Saturday D23 Announcement - Marvel Land at DCA

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'd bet money that nothing new will be mentioned. It wouldn't seem fair to hold out on D23 for parks related info, only to give it to Comic Con. Yes they announced GOTG last year at Comic con, but there was no D23 last year, and there was an upcoming GOTG movie to promote.
Point well made.

Their vaguery at D23 regarding Marvel land told me that they really are just in the early planning phases.

mickEblu

I'd bet money that nothing new will be mentioned. It wouldn't seem fair to hold out on D23 for parks related info, only to give it to Comic Con. Yes they announced GOTG last year at Comic con, but there was no D23 last year, and there was an upcoming GOTG movie to promote.

Ya I know. Just wishful thinking. Last weekends announcements for DLR left much to be desired.

GiveMeTheMusic

The E-Ticket is progressing through design with WDI. I have a feeling we won't see more details until closer to or after SWL opens and by then I would anticipate that the new ride would be under construction already.

D

Deleted member 107043

Is there a reason why they haven't started building the structure? It seems that the hold up is the bridge and didn't I read somewhere that the structure had already been Pre approved

I'm thinking that revisions are being made to make the project more palatable to the the city and businesses across the street on Harbor that will be presented for public review before the end of the year or early in 2018. There are aspects of this project that reminds me of the reworking of the DLR expansion from Westcot to DCA. In short, I will not be surprised if the final version of the Eastern Gateway doesn't have a bridge.

BrianLo

I doubt we'll hear anything. The Anaheim Planning Commission has tabled all meetings until August 7th, so if there was no reason to say anything about Marvel Land on July 15th, there's still no reason to say anything on July 22nd.

I really don't think the Eastern Gateway effects the Marvel timeline (anymore)... I do think it helped make the final call to use Bugsland instead. I also think it's definitely pushed back 'other' DCA stuff.

mickEblu

I really don't think the Eastern Gateway effects the Marvel timeline... I do think it helped make the final call to use Bugsland instead. I also think it's definitely pushed back 'other' DCA stuff.

hmmm that's interesting. I never really made the connection that Marvel Land was moved to Bugs land because of the stall of the Eastern gateway. Only because the rumored location (specifically the Coaster) has gone back and forth over the last couple years. Makes sense though and they can still utilize a portion of the bus transport area if they choose in the future for Marvel land. Anyway if we are to believe the micechat rumors then I guess you're right and there is really no reason they can't announce Marvel Land now.

Last edited:

truecoat

hmmm that's interesting. I never really made the connection that Marvel Land was moved to Bugs land because of the stall of the Eastern gateway. Only because the rumored location (specifically the Coaster) has gone back and forth over the last couple years. Makes sense though and they can still utilize a portion of the bus transport area if they choose in the future for Marvel land. Anyway if we are to believe the micechat rumors then I guess you're right and there is really no reason they can't announce Marvel Land now.

I think moving Marvel Land back was to put the Mickey ride in the front area.

BrianLo

Whomp, whomp. Well I guess it's safe to say this isn't a 2020 project.

Oh well, I'm incredibly exited for 2019 at DL and 2020 has some pretty hard to ignore offerings out of Tokyo and WDW.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Whomp, whomp. Well I guess it's safe to say this isn't a 2020 project.

Oh well, I'm incredibly exited for 2019 at DL and 2020 has some pretty hard to ignore offerings out of Tokyo and WDW.

Well a little disappointed, its like they pulled all but that lame mention at the last minute from D23 and/or Comic-Con. This tells me that things keep changing because they can't get the whole plan flushed out. Like certain things are holding up the larger plans, *cough* Eastern Gateway/City Council *cough*.

This tells me that after Galaxy's Edge there won't be a large project for DLR until the Eastern Gateway is finished. No TL redo, no FL expansion. I wonder if this means the new hotel is held up as well, its suppose to start construction sometime in early 2018.

BrianLo

You can bet your butt if Pixar had made it, a whole land would be in the pipeline for DCA and Epcot.

I'm so very grateful Monstropolis didn't get out the gate for DCA a few years ago. Go home Pixar, no one wants your warmed over dead IPs

Ouch! The Pixar hate is real.

I don't want more of the same Pixar. A Wall-E or Up dark ride? Yes please. As long as those two are somewhere semi-acceptable like in Tomorrowland for the former or a South America expansion for AK. Even Inside Out would be great... I just know where that makes sense on marketing paper... I can *imagine* the furor.

Curious Constance

You can bet your butt if Pixar had made it, a whole land would be in the pipeline for DCA and Epcot.

I'm so very grateful Monstropolis didn't get out the gate for DCA a few years ago. Go home Pixar, no one wants your warmed over dead IPs

200_s.gif

GiveMeTheMusic

Ouch! The Pixar hate is real.

I don't want more of the same Pixar. A Wall-E or Up dark ride? Yes please. As long as those two are somewhere semi-acceptable like in Tomorrowland for the former or a South America expansion for AK. Even Inside Out would be great... I just know where that makes sense on marketing paper... I can *imagine* the furor.

I don't even want Wall-E or Up. Those movies are nearly 10 years old and approaching obscurity via zero merchandise sales. In fact, it seems odd that Chapek would approve Rat for WDW for the same reason. I can only assume the cost savings of cloning from Paris factored into the decision.

Lasseter's outsize influence means the world has been flooded with crappy Pixar attractions, and incredibly, the flow of garbage just won't stop. Six Flags Over Andy's Backyard has infected four theme parks as of next year. Rat is mediocre. Cheap Nemo attractions are everywhere. Only Cars Land has really done its IP right. Every other Pixar attraction I can think of has systemic issues or was just flat out done badly.

I take that back - Monsters in TDL is great, even though it shouldn't be in Tomorrowland.

And now we have Pixar Pier to look forward to. If they're going to insist on doing their worst modern work on Pixar attractions, I'd prefer they just stopped altogether.

FerretAfros

Those movies are nearly 10 years old and approaching obscurity via zero merchandise sales. In fact, it seems odd that Chapek would approve Rat for WDW for the same reason. I can only assume the cost savings of cloning from Paris factored into the decision.
Although it's virtually non-existent at DLR, Ratatouille actually does pretty decent merchandise sales in Epcot. If I had to guess, I would say it's probably the most popular character-branded merchandise in World Showcase. Remy has also been featured on the park's annual International Food & Wine Festival merchandise (with strong sales) for several years. I think it helps that within WDW Ratatouille merchandise can only really be found at Epcot, so there's some exclusivity and uniqueness, and it's a film with more adult themes while still being a cute-and-cuddly character, so it can appeal to a broader audience than something like the Princess line. Remy is definitely not an A-lister, but he performs solidly and consistently

At DLP, Ratatouille merchandise is incredibly popular. The film always resonated with French audiences, and now with the ride and restaurant, merchandise flies off the shelves. DLP and Epcot's France pavilion already share a lot of co-branded merchandise (or similar designs with label changes for their respective parks), so I expect a lot of the Rat merchandise will make its way stateside

But one of the biggest reasons that Ratatouille was chosen wasn't the merchandise opportunities or the cost savings in copying the design (which frankly is minimal compared to the construction costs), but the time savings in having a project that is ready to go. Similar to the trackless Mickey ride, WDW wants to use the attraction as counterprogramming against Star Wars, and needs it to open at roughly the same time in order to disperse crowds.

The location in the France pavilion makes it an even more appealing option, since International Gateway is easily accessible from the Studios. It will also help create a draw to Epcot while all sorts of other projects take place around the park, similar to how World of Color helped pull crowds to DCA during its redo. Although other options were considered (including a Beauty and the Beast ride similar to what Tokyo is getting), they went with Ratatouille because it could be done quickly; they need this thing open yesterday.

GiveMeTheMusic

Although other options were considered (including a Beauty and the Beast ride similar to what Tokyo is getting), they went with Ratatouille because it could be done quickly; they need this thing open yesterday.

That's no one's fault but their own. The ride opened in Paris 3 years ago.

If only there was someone in charge who could lay out a long term vision and actually progress through a plan that made sense instead of waiting to the last possible minute and flinging stuff at the wall like TRON.

I do wish the Rat ride was better though - at the end of the day it's a very expensive and unimpressive attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom