Scammers in the parks

Punky

I've only experienced one "Scammer" situation and it was during wishes. Some guy decide he wanted to stand directly in front of my daughter and I during the show after we ( and others) had been there wayyyyy before the show even started. Let's just say the Philly came out of me and he moved.

PrincessRachelT

I had a teenager let her entire group in right before we went to meet Darth Vader. I try not to let things like that bother me, but I was pregnant at the time. We waited in line for the full 35 minutes, and got to the doors. It was this teen and her boyfriend, then us. All of a sudden, her (non elderly) parents were there, her friend, friends SO, other friend and friends SO, and grandma and grandpa. I was beyond angry, and my poor husband had to deal with me being really upset. I loudly huffed and the girl spun around and was like "do you want to go in front of us?" I was too upset at that point (thanks pregnancy hormones), and just said "no, I wouldn't want to skip the line, unlike some people".
I hate line jumpers.

Blackburn23

I've got a co-worker who "borrows" his in-laws handicapped parking hang tag. Sees nothing wrong with it. Offered to lend it to me for a concert, but I declined. It is a minor thing, but what if you prevented a person who needed that space from using it? Some people think only about themselves.

That one hits close to home and I respect and appreciate that you declined. My cousin suffered from spinal bifida for years and I cannot tell you how many times we had to park in the road to unload him becuase the handicap spots were taken by cars with no stickers, or we would be unloading and watch a person walk right out and drive off. Its infuriating for those that actually need it. They might be empty alot but when they are needed they are truly needed.

rob0519

Scam:noun 1.a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit; swindle.

People cutting in front of you at an attraction or a parade is technically, not a scam. Rude, inconsiderate, belligerent, and a lot of other words, yes.
Lying about an injury or medical condition to get an assistance pass is a scam.
Parking is a spot for the disabled with no placard or one that doesn't belong to you is a scam.
Trying to return merchandise you never paid for with out a receipt is a scam.
Getting you to pay tens of thousands of dollars to make your own bed and take out your own trash on vacation is a scam...no wait. As someone else pointed out, that's DVC.

epcotisbest

Me thinks he thinks DVC is a scam ;).
Oh, well I just missed that. Yeah, they really took advantage of us a couple of weeks ago, making us stay at one of the most beautiful, spacious, best landscaped, best located properties on site. Four pools, full kitchen, balcony, views, tranquility. Each time we stay at a DVC property, it is incredible. We have now stayed at about eight different ones, several of those multiple times. I plan to keep getting scammed for a long time.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yeah that's extremely tacky when people do crap like that.

And illegal. Just last week I noticed a car parked in one of the handicapped spots at my local grocery store with no hanging tag or handicapped tag (in Florida, you can purchase a car tag with the handicapped logo and a number on it; not sure if that makes it legal to park in a handicapped space without the hanging tag). So I told the employee at customer service about it. He asked what I thought he could do (seriously?!). So I told him to call his manager, go out and get the tag number of the car and over the public address system ask the owner of that car to come to customer service. And then politely tell them that it is illegal in Florida to park in a handicapped space without proper ID and they can be fined $250. My dad was handicapped and I'm recovering from an injury that I potentially could have acquired one of those hanging tags from my doctor. So it really makes me mad when people do this.

216bruce

We have a pet name for these type of folks and their spawn. We endearingly call them "Bufords" from the song at Country Bears.
No idea how it started or why, but singing or humming the song that mentions not "whupping lil' Buford, but shooting him instead", gives us solace when we see them and the crapola they pull. They also tend to look like 'that bear'.
I don't think any of these behaviors are new at all, maybe there's more of it due to more folks in the parks. We've been calling out 'Bufords' for well over a decade.

bsiev1977

Scam:noun 1.a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit; swindle.

People cutting in front of you at an attraction or a parade is technically, not a scam. Rude, inconsiderate, belligerent, and a lot of other words, yes.
Lying about an injury or medical condition to get an assistance pass is a scam.
Parking is a spot for the disabled with no placard or one that doesn't belong to you is a scam.
Trying to return merchandise you never paid for with out a receipt is a scam.
Getting you to pay tens of thousands of dollars to make your own bed and take out your own trash on vacation is a scam...no wait. As someone else pointed out, that's DVC.
Does the DVC promise you housekeeping services? If not, it's not a scam. Might not be a good deal, but it's not a scam.

tedsgibson

You're one of those aforementioned "How many in your party?" "69" guests, aren't you?[/QUOTE]

o my, no. I actually had not thought about anyone thinking that was ok but after reading it ... there has to be a crazy story or two to go with it.

OliveMcFly

There was an issue with the MK Cast parking bus years back. When the line would stretch down the tunnel you would have cast members stand at the side of the front of the line and squeeze on the bus. After lots of complaints security was present to control the line. I'm not sure what made them think they were so superior as to skip the line.

R W B

I've got a co-worker who "borrows" his in-laws handicapped parking hang tag. Sees nothing wrong with it. Offered to lend it to me for a concert, but I declined. It is a minor thing, but what if you prevented a person who needed that space from using it? Some people think only about themselves.
My mom keeps her hanging handicap tag in my car since she rides with me often, she has a handicap plate for her van though. To be honest sometimes it's tempting to pull that tag out and hang it up to get a close parking spot but I just wouldn't feel right doing it. Not to mention here handicap people have a pictured ID they have to carry that matchs their tags.

Juliaz3

The worst offenders are the S. Americans. Most of the line-cutters who suddenly don't speak English that many of you are referring to are speakers of Portuguese who I can tell you for a fact do understand and speak English perfectly fine. A few years ago we had a group try to line cut on us and pull the no speak English thing. I laid into them in their language and not only were they shocked (and said in almost disbelief "you speak Portuguese?!) but they stopped and left the line LOL!

My husband is Brazilian and Peruvian, so the Brazilian kids can't play those games with us either, and he speaks some Japanese as well. I speak Russian and French, so we've got that covered, too. ;-)

epcotisbest

My mom keeps her hanging handicap tag in my car since she rides with me often, she has a handicap plate for her van though. To be honest sometimes it's tempting to pull that tag out and hang it up to get a close parking spot but I just wouldn't feel right doing it. Not to mention here handicap people have a pictured ID they have to carry that matchs their tags.
Says a lot about your character that you have it right there and don't use it. Good for you. Thinking about others and doing what is right vs. what is easy is always the best alternative, at least in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom