runDisney Virtual Running Events

Wolf43

I did the Mad Tea Party yesterday. It was definitely not my best time as I haven't done any training since the stay at orders started. But my cousin and her stepdad are also doing the challenge, and he wanted to do the first race yesterday. There was no way I could not say no to an 88 year old gentleman. We each did the race at the same time but separately in our respective home states. Great fun! Of course, my legs are saying something different today. lol

Surferboy567

Was thinking about doing the virtual Star Wars half marathon when that goes up..but their is no way I could run that all the way though. I would have to split it up...not sure if it’s worth doing if I don’t do it all in one workout. Very happy with the current theme and medals though.

dreamfinder

Shocked they limited the registration. Totally spaced on the registration, and I actually might have due to the medals/theme. Being sold out solved that problem for me. Easy cash for them when runDisney doesn't have many other money makers on the books right now.

Surferboy567

Shocked they limited the registration. Totally spaced on the registration, and I actually might have due to the medals/theme. Being sold out solved that problem for me. Easy cash for them when runDisney doesn't have many other money makers on the books right now.

They can only offer as many medals as they have produced. It’s not like they can just be like we want more medals. They have what they produced. Especially now during a pandemic.

Theme also has something to do with it.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
They can only offer as many medals as they have produced. It’s not like they can just be like we want more medals. They have what they produced. Especially now during a pandemic.

I agree with @dreamfinder, they have missed the mark on what could be a small revenue generator at a time that there is very little being generated. The medals won’t be sent out for months, so production shouldn’t be much of an issue - once the molds are made, additional copies could be ordered. It’s not like a physical race that has other limitations (space, volunteers infrastructure).

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I agree with @dreamfinder, they have missed the mark on what could be a small revenue generator at a time that there is very little being generated. The medals won’t be sent out for months, so production shouldn’t be much of an issue - once the molds are made, additional copies could be ordered. It’s not like a physical race that has other limitations (space, volunteers infrastructure).
I agree with this, the one non-Disney virtual I signed up for ended up doing two extra orders and are just sending them in waves based on estimated time they expect to receive the new orders. The third wave on that one is still estimated to get medals by late-June I think, so there are at least some companies still in production out there (I’m guessing China).

With five months before they’ll send any of these out, they could easily get a couple more presses done before then or, if not, just give purchasers a warning that the second wave of registrants could encounter an additional delay in receiving their medals .

dreamfinder

As @Swissmiss said, it's easy enough for them to do another run of medals. Alot of the virtual runs I know take the opposite approach. They open registration, keep it open for a set time period, and then how ever many people register, that's how many medals they have made. And some, would do a yearly "completer" type event, where you could get a challenge medal if you did all the events in a year, and would re-open registration for the events that had closed to let people get the completer. Especially when you are trying to raise money for charity, when you have something where the additional participants increase your overhead by next to nothing (just the credit card processing costs which in this case, the runners are paying) why cap it?

And if I recall correctly, they haven't exactly been prompt with sending things out in the past. So delaying some of the shipments by a few weeks isn't the end of the world.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
How long does it typically take for you to complete a 5K?

What about the challenge?

(by you I mean everyone who answers this)
I’ve been ranging between 26:30-29:30 lately (down 8-10 min from when I started last year). Went ahead and did all three of the challenge in the first few days because I’m impatient and wanted to take care of updating my total on the ‘how many miles’ thread 😁

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom