Safe to go Early June?

Zayegrrl

In the Parks
No
I know nothing is definite, but I'm seeing a lot of estimates for a June 1st re-opening. Our trip is scheduled for 6th-12th. We haven't booked any Disney reservations because of what's going on, but we're trying to do this sooner than later. One major downside for our situation is that we're from the lovely (sarcasm intended) state of New York. Not in a hot-spot area like NYC, but right now the whole state is being shut down. Flights from NY to FL right now are stating that if we were to go down, we would need to quarantine for 14 days. That's just not feasible for us. We're playing this week-by-week essentially, I just don't know if we should pull the plug on the whole trip or not.

epcotisbest

You couldnt get me on an airplane for free fare and a $1000 signing bonus until a year after they come up with a vaccine.

We just booked March 2021 and will be driving.

We drive from GA. One of my favorite parts of any trip is pool time, lots of pool time, and hot tub too. Right now I can't even imagine walking by a pool, much less getting in.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We drive from GA. One of my favorite parts of any trip is pool time, lots of pool time, and hot tub too. Right now I can't even imagine walking by a pool, much less getting in.
I would imagine the chlorine would take care of the virus but yes, until they get some decent treatments going and we get this first waive of heard immunity in place Id avoid pools as well.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

I would imagine the chlorine would take care of the virus but yes, until they get some decent treatments going and we get this first waive of heard immunity in place Id avoid pools as well.

Not enough chlorine in the world to make me feel comfortable for quite awhile. I admit to being scared and probably will be for much longer than June, which is when OP is considering going.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Who knows whats going to happen. But being from the stigmatized of NY, the way its going, you may be banned from entering FL, let alone WDW ( thats a pun by the way ;) ) My DS is presently living in upstate NY and we were telling him the same thing.

Upvote 0

John park hopper

For me it would be way to early. Have seen Italy and other countries are spraying the streets with some sort of disinfectant don't know if it is affective. My 92 year old aunt lives outside Albany NY very rural area they have low numbers nothing like NYC

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

We have a June 4-14 reservation, at All Star Movies.
Always drive to WDW from Chicago.
Just made FP selections yesterday!

......and I don’t think it’s gonna happen.......🤬

Upvote 0

Zayegrrl

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
For me it would be way to early. Have seen Italy and other countries are spraying the streets with some sort of disinfectant don't know if it is affective. My 92 year old aunt lives outside Albany NY very rural area they have low numbers nothing like NYC

Same with our area. We do have a strong foreign traveler population, but not nearly the amount of cases as lower in the state.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

If it was me, I would cancel. We had to cancel our 2 week spring break trip so I understand your disappointment.

Some states do not even have a projected peak until mid to late May. Would you be comfortable riding in a monorail car with someone who may be asymptotic from a late blooming state and not even know it? Would the trip have been worth it if you returned home ill? Just too soon for me.

Best of health to you and yours.

Upvote 0

kes601

If it was me, I would cancel. We had to cancel our 2 week spring break trip so I understand your disappointment.

Some states do not even have a projected peak until mid to late May. Would you be comfortable riding in a monorail car with someone who may be asymptotic from a late blooming state and not even know it? Would the trip have been worth it if you returned home ill? Just too soon for me.

Best of health to you and yours.
This is actually incorrect now. The latest data (as of yesterday and moreso this morning) show all states peaking by late April. Even Florida shows deaths essentailly ending by June 1.

That said, best case scenario is likely early June. We are scheduled to go June 27 and again August 1. Originalyl it was going to be one long trip starting on June 19, but we decided to split it in hopes that at least 1 of them happens. Already cancelled in March (last weekend they were open) and next weekend. This was after deciding to not go Presidents Weekends because of the crowds :-(

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

You couldnt get me on an airplane for free fare and a $1000 signing bonus until a year after they come up with a vaccine.

We just booked March 2021 and will be driving.
You won’t catch me anywhere near any theme park nor crowded space until 2021. It’s not worth the risk IMO. I’ll be at WDW for the anniversary next year but I’m not going until Fall.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

This is actually incorrect now. The latest data (as of yesterday and moreso this morning) show all states peaking by late April. Even Florida shows deaths essentailly ending by June 1.

That said, best case scenario is likely early June. We are scheduled to go June 27 and again August 1. Originalyl it was going to be one long trip starting on June 19, but we decided to split it in hopes that at least 1 of them happens. Already cancelled in March (last weekend they were open) and next weekend. This was after deciding to not go Presidents Weekends because of the crowds :-(
I don’t think anything is correct or incorrect anymore when it changes everyday. When my friends and colleagues stop passing away from this and/or being diagnosed, I’ll feel better.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not in any meaning of the word. It's too soon to tell if it'll even be open, and unless we make some serious progress on treatments by that time it'll be a big health risk as well.
There was “big” health risk before covid 19 depending on the state of health of any individual. With the number of people cramming into the parks, transportation, restaurants. Covid19 became an issue because it spread while asymptotic. Now we know that and can alter behavior moderately while a vaccine is developed, in conjunction with treatments, things will return to modified normal faster than you think.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

There was “big” health risk before covid 19 depending on the state of health of any individual. With the number of people cramming into the parks, transportation, restaurants. Covid19 became an issue because it spread while asymptotic. Now we know that and can alter behavior moderately while a vaccine is developed, in conjunction with treatments, things will return to modified normal faster than you think.
Ok, so assuming you can alter your behavior in a way that almost guarantees you won't get infected while you're there. The new question would be: would OP (or anyone else) be willing to do that, and would the trip still be worth it? It's very likely we're still going to have some form of SD by June, and in a theme park that's going to mean big changes to keep people apart in a place where you're normally squished together. Depending on the situation, parades, shows, fireworks, meet and greets, and so on could be cancelled, bus capacity could be lowered...maybe it won't be that extreme and it'll just be a slightly modified normal, but that risk that it won't be is there. So for me, that's why I said it wasn't safe in any sense. We can hope things will be well under control by then, but there's no being sure we will or what we'll have to do to maintain that control.

Upvote 0

wendysue

We are still booked for July 1 - 6 and another family member wants to go, but when I checked prices, the room only is 959.00 before taxes. To add park tickets for her would be another $1,000 just for a 4 day - 1 park per day ticket. That is just stupid! We probably will just cancel June and August trips and let our AP's expire.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Ok, so assuming you can alter your behavior in a way that almost guarantees you won't get infected while you're there. The new question would be: would OP (or anyone else) be willing to do that, and would the trip still be worth it? It's very likely we're still going to have some form of SD by June, and in a theme park that's going to mean big changes to keep people apart in a place where you're normally squished together. Depending on the situation, parades, shows, fireworks, meet and greets, and so on could be cancelled, bus capacity could be lowered...maybe it won't be that extreme and it'll just be a slightly modified normal, but that risk that it won't be is there. So for me, that's why I said it wasn't safe in any sense. We can hope things will be well under control by then, but there's no being sure we will or what we'll have to do to maintain that control.
Right but remember you are talking around 12 to 18 months to get a vaccine. During that time frame you have treatments that will help those who might get infected. During that time frame you (the heard) will be building immunity because of having contracted it and recovered. The whole lockdown we are in is because this thing was in the general population (likely since late last year) being transmitted unimpeded. Moving forward the landscape is different. We went from predictions of two million people dying in the US to maybe 60 thousand by the time we get through to the end of the curve and thats because we didnt know about it. Now we do. I dont think this will end up being the life altering event that people are afraid of it being generally speaking. Yes there is tragedy and people have lost friends and loved ones, but from a species level, its not species threatening and thats what I interpret some people and news media reactions.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom