Rumors from the Boat Captain

PhilharMagician

Here is the intact wave machine...

7SLwavemachine.jpg

Nice themeing on the wave machine. It looks just like the ones in Polynesia. :shrug::lol:

BTW cool pic of the wave machine.

fauna

What my DH Paul forgot to mention is that this same boat captain (or whatever they are called) said that the reason they stopped using the wave machine is because it moved the whole island......:lookaroun No, seriously, that's what he said. Sounded a little strange to me, but whatever
He also said that Fort Wilderness was done before Wilderness Lodge and that Wilderness Lodge was done before the Grand Floridian- and that a monorail was supposed to run through the Wilderness Lodge and that is why their windows in the back are the way they are because near the end of building it, they decided not to put the monorail through and the builder had to figure out how to "fix" it.

So THAT's how Ben moved the island!

(if you're not LOST, then you surely are now)

TrojanUSC

1) There is no "landfill" back there. Can you imagine Disney putting a landfill of trash a mere 100 yards from the Magic Kingdom? One change of direction in the wind, and instead of Mary Poppins, you get a terrible odor permeating the park.

This is not to mention the huge impracticality of a landfill used by Disney. They go through so much trash, you'd have a mountain the size of Expedition Everest within a week.

What they do have back there, is an incinerator. This is used to burn off trash and create energy for the parks (there is also another location this is done behind Test Track).

A FEW 20k Subs are stored in a lot next to the Pluto Parking Lot (reserved for MK Shift Managers and other non-costumed personnel), just off N. World Drive.

2) As for the wave machine, it was discontinued because it caused severe erosion and bacteria growth on the Polynesian Resort beach. Not because it was moving any islands.

uklad79

1) There is no "landfill" back there. Can you imagine Disney putting a landfill of trash a mere 100 yards from the Magic Kingdom? One change of direction in the wind, and instead of Mary Poppins, you get a terrible odor permeating the park.

There is a landfill for building waste and most likely all the ashes. It looks like it is near Maple Loop.
Anyone know what those buildings are in Maple Loop? It looks like an odd layout of small buildings.

WDW Monorail

There is a landfill for building waste and most likely all the ashes. It looks like it is near Maple Loop.
Anyone know what those buildings are in Maple Loop? It looks like an odd layout of small buildings.

That is indeed the landfill at the very end of Maple Road.

The configuration of buildings on Maple Loop is the WDW pyro complex.

A FEW 20k Subs are stored in a lot next to the Pluto Parking Lot (reserved for MK Shift Managers and other non-costumed personnel), just off N. World Drive.

The 20K subs spent quite a bit of time in the Pluto Lot 'bone yard' before being buried in said landfill. There are no longer any subs in Pluto Lot to the best of my knowledge.

JackRabbitRun

ummmm...i love boat captains, but...

no. everything is false. they are moving to hybrid buses, eventually. but, not hydrogen. (i wish) The new Contemporary resort is being BUILT as a DVC resort. It will not be "added" later. And, 26 rides at opening? What, are they miracles workers? LOL

I guess these rumors are entertaining, I'll give him that.

How Could You Be So Sure?

CaptainMichael

lol

I'm a boat captain. Most of my fellow CM's don't even know what that the new tower is DVC....

I'm curious to know who your driver was because I couldn't see any of them knowing anything.

WDW1971

Disney and GM have a relationship. GM has provided HYBRID buses for the city of Seattle. So, if you put two-and-two together, I would think any new buses are going to be hybrids. However, GM is trying to establish itself as a leader in the hydrogen-fuel field, so there may be some validity in Disney at least having a few hydrogen-fueled buses. The issue would be having enough hydrogen available on-site for refueling of the buses.

Remember folks, it isn't Toyota or Honda leading the way into alternatively-fueled mass transit. It's the "big, bad" GM. Try fueling enough Priuses to move that many people.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney and GM have a relationship. GM has provided <b>HYBRID<b/> buses for the city of Seattle. So, if you put two-and-two together, I would think any new buses are going to be hybrids. However, GM is trying to establish itself as a leader in the hydrogen-fuel field, so there may be some validity in Disney at least having a few hydrogen-fueled buses. The issue would be having enough hydrogen available on-site for refueling of the buses.

Remember folks, it isn't Toyota or Honda leading the way into alternatively-fueled mass transit. It's the "big, bad" GM. Try fueling enough Priuses to move that many people.

Later in our trip we were on a bus and I guess the driver's supervisor was on a ride along or something. I struck up a conversation about the topic of hybrid busses and he said that they do have a few in their fleet, but they are finding that they do no get any better mileage than the regular diesel. Now Im not sure if he was referring to hybrid as electric/diesel, or if he was referring to flex fuels (biodiesel, etc.)

WDW1971

Later in our trip we were on a bus and I guess the driver's supervisor was on a ride along or something. I struck up a conversation about the topic of hybrid busses and he said that they do have a few in their fleet, but they are finding that they do no get any better mileage than the regular diesel. Now Im not sure if he was referring to hybrid as electric/diesel, or if he was referring to flex fuels (biodiesel, etc.)

Well, I can tell you that from all reports, the buses that were supplied to the city of Seattle were successful in reducing fuel usage. But like any internal combustion engine, it relies heavily on the weight of the driver's right foot. Easy starts and maintaining even speeds will save fuel. I get nearly 30MPG in my large American car and I have coworkers bragging about getting 28MPG in their smaller import. You don't have to be the first person to get to the next red light every time.

Links:
http://www.industryweek.com/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=14211
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/05/16/048059.html

WDW1971

I would imagine that he was referring to flex-fuels. My understanding is that those fuels offer less energy per gallon than regular gas or diesel. So, you need more of that fuel to go as far. But, they're better for the environment.

akika666

Hi, I've been enjoying my super duper interesting lurking experience here immensely, but I finally had to register. I won't be able to sleep without posting my response to these boat captain rumors. Sorry I haven't introduced myself yet, (in short: mom/huge hidden mickey and trivia buff :wave:) but I have to get this out of my system:

"meh... hybrid, hydrogen, shhmydrogen... alls I know is, it's what these young whippersnappers are callin' 'en-vir-o-MENTAL.' Why, back in my day, we weren't so high and mighty. Internal combustion was good enough for us."

Again, my apologies for butting in, and also for imbuing the cap'n with a personality I'm sure he doesn't really have, but he just needed to blurt that out. Phew.

tinkerblonde11

That would be amazing if they made a Villain park like that. Sometimes villains need some credit too. You have to admit, no villain, no movie.

CaptainMichael

I have to get this out of my system:

"meh... hybrid, hydrogen, shhmydrogen... alls I know is, it's what these young whippersnappers are callin' 'en-vir-o-MENTAL.' Why, back in my day, we weren't so high and mighty. Internal combustion was good enough for us."

:shrug:

Is it really that "high and mighty" to want to better our fuel efficiency and make the planet a better place for ourselves, our children, and our children's children?

Sorcerer Mickey

While we might like the idea of a villains park, I can't imagine families paying $60 a person to spend a day in what should be a gloomy, dark area. Not my idea of a 'Disney Day'.

Kingdom WDW

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but are any of the buses or boats running on natural gas, or is this just a rumor?

How's Disney going to deal with high prices of oil?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom