Satellite shots of Florida

Beany-Fantasmic

Original Poster
I'm sorry, I tried searching but this was only mentioned once in one random thread which I can't find. I can't find it in my history search either.
It was an excellent website with close up images of WDW and surrounding Florida. All i remember is the website began www.terra ... and then I forget. Please help!

You have two good options for satellite photos:

1) The new Google maps service. Type in an address on Google Maps, then click "Satellite" to get to the Satellite photos. Fantastic service (you can drag your mouse to move around), but the closest zoom level, though of fantastic detail, is a little small.
2) http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ actually has the exact same photos, with a clunkier interface, but they appear to be zoomed a little more on my monitor, to the point where you can actually see people (just as blobs). Other advantage to this site is it tells you when the photo was taken - Disneyworld is a little older, Disneyland is only a year old.

Try checking out Disneyland too - the photos are very interesting. Oh, and be sure to check your house - on Terraserver, I could recognize my own car parked in my driveway! Freaky...

notnothin

TheDisneyMagic

notnothin said:
Yup! I LOVE google maps. The addition of satellite images courtesy of the Keyhole aqusition is the best thing I've seen in a while!
I agree, I have been using this for the last couple of days and I am really impressed.

Pongo

How come parts of the map look like they're underwater? I tried to look at Epcot at the Google site the other day, and it was all blue and blurry. And today I was going down the length of I-4 :)lol: ) and around DTD it started to do the same thing.

Were these shots taken on a rainy day or something?

Robfasto

Pongo said:
How come parts of the map look like they're underwater? I tried to look at Epcot at the Google site the other day, and it was all blue and blurry. And today I was going down the length of I-4 :)lol: ) and around DTD it started to do the same thing.

Were these shots taken on a rainy day or something?

It is because the images change resolution, the change runs across the property right through the American Adventure. Everything to the North is at 1 foot Resolution (each pixel is equal to 1 foot) and everything to the South is 1 Meter. What that means is everything to the North is 3 times clearer than the South.

Also each of the sites mentioned sometimes have different images. As an example using Keyhole and Terraserver over Disneyland, Terraserver has 1 foot per pixel and Keyhole is still using the 2 foot per pixel.

shakes20

Thanks for all of the links everyone, I too love looking at all things Disney! But does anyone else think that these pictures take away a little of the magic? WDW does such a good job of keeping you in the magic, the theming all matches, all you can see fits the land that you are in (exceptions noted for the Swan Resort and now Soarin Over Canada :lookaroun ). It sort of ruins it for me to see all of the parking lots, ride buildings, and service areas behind the attractions. I mean, I know that they are there, I just don't want to KNOW that they are there. Does that make sense? Anyway, I still looked, and it's still fun, and in a small way it helps me get to WDW when I'm stuck here in Iowa...

bjunderwood

shakes20 said:
Thanks for all of the links everyone, I too love looking at all things Disney! But does anyone else think that these pictures take away a little of the magic? WDW does such a good job of keeping you in the magic, the theming all matches, all you can see fits the land that you are in (exceptions noted for the Swan Resort and now Soarin Over Canada :lookaroun ). It sort of ruins it for me to see all of the parking lots, ride buildings, and service areas behind the attractions. I mean, I know that they are there, I just don't want to KNOW that they are there. Does that make sense? Anyway, I still looked, and it's still fun, and in a small way it helps me get to WDW when I'm stuck here in Iowa...

im hearing you, des moines is SO much blander than wdw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom