Scooter accident

zero creativity

Original Poster
On Tuesday at Epcot a woman yelled watch out as she ran over my daughter's foot with her scooter.
We had to go to first aid and we filled out an incident report. Today we called claims and they said that since it was a person to person incident, that Disney probably wouldn't do anything. Does anybody know of anybody else to contact?

HRHPrincessAriel

On Tuesday at Epcot a woman yelled watch out as she ran over my daughter's foot with her scooter.
We had to go to first aid and we filled out an incident report. Today we called claims and they said that since it was a person to person incident, that Disney probably wouldn't do anything. Does anybody know of anybody else to contact?
I'm sorry it happend but how is that WDW fault?

zero creativity

Original Poster
Not looking for anyone to blame. More to bring it to someone's attention. They had a kids dance group parading through and nothing roped off, no one directing people around the parade. Just seems that they should have had more organization around the event

Goofyernmost

Already taking care of that. Don't want, need money, just would like to bring it to someone's attention. Maybe get new regulations on scooters.
What would be the new regulation for scooters? Perhaps to not run over anyones foot. I think that is already an assumed regulation. That's why they call them accidents, it's because they are unplanned events. Things happen.

MissingDisney

Not trying to be funny but you did say the woman said "watch out". So, you want to bring it to someone's attention that your family member didn't hear or heed the warning? I'm confused. What exactly are you trying to bring to someone's attention and who is 'someone'?
Regulations on Scooters? Yep, that'll happen. :rolleyes:

zero creativity

Original Poster
Not trying to be funny but you did say the woman said "watch out". So, you want to bring it to someone's attention that your family member didn't hear or heed the warning? I'm confused. What exactly are you trying to bring to someone's attention and who is 'someone'?
Regulations on Scooters? Yep, that'll happen. :rolleyes:
I think some sort of governor or speed limit requirement on them. Woman was going way too fast to move or react to her watch out.

donsullivan

Premium Member
This happens more than many realize. I was witness to one in MK a couple of years ago where a women ran over her granddaughters leg and the child was knocked down and trapped under the scooter. The driver was oblivious and just tried to keep driving. I was close by so I ran and grabbed the handlebars of the scooter to tip it over to get it off the child and yell at the driver to get off because she had just run the girl over; she was completely oblivious. In this case the girls leg was completely under the scooter up to her knee.\

From all those I've seen it seems that 'some' get a little overwhelmed/frustrated trying to move them about in the crowds and get a case of 'scooter rage' and loose touch with what's going on around them. Or just get frustrated and don't care.

morningstar

Not trying to be funny but you did say the woman said "watch out". So, you want to bring it to someone's attention that your family member didn't hear or heed the warning?

It's not anybody's responsibility to get out of her way, and yelling out a demand for such doesn't make it so. It's the scooter driver's responsibility not to run into anyone.

cheesecake

Sorry your daughter got hurt! I hope she's healing well and was able to enjoy the rest of your time in WDW!

The scooters are always a tricky subject, because it involves the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any kind of "persecution" or singling them out could be seen as violating the act, and the rights of those individuals. I completely agree that there needs to be an increase in personal awareness and courtesy for others, but it's kind of hard to mandate things like that. The only thing that I can think of is increasing the amount of CMs directing foot/scooter/stroller traffic during busy events like parades and exiting the park at night.

Goofyernmost

I think some sort of governor or speed limit requirement on them. Woman was going way too fast to move or react to her watch out.
Sadly, apparently you have never used one. They do not have brakes they only stop if you let up on the motion button. There is a lag time before they stop and if someone steps in front of them just as they get there, there really is nothing that can be done about it. If they are needed, they are needed. (please let's not start a discussion on how all the fat, lazy people use them). Not only is it not true, but, it is insulting to someone that needs one and you, not being a Doctor, just don't know what that is. First rule of being in a theme park is to pay attention to where you are and what is around you. Even someone walking fast can knock people on their butts. Take responsibility for ourselves and don't expect others to always be on the lookout for you to do something careless.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
Sadly, apparently you have never used one. They do not have brakes they only stop if you let up on the motion button. There is a lag time before they stop and if someone steps in front of them just as they get there, there really is nothing that can be done about it. If they are needed, they are needed. (please let's not start a discussion on how all the fat, lazy people use them). Not only is it not true, but, it is insulting to someone that needs one and you, not being a Doctor, just don't know what that is. First rule of being in a theme park is to pay attention to where you are and what is around you. Even someone walking fast can knock people on their butts. Take responsibility for ourselves and don't expect others to always be on the lookout for you to do something careless.
Oh where in the heck did the OP say anything that would provoke this knee jerk rant? Questioning the speed of something doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this. And to imply blame to a parent or child that they should " pay attention..." and "Take responsibility for ourselves" is just trollish. Lot of people trying to shoehorn their agendas or drama into a question.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A Scooter accident, you say???
scooter.jpg

bethymouse

I am sorry that your daughter got hurt.:( My 76 year old Mom needs a scooter to get around. She and I are very careful how she drives the scooter. We keep it on "turtle speed" especially in crowds. But, mostly people walk in front of my Mom. If that is the case, then it's not my Mom's fault if someone gets hurt ( these are people of all ages just not paying attention). She feels bad enough that she needs a scooter to get around now, but sometimes others are so engrossed in their own little world that they just don't seem to have respect for others ( especially the elderly).:( Occasionally you'll hear someone say " I'm sorry" for bumping into you ( that goes for strollers too, especially the huge double ones!):(
The "parties" before the parade and fireworks at night have always been "open". The CMs usually do a decent job of directing traffic. I am sorry this happened.:(

Matt Ryan

Governor on speed is something I agree with. I had to grab my son and literally jump out of the way of a scooter at disney springs last week. He was going down hill off a bridge approaching the boat house weaving between other shocked people. I had to pick up my son and shield him. Not exagerating, he must of been going close to 15 mph, missing us by a foot and was about 30 feet away before I knew it. I didn't even have a chace to say something, total maniac. I know he was going down an incline and that speed isn't typical, but he was in control and knew what he was doing. Accident waiting to happen and can and should be avoided with a govevenor. Or some sort a scooter lane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom