RunDisney Questions?

JimboJones123

Done 2 WDW halfs and 1 DL half.

Your training now should be good enough to finish a half right now.

If really worried, show up EARLY! Get to the start of your corral. Not the back. This will give you quite a few extra minutes of flex.

Enjoy the race. I tacked on an extra 15 minutes to my time, but got every picture I could.

pixeemom

Original Poster
Done 2 WDW halfs and 1 DL half.

Your training now should be good enough to finish a half right now.

If really worried, show up EARLY! Get to the start of your corral. Not the back. This will give you quite a few extra minutes of flex.

Enjoy the race. I tacked on an extra 15 minutes to my time, but got every picture I could.

awesome, thank you for the encouragement!! :wave:

Sorry to bring back an old thread but as the registration for TOT 10 miler opened up 2 days ago I think its ok lol

I was curious as to what the cost includes.

Looking over the website and posts this is what I've got so far:
characters on the race path (seems amazing)
time in the park after the race
running in the park!
party after

so my questions are:
Do you get a t-shirt or a goody bag of some kind when you pick up your race packet with you bib and number?
anyone know what the party will look like or have available?, and
will the park be all dressed up for Halloween yet?

Thanks for the help.. this is my first race at Disney!!!!

pixeemom

Original Poster
Sorry to bring back an old thread but as the registration for TOT 10 miler opened up 2 days ago I think its ok lol

running in the park!
party after

so my questions are:
Do you get a t-shirt or a goody bag of some kind when you pick up your race packet with you bib and number?

Did you reg. yet?
I am going to tomorrow, it will be my very first Disney race ever, and my very first "REAL" race to.
Unfort. I don't know the answers to your questions but will be watching out, hopefully someone can give us some more info :wave:

MKCP 1985

running in the park!
party after

so my questions are:

This will be a great first race. With your registration, you will get a shirt and a goody bag. The Hollywood Studios Park does not do a lot of Halloween Decorations, but Disney always has a lot of stuff to look at while you are running. Don't create a lot of expectations for the party itself - the greater benefit is that the park will be open after hours and you can enjoy the rides. There will likely be a DJ, and a board with finish times, but in past times, there hasn't been a whole lot of attention paid to that.

This race, when it was the Tower of Terror 13K did not get nearly as many participants as the more popular half marathon and marathon races, so it shouldn't be as crowded, although there will still be thousands of people participating. Good luck and have fun!

pixeemom

Original Poster
This will be a great first race. With your registration, you will get a shirt and a goody bag. The Hollywood Studios Park does not do a lot of Halloween Decorations, but Disney always has a lot of stuff to look at while you are running. Don't create a lot of expectations for the party itself - the greater benefit is that the park will be open after hours and you can enjoy the rides. There will likely be a DJ, and a board with finish times, but in past times, there hasn't been a whole lot of attention paid to that.

This race, when it was the Tower of Terror 13K did not get nearly as many participants as the more popular half marathon and marathon races, so it shouldn't be as crowded, although there will still be thousands of people participating. Good luck and have fun!

awesome thank you for the info!!!
:sohappy:

surfsupdon

The HUGE perk is that the After Party at MGM goes till 3am and there will be very little to nonexistant waits for most every ride there!! It's amazing to ride till your hearts content. For example, for the older ToT13K races, I have a picture of my family on the Tower all by ourselves, for all 3 years, medals flying up in the air!!

Additionally, theme park tickets are heavily discounted. You'll get a password and phone number to call to buy your cheap tickets after you register.

If you can afford it, try for Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk...or Swan/Dolphin. It's a nice walk back after the race to serve as a cool down and to keep your legs loose. Swan/Dolphin can have some pretty steep discounts.

pixeemom

Original Poster
The HUGE perk is that the After Party at MGM goes till 3am and there will be very little to nonexistant waits for most every ride there!! It's amazing to ride till your hearts content. For example, for the older ToT13K races, I have a picture of my family on the Tower all by ourselves, for all 3 years, medals flying up in the air!!

Additionally, theme park tickets are heavily discounted. You'll get a password and phone number to call to buy your cheap tickets after you register.

If you can afford it, try for Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk...or Swan/Dolphin. It's a nice walk back after the race to serve as a cool down and to keep your legs loose. Swan/Dolphin can have some pretty steep discounts.

are those hotels part of the "host" resorts?

dreamfinder

are those hotels part of the "host" resorts?

The main benefit to a "host" resort, is that they will have transportation to/from that hotel to the expo and the race start/finish. Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach are host resorts. So if you stay there, then you are all set. However, if you choose to stay at Swan/Dolphin, you can easily walk to the pick up areas at Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach. And if you want, walk to/from the race since it starts/finishes at DHS.

pixeemom

Original Poster
The main benefit to a "host" resort, is that they will have transportation to/from that hotel to the expo and the race start/finish. Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach are host resorts. So if you stay there, then you are all set. However, if you choose to stay at Swan/Dolphin, you can easily walk to the pick up areas at Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach. And if you want, walk to/from the race since it starts/finishes at DHS.

awesome GTK
me and my friend decided to wait till before the march deadline to reg.
i'm a little nervous to wait but i will be keeping an eye out to watch for how fast it is filling up.
the other thing that worries me is rooms? i don't want to get locked out:eek:

Hannah1284

We're reserved at a non-host resort since both the port orleans are filled right now for ddp. When I spoke with the agent on the phone they assured me that I would be able to get transportation back to my hotel, no matter where I stayed...even non-host resorts. From reading these posts (and others), I'm seeing something different.

Thoughts? Should I trust the agent? Or, should I keep and eye out and try to switch to a host resort?

pixeemom

Original Poster
We're reserved at a non-host resort since both the port orleans are filled right now for ddp. When I spoke with the agent on the phone they assured me that I would be able to get transportation back to my hotel, no matter where I stayed...even non-host resorts. From reading these posts (and others), I'm seeing something different.

Thoughts? Should I trust the agent? Or, should I keep and eye out and try to switch to a host resort?

This is my first race ever so I am not sure how it works but from what i heard you can get transportation but i don't think it will take you to the start of the race, someone here might correct me if i am wrong.
What agent did you use?

dreamfinder

Pre race, not gonna happen. The starts aren't typically at normal bus drop off locations, nor are they when the WDW buses are running. The earliest I have seen a WDW bus up and about is 6:30, and most of the races need you at the start area by about 4:30.
Post race, It depends on what race you are doing. If it is one of the normal half marathons/marathon, at the worst you can typically walk over to the Epcot bus stops and wait for the buses to start rolling.
But if it is one of the races that takes place at night, its much harder as most WDW resort transportation will have stopped by the time runners are finishing. There is a slight change the transportation coordinator will take pity on you, but as the buses are normally not WDW buses but charter buses from MEARS and the like, they only do their assigned route, and probably won't even be able to get in the gates of the other resorts.
Or if its a 5k, those you can do the walk/wait deal, but odds are it would be a much longer wait since those tend to finish a fair bit before the parks open.

If the agent you spoke with was with the regular CRO, and not RunDisney, I would not trust them. And even if it was a RunDisney CM, I would call back and double check. At over a dozen WDW races, the only time I saw buses waiting for non host resorts was the first ToT race, and that was a total cluster as far as transportation goes. That went from "No transit period" the week before to "Buses will bring you to DtD afterwards" at check in to "What resort are you going to? Get on that bus with 6 other resorts" after the race. But every other race I have done has signs posted just for the host resorts. Anything else needs to take a cab/rent a car.

Hannah1284

Pre race, not gonna happen. The starts aren't typically at normal bus drop off locations, nor are they when the WDW buses are running. The earliest I have seen a WDW bus up and about is 6:30, and most of the races need you at the start area by about 4:30.
Post race, It depends on what race you are doing. If it is one of the normal half marathons/marathon, at the worst you can typically walk over to the Epcot bus stops and wait for the buses to start rolling.
But if it is one of the races that takes place at night, its much harder as most WDW resort transportation will have stopped by the time runners are finishing. There is a slight change the transportation coordinator will take pity on you, but as the buses are normally not WDW buses but charter buses from MEARS and the like, they only do their assigned route, and probably won't even be able to get in the gates of the other resorts.
Or if its a 5k, those you can do the walk/wait deal, but odds are it would be a much longer wait since those tend to finish a fair bit before the parks open.

If the agent you spoke with was with the regular CRO, and not RunDisney, I would not trust them. And even if it was a RunDisney CM, I would call back and double check. At over a dozen WDW races, the only time I saw buses waiting for non host resorts was the first ToT race, and that was a total cluster as far as transportation goes. That went from "No transit period" the week before to "Buses will bring you to DtD afterwards" at check in to "What resort are you going to? Get on that bus with 6 other resorts" after the race. But every other race I have done has signs posted just for the host resorts. Anything else needs to take a cab/rent a car.

It was the regular resort reservations, not rundisney. I asked 3x and he assured me that they bulk up transportation whenever there are events. I even specially questioned coming home at 3am and he said yes, there will be transportation. so??? i duno. I'm hoping something opens at Port Orleans for DDP

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
We stayed at a non-host resort last year for the Everest Challenge. It was a huge pain getting back to our hotel. We took a bus to Pop Century, then a bus from PC to Downtown Disney, then connected to our hotel. When we hit downtown Disney, our bus driver figured we weren't going to be ending there, so he was nice enough to just bring us to our resort.

I'd switch to a host resort. I'd never go non-host again.

dreamfinder

It was the regular resort reservations, not rundisney. I asked 3x and he assured me that they bulk up transportation whenever there are events. I even specially questioned coming home at 3am and he said yes, there will be transportation. so??? i duno. I'm hoping something opens at Port Orleans for DDP

I'm assuming you are trying to use the free dining? As you can get the dining plan at any resort. If nothing opens up, have the MEARS cab number in your cell phone. Your only other option will be the transfer that Fievel mentioned, but at 3am I don't know if the DTD buses will still be running.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
The regular Disney transportation is not running before early morning events, and after late night events. It's all outside bus companies. Your only other option would be a cab.

For the reservation service to tell you they "bulk up" on buses is probably a generic statement, not realizing the race weekends are an entirely different animal.

lukacseven

Are there "host resorts" for the January race weekend? I've been going down since 2006 and have stayed a a number of different resorts, but never heard of any referred to as host resorts. I've never run any of the the other races, but I've seen host resorts mentioned for those events.

There was always race transportation running to/from all resorts to ESPNWWOS and to the start/finish line in January.

dreamfinder

Are there "host resorts" for the January race weekend? I've been going down since 2006 and have stayed a a number of different resorts, but never heard of any referred to as host resorts. I've never run any of the the other races, but I've seen host resorts mentioned for those events.

There was always race transportation running to/from all resorts to ESPNWWOS and to the start/finish line in January.

For January, every resort is a host resort. The sheer number of runners makes it pretty much a necessity. Figure 12k for some of the other half marathons, 25k for each the half and full in January. January also gets pushed as more of a destination run while the others seem to be more regional/local runs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom