Rumors for Remaining part of 2020

Kamikaze

Snow days might still be a thing. Teachers can't just flip a switch and move everything online, if the lessons was prepared with the idea that it would be taught in class then it can't be expected for them to switch everything over in, what, an hour or less? Depending on how far ahead of time the school knows the weather will prevent kids from making it to class. Then there's the issue of some classes being near impossible to replicate online (like any science class with a lab) and some students not having access to WiFi at home. Online learning has its advantages but I doubt many teachers and schools will be eager to make much use of it.
Uh, schools are currently flipping to all remote learning overnight when they have positive tests in their schools right now.
So yes, they can just move it online instantly, its happening daily here in CT.
And in the places with hybrid models (like most districts here in the Northeast) all lessons are currently being taught to both in person and remote students. The issues you're bringing up are issues now, regardless of whether its a snow day or not.

Shouldigo12

Uh, schools are currently flipping to all remote learning overnight when they have positive tests in their schools right now.
So yes, they can just move it online instantly, its happening daily here in CT.
All of the schools around me had to break for at least a week when we got a positive test. If you guys can do it faster, awesome.

havoc315

Snow days might still be a thing. Teachers can't just flip a switch and move everything online, if the lessons was prepared with the idea that it would be taught in class then it can't be expected for them to switch everything over in, what, an hour or less? Depending on how far ahead of time the school knows the weather will prevent kids from making it to class. Then there's the issue of some classes being near impossible to replicate online (like any science class with a lab) and some students not having access to WiFi at home. Online learning has its advantages but I doubt many teachers and schools will be eager to make much use of it.

Harder in elementary schools. But in the middle schools and high schools in my district, they already have flipped the switch in an hour. The school district was having computer issues, they had all the teachers just teach from home to the kids at home.

Of course, a severe enough storm could knock out internet in the whole community. But at least for middle schools and high schools, remote learning could easily replace snow days.

Yes, there are restrictions to online learning. But for a handful of days? Easy enough to re-schedule labs.

My school district is currently giving every student the option to be 100% online if they choose. It's also already replaced sick days / substitute teachers. Where some teachers have been under the weather, they have continued to teach remotely. In fact, my son's English teacher has been nearly 100% remote -- some of the students are in a classroom, but the teacher is remote!

havoc315

I don't think extending the school year is something that anyone wants to do, anywhere.

The teacher unions don't want it. The kids don't want it.

But most parents, most people serious about education -- absolutely do want it. I want it. I see no reason in today's world for kids to take 2-3 months straight off from school every year. Scatter a few longer breaks through the year, but run the whole year. Have 220-230 school days instead of only 190.

Shouldigo12

Harder in elementary schools. But in the middle schools and high schools in my district, they already have flipped the switch in an hour. The school district was having computer issues, they had all the teachers just teach from home to the kids at home.

Of course, a severe enough storm could knock out internet in the whole community. But at least for middle schools and high schools, remote learning could easily replace snow days.

Yes, there are restrictions to online learning. But for a handful of days? Easy enough to re-schedule labs.

My school district is currently giving every student the option to be 100% online if they choose. It's also already replaced sick days / substitute teachers. Where some teachers have been under the weather, they have continued to teach remotely. In fact, my son's English teacher has been nearly 100% remote -- some of the students are in a classroom, but the teacher is remote!
Maybe my school district just kind of sucks then haha. 🤷‍♀️

TTA94

Just curious how is Shanghai and Tokyo running some nighttime shows when there is no vaccine yet? Is it only happening because they are doing better with the amount of cases?

havoc315

Just curious how is Shanghai and Tokyo running some nighttime shows when there is no vaccine yet? Is it only happening because they are doing better with the amount of cases?

THey took masking and contact tracing seriously early on.
So it's a simple matter of the amount of viral spread.

Japan with a population of 125 million is averaging around 500 cases per day.
China with a population of 1.5 billion is averaging 15 cases per day.
Florida with a population of 20 million is averaging 2500 cases per day.

Basically, per capita, Florida has 30 times the amount of virus as Japan.

Ldno

Online schools also give parents and excuse to take their kids and do whatever they want since they can catch up on their work At the end of the day, I would at a reasonable time also since the parks are not shutting that late.

I have noticed that the park reservation has been filing up on weird weekdays as is, parents are catching on!

Either way it’s all messed up because even if they go to school they all do zoom work with their home buddies at home so it doesn’t really matter

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have no insider info but I feel personally given the notion that Disneyland can’t open, I strongly have a gut feeling Disney in burbank will try to recoup their money back by adding a few spectacles along the way this year in Walt Disney World. Maybe they can open Ratatouille ride and Space 220 to boast attendance at Epcot. Masks will not go away any time soon at all, but I’m curious to see if they can bring back Fireworks, because they have been changing their holiday hours a bit more to the right, plus not to mention park hopper will not be back any time soon despite the fact that we can buy tickets in 2021 with the option to do so.

We will see at the End of the month to for any changes to the Holidays in WDW this year at least since it’s around the corner but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Still don’t see any desire for them to “boost” attendance. They are letting the southeast come to them...nothing more.

Local college scheduled Good Friday as the entirety of spring break 2021.

Oh how I hate Ohio state?

I mean WDW says they are ready and given how everything is close to 60 days with planning, I mean why not. Honestly with florida easing restrictions on a lot of things, Disney’s holding it self up at this point but we will see. ChapeK wants to say he’s basing Disney guidelines off of CDC stuff but the thing with them opening up Art of Animation November 1st, I wonder if they have something planned if it‘s requiring more attendance.

I’m just basing it off on the notion that they are reopening more than we thing which makes me wonder if they can pull a surprise Announcement, similar to Savi’s workshop with a week or two to plan.

You best believe if Disney mentions the words Rat 2020 Holidays I am buying my ticket in a heartbeat!

They’re easing the restrictions...nobody is really saying it was a good idea. Disney won’t be pressured beyond where they are comfortable to go...rest assured. I think they may be miffed at Florida already.

I'm not entirely convinced park hopping will really ever be the same when its all said and done. Seems like from a operations planning point of view, the reservation system just makes too much sense to give up.

Agreed...park hopping isn’t really as advantageous for Disney as people assume it is.

Ldno

Still don’t see any desire for them to “boost” attendance. They are letting the southeast come to them...nothing more.

Oh how I hate Ohio state?

They’re easing the restrictions...nobody is really saying it was a good idea. Disney won’t be pressured beyond where they are comfortable to go...rest assured. I think they may be miffed at Florida already.

Agreed...park hopping isn’t really as advantageous for Disney as people assume it is.
It’s very interesting to see what’s disney brewing with the parks, like you say they may be miffed, but all of a sudden DLR is in talks with unions, I am hoping this will ease up some people from the east coast flying to WDW and park traffic! Heck, I might even go to DLR if the radius is waived, I’m a sucker for Disneyland more than WDW Lolol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom