runDisney Star Wars Events

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Cool, I just contacted runDisney to see if they will follow though what they said to me. Will keep everyone posted! Just wanted to make sure it didn’t overwrite the original Virtual.

No. You'll see the on-property registrations AND the new virtual ones. Only way to tell which is which is the virtual races reflect which option you chose.

If you requested a full refund, as I did for the Princess races, those will include a "registration was cancelled on (date)" note.... eventually.

Surferboy567

No. You'll see the on-property registrations AND the new virtual ones. Only way to tell which is which is the virtual races reflect which option you chose.

If you requested a full refund, as I did for the Princess races, those will include a "registration was cancelled on (date)" note.... eventually.
See, the reason why I ask is because my registration in question is the original virtual half marathon. I never got an option to refund, keep virtual etc. I simply wanted to “upgrade” my preexisting virtual half (the virtual one before COVID) to a kessel. runDisney asked for my details. Also told me to register for the kessel on it’s own and then they will refund the difference.

RememberWhen

Registered the kiddos for the dash races. They’re pumped. Star Wars appeals more to DS8 than the Moana medal he’s getting in February, though he’s excited about the chip and dale medal in January. I do wish they would go ahead and ship them so they arrive shortly before or shortly after the races. My sister in CA is still waiting on her wine and dine box...

LAKid53

Premium Member
Registered the kiddos for the dash races. They’re pumped. Star Wars appeals more to DS8 than the Moana medal he’s getting in February, though he’s excited about the chip and dale medal in January. I do wish they would go ahead and ship them so they arrive shortly before or shortly after the races. My sister in CA is still waiting on her wine and dine box...

Mine is somewhere in the bowels of UPS....

Surferboy567

One other interesting detail I wanted to add...at least for me when you go to the Kessel Challenge on your registration. It says you can’t submit results till March 15th. Wonder if they will open that early so we can submit our virtual half times (the virtual half that ties into the kessel). Or maybe they are expecting us to do it closer to the event.

LAKid53

Premium Member
One other interesting detail I wanted to add...at least for me when you go to the Kessel Challenge on your registration. It says you can’t submit results till March 15th. Wonder if they will open that early so we can submit our virtual half times (the virtual half that ties into the kessel). Or maybe they are expecting us to do it closer to the event.

Interesting. Because you have 3 months - January to end of March - to complete. At least that's the way it was in years past.

Surferboy567

Interesting. Because you have 3 months - January to end of March - to complete. At least that's the way it was in years past.
Yeah, I found that date to be strange. Since I am doing Fairytale challenge and two weeks before according to the training plan it has a 14 mile “long run”. I planned on doing my virtual half then, since I am already going to be doing the miles why not?

I also checked the 5K registration and that March 15th date is still there. So, it’s not just for the Kessel.

Last edited:

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Hypothesizing - we had to make our refund selections by 12/18 - refunds take 6-8 weeks which would be 1/29-2/12. Any bets on the date we'll get refunded?

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Hypothesizing - we had to make our refund selections by 12/18 - refunds take 6-8 weeks which would be 1/29-2/12. Any bets on the date we'll get refunded?
I think they were a little less for the 2020 cancellation, but I could be remembering wrong. I’ll take 2/10 😁.

I ended up transferring the 5k to the medal only and refunding the Kessell/Rival Run Challenge and resigned up for the medals only Kessell/Rival Run using my Disney Gift Cards from the last round of cancellations. Also just cancelled my marathon weekend hotel reservations, so looking forward to some credits coming to my card sometime soon!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think they were a little less for the 2020 cancellation, but I could be remembering wrong. I’ll take 2/10 😁.

I ended up transferring the 5k to the medal only and refunding the Kessell/Rival Run Challenge and resigned up for the medals only Kessell/Rival Run using my Disney Gift Cards from the last round of cancellations. Also just cancelled my marathon weekend hotel reservations, so looking forward to some credits coming to my card sometime soon!

Same here, but I went with the shirts & medals options.

Finally got my W&D medals...yesterday. Really like the Challenge with the 5 year running on it. Didn't realize the Half was a spinner. Really like the 2020 shirts...unfortunate the race was virtual. ☹️

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Same here, but I went with the shirts & medals options.

Finally got my W&D medals...yesterday. Really like the Challenge with the 5 year running on it. Didn't realize the Half was a spinner. Really like the 2020 shirts...unfortunate the race was virtual. ☹️

here's to hoping wine/dine 21 will be the 1st in-person rD race. my gut is telling me Marathon 2022 however.

OG Runner

I will try to stop commenting, but I really don't like the virtual races. You pay the race organizers to run around your neighborhood and have them send you a t-shirt & medal. I have run and completed the Disney Marathon three times. I still wear the shirts and have the medals hung on my wall. I ran but did not finish the 2020 Marathon. I found I could have gotten the medal. (because, as they put it, "you paid for it".) You earn the medal for a Disney race, by running a Disney race, not running around your neighborhood. That is how you train for a Disney race.

Surferboy567

I will try to stop commenting, but I really don't like the virtual races. You pay the race organizers to run around your neighborhood and have them send you a t-shirt & medal. I have run and completed the Disney Marathon three times. I still wear the shirts and have the medals hung on my wall. I ran but did not finish the 2020 Marathon. I found I could have gotten the medal. (because, as they put it, "you paid for it".) You earn the medal for a Disney race, by running a Disney race, not running around your neighborhood. That is how you train for a Disney race.
I understand this opinion, but if I did the running didn’t “cheat” in any way. Trained like everyone else, even followed the pacing requirements that runDisney uses I really don’t see any harm in this. Planning a trip to Disney isn’t always feasible for myself and probably others. Sure, their are people they don’t run at all but for those who do I don’t see a problem. It isn’t at Disney but we are doing the same amount of running and training you would do for a live race.

These virtual races in general are the only reasons I am running longer distances. I was running shorter distances prior to this never going past a 5K. Disney was the only theme that would of gotten me motivated had they not had gone virtual I would of never started running longer distances in the first place.

I am in no way saying that the virtual races are a substitute for live events but I don’t believe they are harmful in the slightest. If anything it is actually good for them since more people can participate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom