Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
With major shareholders requesting no more major expenditures, if Avatar doesn't happen, you can almost bet that money won't be used elsewhere.

I'm not on board with the Avatar idea for two reasons:
(1) I don't know anything about the sequels, so none of us have any way of making an educated guess as to what the land would be like.
(2) I'd rather have a major Star Wars expansion at DHS for the same money.

If a SW land is off the table, I really can't see anything else having that kind of appeal. Avatar would be the best opportunity, but it's too much of a gamble IMO with the sequels still 3-4 years away.

I'd love to see something more appropriate come to AK, but there's nothing proposed that would have the same impact as Avatar. As much as we'd like something like Beastly Kingdom, I doubt it would have much appeal to anyone but us Disney die-hards.

I disagree. Outside of Carsland, and Mickey's Toontown/Birthdayland, no lands are based off of properties. Why is basing a new land off a movie the only way to have an impact?

Sharkreef11

I don't really think the general public gives a rat's tooty fruity about Avatar. It was a huge movie, but so was Twilight.

What are they gonna do with Avatar? Have an attraction with a bunch of people from Pandora running around with bows and arrows, while our military shoots at them with machine guns?

I strongly agree. When I heard that they were bringing in Avatar I was a little taken back. At first I didn't like it and I guess I still don't. I ultimately trust Disney and believe whatever they do (if they do) will turn out great. I just have no idea what they could possibly do, but that's also what can make it fun. I just can't put together Disney with Avatar in my head. I never saw that coming. I thought the movie was ok. Cool graphics but I would be fine if I never saw the movie again. The only reason its the highest grossing movie of all time is because of 3D and IMAX ticket prices.

With that rant aside, I would love more pixar related attractions at HS. I mean why not. People who love and go to WDW want this stuff. I truly don't think there is enough Monster's Inc, Bugs Life, Walle, etc. Why not utilize Those films in more attractions. Toy story is about the only one that does get used. I have always wondered why Pixar isn't incorporated more for attractions especially when they are some of the most popular films out there.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
What are they gonna do with Avatar? Have an attraction with a bunch of people from Pandora running around with bows and arrows, while our military shoots at them with machine guns?

I'm honestly not sure whether or not you're being sarcastic here...That just seems a bit closed minded to me. We don't even know what will be in the sequels yet. Please don't take offense to this, but I'm sure the imagineers could take even just the first movie and come up with something better than the attraction concept you posted.

If you were being sarcastic, please disregard this post. :lol:

captainkidd

I'm honestly not sure whether or not you're being sarcastic here...That just seems a bit closed minded to me. We don't even know what will be in the sequels yet. Please don't take offense to this, but I'm sure the imagineers could take even just the first movie and come up with something better than the attraction concept you posted.

If you were being sarcastic, please disregard this post. :lol:

Well, a little sarcastic. But seriously, I'm just going by what the first film was about, which was primarily war.

pax_65

Things have been quiet since the initial announcement.

I would have thought by now we'd at least hear about where the land is going to go, what other attractions and shows might be affected/moved, etc.

If things stay too quiet for too long, it starts to remind me of Hyperion Wharf or Western Way... big projects that just faded away.

sittle

Frankly, I don't think Disney needs Avatar or Avatarland, they have a plethora of exciting and unique material at their fingertips.... They've barely touched upon some of the Pixar stuff... or utilized it well... Laugh floor isn't as good as it could be and while Buzz's Space Ranger Spin and TSM are decent attractions there is so much more to be explored.

Once they get their animation right again (the latest Winnie movie was great), they should have more to expand upon...

Toy Story could just as easily become a land in it's own right.... what an immersive area that would create.

Mr_Incredible

Why not Pride rock? A dark ride in the elephant bone yard, a vast incredible paradise where timon and puma reside? A 3-d harry potter type ride takign you through the wilderbeast stampede, Scar in the caves with the hyienas with green flames, bones etc...

Lion King is timeless, I know they have the show and Rafikis planet watch....but there is potential there no?

Silver Figment

I'd take a Star Wars land over Avatar any day. Would love to be able to walk into the Cantina, hear the familiar sound effect that plays when Luke and C3PO first enter, and hear and see an audio animatronic version of the band playing that oh so familiar tune. Give me a tall glass of blue milk while I'm at it. :)

This. I just don't see Avatar as a movie with lasting appeal. Star wars definitely has lasting appeal. I think Harry Potter does as well so Universal did that one right. I seriously think Avatars popularity is going to blow over maybe 5-10 years down the road. Then you're left with a really expensive land that nobody really cares about. These are just my thoughts. I didn't really see what was so amazing about Avatar or why it would be considered better than other films.

AndyMagic

Frankly, I don't think Disney needs Avatar or Avatarland, they have a plethora of exciting and unique material at their fingertips.... They've barely touched upon some of the Pixar stuff... or utilized it well... Laugh floor isn't as good as it could be and while Buzz's Space Ranger Spin and TSM are decent attractions there is so much more to be explored.

Once they get their animation right again (the latest Winnie movie was great), they should have more to expand upon...

Toy Story could just as easily become a land in it's own right.... what an immersive area that would create.

That's just what Disney World needs. More Toy Story and Pixar rides. :rolleyes:

Rasvar

Avatar is still mostly in Blue Sky phase. It is still being worked on. no sign that it is not going to happen at this time.

OK, let me correct that, after checking around this morning, it is still be worked on but there are signs of frustration.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Well, a little sarcastic. But seriously, I'm just going by what the first film was about, which was primarily war.

Fair enough. I think they would be better off putting less focus on the plot and focusing primarily on the attributes of the environment and the activities of the Navi on Pandora. Maybe the land and the major attractions are set in a time that is either long after or long before the war with the humans. If its set in a time after or before where there is only harmony you could easily leave out the war aspects, or at least keep them to a minimum, and focus on the environments and adventures of said environments.

TP2000

My hunch on Avatar? Disney is trying to reel it back in after realizing it was an executive hunch that shouldn't have been played.

The Avatarland thing was the ultimate Black Ops project that came out of nowhere and none of the usual insiders knew anything about. It's been reported it was cooked up last summer on only the highest levels of executive leadership, primarily in Burbank. And they didn't even have any solid ride concepts, and the WDI Blue Sky process hadn't even begun. Then they announced it and the world went... huh?

Now that it's out there, they've probably done some customer research on the idea and the concept, as well as gotten a better grasp on what WDI could do artistically. And the results are less than stellar, especially from the customer research side.

And now they are having that moment where the executives go "Uh... guys? I think we kinda made a mistake here."

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn they are trying to reel Avatarland back in, or at least dramatically downscale expectations for it as a megabudget Cars Land type addition. Perhaps just do a stage show or something and try and find something better for WDW's version of a Cars Land-style megabudget addition?

AvengersWDW

Banned
You mean don't build amazing, cutting edge rides and attractions that draw the masses?:lol:

(Note: I'm not a fan of Avatarland, but saying "Don't be Universal" is hilarious)

Despicable Me and Rip Ride and Rockit are just so cutting edge....same with Dragon challenge...that paint job is so CUTTING EDGE

ctxak98

ok....why must we use so much pixar??? TO me personally I think a land based one one movie in general is a really bad idea. It really doesnt fit anywhere except Magic Kingdom. Why I think Avatar will work is because it isnt Disney and there will be different areas to explore. Im sure if they do eventually make avatarland it will be great I mean it will probably take a while to come up with the concept art based pon the fact its a whole LAND and so many new characters that the imagineers arent familiar with. Im sure they want to make it PERFECT before making anything final. Just my thoughts but NO MORE PIXAR...atleast for now. I feel like everything is pixar lately.

Acolli18

If it does fall through I say Disney should take the money and actually make the beast kingdom or whatever it was called. I always am a little sad going to AK and seeing the Dragon on the sign but no dragons are in the park. I think a section dedicated to the fantasy of mystical creatures would be a better place to put your money long term than Avatar. Think about it dragons and such have been around for hundreds of year and still are as popular of a fantasy as ever.

I'm a little embarrassed to say as the Disney lover I am, I've never noticed the dragon on the sign. Guess I need to pay twice as much attention to the little things next time I'm there.

WDWchick

I don't think that they should have a land based off of it... but I think they should do something for the movie Hercules... a true classic with great music... would make a great ride!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom