Running shoes?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
The most important part. The disclaimers that diets and exercise programs give about consulting a professional before starting is there for a reason. Gradually easing into any change in routine is key, and knowing what you are getting into.
With that, I still think there are body types that cant wear these shoes and visa versa.

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
Wow! Thanks so much for all of the extremely quick and informative responses! There are so many knowledgeable people on these boards, and not only pertaining to Disney! So, yes, it does seem to be the consensus to approach barefoot or minimalist running cautiously and gradually, and I plan to make that a long-term idea, but not so much of a goal right now. I actually spontaneously decided to run barefoot on the treadmill last night, which rendered my soles black and blistered. Ouch. Will not be doing that again.

I will make a list of all of the recommendations mentioned here. I'm currently running in Nikes (not sure of the model) that are probably over 4 years old. I will search for and visit a clinic in the new year for fitting. I will keep the the half-size larger fit in mind. (I would think that might cause the toes to slam against the front of the shoe because of all of the extra room, though.)

Whew! Who knew running could get this serious? Onward and upward to making my dream come true! Thanks again and Happy Holidays, all!

joel_maxwell

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the extremely quick and informative responses! There are so many knowledgeable people on these boards, and not only pertaining to Disney! So, yes, it does seem to be the consensus to approach barefoot or minimalist running cautiously and gradually, and I plan to make that a long-term idea, but not so much of a goal right now. I actually spontaneously decided to run barefoot on the treadmill last night, which rendered my soles black and blistered. Ouch. Will not be doing that again.

I will make a list of all of the recommendations mentioned here. I'm currently running in Nikes (not sure of the model) that are probably over 4 years old. I will search for and visit a clinic in the new year for fitting. I will keep the the half-size larger fit in mind. (I would think that might cause the toes to slam against the front of the shoe because of all of the extra room, though.)

Whew! Who knew running could get this serious? Onward and upward to making my dream come true! Thanks again and Happy Holidays, all!
Glad that the posts helped answer your questions. Yes, my wife joked at one time and said, "It all started with you wanting to complete a 10K in your old New Balance". Obsession for a goal led to passion. The rest is history.

imagination30

i agree with Joel , i started runing in the summer , talked in to it by a friend and have been hooked ever since ran my frist race in july and now the rest is history!.. and will be runing a half marthon in april!.. , and oh be careful with the shoes bc like you said the slaming againest the eage could create a problem with toenails , just ask a few people around here! haha! , me included im just now losing my damaged toenails .. and thats ben over 6 months ago!

lukacseven

Try wearing thin socks and running on the treadmill? Like everyone said start slow and with low mileage and really ease into it, especially if you're a heel striker. I've taken Christopher McDougall's (Born to Run) clinics on barefoot running and contrary to popular belief, your feet should get softer, not hard and calloused. Having taken many different classes and doing research on running, I like to tell people that I don't necessarily promote or suggest barefoot or even minimalist running, but rather natural form running. I also don't like to say any one shoe is better than another or "you should buy Nike 'cause that's what I wear." I do tell people to check out Newton - I believe they will be at the expo. I've been running exclusively in their shoes for several years without any injuries, blisters, black toenails, etc. (knock on wood). There is a period of adjustment needed for the shoes, but they do have different models, some geared for transitioning runners.

joel_maxwell

Try wearing thin socks and running on the treadmill? Like everyone said start slow and with low mileage and really ease into it, especially if you're a heel striker. I've taken Christopher McDougall's (Born to Run) clinics on barefoot running and contrary to popular belief, your feet should get softer, not hard and calloused. Having taken many different classes and doing research on running, I like to tell people that I don't necessarily promote or suggest barefoot or even minimalist running, but rather natural form running. I also don't like to say any one shoe is better than another or "you should buy Nike 'cause that's what I wear." I do tell people to check out Newton - I believe they will be at the expo. I've been running exclusively in their shoes for several years without any injuries, blisters, black toenails, etc. (knock on wood). There is a period of adjustment needed for the shoes, but they do have different models, some geared for transitioning runners.
Wow. That is interesting. I guess I need to correct my thinking on that.

I 100% agree that there are all kinds of shoes, for all kinds of people. I think in a perfect world, we wouldnt have to take a risk that costs $100 or more to find out. I think any shoe feels good in the store, but the true test is what it feels like after 100 miles.

Lisatn

I'm a vibram wearer and have been for almost three years now. I transitioned very slowly; just wearing them walking and during short runs for the first six or so months then exclusively after. I've run marathons and trained for Ironman in them and wouldn't go back to wearing 'regular' running shoes. As part of the transition I attended running talks that specialized in barefoot running and as a result discovered why I disliked running so much. Up to this point I would get headaches whenever I ran. By changing the way my foot struck the ground the headaches went away. Wearing regular running shoes never eased the pain in my head. It wasn't the vibrams that cured the pain but my new awareness of the way I run.
If you do decide to transition take it slow. The slower the transition the more successful it will be.

JillC LI

I will keep the the half-size larger fit in mind. (I would think that might cause the toes to slam against the front of the shoe because of all of the extra room, though.)

Exactly the opposite actually. If you do NOT have extra room, then your toes slam against the front of the shoe when you run which can lead to black toe nails. I have a phobia about that which is why, not only do I step it up half a size, I step it up a full size and wear cushioned running socks.

joel_maxwell

Exactly the opposite actually. If you do NOT have extra room, then your toes slam against the front of the shoe when you run which can lead to black toe nails. I have a phobia about that which is why, not only do I step it up half a size, I step it up a full size and wear cushioned running socks.
Luckily, Ive never had a black toe nail. @Donald Duck takes up the slack for me.

joel_maxwell

Lol. I'm a size 8, but I wear 10 in Hokas to compensate for swelling in 100 milers and the pounding my feet take on a daily basis.
I have been extremely fortunate to not get any missing toenails, athletes foot rot, major blisters etc. (minus the recent blister which was due to old socks)
Not for long once he gets rid of them for good! ;)
G.R.O.S.S.

Mr mom

I've lost a few toenails but none in the last year or so, I have also sized up to prevent but only by the half

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
So I finally visited a running shoe store last month and tried a few different shoes. The people were patient; my feet were scanned (completely flat and oddly-shaped) and my gait watched. The associate answered all my questions in detail. He stated that my decision ultimately amounted to the feel (New Balance, Brooks, Newtons). I learned a lot and ultimately sprang for the Newton Motion! It felt exciting but I still haven't donned them. That chunk at the ball of the sole DEFINITELY regulates your stride angle and the sides keep your pronation in check. It almost felt baby-proofed! I need to get out to use them one of these days. I'm starting over since I haven't run in over a month! Hope this photo pastes:

Texas84

They don't look like real running shoes, but check out the new NASCAR shoes from New Balance on their web site.

joel_maxwell

I currently have 670 miles on my Hoka One One Bondi B's. The tread is still good and they feel bouncy still. I think ill get 1000 out of them and then use them for muddy/rainy days.

So worth the $170 price tag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom