Screamscape: Possible Buy Out of Universal for Marvel Theme Park Rights?

Mouse Detective

If anyone thinks MSHI at IoA will be rethemed in the next 15 years...they're mental. Universal has always been paying someone for the rights. Why would they care if the company holding Marvel has changed?

Exactly what I've been trying to say. Universal has the upper hand in this and there is no reason to give it up.

Of course everything has its price. If the money offered was high enough, sure. But otherwise, no incentive whatsoever for Universal to give up the Marvel characters!

slappy magoo

While I don't know if it would or will happen before the terms of the contract expire as originally planned, I have to assume that Disney is blue-skying how and where to best incorporate Marvel characters into the parks, and Universal is mapping out what the Marvel section of the park could become, as quickly as possible.

Disneyfanman

While I don't know if it would or will happen before the terms of the contract expire as originally planned, I have to assume that Disney is blue-skying how and where to best incorporate Marvel characters into the parks, and Universal is mapping out what the Marvel section of the park could become, as quickly as possible.

Exactly. We would be crazy to believe that plans aren't being drawn up and bean counters aren't calculating. I actually believe that this will happen and happen quickly. It's just a matter of how much and to whom. The real barrier (IMHO) is if Disney want's to finance a competitor upgrading their park when they have already taken a hit in publicity and attendance due to TWWOHP. A re-theme would arm Universal with an additional competitive weapon. To me, that's the really big question. I think a sci-fi island would do really well for IOA.

So does buying out the contract make more sense than waiting until it expires naturally (whenever that is)? Or maybe the contract on the use of the characters is open ended? Then there would be a bigger incentive to buy out UO rights.

It will be fun to see how this goes.

juan

PS- Speaking of "icebergs" what ever happened to Juan's "tip of the iceberg" talk when it came to WDW's overall plans for the park? Did he ever elaborate? :confused:

My "iceberg" was the plans at all of the parks, not just WDW. Hyperion Wharf was part of the iceberg, but the overseas work is the majority of the plans.

I wasn't able to comment back before about DTD because I had very minimal knowledge of that development other than "PI is changing and getting new buildings"

IWant2GoNow

Original Poster
My "iceberg" was the plans at all of the parks, not just WDW. Hyperion Wharf was part of the iceberg, but the overseas work is the majority of the plans.

I wasn't able to comment back before about DTD because I had very minimal knowledge of that development other than "PI is changing and getting new buildings"

Gotcha. Well, thanks for clearing that up anyway. :wave:

When you had said that back then all I could think about was Pixar expansion, new BK-esque land at DAK, JII redo, ETC. :lol:

GLaDOS

Also...everyone saying Transformers will replace Spider-Man is forgetting one thing: Islands of Adventure's underlying theme of literature. The park is built around literature, and they aren't going to change that. Sure Transformers has a comic book, but the universe and characters were not born out of it.

I don't see Universal compromising the park's lineage and tradition for a quick fix.

Disneyfanman

Also...everyone saying Transformers will replace Spider-Man is forgetting one thing: Islands of Adventure's underlying theme of literature. The park is built around literature, and they aren't going to change that. Sure Transformers has a comic book, but the universe and characters were not born out of it.

I don't see Universal compromising the park's lineage and tradition for a quick fix.

You have more faith in Universal being dedicated to one of its founding themes than I do. Still........it's a valid point.

devoy1701

Exactly. We would be crazy to believe that plans aren't being drawn up and bean counters aren't calculating. I actually believe that this will happen and happen quickly. It's just a matter of how much and to whom. The real barrier (IMHO) is if Disney want's to finance a competitor upgrading their park when they have already taken a hit in publicity and attendance due to TWWOHP. A re-theme would arm Universal with an additional competitive weapon. To me, that's the really big question. I think a sci-fi island would do really well for IOA.

So does buying out the contract make more sense than waiting until it expires naturally (whenever that is)? Or maybe the contract on the use of the characters is open ended? Then there would be a bigger incentive to buy out UO rights.

too bad Paramount isn't involved. IoA could quickly become my favorite park ever!

yeti

Once again a rumor born out of a complete misunderstanding of the Marvel deal.

Disney owns the characters. All of them. Disney gets money everytime Universal sells anything Marvel. Disney gets money everytime a movie ticket is sold featuring a Marvel character no matter which studio produced the movie. Disney can use any Marvel character in any park they wish. The only exception is Disney can't use characters featured at IoA in the Orlando theme parks.

Disney buying out Universal so they could feature the IoA characters in WDW's theme parks would be like someone buying a 5 star restaurant because you really want the super cool salt and pepper shakers.

And why would Disney do anything when it is just a matter of time (meaning months to a few years Raven) before Uni gives up the Marvel IoA rights voluntarily.

Iger checkmated Universal.

:)

Seeing as Universal tends not to create original licences for their theme park attractions, whatever replaces Superhero Island will probably be based on another massively popular, already existing media franchise comparable to Harry Potter. Some checkmate.

slappy magoo

But since the contract is binding to both sides, it'll be interesting to see how much they will be willing to work together.

Let's say Uni has post-Marvel plans ready to go first, and want to drop the contract. Unless Marvel originally gave them that right in the terms of the contract, Disney might tell them no-go...because they'll want that revenue stream (whatever it may be) to keep streaming until THEY have plans ready to go.

If Disney develops Marvel-themed attractions first, Uni may decide to play hardball for a larger lump-sum, or just hold out until they have plans in place as to how to proceed.

It would probably be in each companies' best interest to work together, make the transition as quick and painless as possible, so they can each go about developing their new plans and/or properties with a minimum amount of fuss.

But sooner or later, one company will probably want to put the screws to the other, make 'em sweat, make 'em pay...

If that happens, and neither company wants to be the one to take a hit, then the contract will just ride out to its original end date.

In a way it would probably make sense for Disney to offer a buyout now, but with a "countdown" phase, so Marvel Island doesn't immediately go away, but everyone knows how much time they have to plan...

And then Disney can put something Marvel-based in the Narnia chunk of DHS. :D

slappy magoo

i'm confused! it's a rumor that Disney buys out Universal please tell me!:confused:

No, Disney bought Marvel Comics. All the movie studios that bought the rights to make movies based on specific Marvel characters, Disney's trying to buy those rights back (I think they paid Paramount something like 150 mill for Iron Man 3). Uni's Islands of Adventure has had Marvel themed attractions for some time, but Disney still has to honor the rights to the contract Marvel had with Uni...unless they want to try to buy the rights to Marvel theme park attractions away from Uni (and Uni agrees).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think the main question is, does Disney want to create Marvel stuff at WDW, and if so, how quickly....as slow as they are developing anything else these days, I bet it's not very soon.

If they do want to develop Marvel stuff in the next 5 years or so, would it be "awkward" for them to have SOME Marvel characters but not some others that are that "other" park, that some Disney die-hards refuse to go to even if it was free admission

JEANYLASER

No, Disney bought Marvel Comics. All the movie studios that bought the rights to make movies based on specific Marvel characters, Disney's trying to buy those rights back (I think they paid Paramount something like 150 mill for Iron Man 3). Uni's Islands of Adventure has had Marvel themed attractions for some time, but Disney still has to honor the rights to the contract Marvel had with Uni...unless they want to try to buy the rights to Marvel theme park attractions away from Uni (and Uni agrees).

thanks for the confusion thanks again!

jt04

I think the main question is, does Disney want to create Marvel stuff at WDW, and if so, how quickly....as slow as they are developing anything else these days, I bet it's not very soon.

If they do want to develop Marvel stuff in the next 5 years or so, would it be "awkward" for them to have SOME Marvel characters but not some others that are that "other" park, that some Disney die-hards refuse to go to even if it was free admission"

Disney is also developing new Marvel characters that they can also use at WDW and these will receive the Disney marketing push. Something like Hannah Montana for the super hero genre. Keep in mind most kids who will be the target audience are only partly aware of the history of Marvel characters. Any new characters developed will seem as much a part of the Marvel universe as the oldest characters to them.

Soon you will be wondering why they like these new characters as much or more than the ones you know well. It isn't them, it is the marketing and hopefully the quality of the product. The result will be that when Disney adds them to the parks the buzz will be just as big if not bigger than if Disney got the rights to put more traditional characters there.

Write it in stone. Save this post. I guarantee it is 100% correct. :cool:

Captain Chaos

Isn;t Disney changing Disney XD to a Marvel channel in the next few years??? And Didn't they just resecntly start a new, or are in the process of starting as new Spiderman series??? And a new X-Men series, along with a new Avengers series??? Yes, they are.... Do you honestly think Disney wouldn't want to market these, and the "new" channel in their theme parks, especially DHS??? Of course...

Disney may play hardball with Uni, forcing Uni's hand... Uni may play hardball with Disney and never budge... This should be an interesting situation and is worth watching play out...

jt04

Isn;t Disney changing Disney XD to a Marvel channel in the next few years??? And Didn't they just resecntly start a new, or are in the process of starting as new Spiderman series??? And a new X-Men series, along with a new Avengers series??? Yes, they are.... Do you honestly think Disney wouldn't want to market these, and the "new" channel in their theme parks, especially DHS??? Of course...

Disney may play hardball with Uni, forcing Uni's hand... Uni may play hardball with Disney and never budge... This should be an interesting situation and is worth watching play out...

I'm not sure I understand the point of the fist paragraph. I think I agree with you but I also believe you will see new characters developed and also some unheard of characters. But it is the new characters that will be the future of the Disney/Marvel future. I think all this Marvel/Disney product will force Uni to fold its hand as I have said since the deal happened.

I recently wrote a long post about how Disney could reimagine DHS but I didn't mention Marvel at all. There is another option. They could turn it into an a major showcase for Marvel. Even making it mostly Marvel. Now that could be pretty amazing.

Captain Chaos

I'm not sure I understand the point of the fist paragraph. I think I agree with you but I also believe you will see new characters developed and also some unheard of characters. But it is the new characters that will be the future of the Disney/Marvel future. I think all this Marvel/Disney product will force Uni to fold its hand as I have said since the deal happened.

I recently wrote a long post about how Disney could reimagine DHS but I didn't mention Marvel at all. There is another option. They could turn it into an a major showcase for Marvel. Even making it mostly Marvel. Now that could be pretty amazing.

Basically, Disney is changing XD to be a Marvel-based channel in the next few years... Maybe within the next 2 years, I'm not sure... They have developed a new Spiderman cartoon series... They developed a new X-Men cartoon series... A new Avengers cartoon series...

Disney would want to market these new shows and the new channel... And would probably use DHS to market it... However, they cannot use the characters that are depicted in Marvel Super Hero Island... Which eliminates Spiderman, X-Men, and I believe the Avengers (Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor)... So, they just may do what they can legally to get 100% rights back from Universal...

That's all I was trying to get across...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom