Pre-Trip Run, Chickie! RUN!!!

It's been a while since I've had a trip report or a pre-trip report on here. I am still on a Disney break with the family, but I've had some major changes over the last 9.5 months and have decided to treat myself with my first ever RunDisney trip. I've been wanting to start a PTR for a while now, but I didn't want to jinx things. I mean, how awful would it have been to start a PTR just to get shut out of race registration?!?!? Well, I can rest easy with that part right now since registration was yesterday and I got both of the races I wanted!!! WOOHOO!

33748429948_9aa96b4c87_z.jpg

For those that haven't read my previous TRs, I'm Sandy (but you can call me Chickie :D )...

32683048417_d0bcab59ec_z.jpg

If you read my December 2017 trip report, you might recall that I had a number of pain and mobility issues. Rock bottom (well, the Disney portion of it) was being in Epcot and not being able to keep up with my family because I was in so much pain. I still look back on those tears and remember the fear that I might be in a scooter next time I visit if I can't get this turned around. I went home and vowed to get past all of this, but it would be another 6+ months before I got real with myself. I'm going to spare you all of the details, but I realized it was my weight that was the problem. I've been a yo-yo most of my life, so I had to come to terms with what does and doesn't work for me. I took a lot of things out of my diet that made me out of control and in the process, I discovered some food intolerances. I've also always loved exercise, so once some of the pain subsided, I got back into regular workouts.

So, it's been a little over 9 months and I'm already down 93 pounds! I still have a bit to go before I hit my first two big weight goals, but I'm getting close and I wanted something to celebrate...so I came up with this idea of doing some Disney races. I ran a half marathon in 2015 and while it was a huge accomplishment, I've decided that I really don't enjoy the longer distance things. So, I signed up for the 5k and the 10k in January 2020!!! And I'm not bringing my family!!! A Disney-loving work friend is going to come with me instead. I haven't had a girls trip anywhere since 2013 and I haven't been to WDW with a friend since the 1990s, so this is big!

All I know so far is-

When: January 8-12, 2020 (definitely flying)
Who: Me & Friend (don't know yet if she wants her name in here)

What's iffy-

Lodging: I definitely want to be onsite, but that's all I know. The only non-Disney spot I'm thinking about is the Swan. Rates are decent, beds are great, location is a major plus, and we can easily walk to YC or BW for the RunDisney designated buses. BUT...I'd kind of like a Disney resort. I missed certain things when we stayed at the Swan last trip. After that...I'm kind of all over the place. Part of me wants to splurge...part of me wants to be conservative...part of me wants an old favorite...part of me wants to try something new. ALL of me wants a comfy bed. I've always liked the beds at the monorail resorts and the Epcot resorts, but the beds we had at WL and AKL were too firm for me and the beds we had at POR (all of our rooms for our group) were just bad. I've never stayed in a value because for family trips, DH and I can't handle anything smaller than a queen and we haven't been as a family since they completed the renos at Pop with the queens. I'm also pretty claustrophobic, so smaller rooms don't work well for me (yes...I'm a MESS!). 2020 won't open up until late June/early July...so I've got time to weigh out a million pros and cons!

Dining: I'm not a big fan of any of the plans and my friend only likes it when going with her family, so no dining plans for us. We also would like some spontaneity, so I'm only going to be booking a few ADRs. We both want to try Skipper Canteen and their standard menu seems to work well for my dietary issues. I'd also like a celebratory meal with a view for one of the nights...Narcoosee's has more standard menu options that would work for me, but I prefer the setting of California Grill. I'm torn over Jiko vs. Sanaa. I love Sanaa and know they have some things that will work for me, but I've always wanted to try Jiko. I figure we also need one character meal. I'm leaning towards a breakfast...but not sure which one I want to do. With the exception of the new one at WL, I've done them all and have some strong opinions. So, I may just let the characters be the deciding factor.

Cake: You know I can't have a Disney trip without cake! The problem...I can no longer eat the Disney cakes. I am thinking about ordering one from Erin McKenna's, but they are just not fun. So, I'm thinking about getting a mini one for my friend and hope that she's not weirded out about having cake while I just take pics of it.

Costumes: I'm fairly certain that we're going with an Alice in Wonderland theme for the 5k. My friend is leaning towards the Mad Hatter and I'm going to get over my concerns with horizontal stripes and be the Cheshire Cat. Still, we have so much time that we could change our minds. The 10k is just me and I'm more uncertain on this. I've seen some really cool Small World stuff that also looks comfy, but I also saw some fun Tiki Room things. IF I could find anything Donald Duck that I really liked, that would probably win. And while fit and comfort are most important, I'm hoping to find a couple of pairs of decent joggers to coordinate with the respective costumes. It'll probably mean a trip to one of my local running shops for a fitting since I'm not in love with the Hokas and Asics I'm in right now. Oh how I hate it when companies come out with new versions of your favorite shoe or totally discontinue it altogether.

Park Time: Planning on 2-day hoppers, but my friend is not into thrill rides. We also both really like Star Wars stuff, but not sure how much of SGE we want to try and experience this time around since the crowds are sure to be insane. i.e. maybe save the bulk of it for later trips with our families.

That's really all I've got for now, but I'll be updating this thread as more details fall into place. Heck, I'm still not even sure the best way to link everything together since I've always traveled with family. It's going to be an adventure for me just figuring all of this new stuff out! :)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You do bring up an interesting point though with the temps. I mean, you really never know what you're going to get with the weather and it could impact everything from how I am race day to comfort in what I'm wearing. And now you're making me think again about the half. I really don't want to do the half, but there are things like that view you're describing that make me think I should give it some real consideration. Well, that and it looks like the route for the half goes through MK. I mean, I've done a half before and finished in Disney pacing requirements, so I know I have it in me. My gut just keeps telling me I don't want to train for anything more than the 10k. I also remember how tired I was after that half and how exhausted I was on my training days where I was putting in longer mileage. We were planning on going to the parks the day of the half, and I might pass out midday if I do that and the race. Decisions...decisions!

So stick with your plan ... you can do the half another time 😉

And yes, having learned that weather in January in Orlando can be wildly unpredictable, I’d suggest finding ways you can layer your costume if need be.

Check out the running sub-forum; there is a thread for Marathon weekend (along with all the other races) and people in there are really great with giving tips and keeping each other motivated.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Congrats! Cool that you are running a race! Following along! 😉

Thanks!!! Very excited :)

So stick with your plan ... you can do the half another time 😉

And yes, having learned that weather in January in Orlando can be wildly unpredictable, I’d suggest finding ways you can layer your costume if need be.

Check out the running sub-forum; there is a thread for Marathon weekend (along with all the other races) and people in there are really great with giving tips and keeping each other motivated.

When I ran that half back in 2015, I remember a lot of more serious runners who were doing the full marathon (it was all side by side with the half) wearing "disposable" shells for the early parts. I recall temps were in the 40s when we started and in the low 60s towards the end. I wound up wearing a tank under my shell (that I'm too cheap to toss away) and just tied my shell around my waist once it became too warm.

I've peaked in there a little, but will definitely have to check it out a bit more.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Did a little more research work over the last couple of days...just little things to have in mind when the time comes.

Shoe fitting - I had a place before we moved, but I haven't had to be fitted since the move. I had gone to a more centrally located Fleet Feet AGES ago and they were pretty good. While not super close to our current home, I found a couple that would save me the drive into the center of Houston. Alternately, the store in the middle of Houston is near my office, so I could always pop in after work or during lunch if I want to go with that location. Hey, it's just good to know where I plan to go. And I guess I can always make the long drive to my old place if I'm not happy with the places closer to our home.

Headphones - These are what I wear at home...

Hubby got them for me several years ago and I love them. They are super comfy, sound is decent, long battery life, and have great noise canceling properties. The only problem...these are completely unsuitable for outside exercise. So, I've started researching wireless sport headphones. I've seen several I really like, but since my average workout is indoors, I'm not sure how much I want to indulge here. I've looked into 10 different kinds so far...some pricey...some more reasonable. Anyone have ones that they love? I've already ruled out the AirPods because I've worn the corded version of Apple's and they hurt my ears.

Run buddies - I normally prefer solitary exercise. I've never liked classes or running/walking with other people. Heck, I don't even like working with trainers. My friends keep pushing me to try Peloton, but even that kind of rubs me the wrong way. All that being said, we have some new furry family members who might be old enough to be training run buddies once I start my training plan.

While she didn't make it into all of my past TRs, some of you may remember our dog, Daisy. I often added a pic of her just before taking her to boarding or post trip, after we picked her up. My fave was her wearing an 'Ohana lei. We lost her back at the end of January. It was all extremely sudden. She went from a seemingly normal dog to gone in less than 48 hours...about 1.5 weeks shy of her 12th birthday. We know that new dogs aren't a replacement for what we've lost, but it's made things feel less empty. About 2 months after we lost Daisy, we adopted two pups from the Houston SPCA. I've introduced them in the Chit Chat, but I guess this will be their official trip report debut.

I'd like to introduce Voodoo...

47311387892_b8f4dfde9b_c.jpg

...and Cookie!

32496384817_1295fe4ac3_c.jpg

I wish I had better pics, but they are so squirmy that I've had to lower my expectations.

Cookie is currently about 4.5 months old and Voodoo 3.5 months. They don't have the stamina yet to go too far or for too long (Voo also has another few weeks before she has all of her shots), but by the time I'm ready to train, at least one of these pups will become my run/walk buddy. I have basic harnesses for them now, but if anyone has anything they love...let me know. They still have a lot of growing ahead of them, so I'm waiting until they get a bit older to invest in the good ones. The basic ones are a pain to get on and I suspect they don't fit as well as some of the others I've seen. Either way, they are bundles of energy and while there are inconsistency issues with them, they may help me push myself when I'm out on the greenbelts.

Time to hit the gym!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Although I listen to music when I run on a treadmill, I don’t when I am outside because I want to be aware of my surroundings. Plus I find that while I need it on the treadmill to get me through my run, I don’t have that problem when I am outside.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Although I listen to music when I run on a treadmill, I don’t when I am outside because I want to be aware of my surroundings. Plus I find that while I need it on the treadmill to get me through my run, I don’t have that problem when I am outside.
Voodoo and Cookie are adorable - hope they run the same pace as you 😉

For whatever reason, I've always been very music driven. If I'm running/walking outside, I tend to keep my volume lower or run with only one ear on. I don't encounter many areas where traffic is a concern, but bikes on the greenbelts can sometimes be an issue.

Thank you! I'm hoping I can keep up with them!
😂

Voodoo and Cookie are so cute!!! :inlove:

Thanks! They are growing so fast!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
ALERT- I HAVE OFFICIALLY GONE CRAZY!!!
(In a good way, of course!)

I kept telling myself that I didn't love training for the longer distances, but after I ran my last half marathon, I was so gung ho about doing a Disney half. And the more I looked at videos and heard people's stories, I got mad at myself for not following through and booking my original goal. I debated over this for the last week and the desire to also do the half just kept growing. So, I went onto the RunDisney site today and there were still slots open for the half. So...looks like I'm going to be training for a half again!!! And I feel really good about it. I mean, if something happens and I have to bail...so be it. At least I'm registered. While I realize there's a cost involved and it's not an apples to apples analogy, but better to book now before it sells out and have to bail vs. wait to decide I really want to do it and be shut out. And after watching a number of runners' videos, I think finding the perfect earbuds won't be a huge issue. I mean, I can see needing them in some spots, but the sights and sounds of the races...especially in and around the parks seems so much better :)

I also added 1/7 as a trip date (need to reach out to my agent to get this in their file), since I really want to get there the day before the 5k. If you read my 2013 TR, you may understand why I have fears about having anything critical, like bib pick up, coincide with a travel day.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I totally get it. At DLP I do the 5 and the half because why not ? 😉 (I find the 5K a good warm up for the half - helps me get rid of jitters that I only seem to get right before a half). And really, the worst case scenario is you start the half and get swept, with the more likely scenario being you finish it and need to nap a few hours before you are ready to hit the parks on Saturday. 😀

Megbutnotmegan

Awesome job signing up for the half! You can totally do it. I’ve run several halfs and Disney does it best! You’ll have so much fun on the route you won’t need any entertainment. If you’re outgoing (which for some reason I am only when I run 🤷🏻‍♀️) you can make friends as you run. One time my brother needed a energy chew and I literally just yelled out “anyone have a spare energy chew” and someone handed him one! It was a magical moment that kept us laughing through mile 8 😂

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I totally get it. At DLP I do the 5 and the half because why not ? 😉 (I find the 5K a good warm up for the half - helps me get rid of jitters that I only seem to get right before a half). And really, the worst case scenario is you start the half and get swept, with the more likely scenario being you finish it and need to nap a few hours before you are ready to hit the parks on Saturday. 😀

That's a great point about the shorter races being a good warm up for the half. I had so many jitters with my last half, and much of it was just being new to that race and their processes. Not sure why I picked it (oh wait...it was a St. Patrick's Day run and that sounded fun), but it was also a mixed surface run, so I went from training on the road to doing a combo of roads and trails come race day. The familiarity I should have by the time I get to the Disney half should help ease some of my nerves. I think my friend will also be heading home before me, so after the half, I can do the parks my way :) Not that her way is bad, but it'll be my time to hit some of the more thrilling rides that just aren't her thing.

Awesome job signing up for the half! You can totally do it. I’ve run several halfs and Disney does it best! You’ll have so much fun on the route you won’t need any entertainment. If you’re outgoing (which for some reason I am only when I run 🤷🏻‍♀️) you can make friends as you run. One time my brother needed a energy chew and I literally just yelled out “anyone have a spare energy chew” and someone handed him one! It was a magical moment that kept us laughing through mile 8 😂

I think that's why I'm now OK with doing the half. The half I did locally a few years ago wasn't bad, but it also didn't have all of this fanfare and energy I'm seeing in the videos of the Disney races. Don't get me wrong, there was still a lot of positive energy among the majority of the participants and volunteers, but it was a much smaller event and there wasn't a lot of support along the race route (aside from water, etc.). I'm fairly extroverted and outgoing, so that helps, but I remember being wowed by how friendly so many (many, but not all) of the runners were on race day. That's awesome about the energy chew! Funny, but also showing the great spirit among people. Also glad you brought it up because I hadn't researched if the energy gels I previously used were friendly to my new dietary restrictions. Looks like I should be good!

Spash007

Congratulations on your weight loss - that's awesome!

I'm definitely going to be following along, as I've been toying with the idea of RunDisney race as the incentive for me to be overall healthier, and especially to exercise more. I've never been a big runner (only time I "cheated' in school was when I tried to convince my gym teacher I ran 4 laps when I only walked 2), but I think a trip to Disney might just be what I need to change that.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Congratulations on your weight loss - that's awesome!

I'm definitely going to be following along, as I've been toying with the idea of RunDisney race as the incentive for me to be overall healthier, and especially to exercise more. I've never been a big runner (only time I "cheated' in school was when I tried to convince my gym teacher I ran 4 laps when I only walked 2), but I think a trip to Disney might just be what I need to change that.

Thank you :)

It's definitely something to consider and can be a great motivator. I do more of a run/walk approach, but really want to focus more on the running this time when I'm training. Still, doing this at Disney is the motivation. Disney was the motivation for my last half and while it was cool to run/walk through a bunch of wetland trails and beachy areas and much nicer than the normal neighborhood training scenery, it's not Disney. I told myself that if I could do a half at home, I could do a Disney half...so, here we are! I guess you could always use Disney as your motivation and try some things at home. No guarantees I'll finish, but I think I feel better about this knowing that I've done this kind of race/mileage before. Last time, I built up to over 45 miles a week before I realized that I could totally pull off a half.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
TRAINING UPDATE-

I've decided that I want to try and improve my odds of not getting stuck in the last corral for the half...which is sure to happen if I don't submit a proof of time. The half I ran a few years ago is too old, so I can't use that. I know I could do this and still wind up in the last corral, but it would be better if I tried to help myself out. I'm sure the balloon ladies are very nice people, but I don't want to meet them ;)

The next half marathon in this area is this weekend. That is not happening. The next half after that is late October...so, several weeks after the proof of time deadline...which won't work either. So, it looks like I'm going to be doing at least one 10k in September to try and get a decent proof of time. Thankfully, there are a LOT of 10ks in September. I'm currently looking at the Run Houston! University of Houston 10K and the Badges and Bases 10k. I may do both if they wind up on different weekends. I guess at least I kept my Garmin GPS watch from the last time I was entertaining all of this. It's an older, more basic model, but it still works well and it'll keep me from burning phone battery for tracking this stuff.

This also means I'm going to start training pretty soon. I already told my hubby that I plan to go out next weekend (chaperoning a trip to Dallas this weekend) to get fitted for new joggers. I'm so torn about which current joggers to wear to my fitting...

Hoka One One Bondi

1556203755052-png.367360
They are big, clunky, and have been causing some arch pain lately...so probably a no, but it's hard to not love the cushioning.

Asics Gel Quantum 360

I bought these to replace my favorite pair of joggers that were discontinued. I have been using them lately since the Hokas started bothering me, but I don't feel like they cushion as much as they claim and they are a bit narrow for my tastes, so I don't run/walk as freely.

Asics Gel Sendai

I cannot begin to tell you how much I adore these shoes and how upset I was when the Sendai was discontinued. I still wear them around the yard and they feel great, but the soles are pretty worn and they have enough miles on them to make my feet hurt if I try using them for any real distances.

I wasn't planning on summer training, but it is what it is and I did some of my best training in the summer of 2014. I'm deathly afraid of spiders, so I'd often challenge myself with speed/distance to get in as much as I could before the sun set (work day training) or after the sun came up and it became beastly hot (weekend training). Things get really webby once the sun sets and people tend to think you're being attacked when you scream in the streets at night. 😵 Hey...running/walking into a big web and dealing with the fear of having an orb weaver in your hair is the stuff of nightmares! I do have a treadmill in my home gym, but it's not a great one and I can't do more than a few miles on there. I usually don't use it for anything more than warm up or cool down. I am planning on using the track at the nearby middle school to do some of my training...so at least that won't be webby. Of course, it has no tree cover, but living where we are now, I tend to have a few more good run/walk hours simply due to the shade.

OK...I'll stop rambling, but figured I'd share. :)

Attachments

• 1556203755052.png
    1556203755052.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 367

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom