Pre-Trip Run, Chickie! RUN!!!

It's been a while since I've had a trip report or a pre-trip report on here. I am still on a Disney break with the family, but I've had some major changes over the last 9.5 months and have decided to treat myself with my first ever RunDisney trip. I've been wanting to start a PTR for a while now, but I didn't want to jinx things. I mean, how awful would it have been to start a PTR just to get shut out of race registration?!?!? Well, I can rest easy with that part right now since registration was yesterday and I got both of the races I wanted!!! WOOHOO!

33748429948_9aa96b4c87_z.jpg

For those that haven't read my previous TRs, I'm Sandy (but you can call me Chickie :D )...

32683048417_d0bcab59ec_z.jpg

If you read my December 2017 trip report, you might recall that I had a number of pain and mobility issues. Rock bottom (well, the Disney portion of it) was being in Epcot and not being able to keep up with my family because I was in so much pain. I still look back on those tears and remember the fear that I might be in a scooter next time I visit if I can't get this turned around. I went home and vowed to get past all of this, but it would be another 6+ months before I got real with myself. I'm going to spare you all of the details, but I realized it was my weight that was the problem. I've been a yo-yo most of my life, so I had to come to terms with what does and doesn't work for me. I took a lot of things out of my diet that made me out of control and in the process, I discovered some food intolerances. I've also always loved exercise, so once some of the pain subsided, I got back into regular workouts.

So, it's been a little over 9 months and I'm already down 93 pounds! I still have a bit to go before I hit my first two big weight goals, but I'm getting close and I wanted something to celebrate...so I came up with this idea of doing some Disney races. I ran a half marathon in 2015 and while it was a huge accomplishment, I've decided that I really don't enjoy the longer distance things. So, I signed up for the 5k and the 10k in January 2020!!! And I'm not bringing my family!!! A Disney-loving work friend is going to come with me instead. I haven't had a girls trip anywhere since 2013 and I haven't been to WDW with a friend since the 1990s, so this is big!

All I know so far is-

When: January 8-12, 2020 (definitely flying)
Who: Me & Friend (don't know yet if she wants her name in here)

What's iffy-

Lodging: I definitely want to be onsite, but that's all I know. The only non-Disney spot I'm thinking about is the Swan. Rates are decent, beds are great, location is a major plus, and we can easily walk to YC or BW for the RunDisney designated buses. BUT...I'd kind of like a Disney resort. I missed certain things when we stayed at the Swan last trip. After that...I'm kind of all over the place. Part of me wants to splurge...part of me wants to be conservative...part of me wants an old favorite...part of me wants to try something new. ALL of me wants a comfy bed. I've always liked the beds at the monorail resorts and the Epcot resorts, but the beds we had at WL and AKL were too firm for me and the beds we had at POR (all of our rooms for our group) were just bad. I've never stayed in a value because for family trips, DH and I can't handle anything smaller than a queen and we haven't been as a family since they completed the renos at Pop with the queens. I'm also pretty claustrophobic, so smaller rooms don't work well for me (yes...I'm a MESS!). 2020 won't open up until late June/early July...so I've got time to weigh out a million pros and cons!

Dining: I'm not a big fan of any of the plans and my friend only likes it when going with her family, so no dining plans for us. We also would like some spontaneity, so I'm only going to be booking a few ADRs. We both want to try Skipper Canteen and their standard menu seems to work well for my dietary issues. I'd also like a celebratory meal with a view for one of the nights...Narcoosee's has more standard menu options that would work for me, but I prefer the setting of California Grill. I'm torn over Jiko vs. Sanaa. I love Sanaa and know they have some things that will work for me, but I've always wanted to try Jiko. I figure we also need one character meal. I'm leaning towards a breakfast...but not sure which one I want to do. With the exception of the new one at WL, I've done them all and have some strong opinions. So, I may just let the characters be the deciding factor.

Cake: You know I can't have a Disney trip without cake! The problem...I can no longer eat the Disney cakes. I am thinking about ordering one from Erin McKenna's, but they are just not fun. So, I'm thinking about getting a mini one for my friend and hope that she's not weirded out about having cake while I just take pics of it.

Costumes: I'm fairly certain that we're going with an Alice in Wonderland theme for the 5k. My friend is leaning towards the Mad Hatter and I'm going to get over my concerns with horizontal stripes and be the Cheshire Cat. Still, we have so much time that we could change our minds. The 10k is just me and I'm more uncertain on this. I've seen some really cool Small World stuff that also looks comfy, but I also saw some fun Tiki Room things. IF I could find anything Donald Duck that I really liked, that would probably win. And while fit and comfort are most important, I'm hoping to find a couple of pairs of decent joggers to coordinate with the respective costumes. It'll probably mean a trip to one of my local running shops for a fitting since I'm not in love with the Hokas and Asics I'm in right now. Oh how I hate it when companies come out with new versions of your favorite shoe or totally discontinue it altogether.

Park Time: Planning on 2-day hoppers, but my friend is not into thrill rides. We also both really like Star Wars stuff, but not sure how much of SGE we want to try and experience this time around since the crowds are sure to be insane. i.e. maybe save the bulk of it for later trips with our families.

That's really all I've got for now, but I'll be updating this thread as more details fall into place. Heck, I'm still not even sure the best way to link everything together since I've always traveled with family. It's going to be an adventure for me just figuring all of this new stuff out! :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Wow...so, a lot has happened since I last posted.

For starters...I tweaked my back lifting things I shouldn't be lifting. I'm feeling better, but I'm easing back into things. I suspect I hadn't fully healed from hurting my back a couple of weeks ago...and lifting a heavy shelving unit probably made it worse. It took a couple of days for it to hit me, but boy did it hurt when it did. It was Friday...all dressed to run after dropping the kids off at school...and just as I was pulling into my driveway, I could feel my back just go. I thought it might be a temporary thing, so I got out and walked a bit down the street, but I realized I was walking funny because of the pain. So, I did the smart thing and slowly walked back to the house. I was able to bike when I got home...not too hard, but just something to keep myself moving so that things didn't stiffen up too much. I rested on Saturday and Sunday and have been using a patch on my back to help. Yesterday, I got back into the gym...but still taking it easy. The biking has been fine and yesterday, I was able to add in some mild ab work that didn't bother things. Today, I was able to also add in some light lifting...nothing more than my 8lb weights. I do plan on getting in a short maintenance run this afternoon, but I will be taking it easy. I guess maybe it's an omen that I modified my taper and will be doing that half next week...because I think my body is going to need that extra rest now before I go into my last simulation. I still plan on taking it easy in the half...but in some ways, I'm feeling much better about this plan...like it was meant to be.

Next news...CORRAL PLACEMENT!!!

Waivers went up last Thursday, so that means I was able to see my bib # for the half. Corral info hadn't gone up yet, so I got caught up in all of the corral placement speculation. I got really excited, because my bib # would have put me in E for the half in 2019 and 2018. I kept telling myself to not get too excited because nothing was official and while it was my goal and I was super close for time, I know I didn't meet that goal. When corrals finally did post, I found out I made it into F. I have all kinds of feelings about this...

The Good-
- Based on the time I submitted, this is where I belong. You can't argue the numbers.
- All of those people who insisted I'd be placed in the last corral by submitting a POT below the cutoff, were wrong. Not that I celebrate them being wrong, but if I'd followed their advice and submit an estimate or nothing at all...well, I would have been in G or H. So, Disney did the right thing with my time.
- While corrals are huge, I have some online friends in my corral...so maybe I'll have some buddies on race day. Although, I'm pretty outgoing, so I'm sure I'll find some friendly runners either way.

The Bad-
- F is the largest corral. We're talking 8,000+ strong! Corrals will likely go off in mini waves, so if I want to have the best time advantage, I need to get into my corral ASAP and be as close to the front as possible. Which means less time for potty and other pre-race stuff.
- In looking at the bib #s, I was only about 40 off from the back of Corral E. Again, I know my time just wasn't good enough, but it stings a little more when you see how close you really were to the cutoff.

Now, before I get into the super fun stuff...I treated myself to something a little special.

49249750623_4a70bfe8ba_z.jpg

Yeah, I know...I don't love wearing ears, but I've been eyeing these for a while, they match my Magic Band, and I got a good price. I'm planning to wear them for travel too!

The other big news...I finally finished all of my costumes...well, sort of.

You've only seen it in pieces and heard of it in concept, but here's the caterpillar...

49254381213_a223d49b16_z.jpg

49254381143_797546f5e7_z.jpg

1. As you can see, there are no butterfly wings. I mapped it out with the hydration hookah and you'd barely see the wings. It's an awful lot of work for very little impact. In fact, it's an element that seems so good, but visually seems to fall flat. So, I'll save the wings for Halloween or something like that.

2. I've added the lettering to the Hydration Hookah, but I don't love it. It looks better than it did. I tried to go spot on to the movie, but the brighter colors didn't look as good as the muted pastels. He also only puffs out an "O" for the word "WHO"...and plain old O looked stupid.

49250805681_593dab2004_z.jpg

I'm probably going to leave it as is since it makes my character more identifiable from the back.

I say I'm almost done because I accidentally stitched the little hands on the arm sleeves into the sleeve itself for one of them. So, I need to fix the stitching. Those things are small and tight, so it's not the easiest thing to manipulate.

Brooks is also kind of crushing me here. My 10k shoes have been the trouble all along. I went with those Ghosts at first, but they didn't fit well. So, I opted for the lavender and blue Glycerins as my "it'll have to do" option for footwear. Not a perfect match, but it'll do. Well, Brooks goes and releases two Glycerins that I think would be better for coordinating...

1577205363750.png
1577205386328.png

I really like the first ones, but by the time I saw them, they were only available in a half size larger than I normally wear. So, I won't be tempted to drop any more $ right now on shoes.

I also finished up the back of the half top with the card back...since I'm now wearing the belt instead of the pack.

49254859561_9893b93a0c_z.jpg

Might as well share a front view too since I didn't have the ears in hand the last time I photographed the costume.

49254859241_3abd23630e_z.jpg

I guess the same is true for the 5k costume...I didn't have that headband in hand last time I photographed.

49254381368_bf63f853a8_z.jpg

49254381178_49c5d0223e_z.jpg

So, that's pretty much it for now. It's hard to believe, but in exactly 2 weeks...barring any unforeseen issues...I will be at WDW! With holidays and family stuff, it will probably be after the half on New Year's when I next post.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Joyful EVERYTHING!!!

lostpro9het

The Bad-
- F is the largest corral. We're talking 8,000+ strong! Corrals will likely go off in mini waves, so if I want to have the best time advantage, I need to get into my corral ASAP and be as close to the front as possible. Which means less time for potty and other pre-race stuff.

I don’t pay to run so this question is coming from an ignorant spectator. Doesn’t Disney chip the runners for their events? Based on the fees I assumed they did. And if they do wouldnt corral placement be moot since your time wouldn’t start until you cross the starting line?

Also, you might want to stick to airing of the grievances and leave feats of strength for next year. Happy Festivus!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I don’t pay to run so this question is coming from an ignorant spectator. Doesn’t Disney chip the runners for their events? Based on the fees I assumed they did. And if they do wouldnt corral placement be moot since your time wouldn’t start until you cross the starting line?

Also, you might want to stick to airing of the grievances and leave feats of strength for next year. Happy Festivus!

They chip the 10k, half and full. The whole corral game with Disney is different than other races...unless you're really fast and are running in A or with the elites. Most doing the Disney races just want a better corral so you have more time to play around with character stops and pictures on the courses. The farther back you are in corral placement, the closer you are to the balloon ladies and the sweepers...leaving you less time for fun on the course. With the cost of Disney events, most just want to get their $s worth. There's also that goal for some moderately fast runners for the half and full to make it to the castle before the sun is up so you can see the Dreamlights in the dark. So the better your corral placement...the more you can get out of it for your $.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

And for faster runners (I am not one), corral placement makes a difference in bottlenecks during a race. Even as a slow runner, there is nothing worse than having to weave in and out of people (this can add a fair amount of distance to your race). Or to have faster runners blow past you dangerously (no joke, I had a guy once push between me and another runner to my left, only to then cut in front of me to continue on the right ... and this when we were on a wide road and there had been no runners to my right).

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
And for faster runners (I am not one), corral placement makes a difference in bottlenecks during a race. Even as a slow runner, there is nothing worse than having to weave in and out of people (this can add a fair amount of distance to your race). Or to have faster runners blow past you dangerously (no joke, I had a guy once push between me and another runner to my left, only to then cut in front of me to continue on the right ... and this when we were on a wide road and there had been no runners to my right).

Very true! I've seen a number of people who had problems with their proof of time submissions who were placed in H...who should be in A or B. Danger and frustration with incorrect placement...so they're going to try and sort it all out at the Expo.

Piglet_the_brave

Very true! I've seen a number of people who had problems with their proof of time submissions who were placed in H...who should be in A or B. Danger and frustration with incorrect placement...so they're going to try and sort it all out at the Expo.
I’ve been quite surprised at some of the exchanges on the Facebook groups. Only joined them a couple of weeks ago to keep track of info, and for the most part they seemed quite friendly until the corrals were announced. I’m in C for Dopey, but I think I’ve slowed down a lot since my half POT after concentrating on distance over pace, so am planning on starting at the back of the corral.

Love your costumes. I’m being very boring and just doing some colour coordinated tops and shorts.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I’ve been quite surprised at some of the exchanges on the Facebook groups. Only joined them a couple of weeks ago to keep track of info, and for the most part they seemed quite friendly until the corrals were announced. I’m in C for Dopey, but I think I’ve slowed down a lot since my half POT after concentrating on distance over pace, so am planning on starting at the back of the corral.

Love your costumes. I’m being very boring and just doing some colour coordinated tops and shorts.

I was warned that things can get a little crazy in the groups once corrals are announced. I joined both of the ones I'm in back in the spring, so I got to be a spectator for Rival Run and Wine & Dine corrals before going through my own corral stuff. The smaller group I'm in was pretty positive and supportive, but the larger group had its share of freak outs and crankiness. I've also become more familiar with the tone of more frequent posters. There are some that just come off as more critical or a bit to blunt with practically everything, so I try to take that into consideration. That's awesome that you're in Corral C! I know I've seen some VLOGs from Corral C runners of the past...lots of castle all lit up at night in the dark stuff :) I agree about the slowing. Once my goals and objectives shifted, my pacing slowed down too. Not that I was ever overly fast, but running these simulations has definitely changed from my days of focusing more on speed work.

Thanks! As much as I like them, I feel like I'd be more inclined to go with simple in the future...or at the very least, custom made by someone else :hilarious: I at least don't feel like I'm doing anything too crazy. I've seen a few that are pretty mind blowing, but I also don't know if I'd want to run in them. I don't think color coordinating is boring...if anything, I think you're probably bound to have fewer headaches and concerns about what you're wearing on race day.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Little update...

A couple of weeks ago, my 13 yr old got a cold. Last week, my husband had that cold and is still getting over it. Over the weekend, I could start feeling it hitting me. I thought maybe it was just my allergies since Juniper/Cedar are really bad right now and my body is not a big fan of those. I got done with my 5k sim yesterday and just started feeling really bad. I'd normally ride it out with no intervention, but we're so close to race week that I decided to see the dr. I was negative for flu and strep, which is great, but he suspects I have a viral upper respiratory infection starting to form. I have two nasal spays I have to take along with standard allergy meds...and NO RUNNING...until at least the weekend. So, that means no 10k or half sims...meaning no New Year's Day half marathon. :( I'm not as bothered about the not running as I am about now feeling a bit under-prepared. I can still hit the gym indoors if I don't push too hard since the exposure to the allergens making me feel worse is less and I don't huff and puff as much as running. I will probably walk a bit on the treadmill just to give my legs some of that movement...but nothing crazy either. Hard to believe, but this time next week, we'll be getting ready to land in Orlando!!!

So, in the meantime...I'm entertaining family, trying to do some last minute prep, and buying silly things...

Like a luggage tag to match the 5k costume...

49294049086_83d06dd295_z.jpg

And shoe wings for the 10k, since it's the only way I can practically incorporate the butterfly...

49294323737_2e9c2a7693_z.jpg

And while I didn't buy this, my parents brought me a fun little toy to help me pretend I'm there...

Wishing you all a safe and happy New Year!!!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, it didn't take long for me to realize that I was not coming down with a cold. It was "just" allergies. I rested on NYE, but decided to pick up my race stuff for the 1st just in case my gut was right. It's one thing for it to be a cold, but allergies are a totally different story. I ate good stuff and hydrated on NYE just in case and woke up on the 1st ready to go. Thankfully, the race course is only about 5-7 min from my house, so aside from snagging parking...no need to get there super early.

While I missed the 10k sim altogether, the half sim called for a 14 miler, so I ran the neighboring greenbelts as a 1 mile warm up and then did some stretching in the park before race start.

49311929817_cda63a808e_z.jpg

I'm really glad I ran the race...for a number of reasons.
1. I had been having bad shin pain my last few runs and was worried about it for a longer distance, but what I've been doing in prep for my long runs continues to help. I had no pain like that during this race or warm up, so it just means I need to be doing more of this for all of my runs.
2. I saw a guy from work who was also running with his wife. We're not particularly close, but never anything bad between us and I've known him for a good 20+ years. So, a familiar face is always a good thing and was nice and supportive during the run.
3. I met this girl who had a running vlog on YouTube that I recently started following. It's helped guide some of my choices for future POT races. I gave her a shout out on the course, but we finished around the same time and had about 5 minutes to chat. So, that was really nice.
4. This was probably my most positive race to date...between runners, spectators and volunteers. I'm sure my warm up and subsequent recovery helped, but I finished feeling like I still had a lot of gas in the tank. My feet were getting achy and boredom was starting to set in, but my energy was still there and I only used a fraction of the fuel and hydration I'd brought for the run. And considering 14 miles was my long run for this training, it's a major confidence booster to finish training on a strong high note.

This was a pricey race, but we got some nice swag and a really nice medal. You should have seen the full medals...those things were MASSIVE!!!

49311883561_d117dac218_z.jpg

49311929667_a6e9d29f55_z.jpg

49306845051_8cc7dbf9ce_z.jpg

49306845056_617d368e97_z.jpg

49306349458_374139603f_z.jpg

The dog thing up there is this year's race mascot. Everyone who finishes gets one and they write your place on the back. The only thing with that...mine says 215, but according to official race results, my finish place was 211.

Speaking of finishing...my goal was to finish in under 3 hours without any strain or struggle, since this was all about putting the distance on my legs. I did that...sort of. My official time was 3:01 and some change, but I stopped in mile 12 to help another runner. The first half of each loop was a downhill and a woman running towards me lost her footing and went face first onto the course. She had already fallen once in lap 1 and ripped up her knees. This time, she smacked her head on the ground and was bleeding everywhere. The wound to her head was the size of a tennis ball and looked awful. So, the right thing to do was to stop and help...so I did. I didn't really do much, but I talked to her and helped her sit up. One of the Marines running the full ended up carrying her back (with his huge flag) to a check point. I forgot to fully time it, but based on the amount I missed in the podcast I was listening to, I was stopped for at least 5 minutes.

My family was also there to cheer me on as I crossed the finish line. They arrived about 15 min before I finished, so that was fun. The kids ate my pizza and cookies and I just kept moving so things didn't stiffen up. We went home after that so I could clean up and then it was out for lunch and a post race rita!

49311224883_9328588231_z.jpg

And then back home after to stretch, bike and foam roll. I felt really good the next day, but after walking around in my Oofo flip flops, I realized that I really needed something closed toe like this for after the races. It was not $ I wanted to spend, but I think my feet will thank me for these...

49318219117_a21c81c553_z.jpg

Another development...while it's still far enough out for things to change, the forecast keeps trending warmer and warmer. It went from looking like low 60s/upper 50s for the start of each race to low 70s. I wasn't expecting it to be quite this warm, but my tops are designed for it and I have bottoms that will work for the 10k and half if need be. For the 10k, I have shorts in the same blue color (brand/style) as the pants I'd planned on. I also have the same shorts in turquoise if I want to go with the thorax color instead of the rest of the body. The half is more complicated. I don't have the shorts in black (like the black pants I was planning on), but I do have them in red. So, here's my warm weather plan...

49323264693_78b5244de0_z.jpg

It's warming up here too and we're never overly cold, so I'm not too worried about the warming trend with my running and body. In fact, my 5k sim on Monday was still cold and I was kind of over it. Gloves, neck warmer and hat to start. Ugh. I was in a tank by mile 4 of that half marathon on New Year's...felt so much better.

49301063552_6791ea55a3_z.jpg

But also some Cheshire socks to wear through airport security to keep it fun.

49323411333_cf6b9e4de2_z.jpg

And some magnets to perk up the gym...

49324114762_cd3ec326e4_z.jpg

Beyond that...I'm now starting to pack.

49323963387_229b5142a8_z.jpg

My personal item/carry on is almost done. I've also printed my waivers and got my folder ready, so that can easily go into that bag.

Cannot believe this is almost here!!! I may post one more time before leaving, but if things get crazy, this may be it before I'm back and starting the TR. I've already come up with a title, but you'll just have to wait for it! 😁

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Well, here we are...day before we leave. I'm nearly done packing. I still need to get all my toiletries in there and weigh my bag, but I'm just about ready!

49341340772_610b301c0c_z.jpg

My friend just happened to be checking her MDE acct today and noticed both the dessert party and my changes to our Cali Grill ADR, so a little early on the surprise, but not too bad either. I thought she would have noticed a couple of weeks ago. So day before isn't so bad.

The forecast is also still looking warm (for January) at the end of the week. I guess that's the benefit of living in a warmer climate that's very similar to Orlando. I'm not saying it won't be uncomfortable at times, but I've had a number of runs in these kinds of temps over the last couple of months. Still...hydrate-hydrate-hydrate!!!

I truly appreciate so many of you following along as I prepare for this journey and new (to me) kind of Disney trip. Hopefully, it will be even more awesome than the journey getting to this point! See ya real soon!!! :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Well, here we are...day before we leave. I'm nearly done packing. I still need to get all my toiletries in there and weigh my bag, but I'm just about ready!

My friend just happened to be checking her MDE acct today and noticed both the dessert party and my changes to our Cali Grill ADR, so a little early on the surprise, but not too bad either. I thought she would have noticed a couple of weeks ago. So day before isn't so bad.

The forecast is also still looking warm (for January) at the end of the week. I guess that's the benefit of living in a warmer climate that's very similar to Orlando. I'm not saying it won't be uncomfortable at times, but I've had a number of runs in these kinds of temps over the last couple of months. Still...hydrate-hydrate-hydrate!!!

I truly appreciate so many of you following along as I prepare for this journey and new (to me) kind of Disney trip. Hopefully, it will be even more awesome than the journey getting to this point! See ya real soon!!! :)

Best of luck to you in the race. You're certainly well prepared, and I think you'll do well !!

Piglet_the_brave

Good luck. I’ll be looking out for your costumes in the races. I’ve enjoyed following your running planning, you are incredibly well prepared for this and I’m sure you’re going to do well. I’m slightly nervous about the heat this weekend, from the UK so used to long runs in cold rain.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
@HouCuseChickie , I thought of you when I read this today. Any thoughts? Sounds expensive, but I'm not a runner so don't know what a frequent runner would normally spend on races, etc.

Writing this as I wait for the half marathon corrals to open!

The various run groups I’m in have nothing but negative comments on this. Most aren’t seeing any benefits worth the cost . Ultimately, it’s being perceived as a major cash grab. The priciest package includes being put in a better corral...which is being shredded, since it equates to creating dangerous run conditions. I.e. slower runnersand walkers buying their way in with faster runners. I can’t see myselfdoing it.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Good luck. I’ll be looking out for your costumes in the races. I’ve enjoyed following your running planning, you are incredibly well prepared for this and I’m sure you’re going to do well. I’m slightly nervous about the heat this weekend, from the UK so used to long runs in cold rain.

Good luck to you too! Hydrate and you should be great! Not sure if it’s the sleep deprivation, but I’m actually a little chilly. I know that’llchange once we’re moving and after the sun comes up. Havr great runs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom