Save the Adventurers Club

skellington216

And then they put this on the menu at Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel. Serving mixed drinks AND mixed signals!

299085_2138245374738_1204243448_1949998_2139044575_n.jpg

Mouse Detective

I remember most of the AC cast, but I don't remember the cast in this last picture. What year were they there?

I think the picture above is of fans of the Adventurers Club, taken outside the club quite recently. Notice above the door that it does not say Adventurers Club. That was just covered over within the past couple weeks.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
I remember most of the AC cast, but I don't remember the cast in this last picture. What year were they there?

Anyone have other pictures of the entire cast together from different years?

I think the picture above is of fans of the Adventurers Club, taken outside the club quite recently. Notice above the door that it does not say Adventurers Club. That was just covered over within the past couple weeks.

Just out of curiosity, do you know where they got the Indiana Jones Fertility Idol in that picture? Is it the piggy bank version?

Yes, this photo and the Closing day rhym is from my good friend Right Guard. That is him and a group of his friends on the stairs before the useless bamboo was planted. As for the Idol, it is the bank version which I believe was originally sold at the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost at M.G.M. Studios for about two hours until a child pointed out that there was a baby sticking out of the Idol's lower section. They item was quickly pulled from the shelves and nenver seen again! I also believe that this is the Idol that was used on Right Guard's Congaloosh Cruise of '09. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-49nPPxepPA&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLFB691363F9BC6D11 Watch for its cameo around the attacking natives!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!​

McClane713

Just out of curiosity, do you know where they got the Indiana Jones Fertility Idol in that picture? Is it the piggy bank version?

I have the same exact piggy bank version in the picture, purchased about 6 months ago. Got it for $18 I believe, and I think the website was entertainmentearth.com. All sorts of cool Indy stuff.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
. . .after all there's only one more sleep till CONGALOOSH!

KUNGALOOSH!​

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Kungaloosh Adventurers,

Well certainly the place to be last weekend was at the celebration of all things Adventurers Club, ConGaloosh 2011! Friday started with meeting up at the Holiday Inn on 535 for updating everyone’s tales of adventures and an Adventurer’s second favorite pastime, Adult Beverages!

If anyone wonders if Disney is watching these boards, let Friday night’s events be the confirmation. Our intrepid group set a course for Merriweather’s Island for a group picture on the hallowed steps of our beloved Adventurers Club. We were greeted by the Pleasure Island Map’s Guest Relations cast member with a hearty, “Kungaloosh and welcome to Pleasure Island!”. As we approached the Club we saw 4 Disney Managers and 5 security guards (one of whom was heard saying "7:30...they're right on time") standing directly across from the Club. Thankfully, they seemed to just be there to make sure things didn’t get out of hand, for the picture was taken, a Club Salute was given and we continued onward towards Raglan Road singing “The Adventurers Club All Purpose Theme Song” without incident!

AdventurersontheStairsFull.jpg

We spent some time in the Irish Pub singing old Club standards such as “The Beer Song”, “Those Were The Days”, etc. Then we headed for the cars and journeyed onward to The Swan for some Karaoke at Kimonos.

Kimonos.jpg

After a couple of songs and sushi, our Emcee for the weekend, Robert Croskery, called up our fellows dressed as Hathaway and Samantha to lead the restaurant in a recitation of the Club Creed. Then once again we were on the road and on to Dixie Landings (or Port Orleans Riverside, your pick) to visit Yahoo Bob in the River Roost Lounge. We sang along to such Adventurers Club favorites as “That’s Amore” and “When the Saints Go Marching In”, and posed with Bob for the last group shot of the night.

RiverRoostwithYahooBob.jpg

Then all good Adventurers, returned to their cots to physically and mentally prepare themselves for the next day’s quest!

All that ConGaloosh.org told us of Ian Quest 2011 was “Come and test your wits and adventuring skills against the perils of Adventureland! Will you emerge victorious?” Little did we know that our good friend “Right Guard” Ian sent a message to Col. Wayne P. McSwagger, requesting a special “Adventureland Challenge” for us. The “Challenge” was a daily occurrence in Adventureland between 1995 – 2000, but surfaced once again in 2009 for the Jungle Cruise Skipper’s Reunion. Col. McSwagger had stolen the Mystic Golden Idol of Adventureland. He who controls the Idol, controls Adventureland and the only way McSwagger would give up the Idol was if someone could beat him in a game of his choosing. Usually the Col. Would bring along a fallen Skipper who had become his Lackey, but for us he brought along his partner in crime, Baroness Eugenia Nefertiti Von Swoon

TheColonelTheBaroness.jpg

to help give out special maps of Adventureland and to keep us somewhat on track.

CongalooshMap.jpg

On the back of the map was a clue that lead us to gift shops in Adventureland, and in the shops we received yet more clues.

CongalooshClues.jpg

After all 8 clues were collected, we fliped over all of them to find one last clue written in an ancient “Forbidden” text,

FinalClue.jpg

Translation: For those of you who are reckless, brave and loyal,
the Balderdash Cup may be the prize for your toil.
To end this Idol tale that could help you compete,
look all 'round the port where Jungle Rivers meet.

but thankfully McSwagger provided us with his personal, “Swagger Stone” for translation.

SwaggerStone.jpg

We then ran to the hiding place to search through bushes and other various scenery. When the Idol was recovered we were all horrified to find that no one had followed all the clues to the letter, for we were also supposed to tell McSwagger where Otis T. Wren had placed an “X” on a map and what the times of the tide were for the day (according to Dreamy Ka’imi). So, in the end McSwagger won the game, but everyone loved the thrill of the hunt. Also, the Colonel has vowed to play again next year and we will all be ready to carefully read his instructions!

AdventurelandChallengers.jpg

(For more information on the Adventureland Challenge please watch this video of the 2009 Skipper Reunion’s game, http://newmexicast.com/nm0034)

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Then at 6 P.M. we gathered back at the Holiday Inn's "Discovery Room" for the main event.

TheDiscoveryRoom.jpg

Robert started us off with bringing up this years President of the ConGaloosh Society, Bernard Deschanes and Hathaway Browne (a.k.a. “Right Guard” Ian)

CandiHeartHathawayBrowne.jpg

to start us off with a New Member Induction Ceremony, while our own personal Fingers provided accompaniment.

Fingers.jpg

Then, from the back of the room stumbled in Fletcher Hodges long, lost Irish Brother, Lecher O’Hodges to sing us his rendition of “The Thing”.

LecherOHodges.jpg

It was then time for the Costume contest, presided over by Adventurers Club Permanent Members, Green and Simple

GrahamGlenn03.jpg

who voted the Best in Show to Emil Bleehall and Bessie the Heifer!

BessieEmil.jpg

Then it was onto the Balderdash Cup competition, where we heard tales of attempts to liberate Scooter the Peacock from “D Street” to fixing airplanes with rubber bands. But this years winner was Liesl Schindler, with an oddly familiar tale of finding the lost continent of Atlantis while flying relief supplies to the victims of a cataclysmic earthquake in Krakatau, with well placed jabs from Prof. Otis T. Wren (a.k.a. “Right Guard” Ian).

OtisTWrenOsaJohnson.jpg

The night continued with a performance of the “Sheik of Araby” from Green and Simple, more songs and tales and visits from Adventurers Club Permanent Member, Lancelot and the well known door host Kirk as well as another Emil Bleehall (a.k.a. “Right Guard” Ian).

KirkEmilBleehall.jpg

Then we wrapped up yet another weekend of adventure with one last rendition of “The Adventurers Club All Purpose Theme Song”.

At the end of the day, the Adventurers Club is far from dead. It is alive and well in all of us, and we must continue to let Disney know that they will not hear the end of their egregious error of closing the greatest example of immersive entertainment that has ever existed, until they reopen it. Please Adventurers, continue writing letters and emails and one day we will all be able to enjoy a night of Adventure back inside of our beloved Club on the top of Hill St.

P.S. I had to include a picture of the back of “Right Guard’s” Emil sash. When asked how he put this one together he said, “Well, in the spirit of the old Bleehall tradition, my Mom made it!”

EmilsBackBadges.jpg

KUNGALOOSH!​

Mouse Detective

When the alternative is to admit your own incompetence and inability to perform your job, I suppose it helps to have scapegoats to rail against. I think that's B-school 101.

When they messed up the new Hawaiian resort maintenance fees, people got fired. Doesn't seem that anyone got fired over the Pleasure Island mess.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When they messed up the new Hawaiian resort maintenance fees, people got fired. Doesn't seem that anyone got fired over the Pleasure Island mess.
Those are rather different situations. Closing PI and leasing it to third parties was fairly sound advice that had worked in the past. Had the economy not tanked when it did, the former PI would have more than likely been filled in a rather short time and Disney would be collecting rather large rent checks right now. About the biggest mistake made was not backing out of the deal and extending PI's life when prospective renters started backing out.

In the case of Aulani, they made a very bone headed accounting error that will potentially cost Disney tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

Pioneer Hall

Those are rather different situations. Closing PI and leasing it to third parties was fairly sound advice that had worked in the past. Had the economy not tanked when it did, the former PI would have more than likely been filled in a rather short time and Disney would be collecting rather large rent checks right now. About the biggest mistake made was not backing out of the deal and extending PI's life when prospective renters started backing out.

In the case of Aulani, they made a very bone headed accounting error that will potentially cost Disney tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars.

Exactly...the problem with PI now is the economy. It is the same reason why Flamingo Crossings is sitting out there with all its infrastructure and not one tenant.

a2grafix

Visited WDW Oct 3-7 and spent Oct 4 evening at Downtown Disney / Pleasure Island / West Side. Tough to see "Scooter" as well as other Adventurers Club items on display inside Destination D (complete with placards mentioning PI and Merriweather Pleasure).

Even tougher was that I asked the bartender at Laffer's Cafe stand AND Adventurers Club stand for a Kungaloosh or a Jessica's Secret or a Gypsy Moth. Both bartenders had NO KNOWLEDGE of how to make the drinks.

Inside the Prime Time Cafe bar I asked the bartenders for said drinks and they said they did not know how to make them. They said those who requested former Pleasure Island drinks would have to give the bartenders the recipes, which I did not bring with me.

Ended up having dinner at House of Blues and drinking 2 beers. The night before had a Mai Tai at Ohana's bar at the Polynesian Resort, the closest "Adventurers Club" experience of my trip, with the exception of a few nighttime excursions on the Jungle Cruise (Chief Name' is now referred to Trader Sam).

On a side note, talked to some of the Disney security watching Downtown Disney crowds, and one of them mentioned the topic of mold (previously discussed on this thread), and the possible goof-up of Disney brass closing the Pleasure Island clubs and regretting the decision of closing said clubs. The security dude also mentioned crime / fighting starting to creep into the district as a reason to close Pleasure Island's clubs.

One of the security cast members and another cast member both said something that some kind of redevelopment will be taking place in 2012 on Pleasure Island. What exactly, don't know.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Just saw this poted over on Disscussion Kingdom Forum's "Save the Adventurers Club" thread and thoiught that it needed to be reposted here.

Posted this in HW thread, but a friend says he knows two people who auditioned for CW/PI (we've discussed the reopening by NYE theory before). Later in the day, when the subject of the AC came up again, tangentially, he spoke as if it will be open soon matter-of-factly. Same source who told me in May, 2008, the clubs would be closing.

So...anyone with Equity contacts heard more?

Here's hoping that we hear more of this soon!

KUNGALOOSH!​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom