Scariest moment at the park?

Nemo14

I, like most American women do not wear undergarments in the summer heat. Last year while touring Epcot, dressed in a tank and flowing gauzy skirt, an older gent riding an ECV ran over the hem of my skirt. To my horror, the skirt became wound around the tire of the ECV and completely shredded. As I stood there in terror the man looked at his wife and said " must be a member of one of those Brazilian tour groups" and drove away with my skirt in tow.

Boy, I'm glad I'm not like "most American women"...

Last edited:

WEDisney

Ours was about 5 years ago. My party of 8 were going on WEDWAY when there was a backup up top. We came off the conveyor belt with nowhere to go. That wasn't too bad but the people on the belt behind us had no where to go either. The belt kept pushing more and more people up onto the platform. Since there was no where to go the people started falling down as more people were pushed on top of them. People were screaming as they were getting squashed beneath others. Everyone was screaming for the cast member to stop the belt. He froze in what looked like fear. I was holding, my then, 8 month old. I passed her to the member of my family furthest from the belt as I started lifting the children out from under the pile of people on the ground. I was able to get most of the kids off the floor and onto the top platform before the belt was finally stopped. Management was alerted and they wound up giving my family a golden fast pass for the day. I just happened to be at the right place where I was able to help. I'll never forget this one Spanish speaking Mom who hugged and kissed me for getting her daughter off the floor. I wonder if new protocols have been implemented to prevent this from occurring again.

216bruce

On our first trip with the kids to WDW back in '94 we started the vaco at Disney/MGM because I had never seen it before. They wanted to go to "Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set" and they ran in and we promptly lost sight of them. Terrified that a 5 and 8 year old were lost. This was well before cell phones and neither my wife or I had been to the park and had no idea where they were. Searched all over the attraction, wife is hysterical, I am mega ed-off. After about 5 minutes or so (seemed much longer) we spot them. They are like "What's the big deal?". Still talk about that on occasion.
Second scariest time- The "check out, charged to the room bill" you get the morning of check-out at every stay. Yikes!!

lilclerk

When I was little, I wouldn't ride Spaceship Earth because I was terrified of the backward descent, and I was afraid that I would fall out. The only part I remember of riding the original SSE was the TV screens on the descent showing the news, as I clung on to my dad.
Haha, I'm a copy cat! 6 year old me in 1989 was terrified of Spaceship Earth, especially the backwards descent. I thought I was going to fall out and fall all the way down to the bottom of the ball. Not fun.

The only souvenir I remember from that trip is a video on the construction of Spaceship Earth (it actually was probably on all of EPCOT Center, but all I remember is SSE) and I watched it so much I wore the tape out. Know your enemy, that's what I always say.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm not sure if this would count because this thread is for parks..

But the very first Disney cruise my family and I went on (I was like, 12) we went on the Disney Magic. It was great!:) But what we didn't know was that the Haiti earthquake was going on and we were a ways from it, but the ship was rocking BIIIIGGG time. I thought it was fun rocking the ship I didn't know what was going on! But if I would've known it was affected by an earthquake, I would've been scared :p

Tuvalu

Premium Member
On our first trip with the kids to WDW back in '94 we started the vaco at Disney/MGM because I had never seen it before. They wanted to go to "Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set" and they ran in and we promptly lost sight of them. Terrified that a 5 and 8 year old were lost. This was well before cell phones and neither my wife or I had been to the park and had no idea where they were. Searched all over the attraction, wife is hysterical, I am mega ed-off. After about 5 minutes or so (seemed much longer) we spot them. They are like "What's the big deal?". Still talk about that on occasion.
Second scariest time- The "check out, charged to the room bill" you get the morning of check-out at every stay. Yikes!!
Same experience with HISTK playground, only in 1993, boys were 8 and 4 (daughter in her stroller thank goodness!) Hated it!!

Minnie1976

I, like most American women do not wear undergarments in the summer heat. Last year while touring Epcot, dressed in a tank and flowing gauzy skirt, an older gent riding an ECV ran over the hem of my skirt. To my horror, the skirt became wound around the tire of the ECV and completely shredded. As I stood there in terror the man looked at his wife and said " must be a member of one of those Brazilian tour groups" and drove away with my skirt in tow.
Being an American woman from the deep south, that's a new one on me. HA! HA!

THPFanatic

Going on Alien Encounter and moving my head forwards whenever the alien started hitting the back of your head, also all the rats on Honey I shrunk the Audience, and the Bees popping out of the benches on Tough to Be a Bug.

Jahona

This isn't anything involving the parks but happened while I was there. I hadn't been to the parks since the late 90s, as a college graduation present to myself I paid my way to Disney. Towards the end of my trip I get a call from my boss to check an email when I had a chance; to leave input on an ongoing project. As I skim through my email I see one from the college with the subject all in caps. The jist of it was "were sorry but you shouldn't have graduated." Apparently they lost all of my graduation paperwork.

ninjaprincesst

In 2008, my 8-year-old daughter and I went on Peter Pan. The CM pulled down the safety bar, but didn't do it right. It bounced back into the up position. I was yelling at the CMs to stop the ride, but they just stared at us as we started the ascent. I couldn't pull the bar down, so I had one arm hanging on to the back of the vehicle and my other arm around my daughter. It's a short ride, but it felt like it lasted for an hour.
Last November my daughter and I were on Splash Mountain and they did not put the safety lap bar down, I kept trying to get it down but could not get it to lock, I was afraid we would fall out on the drop, but we were obviously o.k. it was still rather nerve racking though.

Last edited:

cw1982

Last November my daughter and I were on Splash Mountain and the did not put the safety lap bar down, I kept trying to get it down but could not get it to lock, I was afraid we would fall out on the drop, but we were obviously o.k. it was still rather nerve racking though.

DH got a little scared the first time we rode Splash Mountain together. He's a big guy (not fat at all, but he has so much muscle that the bmi charts rank him as obese), so when we got in and the bar got lowered, he noticed the bar was nowhere near me. I had about six inches of space between the bar and my lap... maybe more. He even tried to lower it more, but couldn't. For all intents and purposes, that bar only served as something for me to grab lol.

But yeah, I can imagine that must have been scary!

STITCHGEFAN

THIS! A full 30 minutes, audio still going.

Insomnia followed and if I am even unfortunate enough to walk in the shoes of my grandma and have dementia, i imagine I will still sing that song.

Other scary moments are

1) Stood at the top of Summit Plummet for the first time.
2) Losing a family friend's severely disabled daughter on NYE at Epcot in Italian pavilion. Had a manic search before thankfully a lovely woman brought her back. I promise, it is the first and last time we've EVER lost her!

Minnie1976

DH got a little scared the first time we rode Splash Mountain together. He's a big guy (not fat at all, but he has so much muscle that the bmi charts rank him as obese), so when we got in and the bar got lowered, he noticed the bar was nowhere near me. I had about six inches of space between the bar and my lap... maybe more. He even tried to lower it more, but couldn't. For all intents and purposes, that bar only served as something for me to grab lol.

But yeah, I can imagine that must have been scary!
Until a couple of years ago there were no bars on Splash Mountain. We didn't fall out.

cw1982

Until a couple of years ago there were no bars on Splash Mountain. We didn't fall out.

Regardless of whether or not there used to be bars (something I was unaware of), the fact that a bar is there means that there's a reason for a bar to be there, whether anyone else thinks it necessary or not. If WDW went back and spent money on updating the ride to include bars, which are a type of safety restraint, I can promise you that wasn't done because they enjoy spending money for no reason... especially on something that won't have a predictable, positive impact on their bottom line. I never said anyone ever fell out, but clearly someone saw value in those bars if WDW spent money to put them in.

I'm glad you never needed that bar, but that didn't make it any less scary for me at the time that I described above.

Minnie1976

Regardless of whether or not there used to be bars (something I was unaware of), the fact that a bar is there means that there's a reason for a bar to be there, whether anyone else thinks it necessary or not. If WDW went back and spent money on updating the ride to include bars, which are a type of safety restraint, I can promise you that wasn't done because they enjoy spending money for no reason... especially on something that won't have a predictable, positive impact on their bottom line. I never said anyone ever fell out, but clearly someone saw value in those bars if WDW spent money to put them in.

I'm glad you never needed that bar, but that didn't make it any less scary for me at the time that I described above.
I think they did it because people were standing up or getting out of the attraction when they weren't supposed to. You are a little snippy.

cw1982

I think they did it because people were standing up or getting out of the attraction when they weren't supposed to. You are a little snippy.

Wasn't trying to be snippy... but in all fairness, your direct quote and then response to my post implied that what I said was somehow not worthy of being listed on this thread as a scary moment, simply because you had never fallen out. That came across as a bit snippy to me and made me think I needed to defend my post. Again, I'm glad you never fell out, but it's still scary to have something that's a perceived safety feature not work the way it looks like it should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom