Safety Raid at DLR. Could it happen here?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Original Poster
From micechat

Rough Day For Disneyland: Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, and Sorin' Over California were all closed by DOSH for inadequate fall protection. Meanwhile Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage remains closed because of a fire on the Seafarer. Ouch

Unfortunately, we don't know more. We don't know if Disney was warned first and simply didn't satisfy DOSH concerns or if this was a surprise. All we can point back to is what happened to the Alice ride a couple of years ago. And that still hasn't been fully resolved.

Hopefully Disney can implore DOSH to give them some more time to implement changes and get the rides reopened. After all, these rides have been running for years with few problems.

We shall have to wait and see. Though, don't expect truthful answers from Disney or their media partners. They'll simply say things like: "Matterhorn bobsleds is closed due to a visit from the mountain's monster.

Being this happened in the absolute WORST state in the Union, it is fishy IMO. It screams as nothing more than a way to create a new department to gain new revenue via fines. DLR surely could not have more issues than a six flags park.

JimboJones123

Thank goodness DL has enough attractions to filter guests to.

Imagine Test Track, Sorin, and Spaceship Earth shutting down.

Or Everest, Safari, and Dinosaur.

Even worse, Star Tours, R&R and Toy Story Mania.

The big crime here is how little rides that WDW parks have compared to DL parks.

At DL, there are still Star Tours, Indy, Splash, and a dozen other dark/darkish rides to fill the void. DCA, even more attractions.

MK is fine. The other parks still need 3-5 more rides each.

At DL, each park is nearly a 2 day park. Thank goodness this all happened on the left coast.

RonAnnArbor

By the way -- before it gets too out of hand, what they are cited for is not having seat belts. I am sure the lawyers have more to do with this than anything in park operations. They'll battle it out and win.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
By the way -- before it gets too out of hand, what they are cited for is not having seat belts. I am sure the lawyers have more to do with this than anything in park operations. They'll battle it out and win.
What? There are no restraints on Space Mountain and these other attractions at Disneyland?

How have they remained open all these years?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What? There are no restraints on Space Mountain and these other attractions at Disneyland?

How have they remained open all these years?

I couldn't remember (which is weird, since I was just there a month and a half ago)...but no, unlike WDW, Space Mountain in DL has no restraints. I had completely forgotten...

--edit--

I meant restraints over the head, like Space at WDW...

--edit--

Still seems silly.

pheneix

Soarin is already equipped with seat belts and is one of the rides that got roped in on this DOSH raid today. Care to elaborate?

J03Y

Thank goodness DL has enough attractions to filter guests to.

Imagine Test Track, Sorin, and Spaceship Earth shutting down.

Or Everest, Safari, and Dinosaur.

Even worse, Star Tours, R&R and Toy Story Mania.

The big crime here is how little rides that WDW parks have compared to DL parks.

At DL, there are still Star Tours, Indy, Splash, and a dozen other dark/darkish rides to fill the void. DCA, even more attractions.

MK is fine. The other parks still need 3-5 more rides each.

At DL, each park is nearly a 2 day park. Thank goodness this all happened on the left coast.

it's because of sizes, they have enough space to make four parks that cover many different themes that can allow assortments of rides and spread them out.

if any certain rides are closed down they can very easily be all in one whole park which is very bad.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There are lap bars on Space. Splash doesn't have restraints. That doesn't matter anyway, DOSH deals with employee safety, not guest safety.

Nemo and Splash are back up.

DOSH also deals with Public Safety...at least according to their site.

The Division of Occupational Safety and Health, better known as Cal/OSHA, protects workers and the public from safety hazards through its Occupational Safety and Health, elevator, amusement ride, aerial tramway, ski lift and pressure vessel inspection programs, and also provides consultative assistance to employers.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The only reason I don't think this can happen at Walt Disney World is because I believe their is no similar agency in Florida with such jurisdiction over fixed amusements.

And for those rolling their eyes at California, the impetus for them to be so involved was Disney being responsible for the death of two guests.

The last ride related Disneyland death I could find was in 2003 when BTM's train derailed.

What two deaths are you referring to?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom