Save the Adventurers Club

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Happy 4th of July Everyone! And for you Pleasure Island Histarians out there:

The story begins in New South Frewsberg, Pennsylvania, on July 4th, 1873. “Gold Rush Gus” Pleasure, free-wheeling millionaire prospector/explorer, paces in his study. A smiling nurse enters and announces the birth of a bouncing baby boy to him and his wife, the former Miss Lydia LaMarr, an early star of the American stage (known professionally as “The American Venus”). The boy is named “Merriweather” after Gus’ own father.
~An exerpt from "The Pleasure Island Papers"​

Happy 137th Birthday, Merriweather Adam Pleasure! My your Island revive this year and once again bring joy to Adventurers everywhere!

AdventurersClubImagineerPortrait021.jpg

M. A. Pleasure

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

Master Gracey

Original Poster
would this storyline even exist had there been no Adventurers Club???

Well, to be fair, the Adventurers Club was born out of the storyline of M.A. Pleasure's extracurricular activities from when he wasn't engaged in canvas/sailmaking or custom yacht building. His passions included pyrotechnics, in which he imported a man from China only known as "The Bang Master" to help him create his much lauded 4th of July extravaganzas, and World Travel.

The “Club” itself had begun in 1907 as occasional dinner parties thrown by Pleasure for his globe-trotting cronies. When Pleasure himself began touring the world in the early 30’s, he’d let his old pals stay here, and he’d invite other world travels to meet him back at the “Clubhouse” for a drink and a visit. Adventurers often gave their host the most outlandish exotica, which Pleasure proudly displayed on the ever-more crowded walls of what he called the Club’s “Temporary Permanent Collection”.
~An excerpt from "The Pleasure Island Papers"​

Pleasure's wife, Isabella, was never fond of her husband's weird collection of exploration memorabilia and told him it had to be removed from their home (The Portobello Yacht Club).

The date was February 3, 1920. Pleasure bested his good friends, according to Merriweather, the three premier architects of the early 20th Century: Sir Edwin Lutyens, Charles Mackintosh and Eliel Saarinen. These three, to make good their part of the bet cleared the dishes off their table and used the tablecloth they design what would become Pleasure's "Adventurer's Club". The following year, the actual club was built, and Pleasure moved in his vast library and archaeological trophy collection.

However, there seemed to be no pleasing Mrs. Pleasure.
Isabella, always commented she could smell the rancid cigar smoke on the other side of the Island, and referred to this place as “Merriweather’s Earth-Bound Tree House”.

Anyhow, the real reason I was going to post tonight. . . One of my friends just returned home from the Weird Al concert in Tennessee. Not only did Al sing "Skipper Dan", a song about a Skipper at Disneyland's Jungle Cruise (though many of my friends and I believe that the song really is about our mutual WDW Skipper friend "Right Guard" Ian) in a full Official Disney Issued Jungle Cruise Costume (complete with name tag), but he also sang Tennessee, The Moon and You (A simple re-naming of The Adventurers Club's "Florida the Moon and You) and THE ADVENTURERS CLUB ALL PURPOSE THEME SONG before transitioning into Grim Grinning Ghosts! See Team Disney Orlando, Weird Al believes in the Adventurers Club, so should you!

4729132834_3602f520e6_z.jpg

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

71jason

Weird Al will be performing in Orlando at Hard Rock Live in the near future. Wonder if he will be doing the same act here?

Had friends try to get to me to this show, but to be honest I had zero interest until Master Gracey's post.

Anyone ever spot Weird Al in the AC? Most of the celebrity visits are pretty well-documented, never heard about him tho.

zweltar

So I'm a fan of AC and would love to see it reopened. However, after almost 2 years of it being closed, I don't understand this thread being in the News and Rumors section. When I see something posted, I hope it's some news, and I get excited. However, it is mostly people reminiscing or hoopla-ing. There is nothing new or exciting coming out.
I have no problem with people talking about the AC, but I just really don't think that any of this is news or rumors. General discussion, yes, but news and rumors, no.
Mods?

Scooter

So I'm a fan of AC and would love to see it reopened. However, after almost 2 years of it being closed, I don't understand this thread being in the News and Rumors section. When I see something posted, I hope it's some news, and I get excited. However, it is mostly people reminiscing or hoopla-ing. There is nothing new or exciting coming out.
I have no problem with people talking about the AC, but I just really don't think that any of this is news or rumors. General discussion, yes, but news and rumors, no.
Mods?

Prepare for a scolding....I've been saying what you're saying for 2 years and have been named called and been told that if I don't like whats said on this thread then I should just go away and not read it.
I too am interested in what happens to the AC, but when there's no news for over a year and a half, then it's time to move on and put this this subject where it belongs...in the past attractions section.
Be prepared though ...we're the bad guys for expressing our opinions about a club that's been dead for almost 2 years that's in all likelyhood never coming back.

Prepare for a scolding....I've been saying what you're saying for 2 years and have been named called and been told that if I don't like whats said on this thread then I should just go away and not read it.
I too am interested in what happens to the AC, but when there's no news for over a year and a half, then it's time to move on and put this this subject where it belongs...in the past attractions section.
Be prepared though ...we're the bad guys for expressing our opinions about a club that's been dead for almost 2 years that's in all likelyhood never coming back.
then why even bother to come on the thread. WTH does it REALLY matter to you other than because you desire a forum from which to complain.

Scooter

zweltar...See what I mean?
They just get nasty and rude when you mention anything having to do with moving this thread where it actually belongs.
I rest my case.
Scooter

huntzilla

Does anyone have updates on the Hong Kong Adventurer's Club?

This is an excellent question. I don't think there has been any updates however. I remember when this got announced it was very intriguing. I wonder if it will be like the original, I doubt it because of the logistics within a theme park but you never know. If it is like the original, the problem is that it will most likely be in all chinese. :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom