Safe to panic now (Seas Holes!)

wannab@dis

diz4life said:
allowing EVERYONE to have an amazing time and experience something new within the World

:sohappy:

Absolutely! It's about the guests having a blast during their visit. They work and strive to build experiences that entertains most of the guests that walk through the gates so they can leave after having a magical time.

That's why so many of us are looking forward to the updates at the Seas so even more people will experience and enjoy the pavillion! Combined with the extremely successful Land update and rumored changes for Imagination and it's looks like they are serious about making our visits even more magical.

Welcome to the boards and enjoy!! :wave:

PintoColvig

I've been away from the forums and this thread since the weekend. You people ought to go back and read what's been written over the past few days. Way too much pride and way too much drama and way too many inconsiderate posts. What upsets me most is that I wasn't in on the fun! :brick:

wdwmagic...where anyone can be full of crap and think they're an expert.

beanboon

I'm glad you're here to straighten us all out. Thanks.

diz4life said:
OK, listen up! I am new to this forum. My wife and I are very confused about why everyone here seems to think that they are the definative authority on WDW. There are countless ways to enjoy WDW and no two people are going to enjoy it the same way. The beauty of Disney is that different people will enjoy it in differnt ways. My wife and I do not have kids and will not have kids, but that does mean that we will enjoy WDW any less than than a family of four. Yes, I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but at the same time I love to ride Soarin' (I realize that these rides are entirely different and in different parks... RELAX). Disney is about the old and the new. It is about transcending generations and allowing EVERYONE to have an amazing time and experience something new within the World. My wife and I turn to Disney to forget about the doldrums and competativeness of everyday life, but YOU people seem to want to fight about this mutual love. If there were not a Disnwy, we would not be here right now. The point is this: We all love Disney (and the thought of it) for different reasons. We all get very excited over possible news and rumors, yet deep down know they are probably not 100% true.
We are new to this forum, but love Disney. We have no children and do not anticipate any in the future. The real issue here is that we all love the parks. Some of us hate new ideas and some of us embrace change. Either way, we ALL love this place or we would not be here ,having this discussion right now.
I look forward to having many discussions with you all and sharing valuable info with all of you fellow Disney lovers down the road...:wave:

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
diz4life said:
OK, listen up! I am new to this forum. My wife and I are very confused about why everyone here seems to think that they are the definative authority on WDW. There are countless ways to enjoy WDW and no two people are going to enjoy it the same way. The beauty of Disney is that different people will enjoy it in differnt ways. My wife and I do not have kids and will not have kids, but that does mean that we will enjoy WDW any less than than a family of four. Yes, I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, but at the same time I love to ride Soarin' (I realize that these rides are entirely different and in different parks... RELAX). Disney is about the old and the new. It is about transcending generations and allowing EVERYONE to have an amazing time and experience something new within the World. My wife and I turn to Disney to forget about the doldrums and competativeness of everyday life, but YOU people seem to want to fight about this mutual love. If there were not a Disnwy, we would not be here right now. The point is this: We all love Disney (and the thought of it) for different reasons. We all get very excited over possible news and rumors, yet deep down know they are probably not 100% true.
We are new to this forum, but love Disney. We have no children and do not anticipate any in the future. The real issue here is that we all love the parks. Some of us hate new ideas and some of us embrace change. Either way, we ALL love this place or we would not be here ,having this discussion right now.
I look forward to having many discussions with you all and sharing valuable info with all of you fellow Disney lovers down the road...:wave:

Wow, I like this one :wave: Hello!

MiklCraw4d

Lee said:
Ummm...let's see....the carpet, the paint, the layout, the music, the overall ambience...pretty much every square inch is an improvement over what was there.:rolleyes:
I guess this is one of those things that WDW fans will disagree on forever.

I, for one, am glad they added Soarin' (although I'm looking forward to a more relevant film) and *love* the changes they made to the pavilion exterior, but I really, sincerely think the new interior design is hideously ugly.

Now I'd rather have sweet new attraction and ugly paint/light design, but still... I long for the days of concealed light fixtures and HVAC.

I also think the current floor layout of the pavilion is kinda FUBAR'ed. With all those new guests crowding in I think it shows the inherent shortcomings in the traffic flow.

But, as I said, just my opinion...

MiklCraw4d

mousermerf said:
*sighs*

Tropical Storms, forest fires, WDWmagic bickering - this is why you shouldn't put holes in pretty murals.
LOL

We *told* them but they just *wouldn't* listen, right?

Pandora's Mural strikes again...

MiklCraw4d

CommandoDisney said:
1. if they brought in strippers and more people went in to the land, then yes it would be a success. the whole point is to get people to go into the building. mcdonalds views it as a success when people eat their burgers, not when people gain weight from it, thats just an unfortunate side effect. strippers probably wouldnt fit in with the theme of the land though. plus it being a family park i seriously doubt it would raise attendance numbers. would it be a moral victory? no. but still a success, i didnt say what kind it was.
Oh good grief.

Congratulations, that MBA will be in the mail any day now.

Anyway, I can't say anything more cogent about the varying definitions of 'success' than Planet7 already has. He pretty much crystallized my entire mindset on the matter, so I thank him for stealing my brainwaves and saving me the time of typing them in myself.

Anyway, about that mural...

I'm intrigued to see what they do to Seas visually. A little extra lighting might help the mural, especially since the pavilion will be drawing more visitors later at night.

Has there been any more discussion about the interior design of the pavilion? I hope it doesn't just stay a dark, monochrome blue. It certainly doesn't fit with the remains of all the Seabase Alpha fixtures they just painted over. I'm sure they're on top of it, but I was just wondering if there was a definite concept floating around.

As to the question about the "Northwest Passage", I'm not sure now if it was ever open from Spaceship Earth to the Land. I'm certain you used to be able to get from Spaceship Earth to UoE, right? Either way, I'm all for shaving the ends off of the CommuniCore buildings to open up the park a little. It would help traffic flow and increase pedestrian traffic to those out-of-the way areas.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
There has never been a public walking path connecting SSE's plaza to either Energy or Seas.

People often assumed as much about Energy, but it's never been there. the only path is a CM trail that goes under the monorail beam and pops out at Guest relations and rehires hiking shoes for the tall gass and a pooper-scooper since it's a designated guide-dog potty.

MiklCraw4d

mousermerf said:
There has never been a public walking path connecting SSE's plaza to either Energy or Seas.

:brick: Man, darn these hallucinations. I knew I should do something about those.

Well, ok, there wasn't ever a path... but ... but ... there *should* be!!! :)

MiklCraw4d said:
Oh good grief.

Congratulations, that MBA will be in the mail any day now.

Anyway, I can't say anything more cogent about the varying definitions of 'success' than Planet7 already has. He pretty much crystallized my entire mindset on the matter, so I thank him for stealing my brainwaves and saving me the time of typing them in myself.

for the last freakin time, its not MY definition its out of the freakin dictionary!! i dont care!!! please dont take anything i say seriously...

HOLES!!!!

planet7

MiklCraw4d said:
Oh good grief. Congratulations, that MBA will be in the mail any day now.

LOL! And right on the mark. :sohappy:

MiklCraw4d said:
Planet7 already has. He pretty much crystallized my entire mindset on the matter, so I thank him for stealing my brainwaves and saving me the time of typing them in myself

Darn! I hoped you hadn't noticed that 80-foot satellite dish aimed at your head! (No, don't worry, it was mounted to the ground). :lookaroun

MiklCraw4d said:
As to the question about the "Northwest Passage", I'm not sure now if it was ever open from Spaceship Earth to the Land.

Yes, it was originally. One of the (many, many) things that really struck me about the original EPCOT Center, was the openness and the grand spaces. That particular corridor was very wide, open, inviting, and cool--a wonderful way to get from Point A to Piont B in air-conditioned comfort, enjoying spectacular views of Future World and some fun exhibits along the way. In a sense, Communicore was always a little bit of a bottleneck, but the corridors almost completely mitigated that while adding value.

To help jog your memory a bit, just inside the northwest entrance was FutureCom. I think "Art of Disney" or somesuch is in that space now.

As to access to The Seas, it didn't make it substantially shorter to get there (as it ended at the breezeway facing The Land, with no direct exits to The Seas), but it did at least make The Seas more visible, and mitigated traffic and congestion by providing an alternate route. And, of course, the air conditioning (and bench seats).

G7

planet7

mousermerf said:

Uh, yeah, there were (not directly to Seas, but to that area--see previous post). As to the one to Energy, there were doors at the end of Communicore (I think where Guest Relations is now; it used to be in Earth Station). If you continued forward (along the arcing path), Stargate would be to your right, and EPCOT Computer Central/Backstage Magic would be on your left. Just past those, to your left, the corridor branched off between the back of ECC/BSM and the north end of Energy Exchange. From there, you could enter Energy Exchange (on the right) or continue to the glass doors immediately facing Energy. Trust me on this, I used to have to stand guard at those doors for Rope Drop, and I had a wonderful view of Energy and Horizons from Energy Exchange.

G7

* I did get minor details wrong on a previous edit of this post; I just went back and looked at an old guidebook, correcting those details above. If anyone wants to see how Communicore was originally laid out, I'll scan the guidebook page.

planet7

Seas Entrance??

I just took another look at my guidebook, and it also shows a path leading from Communicore directly to The Seas. I don't remember this. Does anyone else??

G7

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
planet7 said:
I just took another look at my guidebook, and it also shows a path leading from Communicore directly to The Seas. I don't remember this. Does anyone else??

G7

Here you go - the original Communicore main traffic patterns (in yellow) with the shortest routes to Energy (red) and Seas (blue) - note this was including the Sunrise Terrace, Teachers Centre and Centorium extentions. It`s part of a topic I`ve been researching recently.

Attachments

• FLOW.jpg
    FLOW.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 83

joeg70

Is the former teachers center brown in color on this map. I had been in the teachers center years ago before the change over to Art of Disney. The second floor was a nice research area and i still have quite alot of printed paperwork, stat sheets, etc from this area. Even as a vetren of Epcot I can not place where that passageway was located. Was it near the restrooms on the right hand side of Spaceship earth?

BTW I am a long time reader but new poster.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Joe; welcome!

The original Teachers Center was part of EPCOT Outreach; here outreach is shown in green (west) and the Teachers Center with extention in dark blue (west). During the Innoventions conversion it spent some time in FutureChoice (orange, east) before it`s final days in the extended Innoventions north west.

Regarding the map above, counterclockwise from top you have

FutureCom (Orange, with Seas exit opposite FutureCom sign / ramp / Fountain of Information)

Outreach (Green, with Merchandise area on south edge in breezeway)

Teachers Center (Dark Blue with 1987 extention)

Sunrise Terrace (light blue)

Temporary area / TRON Arcade proposal / Expo Robotics light brown

FutureChoice with Electronic Forum (orange)

Centorium (green with 1989 extention)

Stargate (light blue)

TravelPort (Dark blue)

Energy Exchange (orange)

Computer Central / Astuter Computer Revue / Backstage Magic (red)

planet7

marni1971 said:
here outreach is shown in green (west) and the Teachers Center with extention in dark blue (west). During the Innoventions conversion it spent some time in FutureChoice (orange, east)

Wow, I never even knew the Teacher's Center lived beyond its stint adjacent to EPCOT Outreach. I thought it was evicted with Outreach (which as I understand was later temporarily relocated to Horizons' old VIP lounge, before closing for good--er, for bad).

Your map is a lot better than the one in the guidebook, too.

Great information! Thanks!

Btw, Joe or Martin--was the "second floor" to the Teacher's Center when it was moved to Communicore East? I visited the Teacher's Center at Outreach once (as a CM; I wanted to look at their info on monorails) and I didn't see any access to a second floor.

G7

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
planet7 - the only second floor in the South East quad was in Centorium. Apart from the film room and a few catwalks in Futurechoice Theatre.

BradleyJay

By the way... I also thought The Land was 'dark' and uninviting prior to the latest [sarcasm] "horrible" [/sarcasm] changes and I heard it from many others. :wave:

I am so glad I someone said this.

It is even funnier, when people spend so much time trying to defend the previous incarnation as if it was original to the park and therefore should never be changed.

If people look at old picutres of the Land, the Light Blue ceiling and Light White Walls are all much closer to the original decor of the pavilion, to the DARK Green and Rust Orange walls of the 94 rehab.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I think the only real loss through the various rehabs at the Land has been the big sky mural that used to fill the atrium. That was a work of art.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom