Screen Projection Technology

Raineman

Original Poster
I was just watching @marni1971 's video about the Canada pavilion at Epcot, and when viewing the part describing the O Canada Circlevision projectors, I was wondering if that attraction, or any of the older projector screen elements in the parks, still use the older tech, or have they been converted to HD?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was just watching @marni1971 's video about the Canada pavilion at Epcot, and when viewing the part describing the O Canada Circlevision projectors, I was wondering if that attraction, or any of the older projector screen elements in the parks, still use the older tech, or have they been converted to HD?
Canada and China still use film projectors. For now.

Bear in mind film often has a better resolution than HD. Or even 4K.

Chef Mickey

Do you know what is specifically used for the MK Castle projection shows? Obviously not film projectors, but like make/model of projector? Clearly not cheap and looks to be multiple.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Yes, but at great cost in storage space...

yensidtlaw1969

If they are going to replace those, I would hope the projector for the wooly mammoth/cavemen scene at the beginning of SSE is replaced as well-every trip I take to WDW, it gets harder and harder to see.
If I recall correctly, they keep those projectors very dark purposefully to keep the light bleed from filling the room around them.

It doesn't help that many guests are coming into the ride essentially nightblinded from the Florida sun and the flash from the on-ride photo moments before this scene.

thomas998

I believe film has a better resolution than 1080. But while film can theoretically provide you with the equivalent of 7k horizontal resolution that would only exist in the original negative of the shot and only be true for 35mm Imax, normal 35mm movies as normally shot would be close to 4k resolution. But when you make copies of the original you lose some of the detail. If you look at regular movies that Hollywood has released in the past your actual resolution the viewer gets on screen is closer to the equivalent of a 2k image.

In general a 4k projector is going to far exceed what you get from film. You could get better resolution if you were to find some old school Imax 70 films but even today I think most Imax theaters use 4k projectors instead of film projectors so I'm not sure you can find any Imax theaters that still use actual film projectors.

If you have not been too impressed with what our local theater is showing bear in mind that many theaters that use digital projectors aren't using 4k as when the first wave of digital projectors came a large percent of theaters opted for 2k projectors to save money. Moreover even when a theater uses an actual 4k projector there is a good chance that what your seeing is actually an upscaled 2k movie because studios often release movies in 2k and not 4k to save money on their end. When Disney finally revises the circle vision to digital projectors I would expect the quality of what you see will improve over the current film version.

The Empress Lilly

If they are going to replace those, I would hope the projector for the wooly mammoth/cavemen scene at the beginning of SSE is replaced as well-every trip I take to WDW, it gets harder and harder to see.
I always assumed the unclear images were a deliberate artistic choice. History slowly emerging from the blurred mist of time....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I recall correctly, they keep those projectors very dark purposefully to keep the light bleed from filling the room around them.

It doesn't help that many guests are coming into the ride essentially nightblinded from the Florida sun and the flash from the on-ride photo moments before this scene.
The projectors are dying. It used to be a lot clearer.

thomas998

The projectors are dying. It used to be a lot clearer.
Projectors aren't the problem it's the bulbs. They are probably using them until they die and projector bulbs get dimmer the more you use them. Even home theater projector suffer from this but it is even more pronounced on the higher powered theater bulbs.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Projectors aren't the problem it's the bulbs. They are probably using them until they die and projector bulbs get dimmer the more you use them. Even home theater projector suffer from this but it is even more pronounced on the higher powered theater bulbs.
I could have rephrased it couldn’t I.

Raineman

Original Poster
Would it be a significant jump in costs if the projectors in the Circlevision theaters, and the projector in SSE, were to be replaced with actual HD LED screens instead of constantly maintaining/upgrading the old projector tech? I'm sure screens of that size would be more akin to arena and stadium LED display boards than home TVs.

Club Cooloholic

Also remeber a reason these HD Digital projectors sometimes seem to not bnb produce the beat picture at the movies os that they often never take the lens needed for 3D showings, even when it is a 2D film. Its easier to leave it in place, but it makes the image darker

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom