Saving Mr. Banks. Going to see it or not?

Tiggerfanatic

Well, my Wife and I went to go see the film and really liked it. I need to go see it again because I always hype myself up and get clouded in the excitement of seeing films. Going back a second time lets me see the film in a clearer way if you guys know what I mean. I really don't think the general public knows EXACTLY what they are in for so there will be a lot of people who wont like it...expecting more of a happy Disney film. I actually haven't seen Mary Poppins since I was a child so there were little things that I didn't quite get. My Wife, however is a HUGE fan and knew exactly what was going on. I wont give spoilers however we LOVED the end credits....really interesting.
It was the same way for my DH and me - I should have had him watch Mary Poppins before we went to see Mr. Banks. He hasn't seen it since he was a kid either ( I won't say how old he is but he saw it in the theater when it was first released) and didn't get all the subtle little hints and clues like Albert the horse and Katy Nana until I explained them to him.

MerMom1981

Glad I read this entire thread before sharing my thoughts. Your review captured the film so well, I feel no need to elaborate. Well done.
I'll only add that my first thought as I walked out of the theater was that Walt would've been so proud.

Ok, I just got back from Saving Mr. Banks a few hours ago. And, thankfully, I won't need to worry about spoilers very much; because as @WED99 pointed out, the story is public and already fairly well known. As a result, while I will avoid too many details, I will delve a bit into the depths of the movie and the characters.

There are so many wonderful things to say about the movie, so apologies for the length of this review. So, that out of the way, lets begin!

Here's some music to listen to as you read...

The movie is really two tales in one. I don't want to get much more into that, outside of to say it was so delicately and perfectly done, that neither overpowers the other. Rather, it's like they dance together on the screen with smooth transitions and references that remind you that, while there are two tales, it's really one story.

When they do intertwine, it's touching and truly magical. Yes, magical. Sometimes it will leave you smiling, sometimes with a tear in your eye. One example? Pears. And no, I'm not going to explain that. You are gonna have to go see it to find out! :p

The writing is thoughtful and provocative. I really must applaud Kelly Marcel and Sue Smith for such fantastic work. One of the best written movies I have ever seen (and no I am not just giving that lip service). It's clear that the writers love this story, and as a result it shines.

Director John Lee Hancock and the cast clearly adored the script, and made it play beautifully on the screen.

saving-mr-banks-tom-hanks-600-370.jpg

The cast did an amazing job. Not a single character felt out of place or performance forced. Of course some of this is due to excellent script writing and direction, but it's clear that this troupe were fully vested in the story and their roles in it.

The team of Melanie Paxson (Dolly), Bradley Whitford (Don DaGradi), B.J. Novak (Robert Sherman) and Jason Schwartzman (Richard Sherman) all made the most of their screen time, and blended beautifully together in a believable and thoroughly amusing way.

Dolly, in particular, was a sleeper character for me. She's not shown much in the previews, and I found myself thoroughly enjoying her performance.

Robert and Richard Sherman played very well off each other, and you could really believe that they were brothers. Don DaGradi had several amusing moments. You really could picture the three of these actors as the real people, working on putting together the masterpiece Mary Poppins. It...just...works.

817ee9a19dd1b0938d_b1m6iyb8q.png

Ruth Wilson (Margaret Goff), Annie Rose Buckley (Ginty / young Travers) and Rachel Griffiths (Aunt Ellie) did likewise with their portion of the story.

Ginty was ok, a classic little girl character. Not very deep, but she wasn't meant to be. I will note the actress is extremely good at pulling off believable fear and confusion with her eyes and facial expressions, both of which are difficult for many adult actors, much less child ones. There is one scene in the lake where she pulls off a stunning performance (I will say no more about that! Again, go see it to find out!).

Saving-Mr-Banks.jpg

At first, I was not very fond of Margaret (actor or character), but before the movie was over I reversed that opinion and felt that the angle chosen for her character was actually perfect for the role. It adds depth which is often not achieved with characters of this archetype. So, kudos.

Aunt Ellie plays a rather small role (though an important one), and I also felt this was a good choice with the character. Just enough back-story is given that when she finally shows on screen, you really don't need much more than that limited screen time to understand this character, and the extremely important role she plays in the plot.

Paul Giamatti (Ralph the Driver) deserves a special nod with respect to his character and performance. This was another character that could easily have been a toss-away unmemorable performance, or hammed up to the point where it is over the top and not believable (especially when you learn HIS story). But, Giamatti walks this tightrope without falling, and is instrumental in expanding the Travers character. He pulls it off so well that you don't even realize the extent he has contributed to the story until after it's all been done. You just don't see it coming. Truly fantastic.

More music to read by...if the previous music is still playing at this point, please pause it and start this song. It was an intentional choice for me to put this here before you move on.

On to Colin Farrell. He pulled off the deepest performance of his career, I think. I don't want to give anything away for those who many not be familiar with the story already, but...with respect to the MPAA PG-13 rating, his character / story is the reason why. It is clearly obvious when you see the movie, and I agree with the MPAA, now having seen it. This is certainly a PG-13 film. The themes are mature, but treated perfectly without being obnoxious or preachy.

Anyway, back to Colin's performance. He was so subtle that, even though I knew what was supposed to happen (from real life), I wasn't sure if they were going to actually show that on screen. At first you won't see the progression of the character into his issue, but that's the beauty of it. You actually get to see it develop, and the fact that they don't spell it out plain as day from the start shows a respect to the audience that you don't see often.

movies-saving-mr-banks-colin-farrell.jpg

You are not supposed to see the details, you are supposed to see it through the eyes of his daughter. And...that is exactly why his performance (and again a nod to the writing team) is so perfect. In addition, it allows you to truly feel invested in the character, and you feel sad (but not sorrowful) when his story finally comes to an end.

More Music and moving on...as before, if the previous music is still playing, pause and start this music. Again, intentional.

Of course, we all know that Tom Hanks is an extremely talented character actor (who can forget Forrest Gump?). However, playing a the role of a real person, especially one as well known as Walt, presents a monumental challenge. You must be able to get the audience to stop seeing the actor and see the character shine through to the point where they forget this isn't REALLY Walt. I can't imagine the effort that would go into this endeavor.

Hanks looks very little like Walt, especially Walt at that time in his life.

tom_hanks_walt_disney_191ao2l-191ao87.jpg

But, Hanks pulled it off beautifully. When he first appears on the screen it may take a few moments to shake the "This is Tom Hanks with a mustache" out of your head, but somewhere during that first discussion with Travers (which was NOT what I expected, and was excellent) you'll forget that and from that point forward...he's Uncle Walt. The speech patterns, words chosen, mannerisms and body language all sell the character perfectly.

Hanks showed his skill with character acting in a way he hasn't, in my opinion, since Forrest Gump. You'll find yourself adoring this character, and seeing glimpses of the ethics and traits (both personal and business) which made Walt so successful in his lifetime, and a glimpse of the inner child underneath as well as a stark reminder that Walt Disney, too...was human.

More Music...

But, this movie isn't really about any of these characters. And, while there are three "leads" for marketing reasons, there really is only one. Emma Thompson as PL Travers. This is HER movie. And man, does Thompson own this role!

PL Travers is a strong willed, very private, obviously intelligent, and bluntly outspoken (to say the least) woman. An extremely complex character. It would have been easy for a lesser actor to slip and not be able to pull this off without the audience feeling one way or another about the character, but Thompson does this masterfully.

You will laugh at her, you will hate her. You will sympathize, you may even empathize. She'll make you frustrated, she'll make you smile. You will never come to love her, though you may come to like her.

But, by the end of the movie, you will understand her. And, that is the point of this film.

9219accf0fc7a849aa8152682647bba0605e6857.jpg

You'll note I've peppered this review with music. That is for a reason. Thomas Newman's score is provocative and touching. It hearkens back to the style of film score in the 90s, reminiscent of Forrest Gump or Meet Joe Black. The music doesn't just accompany the story, it helps to TELL the story. So, I felt it was worth special mention.

More music...and, this is from the PL Travers story meeting tapes. That's really the Sherman Brothers singing. You can tell that PL Travers, while she didn't like that the movie was to be a musical, she did appreciate the song. You can hear her singing along softly...

As a tip, stay through the credits, at least until they start to scroll. You won't be disappointed. There is also a very touching dedication at the very end (though it's only words, it will mean a lot to Disney Fans, and was obviously last minute).

Tom_Hanks_Diane_Disney_Miller.jpg

There were about 20 people in the theater with me when I was there, and out of that, only one group (a couple) left during the credit scroll. No one left before the credits started to scroll. To explain, the credits are in two parts...the "post show" credits, for lack of a better term, which are easily worth sticking through, and the scrolling credits. NO ONE left when the credits started, even though the movie didn't indicate that there would be a reason to stay.

The rest of the theater stayed all the way through the scrolling credits. This is a movie that will leave you at the end feeling like you need to just sit there for a bit during the credits so you can contemplate and appreciate what you just saw.

Yes, it's THAT good.

In summary, this movie is hands down a masterpiece. One of the best movies I think I have ever seen. This is not a story about Walt, or even Mary Poppins or the making of that movie. This is a story of love and loss. Depression, coping and moving on. The rest is merely a framework to tell that story. And, they told it magnificently.

I give it 10 out of 10 spoonfuls of sugar.

Saving-Mr-Banks1.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Seeing Saving Mr. Banks makes me wish there was an AMC or HBO series about the Disney Studios in the 60s.

I was listening to Director Kevin Smith's Hollywood Babble On podcast and he was saying he wants Disney to make a whole series of movies with Tom Hanks as Disney. The making of everything! He loved Saving Mr Banks and said he could watch Tom Hanks as Disney forever. He was disappointed tom didn't get a best supporting nod from the Golden Globes. He also loved Colin Farrell and thought he was the unsung hero of the film from the press you wouldn't know he was in it.

Cogworthfangal85

I ended up seeing with my mom and stepdad on Thursday. Wow...what a film. I know people (both on here and elsewhere) have given it some flack for not being completely accurate, but neither was 'Lincoln'. Both really captivating films with great casts. 'Saving Mr. Banks' reminded of 'Lincoln' in so many ways, the biggest being that both were about iconic figures in American history. Granted, even though Tom Hanks bears some resemblance to his (distant) cousin Walt Disney, I think he did a wonderful job. There was one point where he turns his back to the camera and if I hadn't known it was Tom Hanks in the role, I would have sworn on a Bible it was Walt himself. Emma Thompson was excellent as P. L. Travers and I wouldn't be surprised if she gets an Oscar for the role. Loved it, loved it, loved it. A definite must see (and something I'm going to get on DVD when it comes out.)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I ended up seeing with my mom and stepdad on Thursday. Wow...what a film. I know people (both on here and elsewhere) have given it some flack for not being completely accurate, but neither was 'Lincoln'. Both really captivating films with great casts. 'Saving Mr. Banks' reminded of 'Lincoln' in so many ways, the biggest being that both were about iconic figures in American history. Granted, even though Tom Hanks bears some resemblance to his (distant) cousin Walt Disney, I think he did a wonderful job. There was one point where he turns his back to the camera and if I hadn't known it was Tom Hanks in the role, I would have sworn on a Bible it was Walt himself. Emma Thompson was excellent as P. L. Travers and I wouldn't be surprised if she gets an Oscar for the role. Loved it, loved it, loved it. A definite must see (and something I'm going to get on DVD when it comes out.)
If you are referring to the time he turns and looks out the window during the first chat with PL Travers, that's the moment he turned into "Walt" for me.

Before that he was Tom Hanks with a mustache...

Cogworthfangal85

I know, englanddg. It was the same for me in many ways. I've seen clips of Walt before and I did have some trouble marrying the two. Though the clips of Walt I've seen are when he's on television, I know he was somewhat different off-screen, as it were, and I'd heard that the off-screen version is what Tom was going for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom