Rumors. Musings. Casual.

JoeCamel

I think that's unlikely, especially going forward. The Simpsons aren't going to gain in popularity/relevance in the next decade; it's far more likely to be something that almost no one under the age of 30 (or maybe even 40) cares about 15-20 years from now (I don't think there are that many people under the age of 30 who care about them even now).

Even at Universal it's mostly just a fast food area. The Simpsons theme obviously helps, but there probably wouldn't be a gigantic drop in revenue if it was just generic burgers etc. because that's what a lot of people want to eat, and the ride isn't too popular (although it's not a very good ride, so that's a contributing factor).

My guess is any investment Disney makes into the Simpsons theme would be better spent on a different theme in terms of long-term ROI -- if Universal thought the Simpsons area was that valuable they'd have wanted to keep it and add Pokemon elsewhere.

I know they're popular on Disney+, but I don't think that's necessarily a good indication of how popular they will be going forward. It's more likely to be background comfort watching for people who grew up with the show than something that's gaining a ton of new fans.
How about if they screen Simpson shorts in One Man's Dream theatre? All day every day......

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It literally makes zero sense to try to integrate the Simpsons into wdw.

The Simpsons have an incredible history

But fan or no - what it is is a cross between mad magazine and the most garbage animation ever created.

The uso land is probably the best you could do…they really did an excellent job…and yet you still want to take a shower after walking through it

Hard pass
If Disney builds a Simpons ride it’s just further confirmation they have no idea what they are doing anymore

fgmnt

Simpsons rumors have a lot going on. Worth noting when they pop up.

That’s the post.
The rumor that I am interested in is Universal dropping it in advance of the license expiring. Company licenses out a heavy amount of its attractions for the parks (Nintendo, Harry Potter, Transformers, Seuss, MIB, (others like Terminator, Animal Planet, Ghostbusters, Nickelodeon, and pre buyout Dreamworks used to be there), and of course, the Simpsons and Marvel. The alleged willingness to swap out the license for another doesn’t mean they don’t want to spend on licensed content as much as they just don’t want to give specifically Disney the money any more.

That has me wondering what current leadership of USO sees as the lifespan for Marvel Super Hero Island. Are they going to be able to get a deal with Six Flags, WB, and themselves together to finally put together Gotham in 20 years? Earlier? I don’t know how much of a sweetheart deal money wise it is for universal but I think it’s possible that contract gets torn up eventually.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The rumor that I am interested in is Universal dropping it in advance of the license expiring. Company licenses out a heavy amount of its attractions for the parks (Nintendo, Harry Potter, Transformers, Seuss, MIB, (others like Terminator, Animal Planet, Ghostbusters, Nickelodeon, and pre buyout Dreamworks used to be there), and of course, the Simpsons and Marvel. The alleged willingness to swap out the license for another doesn’t mean they don’t want to spend on licensed content as much as they just don’t want to give specifically Disney the money any more.

That has me wondering what current leadership of USO sees as the lifespan for Marvel Super Hero Island. Are they going to be able to get a deal with Six Flags, WB, and themselves together to finally put together Gotham in 20 years? Earlier? I don’t know how much of a sweetheart deal money wise it is for universal but I think it’s possible that contract gets torn up eventually.

Don’t be shocked if a massive redo of studios is announced after epic opens.

They’re in a great spot…they can basically run studios as a Skelton park with potter for 2 years, dump Simpsons, and get rid of the rotting kids zone and the fear factor/fast and furious garbage.

mickEblu

The rumor that I am interested in is Universal dropping it in advance of the license expiring. Company licenses out a heavy amount of its attractions for the parks (Nintendo, Harry Potter, Transformers, Seuss, MIB, (?), and of course, the Simpsons and Marvel. The alleged willingness to swap out the license for another doesn’t mean they don’t want to spend on licensed content as much as they just don’t want to give specifically Disney the money any more.

Conspiracy theory: Disney made Avengers Campus so crappy so Universal would realize they have absolutely nothing to worry about by ripping up the Marvel contract.

Last edited:

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
Once the monorails/beams go…that’s it.

Doneski
The state check of the monorails recently was not pretty. Peach is back under refurbishment because of electrical issues, and there are crews patching the beams overnight every night as of now. Supposedly a deadline by the state was given to fix the "big" issues, but I don't know what that date is.

Animaniac93-98

In the 90s and early 2000s it was merchandise sales influencing what should go into the parks. Now it's streaming numbers.

They never ask "what makes a good theme park experience?" because amusement parks are stupid and so are their fans, who will show up no matter what.

Their strategy for attracting new customers is always trying to tie the parks to something else, instead of selling the experience for what it is.

JD80

It's more like they are trying to revamp the two existing Uni parks so they are somewhere in the neighborhood of being on par with EU and that level of craftsmanship. So there isn't such a stark contrast between all their parks. They are shooting for a week long stay like people do at WDW. You won't get that if you go from Super Nintendo Land and then walk to this:

1707076335614.png

JD80

In the 90s and early 2000s it was merchandise sales influencing what should go into the parks. Now it's streaming numbers.

They never ask "what makes a good theme park experience?" because amusement parks are stupid and so are their fans, who will show up no matter what.

Their strategy for attracting new customers is always trying to tie the parks to something else, instead of selling the experience for what it is.

The Disney Company has been cross promoting stuff in the parks with media for a half century.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Product is a better indicator…

Cause…you know…people WANT that?

But in an ideal world they can and should balance all 3 concepts…it’s where the most money will be made

Brer Oswald

It literally makes zero sense to try to integrate the Simpsons into wdw.

The Simpsons have an incredible history

But fan or no - what it is is a cross between mad magazine and the most garbage animation ever created.

The uso land is probably the best you could do…they really did an excellent job…and yet you still want to take a shower after walking through it

Hard pass
A quick service restaurant in Disney Springs would be fine? Anything else? Absolute waste. I’m not sorry to see the Universal land go, and I wouldn’t say that about many lands at that resort. I was more sad about Kid Zone closing 😂

_caleb

What's giving you the impression that this is happening?
They may not ALL ask this, but don't you think someone is asking this? Like all the time? And hasn't Disney's recent box office slump shown that Disney fans won't necessarily "show up no matter what?"
Do you follow Disney's social media accounts?

The way I see it, there's no need to be frustration over things that aren't true.

StarshipDisney

Here’s one thing I want to highlight: Disney is broke guys. They are really having issues keeping funding going just to keep the parks running at any sort of acceptable standard.

Happy to hear that. Sincerely hope it is true.

The guest experience at Disney has truly gone to crap and I don't see going back again until they are able (if they even can) to go back to the great vacation experience that it once was. I was once somewhat of a "big spender" at Disney in that we loved the deluxe resorts and stayed club level several times. We always tied to reserve tours and special experiences and I know that we were exactly the type of guest that made Disney parks profitable. But...alas...that is no more. No way I am worrying about buying Genie minus every morning and hope (hope that is) I can get a good lightning lane. And that is only to start.

If they ever want us back, then they need to focus more on the guest experience instead of just working their best to increase their never-ending price list and making sure you keep your face in a phone all day long.

Brer Oswald

I think with Simpsons, the land has just hit “it’s time”. It replacing BTTF was always viewed in a similar way to Pooh replacing Toad or now Tiana replacing Splash. The popularity the land got has waned. The attraction isn’t that great. It’s also blocking some backstage land, and Universal very likely wants to get going on Pokémon given that it’s a guaranteed money maker.

They have much less reason to give up Super Hero Island. The Spider-Man IP and ride are both incredibly popular. They don’t have to renew to keep it, and they block Disney from using the one inside asset that could actually compete with Epic Universe. Granted, we see what they’re doing in California, so they’d probably botch it here too if they could.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom