saving money at disney..

Jenna

why would u want to save money at disney??? its an amazin experience which for some people is once in a lifetime or even once a year so u should just save and spend spend spend!!!

LUV4Goofy

*MAD4NADZ* said:
why would u want to save money at disney??? its an amazin experience which for some people is once in a lifetime or even once a year so u should just save and spend spend spend!!!
I understand that point but sometimes it's tough to spend, spend, spend for some of us, especially if you're a single parent like I am. Maybe once I marry that millionaire that doesn't know yet that he's going to marry me, I'll be able to spend, spend, spend.
= )

Jenna

LUV4Goofy said:
I understand that point but sometimes it's tough to spend, spend, spend for some of us, especially if you're a single parent like I am. Maybe once I marry that millionaire that doesn't know yet that he's going to marry me, I'll be able to spend, spend, spend.
= )

aww i totally understand im from the uk so its somethin that wont happen that often for me! i didnt mean to sound disrespectful just sorta goin by my experience i mean i went to disney for the first time last year and im 17!

LUV4Goofy

*MAD4NADZ* said:
aww i totally understand im from the uk so its somethin that wont happen that often for me! i didnt mean to sound disrespectful just sorta goin by my experience i mean i went to disney for the first time last year and im 17!
No need to apologize......hopefully you get to go there more in the years to come. Have a good one.

barnum42

*MAD4NADZ* said:
I'm from the UK and made it over three times in a twelve month period last year (That was an exception). But given the choice, what would you rather - two weeks of spend spend spend, or six weeks of spend? I favoured the latter :D

At least you made your first trip three years before I made mine :wave:

Laura

Premium Member
To be honest, I try NOT to save money at Disney. I like to save up a TON of money and then just have a good time and not stress about how much I'm spending. We'll do 3 meals a day, tons of extras (like mini golf, boat rentals, etc), and shop like crazy! :)

Craig & Lisa

:D first off about the water:hurl: says it all but we found a way around that, at a local supermarket get the brita travel bottle, it instantly gets rid of the smell and taste of the water, and can process at least 50 gallons. For food, if your having a meal during the day, IE breakfast go to the buffets, anyone..... for that matter only do the buffets for every meal, you can eat to you hearts content, but in the morning you can bring cereal go to the food courts and pickup bowls and utensils, in some of the resturants they serve big portions, so split them, also to learn more about which one's and how much the best book for us has been the unofficial guide to WDW, you can find it at barnes and noble.com alot of times we have seen other people use it at the parks as well, I could say we swear by it:sohappy: :D :slurp:

Kirstin's Mom

We usually go to the parks early when they open, then hop over to one of the resorts for a late breakfast. On our MK days, we like to hop the monorail to Chef Mickey's. We eat at the last breakfast seating (which actually makes it brunch). So, it's cheaper than lunch, you get more time with the characters because everyone's in the parks, and you get to take advantage of the early hours at the parks then get away during the hottest part of the day.

Also, I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so I guess I will......
At the counter service restaraunts, order a double cheeseburger and an extra bun. They usually give you tons of fries anyway, so you can share those. The extra bun last time we went was about .80, so for the extra change you get another hamburger. This works really well at places there is a big fixin's bar, like Pecos Bills, or Electric Umbrella. Then all you have to do is order an extra drink, if you don't already have bottled water.

We buy a case of bottled water and bring it with us. We pack several bottles in our backpack, along with snacks for our 5 yr. old. This saves us money on water, and keeps her from asking for every snack she sees.

Christina

slappy magoo said:

Other than that, try to avoid buying souveniers, and if you must, hit those outlet stores nearby. If you have friends who want souveniers, tell them you think they suck just before your vacation and then apologize when you get back. Become a Jehova's Witness so you don't have to buy birthday or holiday presents. If your partner likes to swing, pick up a wealthy coed along the way to share your room. Slip on a wet floor and threaten to sue. Tell everyone it's your birthday or you just got engaged wherever you go and see if they'll give you free cake or drinks, so you don't have to spend your own money. If any old people fall asleep on a public bench because they're exhausted, take their wallet and justify it by saying it's an "additional night's external stay" surcharge. Always remember: It's not stealing if you don't get caught. :wave:

:lookaroun :lol:

Well I have many ways I save money at Disneyworld...

The first is I start asking for Disney dollars months in advance- I ask for them in stockings, birthday cards, valentines day presents... techincally EVERY holiday I collect about 20$ Disney Dollars... and that's primarly used for SNACK money, and maybe small souviners like... candy. And and ... ears.

Second, if you're a "good-food" eater and love to eat at resturants, make a PS for LUNCH instead of dinner... often they have the same menu, only a lot less. That way you get to get a taste and feel for the resturant... if the food is SUPER good, next time you go, plan a PS for dinner.

Since I haven't been back since the new Dining plan has been implemented, I can't really speak personally on it but... it sounds like a really good deal. If you have enough time to plan out your meals carefully, it seems that you could save a lot of money.

Hit outlets, eat breakfast in the hotel... if you want, rent an off-site hotel with a kitchen and eat lunch and dinner there. Often, an off-site hotel SUITE costs a lot less than staying at a Disney moderate resort.

inafog

Heatherbell said:
Now here is another little tip, get a backpack and bring snacks. Now I have done this, I don't know if it is necessarily "allowed" but I did it and no one said anything to me.

I called my brother, who is a CM at MGM, and asked him because I was wondering if it's "allowed" or if they just don't take your food. The answer is, you are allowed to bring food as long as it isn't in glass containers, an alcoholic beverage, or in a cooler too large to fit in a locker.

I also like to go fairly often, and while there's no way to do it cheaply there are many ways to save money if you just think it through. I'm staying offsite for the first half of my trip in a 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath condo for $90/night. Second half I'm staying onsite with an AP discount. And big brother (see above) will be touring with us so we'll get to use some of his discounts in addition to the ones I get with the AP. We also bring snacks and water bottles with us. We buy all our sunscreen at home because it's just more expensive in Florida, even outside the parks. Using a digital camera also saves money since I don't buy film or buy prints I don't want. And this trip, I'm saving money by driving instead of flying to Florida--I have more time than money right now. I've never shopped the outlet stores for souvenirs but I will this trip--though the stuffed animals on-site are a pretty good deal ($8 for the size my kids like to get).

(My Scots ancestors came to America in the 1790s)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
barnum42 said:
I'm from the UK and made it over three times in a twelve month period last year (That was an exception). But given the choice, what would you rather - two weeks of spend spend spend, or six weeks of spend? I favoured the latter :D

At least you made your first trip three years before I made mine :wave:

Tight and loads of time off!! My trouble is when I was in Betty Windsors Flying Circus I had loads of holiday but not so much money, now Im better paid I get a LOT less holiday.

I could pay for two trips May or Sep/Oct what it costs for a trip in August. If I ever see that boy Blair Ill be pointing out that thanks to his no term time breaks people like me are shafted.

barnum42

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Tight and loads of time off!! My trouble is when I was in Betty Windsors Flying Circus I had loads of holiday but not so much money, now Im better paid I get a LOT less holiday.

I could pay for two trips May or Sep/Oct what it costs for a trip in August. If I ever see that boy Blair Ill be pointing out that thanks to his no term time breaks people like me are shafted.
I get 20 days a calendar year, so the time off came from two separate years.

My sympathies with the no term time breaks. Another reason I'm happy not to have started a breeding program.

Out of curiosity - are you not allowed to takes the kids out of school at all during term time? I only ask because I always travel during term time and the last charter flights are always packed with sprogs.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
barnum42 said:
I get 20 days a calendar year, so the time off came from two separate years.

My sympathies with the no term time breaks. Another reason I'm happy not to have started a breeding program.

Out of curiosity - are you not allowed to takes the kids out of school at all during term time? I only ask because I always travel during term time and the last charter flights are always packed with sprogs.

When I lived in London the school knew the score and would always try and cut some slack to all service families. when I moved to rural Leicestershire and the land of the inbred it was a different matter.

I took the kids out for a week, (the hols in London fell on different dates which was when we booked) and the school were down right hostile, threatening letters the lot. I suppose if I was the sort of person who didn’t give a stuff it wouldn’t matter, however things like that were taken into account when my eldest applied for the sixth form college.

My girls are also in the exam cycle so its a a bit awkward with GCSEs and SAT's (not that they mean that much nowadays)

bjlc57

We brought 53 bottles of power aid from Wisconsin with us. At our local store a 32 oz of power aid was as low as .53 cents. At the parks a 20 oz bottle was three dollars. We each carried a bottle in, and we froze two bottles and put them in a soft sided lunch bag. As the day progressed we used the frozen bottles up. Believe it or not, this lasted all day. We must have saved at least $20 per day on drinks alone. times four days is $80. thats a tank of gas for the suburban. We eat breakfest in the room and eat a late supper in the room as well. Again, what you can whip up for a family of four with a big can of ravioli or whatnot really makes a difference. Our food budget a day is still $50 for four of us. this is lunch at the park and a turkey leg and a micky on a stick. Hey if your broke and you can't afford to spend $5000 on a trip then you make it go for $2500. still with gas and hotel rooms, a rental car, thats what it costs us to go for a up to 10 days including the beach.

Even if you eat just two meals during the week in your room, you are saving money by buying KFC or a pizza. We found a great chinese resturant that was all you could eat buffet. We all love the stuff, so we ate there twice in one week. THe cost of food in the parks is the real difference maker.

willythelab

it seems to me that people always spend whatever they are able to spend. that's why they have the different tiers of resorts and restaurants. we save money by being dvc members in one respect. but in reallity we spend so much more now than we ever would have going just once in a while. i think the simplest way to save money is not to just buy junk all day everyday. buy stuff that is lasting and enjoy it. and also just live off turkey legs and mcdonald's fries while in wdw

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom