RunDisney Questions?

pixeemom

Original Poster
Hi....sorry for being MIA for a while....life was getting in the way of my Disney obsession

I am interested in knowing if anyone has ever done a marathon @ Disney?
I just recently started training, I started out walking in October, now I am up to running 5.5 miles...I just did my first 5 mile New Years Day fun run....i am debating if I want to do the Long Island Marathon (its the day after my sons communion) or The Diva Run in October with my friends.

I really have my heart set on doing the TOT 10miler in Sept.
So what I am looking for is, anyone who has done a DisneyRun....what info can you share with me....
For example where do you stay? do you get discounts? do you usually stay extra days before or after your trip? do you buy park tickets?

I heard the chars, are all around the parks.....do you stop to take pictures with them? how does that work?
If your running and want to walk can you do that?
Change of clothes? etc?
Any other info would be greatly appreciated

Phonedave

Hi....sorry for being MIA for a while....life was getting in the way of my Disney obsession

I just recently started training, I started out walking in October, now I am up to running 5.5 miles...I just did my first 5 mile New Years Day fun run....i am debating if I want to do the Long Island Marathon (its the day after my sons communion) or The Diva Run in October with my friends.

So what I am looking for is, anyone who has done a DisneyRun....what info can you share with me....
For example where do you stay? do you get discounts? do you usually stay extra days before or after your trip? do you buy park tickets?

I heard the chars, are all around the parks.....do you stop to take pictures with them? how does that work?
Change of clothes? etc?

Hi, quite a few people here (myself included) have run the WDW Marathon. Others have also run a number of other RunDisney Endurance events.

Disney will release a list of Host Resorts for the race. Those will have transportation to the race start and back. They fill up quickly, so book early. If you are at a different resort, then you have to figure out the logistics on your own. There are race pricing specials for people registered to run.

How long I stay depends on when the race is, and what other people are doing. I would not advocate flying back on the day of the race (I did that after running a 1/2 marathon in the Cayman Islands once, too rushed). Park tickets are usualy offered at a discount through the RunDisney website.

Characters are along the race course. If you want to stop and take pictures with them you are welcome to. There are CMs there that will use your camera. Many people run the RunDisney events for fun, not to try and PR. It is up to you if you want to stop and take pictures.

Sweep time for RunDisney races is VERY generous - usualy about a 16:00 / mile pace. That's fast walk. You can run, walk, crawl, hop, skip, or salsa - as long as you stay ahead of the sweepers.

The races have a bag drop service. You put your change of clothes in a bag (provided by WDW) and drop it at the start of the race. You then pick it up at the end. You can then change your clothes in a bathroom if so inclined.

-dave

pixeemom

Original Poster
Hi, quite a few people here (myself included) have run the WDW Marathon. Others have also run a number of other RunDisney Endurance events.

Disney will release a list of Host Resorts for the race. Those will have transportation to the race start and back. They fill up quickly, so book early. If you are at a different resort, then you have to figure out the logistics on your own. There are race pricing specials for people registered to run.

How long I stay depends on when the race is, and what other people are doing. I would not advocate flying back on the day of the race (I did that after running a 1/2 marathon in the Cayman Islands once, too rushed). Park tickets are usualy offered at a discount through the RunDisney website.

Characters are along the race course. If you want to stop and take pictures with them you are welcome to. There are CMs there that will use your camera. Many people run the RunDisney events for fun, not to try and PR. It is up to you if you want to stop and take pictures.

Sweep time for RunDisney races is VERY generous - usualy about a 16:00 / mile pace. That's fast walk. You can run, walk, crawl, hop, skip, or salsa - as long as you stay ahead of the sweepers.

The races have a bag drop service. You put your change of clothes in a bag (provided by WDW) and drop it at the start of the race. You then pick it up at the end. You can then change your clothes in a bathroom if so inclined.

-dave

DAVE YOU HAVE BEEN A TREMENDOUS HELP THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH.
Now lol what does the PR stand for in this sentence? "Many people run the RunDisney events for fun, not to try and PR. It is up to you if you want to stop and take pictures."

I am sure i know it but its escaping me.
And how do i find out about the special pricings etc.?
Because I just called Disney and a CM said NO, there are no specials.
And i know i've heard of some kind of specials.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

pixeemom

Original Poster
Opps 1 more request sorry!!!

Dave, or anyone who can answer....
Can you explain to me what the "sweepers" do....i know if you can't keep the pace they take you from the race, right?
but what exactly happens?
I am pretty sure I can do it, i'm doing 5 miles now in 56 mins. so that is 11 to 12 mins. per mile right?

Ariel484

Hi there! I did the Princess Half Marathon in 2011 and just did the 2012 Marathon on Sunday...I'll try to add to what Dave already said below.

Like Dave said, Disney will release a list of host resorts. During marathon weekend, ALL resorts are host resorts...this is not the case with other races. If you need race or expo transportation, make sure you stay at a host resort. For the 2011 Princess Half, I stayed at Port Orleans - Riverside, and for the marathon this year I rented points at Beach Club Villas. I remember calling a special number on the Princess Half page in 2011 (407-WDW-IRUN or something like that) to book a package and get discounted hotel/tickets for the Princess Half. Personally I think it's better to stay a few days after the trip rather than be in the parks for days before the trip - that way you're off your feet during the race and you don't have to worry about travel back right after. I can't imagine stuffing myself into a car/plane after a long race. :shrug:

YES. :D Bring a small camera with you! Most of the time the lines will have 2 character attendants...as one is taking the picture, the other will be getting the next camera ready. The lines move quickly.

As Dave said, you can run/walk however much you want as long as you keep your overall pace to 16 minutes/mile.

Change of clothes? etc?

Again, as Dave said, you can check at bag at the starting line. You'll get a clear plastic bag at the expo to bring with you, and you can pick it up after the race (no cell phones, car keys, wallets, etc.).

Be warned...these races are extremely addicting! :D

And PR means Personal Record. :wave:

Ariel484

Dave, or anyone who can answer....
Can you explain to me what the "sweepers" do....i know if you can't keep the pace they take you from the race, right?
but what exactly happens?
I am pretty sure I can do it, i'm doing 5 miles now in 56 mins. so that is 11 to 12 mins. per mile right?

Oops, didn't see this one!

After the marathon on Sunday I passed the sweepers (I was staying at the Beach Club, which is between miles 24 and 25...right at the end of the race). They are 4-5 guys on bikes that follow the last runners.

The sweeper clock starts when the very last runner crosses the start. If you're in danger of falling off pace, I think the sweepers will warn you that you need to make it to the next mile in XX time, otherwise you're put on a bus and transported to the finish line.

Just keep up with your training...I am sure you will be fine!

JillC LI

Change of clothes? etc?

Hi there fellow Long Islander! Everyone has given you great advice. I'll add what I can. I have run the NYC Marathon (not Disney), the LI Half Marathon, and the TOY race back when it was a 13K not a 10 miler (in 2009). I would strongly recommend AGAINST running the Long Island Marathon. The Half is fine, but the full is an awful, boring course, much of the second half along the Wantagh Parkway with no spectators or crowd support. It is definitely NOT the race to run for a first timer. The NYC Marathon had tons of crowd support, and from what I've learned from my friends on this forum, the Disney marathon has tons of fun stuff on the course to keep you going as well. I'd pick a bigger race than the LI Marathon as your first marathon. For the Half, it's fine, and I'm contemplating doing it myself this year. Not sure.

The TOT 13K was a lot of fun as a night-time race through Disney although there were some bottlenecks on the course for people at my pace (about 10:30 min/mile after a huge meal at Le Cellier! Delicious but I don't recommend that! LOL) I signed up for that race because it just happened to fall during a pre-planned trip to Disney. We were there several days before the race, and I flew home the next day (which wasn't easy because I didn't get to bed until 2am and had to be up for the flight at 5am). I stayed at a host resort to get free bussing to and from the race. Runners in that race get free entry to DHS after the race (and family members can purchase tickets to the post-race party).

pixeemom

Original Poster
Hi there! I did the Princess Half Marathon in 2011 and just did the 2012 Marathon on Sunday...I'll try to add to what Dave already said below.

Like Dave said, Disney will release a list of host resorts. During marathon weekend, ALL resorts are host resorts...this is not the case with other races. If you need race or expo transportation, make sure you stay at a host resort. For the 2011 Princess Half, I stayed at Port Orleans - Riverside, and for the marathon this year I rented points at Beach Club Villas. I remember calling a special number on the Princess Half page in 2011 (407-WDW-IRUN or something like that) to book a package and get discounted hotel/tickets for the Princess Half. Personally I think it's better to stay a few days after the trip rather than be in the parks for days before the trip - that way you're off your feet during the race and you don't have to worry about travel back right after. I can't imagine stuffing myself into a car/plane after a long race. :shrug:

YES. :D Bring a small camera with you! Most of the time the lines will have 2 character attendants...as one is taking the picture, the other will be getting the next camera ready. The lines move quickly.

As Dave said, you can run/walk however much you want as long as you keep your overall pace to 16 minutes/mile.

Again, as Dave said, you can check at bag at the starting line. You'll get a clear plastic bag at the expo to bring with you, and you can pick it up after the race (no cell phones, car keys, wallets, etc.).

Be warned...these races are extremely addicting! :D

And PR means Personal Record. :wave:

terrific!!!
thank you soooo much for adding more info, and letting me know what PR means, lol
If I really get to do this, i am on the fence about taking pictures, i never did a real timed race before so i want to see how I do and stopping for pics won't really give me my PR ;) so to speak.
If I get to do a timed race before this trip, i might consider stopping.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pixeemom

Original Poster
Oops, didn't see this one!

After the marathon on Sunday I passed the sweepers (I was staying at the Beach Club, which is between miles 24 and 25...right at the end of the race). They are 4-5 guys on bikes that follow the last runners.

The sweeper clock starts when the very last runner crosses the start. If you're in danger of falling off pace, I think the sweepers will warn you that you need to make it to the next mile in XX time, otherwise you're put on a bus and transported to the finish line.

Just keep up with your training...I am sure you will be fine!

wow, almost seems harsh :veryconfu but thank you for that info.
I like to be informed with as much info as i can find out there.
I am def. going to keep up with my training, I even joined a gym so that i can keep up the running on the treadmill in the winter months:sohappy:

pixeemom

Original Poster
Hi there fellow Long Islander! Everyone has given you great advice. I'll add what I can. I have run the NYC Marathon (not Disney), the LI Half Marathon, and the TOY race back when it was a 13K not a 10 miler (in 2009). I would strongly recommend AGAINST running the Long Island Marathon. The Half is fine, but the full is an awful, boring course, much of the second half along the Wantagh Parkway with no spectators or crowd support. It is definitely NOT the race to run for a first timer. The NYC Marathon had tons of crowd support, and from what I've learned from my friends on this forum, the Disney marathon has tons of fun stuff on the course to keep you going as well. I'd pick a bigger race than the LI Marathon as your first marathon. For the Half, it's fine, and I'm contemplating doing it myself this year. Not sure.

The TOT 13K was a lot of fun as a night-time race through Disney although there were some bottlenecks on the course for people at my pace (about 10:30 min/mile after a huge meal at Le Cellier! Delicious but I don't recommend that! LOL) I signed up for that race because it just happened to fall during a pre-planned trip to Disney. We were there several days before the race, and I flew home the next day (which wasn't easy because I didn't get to bed until 2am and had to be up for the flight at 5am). I stayed at a host resort to get free bussing to and from the race. Runners in that race get free entry to DHS after the race (and family members can purchase tickets to the post-race party).

Hiya fellow LI'er.....The only race I did so far was the New years day 5 mile fun run in Eisenhower Park, I'm def. not ready for a full marathon, and I am debating on the LI one, if I do it, i think I might stick with the 10K run or the half, depending on if i think I am ready for the 1/2....a couple of my friends already signed up for it.
Thank you very much for the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really want to try and give this a shot :)

Ariel484

terrific!!!
thank you soooo much for adding more info, and letting me know what PR means, lol
If I really get to do this, i am on the fence about taking pictures, i never did a real timed race before so i want to see how I do and stopping for pics won't really give me my PR ;) so to speak.
If I get to do a timed race before this trip, i might consider stopping.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My thinking is that if I'm doing a race in Disney I want to relax and have fun! To each their own though. :wave: I would recommend doing a race before your Disney race...you can then give them proof of time and get a better corral assignment (which dictates when you start, as the races begin in waves). I think you need 10k or longer.

Here's my Princess Half race report (character pictures galore and corral placement info), if you're interested. I'm planning on posting a report for the full marathon soon:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=707179

wow, almost seems harsh :veryconfu but thank you for that info.
I like to be informed with as much info as i can find out there.
I am def. going to keep up with my training, I even joined a gym so that i can keep up the running on the treadmill in the winter months:sohappy:

You're right that it seems harsh. I think the general consensus is that once you get to a certain point they'll let you finish. But they need to open the roads back up and return to "business as usual" so I think that's where the sweepers come in.

pixeemom

Original Poster
My thinking is that if I'm doing a race in Disney I want to relax and have fun! To each their own though. :wave: I would recommend doing a race before your Disney race...you can then give them proof of time and get a better corral assignment (which dictates when you start, as the races begin in waves). I think you need 10k or longer.

Here's my Princess Half race report (character pictures galore and corral placement info), if you're interested. I'm planning on posting a report for the full marathon soon:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=707179

You're right that it seems harsh. I think the general consensus is that once you get to a certain point they'll let you finish. But they need to open the roads back up and return to "business as usual" so I think that's where the sweepers come in.

Thank you Ariel484.....I would love to stop and take pics...and you're right I should consider doing a longer race before the disney one....thank you!!!
and I am def. going to check out your link ;) thanks again!!

Ariel484

Thank you Ariel484.....I would love to stop and take pics...and you're right I should consider doing a longer race before the disney one....thank you!!!
and I am def. going to check out your link ;) thanks again!!

No problem! I'm hoping to do the ToT 10-miler as well, so maybe I'll see you there! :wave:

pixeemom

Original Poster
sorry 1 more question

omgosh 1 more question sorry.

when do you find out or how do you find out the host resorts?
will that info become available when registration starts in Feb.?:shrug:

lukacseven

omgosh 1 more question sorry.

when do you find out or how do you find out the host resorts?
will that info become available when registration starts in Feb.?:shrug:

I don't know that there are necessarily host resorts at WDW for the January marathon weekend. There is special race transportation from Thursday through Sunday. Busses run frequently to and from all on-property resort hotels to Wide World of Sports and on race days to the start/finish line. Busses start running at 3:00 am. All-Star resorts are generally very crowded on race weekend.

pixeemom

Original Poster
I don't know that there are necessarily host resorts at WDW for the January marathon weekend. There is special race transportation from Thursday through Sunday. Busses run frequently to and from all on-property resort hotels to Wide World of Sports and on race days to the start/finish line. Busses start running at 3:00 am. All-Star resorts are generally very crowded on race weekend.

:animwink: thank you!

JillC LI

Hiya fellow LI'er.....The only race I did so far was the New years day 5 mile fun run in Eisenhower Park, I'm def. not ready for a full marathon, and I am debating on the LI one, if I do it, i think I might stick with the 10K run or the half, depending on if i think I am ready for the 1/2....a couple of my friends already signed up for it.
Thank you very much for the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really want to try and give this a shot :)

One tip - If you want to have any friends or family support you en route, tell them to leave much more time to get there than they think they will. The roads are blocked all around the race route. I had made plans to meet my family around mile 8, and it turned out that they had to park so far away and run to the sidelines that they were far more out of breath than I was when I met them! LOL. Another tip - park early at Eisenhower Park. It's a longer walk than you'd think to get to the start line.

;)
i will def. post my decision and if its financially doable.

BTW hope you don't mind, but what part of LI do you live on?

Actually it's me, not Ariel, who lives on Long Island. I'm in Rockville Centre. You?

pixeemom

Original Poster
One tip - If you want to have any friends or family support you en route, tell them to leave much more time to get there than they think they will. The roads are blocked all around the race route. I had made plans to meet my family around mile 8, and it turned out that they had to park so far away and run to the sidelines that they were far more out of breath than I was when I met them! LOL. Another tip - park early at Eisenhower Park. It's a longer walk than you'd think to get to the start line.

Actually it's me, not Ariel, who lives on Long Island. I'm in Rockville Centre. You?

We actually live in Westbury, so the route passes Carmen Ave which is blocks from my house so they can walk there....
But I know the 10K is a slightly different route so i think they have to go to Salisbury park drive...
and oooppps sorry meant to write Jill, not Ariel, my bad :p we are in Westbury

JillC LI

We actually live in Westbury, so the route passes Carmen Ave which is blocks from my house so they can walk there....
But I know the 10K is a slightly different route so i think they have to go to Salisbury park drive...
and oooppps sorry meant to write Jill, not Ariel, my bad :p we are in Westbury

How convenient! And nice to "meet" you!
:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom