Sci-Fi Dine in Theater vs 50s Cafe

PurpleRose

Original Poster
My father will be celebrating his 57th birthday while we are at Disney next month. I tried prodding him on what he wants to do for his birthday dinner and he has no suggestions. The man is easy to please. :) My brother and I want to do something special and keep going back and forth on ideas.

If we do something formal, we are thinking either Crystal Palace or Le Cellier for dinner. If we go with traditional fun, it's either Sci-Fi Dine In or 50s Cafe. My dad is a big Sci Fi fan, and I think he will get a kick out of the atmosphere. But I also think we would have a great time at the 50s Cafe.

If we do go the fun, traditional route, which do you think is better? Also if we do the formal, is Le Cellier the hands down favorite? My suggestion for Crystal Palace is that its good food (from what I heard) and the characters would keep my two and a half year old niece entertained. We will be a family of 7 adults, two small children. Never eaten at any of the four restaurants in question before. Or if anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them. We will be on the Disney Dining Plan as well. Thanks!

happymom52003

Out of Sci Fi and 50's Prime Time, I would choose Sci Fi. Honestly, I found the food to be just so so at both of them. I like the atmosphere at the Sci Fi better....and I think that as far as it being entertaining, 50's Prime Time is hit or miss...totally depends on your server. We've been there twice and both times had servers that were not in character at all.

As far as formal, Crystal Palace is nowhere near being "formal". It is beautiful on the outside, but on the inside it is just a basic buffet and a very loud atmosphere. But...it is alot of fun with the Pooh characters and the food is good...but it is definitely casual...not formal.

I have not been to Le Cellier (yet...going in two months!), so I can't comment on that. But for nicer, more "formal" meals, we really love Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge and Narcoosees at the Grand Floridian.

Other options that I like for a fun, more casual celebration that all ages in your family would enjoy:
The Hoop De Doo Revue dinner show at Ft. Wilderness. That would be fun for the whole family, and in my opinion a great way to celebrate a bday...I LOVE the Hoop De Doo!
Whispering Canyon at the Wilderness Lodge is fun.
Dinner at Ohana's at the Polynesian is fantasic for a family celebration....and after dinner you could watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly.

Have fun! I am sure you will be happy with whatever choice you make!

kstella

I hated the food at the 50's Prime Time Cafe. I love the food at the Sci-Fi, but if you are looking for something special, that might not be it. I agree that the Hoop Dee Doo would be a lot of fun for a birthday celebration, but very informal. If you're looking for something formal, you might want to try something at one of the resorts.

Gregger

I've only been to Sci-Fi and it's a cool concept and the food is ok but bring a flashlight to see your menu because it's kinda dark...at least for me it was.

durangojim

I'd go for Sci-Fi as the atmosphere is always fun and hard to beat, the food is ok. 50s diner is much more of an active experience but can be hit or miss depending on your server. I'm not one for that sort of thing while eating so I don't really enjoy the place.
If you want to go formal for dinner, then definately skip Crystal Palace. Le Cellier is good, but I still wouldn't consider it formal. My choice hands down is California Grill. If you time it right, you can watch the fireworks while having dinner. Have a great time and good luck choosing!

lebeau

100% go for the 50s.

The food is okay at both places. I give the edge to the 50s.

The atmosphere is great at both places. I give the edge to Sci-Fi BUT...

As great as the environment is at the Sci Fi, we always have more fun at the 50s.

The real deciding point for me is this: You're going to be able to interact more at the 50s. At Sci Fi, you'll be eating in the dark and you won't be facing each other.

If you want to do both, go to Sci Fi for lunch or dessert some time during your trip. But for a birthday dinner, it's 50s all the way. No contest!

(Order the pot roast. You'll thank me later.)

tiaragirl

I'm a big CP fan. Also, if you don't have these booked already it is very unlikely that you will get a reservation at Le Cellier (for next month).

As for 50s vs Sci-fi.. I vote 50s! And get a milkshake/malt. Best thing I've ever had.

mbisenius

My preference is 50s; even though I'm a pretty big fan of cult science-fiction movies, I felt cramped in the car and didn't really enjoy the food there as much.

I've been to 50s Prime Time about 5 times now and although your server really does affect your experience, there are still going to be servers in the restaurant that will be very entertaining even if they are not assigned to your table.

We had a pretty boring server one time, but the table next to us had a great one who interacted with us a bunch and helped make it a very memorable trip.

disneynut4u

Go for SciFi. We've been to both several times. The atmosphere at SciFi is so much better. At 50's, the first time we had a great server. He & I yelled at each other the whole meal. It was very fun. Last year, we had a so-so waitress. She wasn't as "into it" as some of the others. Although we DID end up with about 6 extra glasses of Coke!!! (another story!!)

Hoop Dee is my number 1 choice for an "extra special touch". If you let them know you're celebrating a birthday, they may add it to the show. My 16 y/o son LOVED THIS SHOW! I didn't expect him to show any type of emotion here, but he really got into it!! If you can, DO THIS SHOW!!!

zurgandfriend

It sound like you dad is about my age so I would recommend going to the 50’s Prime Time Café. I think he would get a kick out of it. We were lucky as our cast member in full “mom” character. The kitchen motif is something right of my childhood and I’ll admit I remember the old TV shows that they have looping; I even remember some of the dialog. Boy, am I getting old!
I agree with a past poster you won’t get Le Cellier at this late date, if money isn’t a major concern you might try the California Grille the little ones will enjoy the view. 1900 Park Faire is a character buffet at the Grand Floridian, IMHO the food is better than the CP and the atmosphere is too.
As stated the Hoop de Doo is always fun.

harveyt0206

Well, I guess I will throw another vote in for Sci-Fi. We went there during our September trip and both hubby and I enjoyed it. The atmosphere is so fun.

As another poster already noted, Crystal Palace is very, very casual. But the food was great. One of our best buffet experiences.

I think Ohana or Whispering Canyon are great choices. Plus, you could order a birthday cake ahead of time and have it delievered to your table after dinner.

We did this for my in-law's anniversary dinner and it was a huge hit (plus the cake was yummy :slurp:).

worldfanatic

Agree with many that the food is just average at both.
And while both have fun atmospheres, Sci Fi is especially unique. It gets my nod.

protiius

I like Prime Time. Good old fashioned, home cooking. Good theming. Great atmosphere. Top staff who always play the part. It's part restaurant, part show. I never miss out when I'm at DHS.

SuzieN

I LOVE both 50's Primetime and Sci-Fi! For a birthday dinner I would choose 50's though - it's much more interactive and a lot of fun. The fried chicken is delicious there! Sci-Fi has an incredible atmosphere but it's a very quiet restaurant due to the fact that everyone is watching the movie clips. Good luck with your decision and have a great trip!!!

drossjr

My father will be celebrating his 57th birthday while we are at Disney next month. I tried prodding him on what he wants to do for his birthday dinner and he has no suggestions. The man is easy to please. :) My brother and I want to do something special and keep going back and forth on ideas.

If we do something formal, we are thinking either Crystal Palace or Le Cellier for dinner. If we go with traditional fun, it's either Sci-Fi Dine In or 50s Cafe. My dad is a big Sci Fi fan, and I think he will get a kick out of the atmosphere. But I also think we would have a great time at the 50s Cafe.

If we do go the fun, traditional route, which do you think is better? Also if we do the formal, is Le Cellier the hands down favorite? My suggestion for Crystal Palace is that its good food (from what I heard) and the characters would keep my two and a half year old niece entertained. We will be a family of 7 adults, two small children. Never eaten at any of the four restaurants in question before. Or if anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them. We will be on the Disney Dining Plan as well. Thanks!

I wouldnt consider Crystal Palace a formal dinner, its a buffet, the building outside is very nice looking but its nothing great of a meal imo. We ate their once and weren't thrilled. Le Cellier is good or Hollywood Brown Derby

If I were to choose between 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi I would pick 50's for the food which is better but Sci-Fi has a better atmosphere especially if you get a car table.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Sadly, with a party of 7, I doubt you'll even get a foot in the door of Le Cellier without an ADR. Heck, I think you need an ADR for all of your listed options. With your choices as of right now, I'd say 50s Prime Time is the way to go. :wave:

maggiegrace1

I think Prime time or Crystal Palcace

Sci-Fi you will not all be seated at the same table and those who are will not be facing each other..

What about Germany for something fun?..and you can all sit together and the kids will enjoy it also.

Also Japan has the hibachi thing..that is also fun and entertaining for the kids and adults.

I am sure no mater what you will all have a great time..:D

Testtrack321

Both restaurants are, IMHO, the two worst in park restaurants at WDW. Boring, bland food and the themes either attract to repel people in equal quantities.

If I had to chose between either, I'd go Prime Time. The food there is at least palatable and you can see it from actual LIGHT.

Imagummybear

Iv Been to Sci Fi and I was not imprressed.. its very dark and I went with a huge group and we all ordered something diffrent the only thing we were happy with was the burger...its neat to sit in a car and watch movies but the food was not good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom