Save the Adventurers Club

bullsforthewin

Yes, technically one of two, along with BET SoundStage. Had more to do with the timing of shows than popularity of the venue--it was impossible to serve more than one drink per show, which limited sales. Had management been more creative in scheduling or guest flow, probably could have been made profitable.

Although not as profitable as 8-Traxx next door, which was, per square foot, the most profitable bar in the country. The idea that PI closed due to a lack of popularity or revenue is just flat-out wrong.

It was profitable but not as much as you think...last i heard they averaged that about 55% of the people in the clubs were castmembers which did not have to pay cover or ticket fees which did hurt them a lot

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
It was profitable but not as much as you think...last i heard they averaged that about 55% of the people in the clubs were castmembers which did not have to pay cover or ticket fees which did hurt them a lot

IN 2004 CMs only got in free Monday and Thursday nights. It wasn't until closer to the end that they let CMs in free Sun-Thurs and then eventually 7 nights a week. At that point the decision was already made to close.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Well technically, back when it was gated you could bring kids in every club except Mannequins. It wasn't until the last two years or so kids were banned from all the music clubs (and they could still attend the comedy clubs up until the last night--a video of my ex-g/f's 6 y.o. taken in the AdvClub became a bit of a viral sensation).

That said, not surprisingly I agree with everything else you said. 1 in 6 WDW visitors comes without kids--conventioneers, honeymooners, Spring Breakers... And a lot of people with kids look forward to a night out without them. Walt always intended an adult nightlife component for WDW--look at "Top of the World" (the original version, an adults only cabaret show in what is now California Grill). There is a place at WDW for nightclubs just as there is a place for golf courses and spas.

Didn't you have to be 18 to get on the island when the whole thing was gated?

bullsforthewin

IN 2004 CMs only got in free Monday and Thursday nights. It wasn't until closer to the end that they let CMs in free Sun-Thurs and then eventually 7 nights a week. At that point the decision was already made to close.

The figures i was given were for 2008 so that made sense with what you said

Master Gracey

Original Poster
I know that "stuff" can be replaced, but in the category of more proof that the Club will not reopen... the Castauction site (Disney Cast members only) just put up more props from the Club for auction. I would say that if they (WDW) was thinking about reopening the Club with the whole "CW is a hit in DHS" thing they would have stopped from putting some pretty iconic pieces up for auction....

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I have been shown what has gone up for auction, and none of it is iconinc and easily replaced: A main salon chair, a podium, a small column, an Elephant Tusk, A Fertility Idol, a vase and a table. If Zeus ever went up, then I'd start to worry. Also, when the Club does reopen, there will have been an extensive refurbishment, and they would have to replace most of the furniture and broken items, so how better to make some money off the items that will not be returning than to auction them off to the fans. I've seen the chair that "Right Guard" purchased and while it looks fine, it has a broken arm, so it's a fair bet that the current auctions have blemishes as well.

I saw you there in line for yesterday's last show, in fact, I was pretty much behind you. I tried to find a moment to introduce myself but you guys were deep in conversation and laughs and I didn't want to interrupt. Next time!

It was indeed a great show and seeing such a big crowd seeking that kind of entertainment once again was uplifting.

Aw, I'm sorry Thurp! I wish you would have. Hopefully our paths will cross again, and don't worry about interrupting, I'll always respond to a hearty Club Salute!

I wish we could believe you, but unfortunately, every post you have recently submitted has pretty much put a damper on your reliablility when it comes to actual facts in regards to the AC. While I admire your perseverance, your credibility has turned into merely wishful thinking.

Some Days the mouse eats you
Some Days you wish you hadn't been eaten
But the bottom line is...and we're closing in on 4 years now...you have been eaten...and you're dead.
...and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it.:ROFLOL:

Well, I'm glad you speak for everyone (unless you are using the "royal we"), however, I'm certain my credibility remains quite intact. I have not reported anything as fact unless I know it to be so. Also, it is always fun to see when someone has run out of things to complain about when they attack someone else's signature. Just for you, I am now rewriting it to reflect the truth of the Adventurers Club matter.

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But the Club still stands and hope remains!

KUNGALOOSH!​

Jerm

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. If Zeus ever went up, then I'd start to worry. Also, when the Club does reopen...

You know Gracey, I have been a strong supporter of the fact that you want the Club to reopen but with that statement right there I would like to meet you at the site of the Club when they start to take it down and say "I told you so!"

I flew from Ca for the closing weekend, I have been following all the rumors, I have been cataloging items from the club that have been spreading across the U.S. since the club closed but really at this point even I say "IF the Club ever reopens" and even that is getting harder. Maybe it is time to hang up your Hathaway jacket and get out of that river in Egypt....you know Denial.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
I would like to meet you at the site of the Club when they start to take it down and say "I told you so!".

Well, thankfully that day will never come. All demolition has been canceled months ago when Hyperion Wharf fell through.

Maybe it is time to hang up your Hathaway jacket and get out of that river in Egypt....you know Denial.

No, I don't foresee that ever happening. Aside from it's excelent style, it is my warmest jacket up here in PA. Lastly, I prefer Decongo.

KUNGALOOSH!​

Jerm

Well, thankfully that day will never come. All demolition has been canceled months ago when Hyperion Wharf fell through.

You are so right.....I can't believe I missed that! And we all know that every empty building is kept intact and standing forever!

I think it is time to maybe move this thread to the Fantasyland Expansion area...cause that is where it seems these thoughts are coming from....FANTASYLAND!

But I will go back to being part of the 99% enjoy your time as the 1% because I feel sooner rather then later you will find that the truth is a cruel thing and all we will have is our memories.

Happy NYE all!! Although I am on record as saying that I absolutely loved the AC and it helped get me thru some rough times, I was never a fan of the contrived nightly NY celebration. It hindered my club hopping. Doubt I would have enjoyed an actual Dec 31 there as i detest capacity crowds. Plus it was always $70-$100 admission for Dec 31 when i could have gotten in on eithe rmy pass of for $20 the next night. I did attend Halloween there once. Again, capacity crowd. Was weird seeing Otis Wren dressed as a cowboy. The Village People cowboy perhaps ?? (NOT Karl Anthony)...

KUNGALOOSH !!!

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Kungaloosh Adventurers,

I know that this link has been posted before, but it certainly is a great pictoral reminder of what we are still fighting to bring back.

pin111000SMALL.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/12/vintage-walt-disney-world-ringing-in-the-new-year-at-pleasure-island-at-downtown-disney/

Despite what some would try to have us believe, the return of our Club is still a very real possibility. Please follow this link to the Disney Park Blog and leave a comment on how badly Pleasure Island's nightlife is missed (particularly our beloved Adventurers Club). Allso, please take some time to shoot off a couple of those PI Surveys to the Executives. With any luck, at this time in 2012, we will all be back in the Main Salon welcoming in 1937 once again!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!​

KUNGALOOSH!​

You are so right.....I can't believe I missed that! And we all know that every empty building is kept intact and standing forever!

I think it is time to maybe move this thread to the Fantasyland Expansion area...cause that is where it seems these thoughts are coming from....FANTASYLAND!

But I will go back to being part of the 99% enjoy your time as the 1% because I feel sooner rather then later you will find that the truth is a cruel thing and all we will have is our memories.
Think that's a bit harsh, Jerm, but I can't disagree. Dont think our original AC will return, but expect to see it eventually in some other form...

Happy New year and Kungaloosh !!

wdw71fan

There are some plans that include demolition of the AC building.

Indeed... Actually.. of the 3 proposals for reinventing Hyperion Wharf that I've seen.. 2 include the removal of the AC and Soundstage structures.. The 3rd one removes the soundstage only, but renovates the AC building into an administrative facility.. Containing offices and a small computer datacenter for DtD.. This would allow for relocation of two other facilities in the DtD complex into the solitary location... It's important to note ,that this would included the demolition of the midway level structure of AC, not the ground levels... 'capping' the building off, if you will..

I can tell you, that no matter what.. AC will never reopen .. (you can read that as 'in that location'.. but I am not informed that it would be built again anywhere)..

I can also tell you that the name 'Hyperion Wharf' is not dead... nor is the project..

WorldofMotion34

Indeed... Actually.. of the 3 proposals for reinventing Hyperion Wharf that I've seen.. 2 include the removal of the AC and Soundstage structures.. The 3rd one removes the soundstage only, but renovates the AC building into an administrative facility.. Containing offices and a small computer datacenter for DtD.. This would allow for relocation of two other facilities in the DtD complex into the solitary location... It's important to note ,that this would included the demolition of the midway level structure of AC, not the ground levels... 'capping' the building off, if you will..

I can tell you, that no matter what.. AC will never reopen .. (you can read that as 'in that location'.. but I am not informed that it would be built again anywhere)..

I can also tell you that the name 'Hyperion Wharf' is not dead... nor is the project..
I remember there plans to move the AC to the MK in Adventureland, but those were just blue sky. Hyperion Wharf in its current form will be a dud to me, unless it includes nighttime entertainment including clubs.

Lee

Adventurer

Booooo.:mad:

That is all.

WorldofMotion34

There was always a weak reason for getting rid of the clubs at PI. The smart business decision would be to keep the clubs open as the generate revenue, since after people pay to get in, they will pay for drinks which boost their figures every year. But im not apart of TDO so what do i know? A great amount of quailty enertainment was lost with this as well.

Mouse Detective

Appreciate your insight. If it's not dead, why was it delayed? (They announced some plans in 2010 and began the conversion but then stopped everything.) And why are they so adamantly against returning a comedy club to the location and perhaps one money-making dance club?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom