Say.... What if Avatarland got cancelled?

dcibrando

Put an Avatar-themed attraction in one of the empty areas of DHS, and 'spin' it to pretend there wasn't a cancellation...

then, announce a new 'land' in AK once you get a better fit (that's also not an over-reach in economics).

Brillant idea! :sohappy:

Todd H

I'd take a Star Wars land over Avatar any day. Would love to be able to walk into the Cantina, hear the familiar sound effect that plays when Luke and C3PO first enter, and hear and see an audio animatronic version of the band playing that oh so familiar tune. Give me a tall glass of blue milk while I'm at it. :)

Brewer

I've never really understood the logic of Avatar particularly as Disney has such a back catalogue of films involving animals - surely a recipe for attractions in an animal theme park.

WDWFREAK53

I've never really understood the logic of Avatar particularly as Disney has such a back catalogue of films involving animals - surely a recipe for attractions in an animal theme park.

People who go to Disney are expecting Disney...Disney wants to attract people that normally wouldn't go to Disney.

zooey

I'm one of those people who hates the Avatar idea, although I will say I've become more complacent since it was announced. What your proponents don't understand is that it isn't the Avatar property necessarily that gets us fist-waving, because Disney would make it work in the end. It's the money they're spending on it. Compared to all the things that need a rehab, a redo, or expansion (ALL of Future World, for instance) Avatarland is not going to help fix anything except making Animal Kingdom guests stay longer. So it's more about where that money is going. It could be going to much better use if spread around the entire property. With all that dough, you could get multiple E-tickets, and have some left over for other things.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It's the money they're spending on it. Compared to all the things that need a rehab, a redo, or expansion (ALL of Future World, for instance) Avatarland is not going to help fix anything except making Animal Kingdom guests stay longer. So it's more about where that money is going. It could be going to much better use if spread around the entire property. With all that dough, you could get multiple E-tickets, and have some left over for other things.

Perfect! That's exactly what I would have said in my last post, if it hadn't been almost 4:00 a.m., rendering me inarticulate with sleep deprivation.

Empress Room

To me, the more concerning aspect of this rumor is that it would once again be an announced attraction/development that is then cancelled, which really does send a concerning message to Disney's fan base.

Whether you agree that Avatar would be a good attraction for AK or not, when Disney sets a flourishing PR event to announce the development and nothing comes of it, it makes Disney appear at best unorganized and at worst incompetent. If Avatar falls through, it will just add to the Western Way and Hyperion Wharf fiascos, and it makes Disney look completely incapable of responding to Universal's homerun with Harry Potter.

I understand that WDW has had a history of failed or cancelled events and attractions (e.g. Spain and Israel pavilions at Epcot etc.) but it could afford those misfires when it was the only game in town. I think, from a PR perspective, swinging and missing after announcing these attractions, now that Universal is becoming much more popular with HP and likely HP 2.0, Disney appears to be on its heels.

It needs to announce and build something spectacular; otherwise, it will continue to appear to be playing catch up.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Since I have no desire to see Avatar - I say :sohappy:

Invest the $$ somewhere else in the parks. New e-ticket for DHS or EPCOT?

Prototype82

Speak for yourself. I have zero interest in Avatar.
You're a Disney-forum-goer. Not the general public. :ROFLOL: There is some true to what he said. A LOT of truth. People don't just want dark rides of animated classics. That would make Disney stale. Disney isn't JUST about that. They're about making the impossible possible. That's exactly what Avatar is an opportunity for. It would be an adventure that we could actually take seriously.

captainkidd

You're a Disney-forum-goer. Not the general public. :ROFLOL: There is some true to what he said. A LOT of truth. People don't just want dark rides of animated classics. That would make Disney stale. Disney isn't JUST about that. They're about making the impossible possible. That's exactly what Avatar is an opportunity for. It would be an adventure that we could actually take seriously.

I don't really think the general public gives a rat's tooty fruity about Avatar. It was a huge movie, but so was Twilight.

What are they gonna do with Avatar? Have an attraction with a bunch of people from Pandora running around with bows and arrows, while our military shoots at them with machine guns?

zooey

I don't really think the general public gives a rat's tooty fruity about Avatar. It was a huge movie, but so was Twilight.

What are they gonna do with Avatar? Have an attraction with a bunch of people from Pandora running around with bows and arrows, while our military shoots at them with machine guns?

I've heard that Imagineers have been less than inspired by the property. There are many complicated logistics in play. Pandora is lush and beautiful, but translating that to a themed environment is almost impossible, especially if guest expectation is that they'll step into the Pandora of the movie. That Pandora doesn't have sidewalks and pathways, counter service restaurants, drinking fountains, restrooms, and the list goes on.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it can't be done, but it's pretty darn close.
That's why HP is so good. The environments lend themselves perfectly to theme park translation, because it's all recognizable and mostly commonplace (brick post-and-lintel buildings, and such.)

Prototype82

No. Not that. Think about what park this is. This is Animal Kingdom. A flight dark ride with animatronic creatures, ginormous plants rigged with fiber-optics. Attractions about creatures of fantasy. The source material gives Disney a giant bestiary to work from. People flocked to this movie because of the visuals. It's safe to say that's exactly what they plan on delivering.

rioriz

Exactly! I cannot believe people would jump on the proverbial bandwagon and celebrate before we even get concept art. Animal Kingdom is one park that is more about the experience than the name of the attraction. Knowing how TDO has been the past few years if Pandora gets canceled don't look for any replacement for a long time

Ignohippo

With major shareholders requesting no more major expenditures, if Avatar doesn't happen, you can almost bet that money won't be used elsewhere.

I'm not on board with the Avatar idea for two reasons:
(1) I don't know anything about the sequels, so none of us have any way of making an educated guess as to what the land would be like.
(2) I'd rather have a major Star Wars expansion at DHS for the same money.

If a SW land is off the table, I really can't see anything else having that kind of appeal. Avatar would be the best opportunity, but it's too much of a gamble IMO with the sequels still 3-4 years away.

I'd love to see something more appropriate come to AK, but there's nothing proposed that would have the same impact as Avatar. As much as we'd like something like Beastly Kingdom, I doubt it would have much appeal to anyone but us Disney die-hards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom