Safari or not to Safari

memobrien

So I am wondering if anyone has personal experience with the Sunrise Sarfari. First I’m wondering if this would be a good thing for my DD who will have just turned 5 at the time of the trip. She loves animals, so I thought it would appeal to her. I just wasn’t sure. Also, This is going to be a weird question…but I am wondering about the logistics of it. How do you get from AKL to the park. Also, is it like they take you to the front of the park and then walk trough to the Sarfari ride. Or is it different. Do you really get closer to the animals?

Any details you have will be great. I’m planning our trip and I want to make sure we have fun (not that it is a difficult thing in Disney). But I don’t want to OVERPLAN the activities. I think I could be asking for trouble from the 5 year old on that one. So I’m trying to balance, the parks and some play time at the resorts and such. Heck whatever we don’t get to is just an excuse to come back real soon!!!

Maura

rileyspaw

I've never been on the SUNRISE SAFARI but from what I read because it's earlier in the day the animals are more active and the DISNEY CM driving the safari truck will actually stop the truck for better photo opportunities.

We stayed at AKL and there was bus service to AK but I don't know about that early in the morning.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Since it is a special opportunity for concierge guest only, they transport you to the AK for this tour.

Quoted from allearsnet...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sunrise Safari Breakfast Adventure is available only to concierge guests on Sundays and Thursdays. You meet in the concierge lounge at 6:30 a.m., then departure from the lodge to Animal Kingdom is at 7:30 a.m. The tour, along the Kilimanjaro Safari ride path in Animal Kingdom, lasts about 45 minutes and includes multiple stops so that you can stand up and take pictures. Each of the animals along the way is described in great detail, since there is plenty of time.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After the Safari, you go to the Tusker House for a breakfast buffet, which includes both standard American and African items. Each person also gets a FastPass to Kilimanjaro Safari to experience it "the regular way".[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hours: Sundays and Thursdays, starting at 6:30 a.m.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cost: Adults is $55.00 and for children (3-9) it is $27.50. NOTE: Park admission NOT included. A credit card is required at the time of booking to guarantee the reservation (this number will be used as a guarantee only, as the safari is charged to your room the day of the event).

Reservations: This event can only be booked by contacting the Animal Kingdom Lodge Itinerary Planning Office. Note that there is a 48-hour cancellation policy. The safari can be booked 180 days out from the day of the event.
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

Vernonpush

When we went on the Safari in 2005 we had a great time. Everyone meets in the Concierge Lounge (you must be staying in a Concierge Room) at the AKL in the morning (early!). You are loaded into busses that take you into the Park through the backstage areas. From where you are dropped off it is a short walk to the Safari entrance (crossing over the tracks for the Wildlife Express Train). The actual tour is much slower than the actual ride and you stop alot during the tour. Each tour has a wildlife expert who talks in depth about the animals. The animals are also very active (it's their breakfast time too). We took hundreds of photos during the tour. We had a giraffe standing about 10 feet from the tram eating (lots of great photos of her). After the tour is over, everyone goes for a fantastic breakfast buffet (we had ours at Tusker House- I'm not sure what they will do when the TH is closed for rennovations). Everyone is also given a Fastpass to experience the ride in it's "usual" way.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have been trying to find a way to do the Sunrise Safari for about 3 years now, so without question I would do it. I can honestly say that I have never heard a single negative thing about it aside from having to get up quite early for most people. As stated before transportation is provided.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Both morning and evening expeditions are very nice experiences. Evenings are more pricy and definitely geared to adults (includes dinner). The breakfast excursion is very nice in that it is like a private safari, with plenty of time to get to see the animals, and allowing detours for best views. As to whether this difference is significant for a 5 year old over the regular safari is for you to decide, but IMHO is a must for adults who have the opportunity.

Upvote 0

memobrien

Original Poster
Yeah the getting up early i'm fine with. My DD is usually up between 5:30 and 6. So getting her going won't be an issue. Especially if she is goig to see animals. She LOVES animals and has been saying she wants to be an Animal Doctor since she was 2. (Ironically that started on her first Disney Trip....hmmmm interesting)

I'm glad to know that you don't have to worry about the transportation too.

I was a little concern about how much walking might be involved. Just because I think there will be an adult in our group who is able to walk distances but needs to go a her own pace. I just don't want to be in a situation where anyone feels like they are holding up a group or something. You know what I mean?

maura

Upvote 0

memobrien

Original Poster
ok, so i think i will book it for my DD and myself. I have a question.... we have to be in conceirge to book it. Which is fine. But my parents are thinking that they would like to come with us. Do they need to be conceirge too. or can I book it for the 4 of us?

Maura

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom