Screamscape: Possible Buy Out of Universal for Marvel Theme Park Rights?

misterID

Or....wait until the fees come up for renegotiation. At that point they could demand a rate that Uni would be unwilling to pay, thus compelling them to voluntarily give up the rights
Buying the rights would be hugely expensive. Disney ain't gonna pay it if they don't have to.

...then imagineering will come up with a bunch of killer marvel based attraction concepts that will never get made.

Maybe Disney can buy some of UNI's originality and some of its spine... And ambition.

Studios Fan

Or....wait until the fees come up for renegotiation. At that point they could demand a rate that Uni would be unwilling to pay, thus compelling them to voluntarily give up the rights
Buying the rights would be hugely expensive. Disney ain't gonna pay it if they don't have to.

Makes sense.

_Scar

That would create such HORRIBLE publicity.

With a company like Disney, that would be so beyond foolish. It just wouldn't make sense at all. Not one bit.

The ends just do not justify what could happen. Uni would convert to Transformers, Hulk to whatever.

No, no, no.

I just don't see it happening.

Lee

Adventurer
...then imagineering will come up with a bunch of killer marvel based attraction concepts that will never get made.

Sure they'll get made. Just not in Orlando.
Like I said...Marvel is going to have a major presence in Shanghai, perhaps in Paris as well.

SeaCastle

Sure they'll get made. Just not in Orlando.
Like I said...Marvel is going to have a major presence in Shanghai, perhaps in Paris as well.

Anyone else here overjoyed that Marvel attractions aren't coming to WDW (anytime soon)?

lazyboy97o

Oh for Pete's sake ... the contract is not bought out already. If it was, we'd know about it almost immediately - it's two public companies. I'm actually surprised the contract itself hasn't been leaked already.
It is probably sitting right there in the SEC's archives like the Harry Potter deal I posted earlier. Somebody just needs to go digging through the fillings for whoever owned Universal Orlando (Universal City Development Partners Ltd today) at the time and whatever was Marvel's legal name at the time. The agreement was probably made sometime in 1995, so that should be a good starting point.

One has to wonder just how much Disney can try to raise Universal's costs. From all accounts that deal is very indicative of just how desperate Marvel was for any revenue.

T-1MILLION

It is probably sitting right there in the SEC's archives like the Harry Potter deal I posted earlier. Somebody just needs to go digging through the fillings for whoever owned Universal Orlando (Universal City Development Partners Ltd today) at the time and whatever was Marvel's legal name at the time. The agreement was probably made sometime in 1995, so that should be a good starting point.

One has to wonder just how much Disney can try to raise Universal's costs. From all accounts that deal is very indicative of just how desperate Marvel was for any revenue.

I would think they would be stupid to raise it too much to where Universal does not want it Honestly. They would make more money instantly by a new negotiation on cost vs Universal saying "well no deal then" and then losing out on all that money..and then actually have to build stuff marvel in WDW in order to see any money attendance boost wise to happen.

I have a feeling Disney would be just as happy getting more money out of Uni and keeping royalties from their merch...and being able to sell that same merch in WDW.

Look at the EPCOT giftshops and Hollywood Studios selling Marvle merch. A toy store in downtown disney is one thing (since they were selling toys of all kinds before Disney bought Marvel) but seeing tons of Marvel themed merch at theme parks like Hollywood Studios and EPCOT who have no theming representation at all in the parks....furthers the tacky shopping mall atmosphere that I think Disney is happy/content with between that and the films as far as the states goes.

Krack

As far as I can tell, the contract was in place before 1995. Because the online databases (at least the ones I could find) only go back as far as Jan 1995, and those filings mention the licensing deal as already in place. Around that time, Marvel had filed for bankruptcy and the documentation mentions the deal with Universal - not just Orlando, but Japan and Los Angeles.

Lee

Adventurer
The deal with Japan is for the use of Spiderman. Hollywood had rights to do a show in the park out there.
I don't think any other park related licenses were granted, other than for that Marval park that is now dead.

lazyboy97o

The deal with Japan is for the use of Spiderman. Hollywood had rights to do a show in the park out there.
I don't think any other park related licenses were granted, other than for that Marval park that is now dead.
And Universal Studios Hollywood opted to not renew their deal with Marvel right before the purchase was announced.

Krack

I don't know if it's still there, but around 2005ish, Universal Hollywood had a Marvel Comics Store in the park with a gigantic Hulk statue in front of it. I don't remember seeing any walk-around characters or anything else Marvel in the park, though.

EDIT: Here's Paris Hilton molesting the Hulk in 2003.

81310293.jpg

disneyrcks

Here is the latest rumor that I have heard from a reliable source on another Disney site. Disney is buying out the contract for the remaining Marvel characters at Universal. The name of the 5th theme park is - World of Marvel. Reportedly, this is in some level of development for WDW.:)

I don't usually get too worked up over park additions or subtractions but I am not too crazy about a World of Marvel park.....I feel it would lack that Disney flair. Marvel added to DHS (not it's own park) would be great!

Studios Fan

Here ya go. I found it while looking at Universal info a couple months ago...

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

There's also this...

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1058.htm

Krack

Bravo. It will make for very interesting reading.

EDIT: The language in this contract makes my head spin (whoever had their hands in it must have been old-school lawyers who legal-eased unnecessarily for maximum effect, imho), but the one thing that is clear to me after two run-throughs is that Disney isn't building anything in Florida that has anything to do with Marvel until the lease no longer exists. No themed stores, no restaurants, no entertainment complexes, no advertising of Marvel whatsoever. And the contract runs for as long as Universal wants it. Universal has Disney by the stones regarding these Marvel characters in Florida.

With the popularity of the recent Marvel films (Spiderman, Iron Man) and with many upcoming films (Captain America, Thor, Avengers) - not to mention Disney's stated goal of proliferating the characters through television - I have to believe this 1994 contract gave Universal use of the characters at way below current market value. If Disney tries to buy out the lease, I bet it would cost them a bundle - I don't see any reason whatsoever why Universal would want to let Disney/Marvel out of the deal.

Of note, west of the Mississippi, Disney can use specific Marvel characters in their parks, but may not build or market a "Marvel-land". In other words, they could have an Iron Man ride at DCA or a Spiderman Meet & Greet, but no use of the word "Marvel" anywhere.

flavious27

Think about it for a second, why would Disney build a 5th gate when the 4th gate is half finished? Rumors about a 5th gate from "inside" sources happen every ten minutes on Disney message boards.

The 4th gate was being planned when the 3rd gate was half finished.

Krack

The difference is that people extended their stays for the second and third gates. They did not for the fourth.

And they had an even worse experience with their second half-gate in Californa (resulting in a billion dollar makeover). You have to believe even people as dense as Disney have learned their lesson (although, somebody was hellbent on pushing that Night Kingdom money pit - so who knows?).

lazyboy97o

And they had an even worse experience with their second half-gate in Californa (resulting in a billion dollar makeover). You have to believe even people as dense as Disney have learned their lesson (although, somebody was hellbent on pushing that Night Kingdom money pit - so who knows?).
It really had nothing to do with the amount of offerings. Americans do not tend to vacation for more than a week. People were just not willing to break their cultural norms for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom