Safety Raid at DLR. Could it happen here?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And Soarin' is one of them. Soarin' was cloned at Epcot four years after it opened in DCA. But the Epcot version of Soarin' remains operational. What's so inherently dangerous about the DCA version of Soarin', after it has had annual DOSH inspections from Sacramento regulators every year since 2001? While the Epcot version of Soarin' is not subject to annual inspection by state theme park ride regulators from Tallahassee. But the Epcot version continues to operate this week.

This whole thing is very odd. There's a bit part of the story here we haven't been told yet.

I remember several months back WDW Soarin abruptly closing. I think it was just for a day. Wonder if that tied to the troubles of Soarin Cali? Guess it doesn't mean Epcot's is any safer than Cali's, cause Cali didn't do anything till now, WDW just might get a fixing after Soarin Cali, possibly?

fosse76

OSHA dictates at what height off the ground requires passive (guardrails)/active (harness & restraint) fall protection. In the case of guardrails, OSHA dictates the top bar height, middle bar height, and toe kick height. As long as Disney's solution meets OSHA requirements, Disney is free to develop a solution of whatever degree of optical delight.
That was my point (which you clearly missed). Whenever Disney installs nets, or ugly guard rails (or whatever) as a response to an incident or some investigation, people on these and other boards immediately blame overregulation or frivolous lawsuits for such ugly modicfications. My point is that Disney, in meeting guidelines, opted for the easiest, cheapest and ugliest solution instead of attempting to integrate the safety requirements, OSHA (whichever states' version is applicable) didn't tell Disney "Put up those ugly nets" or "put up ugly green un-themed guardrails."

Clever Name

No, I'm not. I'm simply referring to Florida's version of OSHA as OSHA. As a federal prosecutor, I'm well aware of jurisdictional matters.
The Florida version of OSHA falls under the Division of Disease Control and Health Protection. They are funded by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). They have absolutely nothing to do with regulating WDW. Also, there is no OSHA (DOL) approved plan for the state of Florida.

There is a Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection (it falls under the Florida Dept. of Agriculture) but as I already mentioned, WDW is exempt from their oversight except that they (WDW) have agreed (since 2001) to report serious injury or death cases

The OP wanted to know if a "safety raid" such as occurred at Disneyland could also occur at WDW. The answer is no. There is no "Florida version of OSHA" that has the jurisdiction or the authority to conduct such a raid.

Also, as a federal prosecutor, you should know the Department of Labor, OSHA is only going to conduct an investigation as the direct result of an incident over which they have authority and jurisdiction which would include serious injury or death of a WDW employee. They are not going to pop in unannounced and perform safety inspections. Federal authority is limited and restricted for good reason.

PhotoDave219

The Florida version of OSHA falls under the Division of Disease Control and Health Protection. They are funded by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). They have absolutely nothing to do with regulating WDW. Also, there is no OSHA (DOL) approved plan for the state of Florida.

There is a Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspection (it falls under the Florida Dept. of Agriculture) but as I already mentioned, WDW is exempt from their oversight except that they (WDW) have agreed (since 2001) to report serious injury or death cases

The OP wanted to know if a "safety raid" such as occurred at Disneyland could also occur at WDW. The answer is no. There is no "Florida version of OSHA" that has the jurisdiction or the authority to conduct such a raid.

Also, as a federal prosecutor, you should know the Department of Labor, OSHA is only going to conduct an investigation as the direct result of an incident over which they have authority and jurisdiction which would include serious injury or death of a WDW employee. They are not going to pop in unannounced and perform safety inspections. Federal authority is limited and restricted for good reason.

... which goes to my point is that Disney shouldnt need the government to force them to do the right things. They should be doing the right thing when it comes to maintenance as well as cast & guest safety every time, rather than whats easiest/cheapest.

luv

I do not like the nets. I was okay with them at first. They had to make sure everyone was safe if tree parts came falling down while they investigated and (possibly) fixed things. But now that they've decided to just Have Nets, it is rubbing me the wrong way. In a big way.

Take down the nets! (Please.)

fosse76

I never said they regulate WDW, at least not in the way you keep implying. And you are correct that there is no Florida version of OSHA that regulates WDW (I wasn't sure if Forida had one or not). That means Federal OSHA regulates all employers in Florida with regards to worker safety, and that includes WDW.

You keep saying that, but I don't recall anyone arguing with you. Though you leave out one important point: GUEST injury or death. If an employee is injured or killed, you can bet there is no voluntary aspect for Disney's cooperation with OSHA.

I guess this is where we are disagreeing, because of the term "raid." It wasn't a "raid." OSHA was doing a follow-up inspection from an incident that was reported from 5 months ago...and while they were there they found other violations and cited Disneyland for them. The inspector didn't wake-up in the morning and decide "I'm going to shut down Space Mountain today." I don't believe any states with their own OSHA programs conduct random inspections, either.

For sure. As I said above, the Disneyland fines were not the result of a raid, but rather a follow-up inspection. Also, it is important to note that OSHA is a Federal agency which has jurisdiction in all 50 states. 22 states have their own version of OSHA which were approved by Federal OSHA and therefore those workers are protected by the state they work (but that doesn'e negate Federal OSHA's jurisdiction). And as you correctly stated above, Florida is NOT one of them. However, that doesn't mean Floridians are not protected. They are protected under Federal OSHA. Which includes WDW. And if an inspector is called to WDW for an investigation of a reported incident, s/he can inspect and write violations for anything s/he sees while there.

Nubs70

... which goes to my point is that Disney shouldnt need the government to force them to do the right things. They should be doing the right thing when it comes to maintenance as well as cast & guest safety every time, rather than whats easiest/cheapest.
If you dig around LinkedIn, the CEO of Panera Bread speaks to this topic in reference to Ron Johnson and JCP. It showed up today and for the life of me I cannot find the article again.

Clever Name

However, that doesn't mean Floridians are not protected. They are protected under Federal OSHA. Which includes WDW. And if an inspector is called to WDW for an investigation of a reported incident, s/he can inspect and write violations for anything s/he sees while there.

As I stated before, you are not correct. Federal OSHA does not protect "Floridians" at WDW. It only protects employees working at WDW. The following quote is from a letter written by Richard E. Fairfax, Director, Directorate of Enforcement Programs for Federal OSHA:

"With regard to OSHA regulations of carnivals, amusement parks, and water parks, OSHA's general industry standards would apply to occupational safety and health for employees working at these facilities. However, the Agency does not regulate the public visiting these facilities, nor do we track their accidents. Such facilities are generally state-regulated, and the applicable regulations vary by state. While authority under each individual state's legislation differs, the main purpose is the prevention of ride incidents through the early identification of unsafe and defective rides." http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25151

Also, as I previously stated, WDW is exempt from state oversight concerning guest accidents. WDW has agreed to report serious guest injuries and guest deaths to the state.

Clever Name

Are there no Floridians working at Walt Disney World?
Yes, and there are also non Floridians working at WDW. All the workers are protected under Federal OSHA regardless of their residence. Guests are not protected under Federal OSHA even if they are Floridians. Therefore, Federal OSHA does not protect "Floridians" per se.

Neverland

I don't think WDW has too much to worry about. In terms of cast safety, it seems to be wayyyyyy more focused-upon at WDW than at DL. As an attractions CM at WDW, the first thing you learn is safety, safety, safety. I attended a meeting just a few days ago that was dedicated to safety. There are protocols for everything, and many rides are frequently updated, making them even safer (bet you didn't notice that Peter Pan's Flight got a whole set of new buttons at unload, or those new ride access boards at the carrousel and the teacups, all for safety reasons). There are sayings to remember, there are awards, there are safe practices urged for just about everything, even promoting no texting while walking, or not sitting on stairs. There's been a HUGE safety push in the last few years, and the way the attractions are run has changed quite a bit. Now, for DL, I'm just going off of things I've observed and things I've been told from friends who work(ed) there, but there are some things I've seen/heard that absolutely would not fly at any WDW attraction.

Not an attraction, but an example is that WDW CMs are told to never, ever duck under or climb over a rope (sounds silly, but I've seen horrible injuries from this), leave a stanchion pole with no ropes unattended (random 3 foot pole sticking up in the middle of the walkway, you do the math), or let a rope touch the ground (trip hazard). Meanwhile, on my last visit to DL, in November, I saw scores of CMs ducking under ropes, fields of stanchions just left in the middle of walkways, and ropes all over the ground. Not to mention the heart attacks I nearly had whenever I saw any of them crossing a ride track all willy-nilly or not watching a moving vehicle, both of which can garner discipline at WDW.

Californian Elitist

I don't think WDW has too much to worry about. In terms of cast safety, it seems to be wayyyyyy more focused-upon at WDW than at DL. As an attractions CM at WDW, the first thing you learn is safety, safety, safety. I attended a meeting just a few days ago that was dedicated to safety. There are protocols for everything, and many rides are frequently updated, making them even safer (bet you didn't notice that Peter Pan's Flight got a whole set of new buttons at unload, or those new ride access boards at the carrousel and the teacups, all for safety reasons). There are sayings to remember, there are awards, there are safe practices urged for just about everything, even promoting no texting while walking, or not sitting on stairs. There's been a HUGE safety push in the last few years, and the way the attractions are run has changed quite a bit. Now, for DL, I'm just going off of things I've observed and things I've been told from friends who work(ed) there, but there are some things I've seen/heard that absolutely would not fly at any WDW attraction.

Not an attraction, but an example is that WDW CMs are told to never, ever duck under or climb over a rope (sounds silly, but I've seen horrible injuries from this), leave a stanchion pole with no ropes unattended (random 3 foot pole sticking up in the middle of the walkway, you do the math), or let a rope touch the ground (trip hazard). Meanwhile, on my last visit to DL, in November, I saw scores of CMs ducking under ropes, fields of stanchions just left in the middle of walkways, and ropes all over the ground. Not to mention the heart attacks I nearly had whenever I saw any of them crossing a ride track all willy-nilly or not watching a moving vehicle, both of which can garner discipline at WDW.

Different rules for different coasts. Attractions CMs at the DLR aren't supposed to open the ride if a show effect is not working. Apparently that's okay in Florida.

Safety issues for the DLR attractions include walking into an attraction without locking and tagging out, crossing the track without a vehicle at rest, or without the ride being shut down, jumping into the water, bumping boats into other boats, certain spieling, etc. Different rules. Ropes aren't allowed on the ground, but CMs are welcomed to duck under them. WDW and the DLR are completely different in many things, so it's expected for some rules to be different on each coast.

fosse76

As I stated before, you are not correct. Federal OSHA does not protect "Floridians" at WDW. It only protects employees working at WDW. The following quote is from a letter written by Richard E. Fairfax, Director, Directorate of Enforcement Programs for Federal OSHA:
You know what I meant, you are using semantics to try to prove yourself right when in fact you were attempting to mislead by stating OSHA had no jurisdiction over WDW. OSHA regulates employee safety. Florida does not have a state program that is approved by OSHA, so OSHA at the Federal level asserts jurisdiction over Florida businesses, including WDW. If Space Mountain derails, OSHA could care less. If it derails and hits an employee, you can bet the house that OSHA will be there investigating.

"With regard to OSHA regulations of carnivals, amusement parks, and water parks, OSHA's general industry standards would apply to occupational safety and health for employees working at these facilities. However, the Agency does not regulate the public visiting these facilities, nor do we track their accidents. Such facilities are generally state-regulated, and the applicable regulations vary by state. While authority under each individual state's legislation differs, the main purpose is the prevention of ride incidents through the early identification of unsafe and defective rides." http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=25151
NOBODY DISAGREED WITH YOU. You keep bringing this up. However, OSHA DOES regulate the theme park industry with regards to EMPLOYEE safety, and you keep circling around that fact by pulling up the same tired information that no one has disputed, but which is irrelevant. I'm not saying the regulations apply strictly for theme park settings. You keep arguing that OSHA has no jurisdiction over WDW, and I'm telling you you are wrong.

Also, as I previously stated, WDW is exempt from state oversight concerning guest accidents. WDW has agreed to report serious guest injuries and guest deaths to the state.
Which is irrelevant to this thread. OSHA regulates employee safety at WDW (and other businesses). No one has disputed that it has no jurisdiction over the guest safety aspect of the industry.

I will agree that OSHA does not "specifically" regulate the amusement park industry. However, since WDW has, you know, EMPLOYEES, then WDW is regulated by OSHA with regards to EMPLOYEE safety. OSHA can do at Disney World what happened at DIsneyland. Whether or not they would is an entirely different question.

fosse76

Different rules for different coasts. Attractions CMs at the DLR aren't supposed to open the ride if a show effect is not working. Apparently that's okay in Florida.

Safety issues for the DLR attractions include walking into an attraction without locking and tagging out, crossing the track without a vehicle at rest, or without the ride being shut down, jumping into the water, bumping boats into other boats, certain spieling, etc. Different rules. Ropes aren't allowed on the ground, but CMs are welcomed to duck under them. WDW and the DLR are completely different in many things, so it's expected for some rules to be different on each coast.
Back when I worked at Six Flags (in Chicago), they were very strict with safety in the rides department. We could not walk the track area without placing the "tag out" sign over the control panel; we could not walk the track area without a hard hat; we could not cross coaster tracks except through an empty row of a parked train, and only after alerting all hosts on the platform and a visual cue from the control panel that s/he is not touching the control panel; leads were required to sign-off a checklist (twice per day) of items associated with that ride, and if they checked "no" the ride could only be opened with a Supervisor's approval. Then there was more obvious things, like paying attention to the ride while in motion, not dispatching trains with guests on the unload platform, physically checking all restraints, not operating flat rides with gates open, doing safety spiels. And let me tell you, at least back then, it was very easy to get safety violations...and the second one removed you from the rides department. They were very strict back then. I remember being shocked at DIsney's procedures in Florida, and how lax they appeared (at least on the surface).

Californian Elitist

Back when I worked at Six Flags (in Chicago), they were very strict with safety in the rides department. We could not walk the track area without placing the "tag out" sign over the control panel; we could not walk the track area without a hard hat; we could not cross coaster tracks except through an empty row of a parked train, and only after alerting all hosts on the platform and a visual cue from the control panel that s/he is not touching the control panel; leads were required to sign-off a checklist (twice per day) of items associated with that ride, and if they checked "no" the ride could only be opened with a Supervisor's approval. Then there was more obvious things, like paying attention to the ride while in motion, not dispatching trains with guests on the unload platform, physically checking all restraints, not operating flat rides with gates open, doing safety spiels. And let me tell you, at least back then, it was very easy to get safety violations...and the second one removed you from the rides department. They were very strict back then. I remember being shocked at DIsney's procedures in Florida, and how lax they appeared (at least on the surface).

The rules are almost the same. I can definitely see why a hard hat was required at Six Flags. Makes sense when you think about it. Same for Disneyland, we couldn't open the ride unless someone from maintenance signed off the card. It's very easy to get a safety for Matterhorn. I was so happy I never trained for that ride, I didn't want any safeties.

TP2000

LATEST UPDATE 4/19/13:

Soarin' Over California has just opened this morning and both theaters are operating normally.

An "Editors Note" note from Miceage appeared late Thursday night that talks about the California Screamin' closure yesterday, and the future for Space Mountain.

UPDATED April 19, 2013: Thursday brought good news and bad news for Disneyland's ride closure saga. First the good news; DOSH inspectors arrived at Soarin' on Thursday morning and blessed the temporary fall protection proposals for maintenance workers, and Soarin' should be reopening within days. The bad news; Space Mountain's fixes will take much longer, and April visitors shouldn't count on Space Mountain being open. More bad news, after the DOSH inspectors finished at Soarin' they paid a surprise visit to California Screamin' and demanded to look at several elevated evacuation platforms throughout the track. California Screamin' was shut down suddenly by DOSH at 1:45 P.M. on Thursday afternoon and was kept closed for the rest of Thursday per the inspectors findings. DCA's managers scrambled to rewrite evacuation and maintenance procedures for the big coaster on Thursday night, and then train those new procedures to all CM's for a hopeful reopening on Friday. Ongoing ride closure discussion on MiceChat HERE.

Twelve Noon Pacific Time Update: California Screamin' remains closed thus far on Friday.

2:00PM Pacific Time Update: California Screamin' has now reopened and is operating normally.

Clever Name

He knew what I meant. He knew I was using Floridians as the catch-all for employees in Florida, he's just being argumentative.
It's hard to understand what you mean when you say something that is vague and misleading. WDW has many employees that are not Florida residents. It has many employees that are not residents of the USA.

Therefore many employees of WDW who are not Floridians are covered by OSHA protection. I can't help it if you are inaccurate in your terminology.
I think the real problem, which was seen during the monorail tragedy, is how toothless Florida's version of OSHA is. If I recall the fines weren't that high.
Once again you mention "Florida's version of OSHA" and you say that you recall that the fines they imposed were not that high. That is just gibberish.
No, I'm not. I'm simply referring to Florida's version of OSHA as OSHA. As a federal prosecutor, I'm well aware of jurisdictional matters.
This makes no sense. Again, more gibberish.

The state of Florida does not perform any sort of safety inspections or have any safety related regulatory authority over WDW. Yet you say "Florida's version of OSHA" has imposed fines against WDW.

Only three agencies investigated the 2009 monorail accident. The National Transportation Safety Board, Federal OSHA and the Orange County Sheriff's Office. The state of Florida had no involvement.

Your repeated use of the term "Florida's version of OSHA" makes it clear that you have no worthwhile knowledge of U.S. Department of Labor regulations that protect employees at WDW.

You were not even aware (until I brought it to your attention) that the state of Florida is not certified to assume OHS act enforcement or administration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom