Sad News for Mission: Space

magicimaginear

Original Poster
Letter from Al to all Disney Cast Members

Today I'm making three very exciting announcements to the media that I'd like to share with you.

The first is that we'll open an amazing new family thrill ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2006. Called Expedition EVEREST: The Legend of the Forbidden Mountain, this attraction will take guests on a high-speed train adventure through the Himalayas. Surprises will include a mysterious mythical creature and the tallest drop on Walt Disney World property. You can get details in Eyes & Ears on the portal, but I want to tell you why I'm so excited about this new ride.

Expedition EVEREST will add a new dimension to Disney's Animal Kingdom and broaden its offerings, while staying true to the park's unique brand. You may remember that the original vision for this park was to showcase animals past, present and mythical. We've achieved the first two, and this attraction will help us achieve the third by introducing a creature called a yeti - also known as the abominable snowman.

Our guests have told us they want more rides at this park, so Expedition EVEREST will complete the great experience and give guests an even more compelling reason to visit time and again. It should be a huge hit, doing for Disney's Animal Kingdom what Sunset Boulevard and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror have done for the Disney-MGM Studios. I even expect that the mountain, taking up an acre and reaching to nearly 200 feet, will become a new park icon.

The second announcement is the opening date for the first phase of Disney's Pop Century Resort: Dec. 14, 2003 - in time for our busy holiday season. We're taking reservations for this value resort now, and we anticipate great success with it like we've had with Disney's All-Star Resorts. This phase will have 2,880 rooms and will be themed with icons from the 1950s-90s.

Finally, I'm excited to share our opening dates for Mission:SPACE at Epcot. We'll have a soft opening starting Aug. 15, 2003, and we'll host our grand opening in October. I've already ridden this remarkable attraction, and it will undoubtedly be one of the best theme park rides in the world.

I'm thrilled with all our new projects, but I also know that the real magic comes from you, our Cast. For more than 30 years, you've been our number-one topic of guest compliments and the reason that our guest service is world-famous. Thank you for your extraordinary contributions to our success. Keep up the great work!

Al Weiss
President
Walt Disney World

Main Street USA

I'm assuming he means where it say SOFT openings begin on the 15th of August, not a full opening. I find it pretty hard to believe, though, considering all of the press releases state that Mission: Space will OPEN on August 15th.

magicimaginear

Original Poster
LOL I was meaning to say that the sad news was that the soft opening would start on August 15th and not over the summer like we (everyone) was hoping for :( the press made a mistake. the letter from Al came hot off the cast portal. But as always keep ur fingers crossed

Irrawaddy Erik

Originally posted by magicimaginear
rides in the world.

I'm thrilled with all our new projects, but I also know that the real magic comes from you, our Cast. For more than 30 years, you've been our number-one topic of guest complants and the reason that our guest service is world-famous.
FOUND IT MUHAHAHAHAHAHA:lol: :D :rolleyes:

CTXRover

Today's announcements were very exciting. However, I suppose it is possible the media took things out of context when M:S would be opening. I would like to know what was said at the press conference when this was announced. Does anyone know what was exactly said to the press? I too would not think Disney would announce to the press a soft opening date.

I for one really hope it soft opens before Aug.15 (maybe just a pre-soft open :) ) since I just made plans last week to visit WDW Aug 2nd to Aug.9th. One week before Aug. 15th. I also hope it opens earlier in the summer for everyone going before that. Now we are back to guessing. Arrrggh! :lol:

Testtrack321

This is a hoax guys. Sorry. MS will officialy open on Aug 15th. It's said that on the Travel Agent's site since today. This is a hoax guys, not started by the thread starter, but by someone else.

CTXRover

Originally posted by Testtrack321
This is a hoax guys. Sorry. MS will officialy open on Aug 15th. It's said that on the Travel Agent's site since today. This is a hoax guys, not started by the thread starter, but by someone else.

Oh, how I hope you are right. Thanks for the heads up!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by Testtrack321
How can that be Steve if Disney publication lists the opening, OFFICAL, at Aug 15th?

I know what you mean, its the first time I have ever seen them do this. But they are announcing an Official Preview date of August, and a full official opening of October.

magicimaginear

Original Poster
Thank You Steve for reconfirming what I was saying. Like I said it is sad news for those of us that were really happy about a pre- July 4th opening but cast members can still look forward to the cast preview which may be in the May 1st hard copy of eyes and ears

Testtrack321

Originally posted by wdwmagic
I know what you mean, its the first time I have ever seen them do this. But they are announcing an Official Preview date of August, and a full official opening of October.

If they do this I'm going to be ed (sorry for the language). Frankly, I'm going in July and I'm hoping for this ride to be open as soft openings or official.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom