makes them look so run-down and falling apart are the temporary wooden safety railings along all of the balconies. Those are definitely falling apart, and I wouldn't trust them to save my life.

-Rob

hrcollectibles

I think it would take longer then a year or two for the results of what that show predicted. For buildings or structures that use certain materials, yes, but I think that these buildings wouldn't be to the crumble stage just yet. We have buildings that are in open air like these in our city, virtually untouched and have been around for 60 years. NOW, you wouldnt get me in one to walk around above the first floor though :D

Master Yoda knows a lot on this subject. What he says is dead on.

So does Rome.. The Coliseum:ROFLOL:

And maybe the fact that they have not done anything yet is perhaps the average Pop Century guest may not even know they are there.

hrcollectibles

These are not my photos but here is an up close look at what it looked like over there in April 2008.

http://illicitohio.illicitohio.com/disneycentury/page_0001.html

Those photos are cool. Its kind of erie looking though Like saw horses with trim on them. They also have the cases for the fire extinguishers installed. I find it odd they have the lone sign regarding the Generation Gap Bridge. The caulking guns that were left behind don't look like they are in that bad of shape. I wonder what that rocket ship was supposed to be from?

Maybe they can do an episode of Extreme Makeover:Theme Park Edition

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I've seen this video and a few other that are floating around on the net. I haven't seen any plants/trees growing through the slabs on this finished buildings though. Is this something that just started to occur at the site?

The permit lapse and the changing code cycles would be an issue, I am not sure what changes were made to Florida's codes, around here the last cycle didn't involve any major changes that would have dramitically effected something like this. I guess if they were to re-start the project they had better take the AHJ some coffee and doughnuts when going over the plans!

The site Jec24 mentioned has some detailed pics of the buildings and based upon these from April of 08 it appears to me that the buildings are in relatively good shape and they are buttoned up and protected from the elements.
The buildings seem to be plant free but the slabs that were poured look to be in pretty bad shape. Based on the pictures provided by jec24 I would guess that the buildings more than likely could be salvaged but closer examination might reveal problems that the photos do not.

The code changes were major. When these buildings were designed and permitted every Florida county had their own individual building code. Since then Florida has gone to one unified building code and even in my niche industry the changes were huge. For the most part Disney has always built things way past code so their PE's might be able to sign off the buildings meeting current code but PE's are known to be incredibly fickle when it comes to doing this and rightly so as their license is on the line.

benji

I really hope Disney will do something with the disgusting :hurl: property across the lake from Pop. It is very un-Disney like to have property kept in those conditions, that are in plan view of guests to see. I also have the same complaint about the old River Country property, it too is disgusting :hurl: and un-Disney like. And don't tell me they don't have money to do something with the property. They just built the new Contemporary tower, and Animal Kingdom timeshares. Oh, ya don't forget about the new Tree House Villas. Fix it up Disney people!

OliveMcFly

I've been gone for awhile. Once I started working at WDW I got my fill once I clocked out...lol. My boyfriends cousin and brother are staying at POP and I keep staring at the Legendary Years wishing it would be built. I wanna stay in the 40s.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I've been gone for awhile. Once I started working at WDW I got my fill once I clocked out...lol. My boyfriends cousin and brother are staying at POP and I keep staring at the Legendary Years wishing it would be built. I wanna stay in the 40s.
My wife would like that era as well.

Good to see you back... you still employed at WDW?

bugsbunny

Those concrete foundations are proabably of no use if they were never waterproofed. They proabably never were except on the outside areas where they meet the soil, but the top would have been covered and not exposed to the elements if it was built as designed.

Any organic material that has now grown on the top can easily works it way in the minute cracks with its roots and that causes the cracks to get bigger and bigger. Plus, concrete is very pourous and will absorb a lot of moisture, especially if a lot is trapped on it by vegetation. As it expands and contacts from the moiture, it contributes to its own destruction by making cracks bigger, new cracks, etc. Also, any embedded rebar will rust, swell, and further weaken the concrete.

That being that, I couldn't see WDW using any of the existing foundations, even if they were sealed, since they have been sitting for years under no supervision or protection. It wouldn't make sense for the long term surviability of the structure to use the existing foundation, IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom