Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

Atomicmickey

What is this Merf guy's name on Twitter? A search for Merf doesn't bring anything up....

Again, from my point of view as an interested observer, it's fun to try to cross-reference and triangulate amongst all the different opinions/insiders/rumorists, both the fluffy happy ones and the bitter ones. (And those in between) Somewhere in there is generally a grain of truth, teasing it out is a bit of a hobby/obsession/frustration.:lol:

jt04

OK, then I won't tell you that a week after I return, I'm headed to the mid-atlantic for 10 days, including a holiday weekend at Bussh Gardens Williamsburg, the only park in the USA that I have wanted to see for years and never been ... and that two weeks after that I 'may' be headed to the Carsland opening in Anaheim and then ... nah, really getting ahead of myself.:) ... I just want to get onboard the little boat that's taking me across the Pond (if we don't hit icebergs or have captains flip us while trying to impress their skanky dancer girlfriends!)

~Change is coming. BIG, SPIRITED change!~

Will your trust fund ever run out of money? :shrug:

menamechris

Good change?
I know you won't reveal much more than what you have already hinted at but not all big change is good. Thanks! :wave:

I'm thinkin don't get your hopes up that the change will impact the parks too terribly much. I am guessing a management switch-a-roo...

WDW1974

What is this Merf guy's name on Twitter? A search for Merf doesn't bring anything up....

He is Epcot Encyclopedia (@) on the Twitverse.

And to give him some praise, he is writing/posting about recent plans filed for the conversion of RC to a FW DVC resort on his blog.

He didn't break the original news on that story. Either I did or Lee MacDonald over on LP.com ... but he is the only one online I know that has the very recent plans up.

So, kudos to him.

Again, from my point of view as an interested observer, it's fun to try to cross-reference and triangulate amongst all the different opinions/insiders/rumorists, both the fluffy happy ones and the bitter ones. (And those in between) Somewhere in there is generally a grain of truth, teasing it out is a bit of a hobby/obsession/frustration.:lol:

Most of the bitter ones are simply realists who aren't getting anything from WDW Co to write about it, while the positive ones generally have more than pixie dust in mind when they gush about the company online.

I wonder how many O-Town/east coast bloggers are gonna get free weeks in Anaheim in June?

stitch2008

You're probably aware, the theming of that park is done somewhat well - like a hybrid of Fantasyland and the European countries in World Showcase. It's not Disney quality but it exceeded my expectations.

Curse of DarKastle is pretty cool, but needed some help to get up to Spiderman level. Apollo's Chariot was a really fun coaster, unfortunately Big Bad Wolf is no longer there.

Big Bad Wolf was removed for two reasons. 1, it was a nightmare structurally. The annual maintenance on the ride was enough to make your head spin. And 2, it's being replaced by, IMO, a vastly superior ride. Think Potter is great? Verbolten will blow you away.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Big Bad Wolf was removed for two reasons. 1, it was a nightmare structurally. The annual maintenance on the ride was enough to make your head spin. And 2, it's being replaced by, IMO, a vastly superior ride. Think Potter is great? Verbolten will blow you away.

Annual maintenance is nowhere near as high as one would expect. Structurally, it was fairly sound and had an outstanding reliability pattern. The turndown is Arrow gave it an expiration date and BGW is stuck on safety so they went with it. I am taking you haven't seen the test videos of 'ole VerBloated yet? She should be a fine one.

stitch2008

Annual maintenance is nowhere near as high as one would expect. Structurally, it was fairly sound and had an outstanding reliability pattern. The turndown is Arrow gave it an expiration date and BGW is stuck on safety so they went with it. I am taking you haven't seen the test videos of 'ole VerBloated yet? She should be a fine one.

It was higher then most coasters to be sure. Yes the safety was a major concern. I think if S&S did more comprehensive service on older Arrows instead of letting the parks deal with them, Wolf would still be around.

No I havent Verbolten run yet. But im ready to take that dive again. It's not a massive ride. It just very effects heavy as a lot of surprises.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
It was higher then most coasters to be sure. Yes the safety was a major concern. I think if S&S did more comprehensive service on older Arrows instead of letting the parks deal with them, Wolf would still be around.

No I havent Verbolten run yet. But im ready to take that dive again. It's not a massive ride. It just very effects heavy as a lot of surprises.

Two hefty launches and the final drop. Should be fairly stout. They botched the event building pretty heavy. They are beyond lucky to be on schedule

JustInTime

It was just announced that Avatar 2 is being pushed back till 2015. So the changing timeline for the Avatarland makes sense. Also, if they are nowhere near complete with the 2nd film, it could explain why there isn't much development. Imagineers can't really base a new land off something that is still 3 years away and nowhere near finished. Not much to go by visually.

Also, the setting for movie 2 is 100% confirmed to be underwater now. A few other ideas had been played with, but for Avatar 2, it's under the sea we go. Coincidentally, the two biggest types of animals that are missing from Animal Kingdom can be filled with this project: Aquatic life and imaginary creatures.

stitch2008

Two hefty launches and the final drop. Should be fairly stout. They botched the event building pretty heavy. They are beyond lucky to be on schedule

Eh. In the end everything will be okay I think. Still a lot of work to go until May 18th.

It was just announced that Avatar 2 is being pushed back till 2015. So the changing timeline for the Avatarland makes sense. Also, if they are nowhere near complete with the 2nd film, it could explain why there isn't much development. Imagineers can't really base a new land off something that is still 3 years away and nowhere near finished. Not much to go by visually.

Also, the setting for movie 2 is 100% confirmed to be underwater now. A few other ideas had been played with, but for Avatar 2, it's under the sea we go. Coincidentally, the two biggest types of animals that are missing from Animal Kingdom can be filled with this project: Aquatic life and imaginary creatures.

Exactly. WDI isn't really gonna get to do anything until Cameron and WETA lock down the physical world of Pandora for the sequels. Now I'm sure WDI is up to speed with WETA and Cameron. But they kinda have to play the wait and see game until things are more locked down.

The movie wont, totally take place underwater. It'll just be a place they explore. But I agree with you. Aquatics and Imaginary creatures would filled with this.

Bill Pecos

"We’re building a themed land with Walt Disney theme parks. Not just a ride, but a whole world where people will get to return to Pandora. This is initially going to be down in Orlando at the Magic Kingdom and what they’ve decided to do is not to put it at the Hollywood Studio but at The Animal Kingdom. The Animal Kingdom is about worlds, and the studio is about movies. This is about a world. We have some exciting ride development, and there’s going to be a multiple number of attractions there, and food and retail.

Jim is definitely hands on with it all. Hands on with the design of it, hands on with what it’s going to be about. I don’t know if Jim will pick up a camera for the film elements of the attractions but he’s very involved in the story that’s going to be told."​

From this article: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/04/james-cameron-and-jon-landau-tell-bleeding-cool-about-the-avatar-sequels-and-spin-offs/

asianway

It's not my site, but to my knowledge none of them were banned except Merfie (the only person I know to have been banned by pretty much every Disney fan forum that exists).

So, that's between them and Steve ... but if they weren't banned, I don't see why they can't return. I leave and return to sites all the time ... I'm about to do so here ... and I may not be back posting for months (too bad my trip is ONLY five weeks!:cool:).

I don't know all that went down and some of them are friends (even in the REAL world), but I don't agree with how they handled their exit and said so. I can't imagine this site wouldn't be better with their perspectives (and they most definitely do NOT agree with me on everything ... citrus swirls anyone?:ROFLOL::drevil::wave:) ... I'm just afraid they've gotten used to the communicating via Twitter deal (again, my point on social networking killing/harming communities like this!)

Aaaaaaaaaaand thats a wrap - hes shutting it down. Was that the big change???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom