Sci-fi Diner -TOO SCARY?

fmingo36

Original Poster
I just made reservations for my family to each at the Sci-Fi Diner. I've never eaten there before but I think my girls (6 and 3) will love the atmosphere of the restaurant but I'm just wondering if the movies they show would be too scary for a 3 year old?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I don't think so; it's more 50's schmaltz than anything else. I took my 5 year-old there for the first time in November with no issues....

gatechgal

The show is more like the commercials before the movie and no real story line. I don't think your little ones will be frightented. They'll probably be more interested in sitting in the car and the look of the drive-in.

fmingo36

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. That's kinda what I figured but I didn't want to deal with nightmares for the rest of the week. :eek:

coltow

My boys were 2 & 5 last time we ate there. I think they liked the cars so much they hardly noticed the movies. I remember something about a spider that just made 5 yo turn away, but he wasn't afraid.

Mouse Man

The children will love the Atmosphere and no the movies/advertisements an a older cartoon will not be scary at all. The Sci-Fi is a great lunch spot for old Fashioned Burgers, Fries , Onion Rings and Great thick Vanilla or Chocolate Milk Shakes. I have never had a bad meal there and enjoy the atmosphere and find it to be a very relaxing and cozy place. Like I said this is a very good lunch time place. If your looking for more of a dinner type place then the Sci-Fi is not for you. Hope this helps.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Ive been to Sci-Fi 2 times...Going a 3rd time in Sept...The last thing I'd say about that place is that it is scary. Have fun!

fmingo36

Original Poster
The children will love the Atmosphere and no the movies/advertisements an a older cartoon will not be scary at all. The Sci-Fi is a great lunch spot for old Fashioned Burgers, Fries , Onion Rings and Great thick Vanilla or Chocolate Milk Shakes. I have never had a bad meal there and enjoy the atmosphere and find it to be a very relaxing and cozy place. Like I said this is a very good lunch time place. If your looking for more of a dinner type place then the Sci-Fi is not for you. Hope this helps.

We have lunch reservations. Just have to make sure to ride ToT and RnRC before we eat. :lol:

slappy magoo

Does anyone else here think it's time to update that clip reel? And by "update" I do not mean use trailers for modern movies. But there are hundreds of trailers for old sci-fi movies to be found, not to mention the commercials for the snack bar and sci-fi themed shorts/toons. Many of these movies are now in the public domain, so it's not even like Disney would have to obtain rights.

I know the majority of people who ever eat in the Sci-Fi Dine In will probably ever do so once, not because it's awful food but because not everyone goes to WDW with the same frequency that nerds like us do :D But for that small minority - to say nothing of the cast members who work there and probably can recite the entire reel in their sleep - what the hay, throw a few more trailers in there. Hell, what I think would be extremely cool and subversive is to produce a new cartoon with Disney characters as astronauts - but produce it as if it had been made during the late 50s-early 60s space race, right down to the film grain and dated references. Make no attempt to make it look contemporary, slip it in there and see if anyone says "Hey, I haven't seen this one in years!"

lilclerk

Does anyone else here think it's time to update that clip reel? And by "update" I do not mean use trailers for modern movies. But there are hundreds of trailers for old sci-fi movies to be found, not to mention the commercials for the snack bar and sci-fi themed shorts/toons. Many of these movies are now in the public domain, so it's not even like Disney would have to obtain rights.
They could at least lengthen the loop a little. Just for lunch, you end up seeing some of it twice.

durangojim

I have been taking my kids there since they were a month old with no issues.
Me too.
The only thing that might happen, is when the movie shows a guy being speared by a big syringe, the waitstaff usually screams. It's not a big deal but it can catch you off guard. I doubt it will be a problem for your kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom