Safaris change?

Skip

Does anyone have a photo of this dead "Big Red" elephant? I'm interested to see it (if it even existed). I heard that it was only around during the preview days of Animal Kingdom.

I kind of like the storyline... it makes you feel like you actually accomplished something. I hope they at least keep cute Little Red. :(

-Skip

ckvin

We just rode the safari over the weekend...the storyline could definitely stand to be changed. I don't think you even need something about poachers. I've always thought it was odd to ride though a real safari like that just to look at a fake elephant.

sknydave

It's probably pretty hard to make sure an elephant is in good view for the finale without keeping it locked in a small space

ms7479a

Am I wrong or did there use to be a part towards the end when the poachers would shoot at you? I seem to remember it happening either just before or after you reached the poacher's camp. Am I going crazy or did this actually use to exist?

ears2you

The poachers shooting at you from their speeding Jeep hasn't worked in quite a while.:(

from what ive heard, disney changed the shooting thing to be "more disney less violent" i think the warden actually had a gun in the end scene but now hes waving......

imagineersrock

Am I wrong or did there use to be a part towards the end when the poachers would shoot at you? I seem to remember it happening either just before or after you reached the poacher's camp. Am I going crazy or did this actually use to exist?
The Jeep hasn't worked in years...

BUT- the poachers still do shoot at you (sound effects) as you enter the geysers, though.

from what ive heard, disney changed the shooting thing to be "more disney less violent" i think the warden actually had a gun in the end scene but now hes waving......
Back in the day there was a jeep that drove around between the trees on a track alongside you through the geyser area (where you still hear the gunshots today.)

At the very last part of the poachers scene, you came upon Wilson's (expertly landed) plane, the poacher's Jeep, and the Reserve Warden Truck where Little Red is safe in the back of... And standing in the middle of it all was a (live person playing) warden who held the poachers at gun point and interacted with the driver telling everyone that "Little Red is O-KAY!"

Fast forward a few years, and the Jeep became quite an on-again, off-again effect... But everything else about the finale was the same except due to political correctness issues after 9/11, the warden at the end had their gun removed, and they held the poachers at... radio-point. (They held a radio in their hand instead of the gun.) But still told everyone "Little Red is O-KAY!"

Fast forward to the current scene, the defunct Jeep effect has been given up on a few years ago now. Also, (probably a result of budget cuts during the tough times for the Orlando tourism industry post-9/11) the live warden position was removed from the finale and simply never brought back. The safari driver is now the one who points out to the guests that Little Red is safe in the back of the truck.

corrwill

Yeah I don't remember hearing anything about a dead Big Red either. I was however on the ride when one of the giraffes was struck by lightning and was unfortunately killed. The animal was on the ground but they did have a car and cast member in-front of it. I know Disney gets those animals inside ASAP with lightning around, but freak things can happen. It was just sad. Yeah I was thinking a timon and pumbaa addition would be neat...something along the lines of how they add the nemo characters to the real fish at epcot...that would be fun.

Liverstealer

Miss Jobson got her pink slip and is looking to be a waitress at the new Yak and Yeti. Wilson decided to trade in his plane and is looking to buy a liquid propane powered jeep to tool around in. In the 9 years that Big Red has lived at the Harambe Wildlife Reserve, she probably has had more babies than just Little Red. Wilson is good at protecting the animals from poachers, but he can't always catch them......

Liverstealer out

PigletIsMyCat

I think the poaching story is integral to the ride. If you truly were on a three week safari, as we are being asked to believe, there is a high possibility of coming across poachers in Africa. Also, remember that Animal Kingdom is a working wildlife conservation park, with the same merits and programs as the Bronx Zoo, and by keeping the poaching line in, it alerts people to the mistreatment of wild animals, up to and including the killing of them for their skins or tusks.

Jerm

I visited the park before opening, and in fact did KS on the second day it was open. Big Red did not die.

Does anyone have a photo of this dead "Big Red" elephant? I'm interested to see it (if it even existed). I heard that it was only around during the preview days of Animal Kingdom.

I kind of like the storyline... it makes you feel like you actually accomplished something. I hope they at least keep cute Little Red. :(

-Skip

I rode KS over a month before the park opened and Big Red didn't die. I think her death is an urban legend... *calls the Myth Busters*

I knew sooner or later it would become a urban legend. But from ealry reports from WDI people it was there. But I have never seen any pictures of it either. I am going to see if I can track down more into on it also.

J

fillerup

Comment from a KS driver in the last few days.

We rode one of the last trucks of the day, so less than half full.

Driver had asked where everyone was from so the CM knew we were locals. Then he/she heard us narrate along with Warden Wilson - "They are tommies - Tommmmmieees.....".

Then he/she said - "Come back after June 1st, and you won't know a single line of the script."

Apparently regretted saying anything like that, and said - "Let's let that be between us".

My wife asked after unloading if KS would keep the music and the CM said they had been told the rework was done - but didn't know any details - training hadn't started.

Yes, I know, it's a CM, but it was interesting enough.

And BTW - the jeep worked a couple of times as recently as last fall.

MythBuster

Does anyone have a picture of Big Red dead? I cannot find one anywhere on google. I did read that the carcass was pulled before AK previews were over. Someone must have snapped a photo of it.

I have a photo of it somewhere along with the warden with the rifle and the half eaten zebra. For a long time they were covered with a tarp near the Train maintenance bldg.

hrcollectibles

The Jeep hasn't worked in years...

BUT- the poachers still do shoot at you (sound effects) as you enter the geysers, though.

Back in the day there was a jeep that drove around between the trees on a track alongside you through the geyser area (where you still hear the gunshots today.)

At the very last part of the poachers scene, you came upon Wilson's (expertly landed) plane, the poacher's Jeep, and the Reserve Warden Truck where Little Red is safe in the back of... And standing in the middle of it all was a (live person playing) warden who held the poachers at gun point and interacted with the driver telling everyone that "Little Red is O-KAY!"

Fast forward a few years, and the Jeep became quite an on-again, off-again effect... But everything else about the finale was the same except due to political correctness issues after 9/11, the warden at the end had their gun removed, and they held the poachers at... radio-point. (They held a radio in their hand instead of the gun.) But still told everyone "Little Red is O-KAY!"

Fast forward to the current scene, the defunct Jeep effect has been given up on a few years ago now. Also, (probably a result of budget cuts during the tough times for the Orlando tourism industry post-9/11) the live warden position was removed from the finale and simply never brought back. The safari driver is now the one who points out to the guests that Little Red is safe in the back of the truck.

so they gave it the ET Anniversary treatment....lol :drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom