Scentsy and Walt Disney World are bringing a new guest experience within Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom

jaklgreen

Promote products is one thing. It would not be good if people w atomizers start approaching guests and spraying them, or, infuse areas w scents from strategically placed misters. The same for unwanted hand outs. It is wonderful to walk past a bakery shop and smell breads and cinnamon rolls for instance or the aroma of hot dogs and French fries when passing Casey's, that said, a Bath and Body Works type of aroma assault on the senses at MK would not enhance the experience.

I am one of those who is allergic to many scents. Not only do they give me an instant headache, but my nose and throat start to close up. I hate, hate, hate the perfume shops. I have to duck out of the emergency exit on Frozen just to avoid the gift shop and then power walk, holding my breath past them. I have also had to get out of line if I get next to someone who does not know how to edit their perfume or cologne. It really is miserable to be out in public. If they started pumping even more perfume like smells, I would be done for. With all of the accommodations they give to allergies, they have ignored this one.

MrPromey

I was there today. This is accurate. They were walking around Fantasyland near Pinocchio clapping and chanting and giving out bags.

Mystery solved - we now know what the "new guest experience" they're bringing to life in fantasyland is. 🙄

My only question is, who's above Bob in the pyramid?

But seriously, It's getting harder and harder to care about any what they do in the parks, anymore. This whole announcement and apparent in-park follow-up seems like something I'd expect to read on The Onion.

Last edited:

oo de lally

Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office

disneyfreak0710

What does this part mean:

"And, we’re excited to share that Scentsy and Walt Disney World® Resort will be working together to bring a new guest experience to life within the Fantasyland area at Magic Kingdom® Park, creating rich storytelling opportunities through fragrance."

That there's going to be fragrance sprayed around the area? As someone with significant allergy to fragrance, I'm nervous as to what this means. And also a bit surprised it hasn't crossed Disney execs minds that people have allergies to this stuff.

yensidtlaw1969

"And, we’re excited to share that Scentsy and Walt Disney World® Resort will be working together to bring a new guest experience to life within the Fantasyland area at Magic Kingdom® Park, creating rich storytelling opportunities through fragrance."

That there's going to be fragrance sprayed around the area? As someone with significant allergy to fragrance, I'm nervous as to what this means. And also a bit surprised it hasn't crossed Disney execs minds that people have allergies to this stuff.
Knowing nothing about what's happening here, I suspect Disney knows better than to ambush guests with scents in a way that may be too aggressive. They've always taken the use of their in-park scents into serious account and regulate them successfully.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Maybe this is the new direction, new product line; Concept art!
1624193992834.png

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They're in for a surprise....
Somehow I doubt that. They have a pretty good handle on population trends. I think they know just about exactly what percentage of the population can't tolerate various scents... who will be incensed... it won't cost them any dollars and cents... doesn't that make sense?

disneyfreak0710

Somehow I doubt that. They have a pretty good handle on population trends. I think they know just about exactly what percentage of the population can't tolerate various scents... who will be incensed... it won't cost them any dollars and cents... doesn't that make sense?

Considering 1 in 13 Americans have asthma and for 50% of them, their attacks are triggered by scents, and then 30% of the general population have scent-sensitivity that triggers some sort of physical reaction, it's not a small amount of people.

Do they know that? Maybe. Though if they did it seems unlikely they'd make a move towards scenting up Fantasyland. That said, as someone else pointed out... We really don't know what it's going to look like yet. If it's a single ride it's not really an issue - you can avoid that ride. However, a Scentsy rep I know had something posted something that made it sound like it's basically going to be an aroma dispersed generally throughout the area. I guess time will tell.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Considering 1 in 13 Americans have asthma and for 50% of them, their attacks are triggered by scents, and then 30% of the general population have scent-sensitivity that triggers some sort of physical reaction, it's not a small amount of people.

Do they know that? Maybe. Though if they did it seems unlikely they'd make a move towards scenting up Fantasyland. That said, as someone else pointed out... We really don't know what it's going to look like yet. If it's a single ride it's not really an issue - you can avoid that ride. However, a Scentsy rep I know had something posted something that made it sound like it's basically going to be an aroma dispersed generally throughout the area. I guess time will tell.
12,700,000 people. Sounds like a lot. On its own. But out of 330,000,000 people, maybe not. Roughly equivalent to 13 out of 330. Certainly not a huge number, and I estimate that they compensate for customer service issues at a higher rate than that already.

They sure don't worry about aggravating all the scent-sitive people when they crank up the smellitizers already in the parks.

It's not like there's an ADA suit waiting in the wings over this.

disneyfreak0710

12,700,000 people. Sounds like a lot. On its own. But out of 330,000,000 people, maybe not. Roughly equivalent to 13 out of 330. Certainly not a huge number, and I estimate that they compensate for customer service issues at a higher rate than that already.

They sure don't worry about aggravating all the scent-sitive people when they crank up the smellitizers already in the parks.

It's not like there's an ADA suit waiting in the wings over this.

MK alone, say there's 60,000 in attendance. That's 2307 people in attendance that have asthma triggered by smells, and another 18,000 who are scent sensitive.

20,000 or 1/3 of their attendance for the day. Not quite so "small" when you put it in proper perspective.

dovetail65

Well, I haven't seen anybody picketing at the front gate over artificial smells in the parks.
Oh my gosh it's the smells I love at Disney sometimes I smell something at home and instantly think of certain areas of Disney. Some smells make me think of attractions, others exact locations. It's part of the experience. Soaring with no smells would not be soaring, the smell of Candy on main street, I love it!

Last edited:

Mark48

Knowing nothing about what's happening here, I suspect Disney knows better than to ambush guests with scents in a way that may be too aggressive. They've always taken the use of their in-part scents into serious account and regulate them successfully.
For Disney to be ambushing guests with this stuff is totally " Scents " less.

techgeek

I have a sensitivity to scents and allergies to some myself. I never have been bothered by anything in the parks, although when traveling sometimes I have to watch out for hotels that get a carried away. Generally I think everything is over-scented today, and don’t get me started on dryer sheets.

Regardless, the greater concern to me here is that MLM hucksters have been allowed to set up shop in the fantasy world that I’ve paid good money to be in. This kind of behavior and advertising presence goes far beyond a sponsorship or some retail shelf space, and is not cool and does not belong at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom