Say goodbye to the treehouses

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
IF they combine the tree houses with say ...another resort, would they be able to share the ADA requirements?
I am not positive...sounds like a legit loophole. I know a number of the buildings at PORS do not have elevators but they also have ground floor rooms. There could also be an alternate elevation of an ADA compliant tree-house not shown in that document. The 84 square foot center support structure could easily be fitted with an elevator but the floor plan would suffer aesthetically from it hence the reason it would not be done to all of the tree-houses.

bpiper

We own points at Saratoga. In the paperwork we got as part of the purchase, there is a plot plan for the Saratoga grounds. The plot plan shows that the Tree Houses and their land is part of the Saratoga resort.

When we were there in December, I noticed that even though Saratoga is finished, the construction office trailers accross from the resort and next to the golf course's support buildings appeared to be still there. I wonder if they will use them to manage the construction process and use that area to stage the construction materials... There won't be much room around the tree houses to store the material.

Didn't the old Disney Institute handle the check-in for the tree houses?

If so, then they either have to be used for cast housing again or if they are going to have guests stay in them, then Saratoga will have to handle checkin since they can't build anything new.

My bet is that they are going to be DVC.

Three reasons why.

1. The floor plan shows that they will have 3 bedrooms, 1 king bed and 2 queen beds. Why have a king bed if they are cast housing?

2. The costs to tear them down and rebuild them for cast housing are too high. It would be cheaper to just rent regular apartments for the cast like they are doing now. The only way to recover the cost would be to either rent them or sell them as part of the DVC.

3. When we asked our DVC guide about them she said that she didn't know anything... If they weren't going to be part of the resort, it would have been known at resort creation and the guide would have to know that and disclose that due to timeshare disclosure laws. If they were going to be part of the resort eventually, but not for several years, Disney wouldn't tell the guides anything one way or another so that they wouldn't run afoul of the timeshare disclosure laws.....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We own points at Saratoga. In the paperwork we got as part of the purchase, there is a plot plan for the Saratoga grounds. The plot plan shows that the Tree Houses and their land is part of the Saratoga resort.

When we were there in December, I noticed that even though Saratoga is finished, the construction office trailers accross from the resort and next to the golf course's support buildings appeared to be still there. I wonder if they will use them to manage the construction process and use that area to stage the construction materials... There won't be much room around the tree houses to store the material.

If so, then they either have to be used for cast housing again or if they are going to have guests stay in them, then Saratoga will have to handle checkin since they can't build anything new.

Three reasons why.

1. The floor plan shows that they will have 3 bedrooms, 1 king bed and 2 queen beds. Why have a king bed if they are cast housing?

2. The costs to tear them down and rebuild them for cast housing are too high. It would be cheaper to just rent regular apartments for the cast like they are doing now. The only way to recover the cost would be to either rent them or sell them as part of the DVC.

3. When we asked our DVC guide about them she said that she didn't know anything... If they weren't going to be part of the resort, it would have been known at resort creation and the guide would have to know that and disclose that due to timeshare disclosure laws. If they were going to be part of the resort eventually, but not for several years, Disney wouldn't tell the guides anything one way or another so that they wouldn't run afoul of the timeshare disclosure laws.....
I think you are correct. There is no logical reason to fully demolish these buildings and rebuild them in the same form to be used solely for cast housing. If they need more cast housing it would be far more economical to build an apartment style building somewhere else on property.

Buried20KLeague

Three reasons why.

So I'm wondering then if you think they'd be part of SSR, meaning if you're right, that if you have SSR as your home resort, that would be part of it? Or do you mean that you're guessing it would be it's own property?

jt04

So I'm wondering then if you think they'd be part of SSR, meaning if you're right, that if you have SSR as your home resort, that would be part of it? Or do you mean that you're guessing it would be it's own property?

I think these might end up being high end luxury villas geared towards golfers since it connects directly to the golf course. This was the original concept I believe.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Am I reading something wrong? That is a BIG difference in size.
That big difference is size only refers to the amount of flood encroachment for each tree-house. The size of the actual building looks like it will either be identical to the existing tree-houses or slightly larger.

When ever a structure is built, especially on wetlands, the amount of square footage of property that will be covered with non-porous material (namely concrete and asphalt) is calculated. This is referred to as the area of flood encroachment or net impact. In the original design there was a 384 square foot room on the first level as well as 4 columns. The new design calls for an 84 square foot hexagon shaped support at the center of the structure and 14 columns. This reduces the flood encroachment for each building from 343 square feet to 95 square feet.

WDW Monorail

That big difference is size only refers to the amount of flood encroachment for each tree-house. The size of the actual building looks like it will either be identical to the existing tree-houses or slightly larger.

When ever a structure is built, especially on wetlands, the amount of square footage of property that will be covered with non-porous material (namely concrete and asphalt) is calculated. This is referred to as the area of flood encroachment or net impact. In the original design there was a 384 square foot room on the first level as well as 4 columns. The new design calls for an 84 square foot hexagon shaped support at the center of the structure and 14 columns. This reduces the flood encroachment for each building from 343 square feet to 95 square feet.

Yes, but why is there such a difference? Technique?

Thanks by the way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes, but why is there such a difference? Technique?

Thanks by the way.
The ground level is simply a different design. Take a look at the last page in this pdf The floor plan on the top of the page is the existing structure and the one on the bottom is the new design. You will see that in the old design that the ground level covered almost half of the property. On the new design the ground level is less than 10% of the property. I do not know why the original design was done this way (I suspect it was to either add square footage or reduce the number of columns) as the construction methods that will be used to build the new tree houses will not be all that different then the ones used to build the original ones.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The treehouse villas aren't all identical, and Disney probably wont build them all newly identicle either. Even in large hotels like the Contemporary and the Polynesian where all the rooms on the same level of the same floor appear to be the same "Standard" room - they're not all identical.

They move things for electrical, air/heat, etc.. kinda like how the design of a cruise ship dictates some of the rooms. they'll modify some of the villas to fit their surroundings from this master type, and they'll tweak some to be ADA.

WDW Monorail

The ground level is simply a different design. Take a look at the last page in this pdf The floor plan on the top of the page is the existing structure and the one on the bottom is the new design. You will see that in the old design that the ground level covered almost half of the property. On the new design the ground level is less than 10% of the property. I do not know why the original design was done this way (I suspect it was to either add square footage or reduce the number of columns) as the construction methods that will be used to build the new tree houses will not be all that different then the ones used to build the original ones.

After looking a little closer to the PDF, I realized why the square footage is much smaller. There is no ground floor. Just a support base and support columns.
Essentially, the new structures will actually create wetlands.
Thanks.

JPVonDrake

Just a thought, but the stairs on some units could be replaced by ramps to comply with ADA laws. This is what was done with some of the Wilderness Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort during their last major remodel in the 90's. Like the cabins, the new treehouses could be made fully accessible once inside since the living area is now completely on one floor.

TheKeeler7

I remember as a kid hearing about the tree houses and thinking it would be a cool place to stay. This is an exciting development esspecially if it's a DVC resort. :sohappy:

jt04

I understand DVC people getting exited about this but Disney needs a golf resort since the Disney Inn was converted to SoG. So I think this could be turned into a resort that caters to the golf crowd. But who knows at this point?

Just a thought, but the stairs on some units could be replaced by ramps to comply with ADA laws. This is what was done with some of the Wilderness Cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort during their last major remodel in the 90's. Like the cabins, the new treehouses could be made fully accessible once inside since the living area is now completely on one floor.

That would have to be one mighty long ramp. I think you need 1 foot of ramp for every inch or elevation (Might be a little off, remembering from a couple years ago when my sister was building a ramp) Most likely for that elevation you would need an elevator, but still not out of the question.

Teenchy

I love how this Government body shamelessly posts a copy of the check used as payment on this public document. Why not post his Social while were at it? :mad:

I thought the same thing...thankfully not my checking account!....I guess he will need Life Lock.

Also I think we now need to change the thread name to ....
...Hello new Treehouses.

And once again why I love this site and its members....in a short amount of time members have provided information (and documentation) that took this thread from there goes the Treehouses to here are plans for the new treehouses....to keep on the lookout for more DVC! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom