Rumor: World Showcase 2007

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Just making sure to point out this is entirely a rumor..

A poster over at mouseplanet has stated that France, Canada, and Mexico are getting updated for 2007 at Epcot.

According to the OP, a friend of his is in charge of the film shoot for the Mexico update, apparently theming the ride to the 3 Cabelleros.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=52446

I know this rumored change to the ride has been mentioned before, and I've never given it much credit, but saying you have a film industry friends who's working on the project seems like a stretch even for any attenttion glutton.

Also - wasn't it published in newspapers (aka: "quality press") that Norway's film was being re-shot?

RonAnnArbor

It will be intersting to see which of the World Showcase attractions are and are not updated. I have heard nothing about France updating their display, and my best friend works for the French Tourist Board, so if I hear anything I will certainly update you. I would be surprised if that is updated anytime soon, as it consistently gets some of the best reviews at WS as far as the movies go. Canada, as far as Disney has announced, has had no corporate takers to pay for an updated film. Is it just me, or is the song at the end (Canada, my Canada (Mon Canada) one of the most infectious at the park? I find myself humming it all the time and I am not Canadian! Mexico's ride has long needed updating. Yes, Norway has announced an update film. It was announced at least two years ago, and there is nothing there yet. At any rate, it will be interesting to see what develops as tourist boards cut their expenses to the bone, and corporate sponsors pump their money elsewhere. Somebody please please help pay for the Canada update!

ToTBellHop

I would think they would have to start those changes pretty soon for them to be finished anytime in 2007...Disney is pretty slow with these things. It is certainly needed, though. We haven't seen any major changes to World Showcase in over 15 years.

e4ymod

mousermerf said:
According to the OP, a friend of his is in charge of the film shoot for the Mexico update, apparently theming the ride to the 3 Cabelleros.
I hope this doesn't happen. That's my favorite country in the world showcase.

orlandorealtor

El Rio del Tiempo is one of the coolest rides in the park. It has such a great classic/retro quality to it and the song is fantastic. I love the part where you are in the cave and see the people, looking very early 80's, drinking at the pool bar with the mariachi playing behind them...so awesome.

If they HAVE to update it, why does it need to have characters?! If they keep this up Epcot is going to completely lose its identity and become Magic Kingdom 2.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
For the record, one could easily argue that El Rio Del Tiempo was merely a combined clone of "it's a small world" and "If You Had Wings" from MK.

But, the truth is that it doesn't have a line anymore - at all - ever.

tk421-sw

orlandorealtor said:
El Rio del Tiempo is one of the coolest rides in the park. It has such a great classic/retro quality to it and the song is fantastic. I love the part where you are in the cave and see the people, looking very early 80's, drinking at the pool bar with the mariachi playing behind them...so awesome.

If they HAVE to update it, why does it need to have characters?! If they keep this up Epcot is going to completely lose its identity and become Magic Kingdom 2.

Im with you!, Mexico is one of my favorit resturants in Epcot, I lOVE the volcano!

orlandorealtor

I think the lack of a line has something to do with placement. Maelstrom has an outside ride entrance and you can see the ride from the walkway. Rio's line is hidden in the back of the pavilion and you can only see the ride if you're having dinner or leaning into the restaurant.

(This is opening a whole new can of worms) Disney used to show the public what was entertaining, with new concepts and ideas. Lately they seem to just read the guest research and create exactly what people expect. This isn't a bad thing but it creates a situation where they are no longer setting the bar...they are allowing other people to do it.

Also, it seems that the ride wasn't really designed to have a 'line'. There's just a small zig-zag and then you board.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I'm not sure if you ever looked, but Del Tiempo has more than just the down sloping queue between the glass shop and entrance to the San Angel.

Infront of San Angel are several stantion holes, as the ride would originally have a queue that winded outfront in the plaza.

The position is not perfect, but did not hinder the attraction during it's peak. The ride has not always been empty and a walkon - just as the Land before rennovation wasn't always a "calm and tranquil place to escape the crowds."

I understand that people like what they know, and yes, just being able to hop on El Rio at any time sure sounds like fun, but I would like to see an updated ride and a busy theme park. A busier Epcot means more pavilions - of which the park was designed to have several more. So, I always say, more people = good. And El Rio is on the list of places that could use improvement.

ToTBellHop

I'm not sure it's placement so much as being an old ride that hasn't seen any updates in years and was never an E-Ticket to begin with. Changes are definitely needed...but please, no Fastpass!

orlandorealtor

mousermerf said:
I understand that people like what they know, and yes, just being able to hop on El Rio at any time sure sounds like fun, but I would like to see an updated ride and a busy theme park. A busier Epcot means more pavilions - of which the park was designed to have several more. So, I always say, more people = good. And El Rio is on the list of places that could use improvement.

I'm for change just like everyone else. I'm just not a big changing the pavilion attractions to cartoon rides with meet and greets. I always thought the point of World Showcase was to experience new cultures, not have Disney plug the latest DVD release. I also fear turning Mexico's temple into a giant stroller parking area and listening to young Judy and Bobby scream for Donald Duck while they pass by on their boat as I'm trying to enjoy dinner at the San Angel Inn.

goofyfan13

mousermerf said:
I'm not sure if you ever looked, but Del Tiempo has more than just the down sloping queue between the glass shop and entrance to the San Angel.

Infront of San Angel are several stantion holes, as the ride would originally have a queue that winded outfront in the plaza.

I've had to experience this first hand two years ago on NYE. I've never had to wait outside the pavilion to ride El Rio Del Tiempo.

Figments Friend

As much as i love El Rio, i am excited to hear this news about a possible update. The idea of theming it to "The Three C's" sounds like a great fit. In this, i can see some awesome opportunites to bring in some great AA's of the lead characters and jazz up the ride with some of the films catchy music. They could recreate some scenes from the film easily with what is currenty there at the pavilion with just some overlays and AA figures.

I just hope they don't go the "cheap" route and make another cut-rate ride experience with mostly plasma screens and limited figures ( ala JIYI with F). It would be a shame to waste such a great ride with something this dull.

Three Cab's...bring it on! :)

dxwwf3

If they update Impressions and O' Canada, at least keep the music and just update the visuals. Both of those films are pure perfection in my eyes and I would hate to see downgrades there with some MTV style quick editing crap like on the new WDW planning DVD's.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
orlandorealtor said:
I'm for change just like everyone else. I'm just not a big changing the pavilion attractions to cartoon rides with meet and greets. I always thought the point of World Showcase was to experience new cultures, not have Disney plug the latest DVD release. I also fear turning Mexico's temple into a giant stroller parking area and listening to young Judy and Bobby scream for Donald Duck while they pass by on their boat as I'm trying to enjoy dinner at the San Angel Inn.

Well, this is the attraction in World Showcase i've heard from the Cast (IP's), tourists, and friends from Mexico, is really offensive.

It's cute, but really culturally sterotypical and in lots of people's eyes - backwards. The main antagonist being the shop scene, and the other problems being the more kitsch-beloved scenes like the swim-up-bar and such.

What would of been neat, would of been to have that fire swing thingy they feature in the ride actually built and performed-on out on a little extension into the laggon by the Cantina as shown in the conceptual artwork for the pavilion.

orlandorealtor

mousermerf said:
What would of been neat, would of been to have that fire swing thingy they feature in the ride actually built and performed-on out on a little extension into the laggon by the Cantina as shown in the conceptual artwork for the pavilion.

Very cool.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
dxwwf3 said:
If they update Impressions and O' Canada, at least keep the music and just update the visuals. Both of those films are pure perfection in my eyes and I would hate to see downgrades there with some MTV style quick editing crap like on the new WDW planning DVD's.

Again, there are some cultural issues.. in O Canada - the singing woman is NOT french canadian and it shows in her voice. Her accent is like Bronx meets "I failed high school French class."

The China upgrade was successful, so I hope Canada will be too.

mitchk

tk421-sw said:
Im with you!, Mexico is one of my favorit resturants in Epcot, I lOVE the volcano!

I'm with you guys. As soon as I arrive at Disney, I check into my hotel, go to Epcot, get a margarita, and turn right around, and go on El Rio Del Tiempo. I love sitting back, floating past the restaurant, and into little Mexico. The best part is right towards the end where the fire works are going off, and they are singing that catchy little tune. That puts a big smile on my face every time.

RnRJoe6114

I hope they dont do to much with the ride because it is a memory of my grandpa who died when I was 6 because he worked on the plumbing in that pavillion and everytime we go we have to ride it and leave a coin in a different spot every time (he used to do a trick with a penny when I was young).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom