(RUMOR) Rivers Of Light to end in 2020 replaced with new show featuring Disney characters

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree with all of this.

I have noticed many guests confused that the show is over.
Disney are masters of the grand finale. Taking the level higher higher, holding it, and then when you thought it couldn’t get any better they introduce the icing on the cake. The show stopper. It’s something you’ve not seen in the show before. The ace up the sleeve. The lasting memory of the last thing you saw. This show needs it desperately. And a solution to the unreliable main screens.

Take note TDO, IP won’t fix it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I was thinking about this potential replacement for RoL, and then HEA, and also whatever replaces RoE, and what makes them any different than Wishes!. I think I figured it out, at least for me.

Wishes! used a lot of movie IP, without a doubt. But it was cohesive, and any movie IP, clips, etc., used were centered around the central theme - Wishes. (I have to preface this next part with the fact that I have only heard the audio for HEA, and not even that for RoL.) HEA (and Illuminations in DLP) seems to be just a mashup of various movie IP, thrown together to make up a show that, while it may be visually enjoyable, is nothing more than a movie IP mashup. I was finding Illuminations at DLP to be enjoyable... right up until the Star Wars portion started and that really almost ruined it for me. It sounds like the RoE replacement will follow this formula, and potentially the RoL replacement/"enhancement" will as well. Apparently no one at TDO, or just Disney in general, is capable of creating a nighttime show that's original and isn't just a "let's see how many movies we can cram into the show" mashup? Is this truly what we have to look forward to - More projections, more movie IP, and little creativity or originality? Who do we have to "thank" for this?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney are masters of the grand finale. Taking the level higher higher, holding it, and then when you thought it couldn’t get any better they introduce the icing on the cake. The show stopper. It’s something you’ve not seen in the show before. The ace up the sleeve. The lasting memory of the last thing you saw. This show needs it desperately. And a solution to the unreliable main screens.

Take note TDO, IP won’t fix it.

But really, is IP ever the fix? My magic 8-ball says... "No".

TTA94

Honestly I would not be against a Lion King Alive With Magic show replacing RoL for awhile. 2019 would be a great opportunity with the special planned Lion King events and the new live action movie coming out.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wishes! used a lot of movie IP, without a doubt. But it was cohesive, and any movie IP, clips, etc., used were centered around the central theme - Wishes. (I have to preface this next part with the fact that I have only heard the audio for HEA, and not even that for RoL.) HEA (and Illuminations in DLP) seems to be just a mashup of various movie IP, thrown together to make up a show that, while it may be visually enjoyable, is nothing more than a movie IP mashup.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you. Wishes is a narrative mess and HEA has a cohesive outline in which the IPs fit nicely.

Wishes is built around the song When You Wish Upon a Star, with Jiminy's narration introducing each section. The segues to the IPs that followed were rather forced:
  • Jiminy says: You know, any wish is possible. it takes is a little courage to set it free! What does that even mean? I wish for something, but I have to be brave first? Isn't the whole thing of wishes is that you don't have to have any personal agency except to ask for the wish? And then the wish is set free... from what? What has holding the wish back? This all segues into Go the Distance which is about making a personal goal and intending to see it through... nothing to do with wishes.
  • Jiminy says: A wish is a powerful thing—especially when it comes from the heart. And the song echoes that sentiment: She brings to those who love the sweet fulfillment of their secret longing. The IP that follows is Beauty and the Beast, which is about two opposites starting to fall in love... which is not at all about wishing for the one you love. This would have been perfect for Snow White's Someday My Prince Will Come instead.
  • Jiminy says: Sometimes, wishes can be granted in the most unexpected ways. Now, Prince Ali Baba that follows, makes sense. But, The Sorcerer's Apprentice doesn't since Mickey isn't really wishing unless you open up the definition of 'wish' to 'wanting anything and trying anything.'
  • Jiminy, perturbed by the ominous music of The Sorcerer's Apprentice says: Uh oh, now don’t worry. Just remember, always let your conscience be your guide. Um... what does that even mean in the narrative that's set up? Then, suddenly, Evil Queen makes an appearance and her magic spell formula from the movie is changed from Now, begin thy magic spell to Alas, grant me my wish as well! In order to make her fit, they change the idea of casting a spell (personal agency in doing things), to asking the Magic Mirror to grant a wish. Then, they play Night on Bald Mountain which has nothing to do with anything.

HEA, on the other hand, is set up to follow the Hero's Journey in having personal agency and following through to make your wishes come true. That's the point of the new song and narration that bookends the show. The fireworks show itself has five segments that are each introduced with a clip of a Disney character's quote. Each section has songs from IPs which fit the theme of that segment. A breakdown of HEA can be found here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/deconstructing-happily-ever-after.927091/#post-7710134

GiveMeTheMusic

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you. Wishes is a narrative mess and HEA has a cohesive outline in which the IPs fit nicely.

Wishes is built around the song When You Wish Upon a Star, with Jiminy's narration introducing each section. The segues to the IPs that followed were rather forced:
  • Jiminy says: You know, any wish is possible. it takes is a little courage to set it free! What does that even mean? I wish for something, but I have to be brave first? Isn't the whole thing of wishes is that you don't have to have any personal agency except to ask for the wish? And then the wish is set free... from what? What has holding the wish back? This all segues into Go the Distance which is about making a personal goal and intending to see it through... nothing to do with wishes.
  • Jiminy says: A wish is a powerful thing—especially when it comes from the heart. And the song echoes that sentiment: She brings to those who love the sweet fulfillment of their secret longing. The IP that follows is Beauty and the Beast, which is about two opposites starting to fall in love... which is not at all about wishing for the one you love. This would have been perfect for Snow White's Someday My Prince Will Come instead.
  • Jiminy says: Sometimes, wishes can be granted in the most unexpected ways. Now, Prince Ali Baba that follows, makes sense. But, The Sorcerer's Apprentice doesn't since Mickey isn't really wishing unless you open up the definition of 'wish' to 'wanting anything and trying anything.'
  • Jiminy, perturbed by the ominous music of The Sorcerer's Apprentice says: Uh oh, now don’t worry. Just remember, always let your conscience be your guide. Um... what does that even mean in the narrative that's set up? Then, suddenly, Evil Queen makes an appearance and her magic spell formula from the movie is changed from Now, begin thy magic spell to Alas, grant me my wish as well! In order to make her fit, they change the idea of casting a spell (personal agency in doing things), to asking the Magic Mirror to grant a wish. Then, they play Night on Bald Mountain which has nothing to do with anything.

HEA, on the other hand, is set up to follow the Hero's Journey in having personal agency and following through to make your wishes come true. That's the point of the new song and narration that bookends the show. The fireworks show itself has five segments that are each introduced with a clip of a Disney character's quote. Each section has songs from IPs which fit the theme of that segment. A breakdown of HEA can be found here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/deconstructing-happily-ever-after.927091/#post-7710134

I concur with all of this, good work!

I would also add that every time someone says Wishes had a "story" my eyes roll back into my head.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Wishes had a story.
Wishes did have a story. It was just a bit convoluted. Doesn't take away from Wishes being a great show, for its time.

HEA has a better conceived story, impressive pyro, impressive projections, great pacing, an impressive finale, and is a bit more advanced. The reason HEA has been so well received has to do with these factors, not because it includes IP. That's what Disney management is missing. RoE is currently suffering because the tech is a bit dated, and the globe middle, being now 18 years removed from the millennium, doesn't resonate (I say this as someone who considers RoE his favorite nighttime show). RoL's problem gmhas already been stated above - inconsistent tech, poor pacing, and a lackluster finale.

None of this has anything to do with IP.

FullSailDan

The end is a poorly scripted finale. It’s a dramatic show and you’d expect a show stopper, something visually impressive. The barrage of rooftop and aerial fireworks. The globe opening and 1000 points of light. A dragon and a showboat.

There’s a structure that isn’t obvious what it’s meant to be that may or not extend slightly, and has some small flames on it. The end. The show just peeters out.

There’s many none pyrotechnic options to choose from. It’s Disney. But the end is an anticlimax.

And this from someone who likes it.

It really is sad isn't it? I love RoL for what it is, I'm all about high art, people needing to think and interpret, and being blown away by the layers of colored light. It's beautiful as art, and fits the tone of the park perfectly. Watch, pay attention, there is beauty in the world, and danger, and sometimes that danger IS beauty. But here's a small torch to tell you it's over, or that man's mastery of fire leads to the end of animals, or something. Opening night, the audience sat there quietly at the end until the announcer came on and said "we hope you enjoyed..." it was like the Jeb Bush "Please clap" mishap all over again. It's just weird. The overall narrative needs work.

It's a shame the show is such a house of cards, one wrong breeze and the show is intelligible. Little rain, as Florida is all to happy to provide, and the projection is skewed. Strange lighting, and the shadows on the trees fail to show up.

Prototype82

I don't get it. What was it that had you like it so much? I mean something can be flawless but still boring. I can prepare a flawless tax return for you, but you could still owe $10K.

For me, Rivers of Light represented the valleys of better shows. It didn't have an appropriate rise and fall. I will however commend the music as being great.
It felt...Significant and stirring...There was something about the way the actors reacted to what they were seeing from across the water, seeing the boats set into motion during its grand overture, and the sheer cleverness and subtlety in how the characters incorporated really clever shadow effects into their performance. It wasn't about being flashy, loud or climactic. I didn't have to get run over by strollers just to watch a massive IP fest. It was subtle and artful and the epiologue mixed with taiko and that fire tower was all I needed for a climactic ending. I don't know. But I'd rather grab a cold beer, sit overlooking that water and watch a show that makes me feel like I'm part of something bigger than get run over to find a perfect viewing spot at the Magic Kingdom. I admit it could've greatly benefitted from the hundreds of floating lanterns it originally was going to have. But with those performers it was my favorite night show out of all of them for its subtlety by far.

FigmentJedi

Wishes did have a story. It was just a bit convoluted. Doesn't take away from Wishes being a great show, for its time.

HEA has a better conceived story, impressive pyro, impressive projections, great pacing, an impressive finale, and is a bit more advanced. The reason HEA has been so well received has to do with these factors, not because it includes IP. That's what Disney management is missing. RoE is currently suffering because the tech is a bit dated, and the globe middle, being now 18 years removed from the millennium, doesn't resonate (I say this as someone who considers RoE his favorite nighttime show). RoL's problem gmhas already been stated above - inconsistent tech, poor pacing, and a lackluster finale.

None of this has anything to do with IP.
Skimming through TV Tropes articles is not a story.

Happily Ever After has no main character, no narrative, and no conflict or resolution. It's just Tom Kane doing a Morgan Freeman impression and showing you a bulleted list of "I Want Songs", "Wacky Sidekicks", "True Love", and "Fighting the Big Bad".

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Happily Ever After has no main character, no narrative, and no conflict or resolution. It's just Tom Kane doing a Morgan Freeman impression and showing you a bulleted list of "I Want Songs", "Wacky Sidekicks", "True Love", and "Fighting the Big Bad".

HEA is about the main characters. It summarizes the Hero's Journey, which is a narrative. It has conflict and resolution, you know, what you admit to when you derisively call part of the show "Fighting the Big Bad." While it may not be one particular story of one hero, it is a meta-analysis of many stories showing their journey of how they longed for something more and then started on a journey to achieve it with lovers and family and friends fighting adversities and triumphing in the end.

If that's not story for you, then fine. By your standards, Wishes also had no story since it highlighted a bunch of Disney characters who wished for stuff and got it. No main character, no narrative, and no conflict or resolution.

FigmentJedi

If that's not story for you, then fine. By your standards, Wishes also had no story since it highlighted a bunch of Disney characters who wished for stuff and got it. No main character, no narrative, and no conflict or resolution.
Jiminy Cricket wants to take us through different Disney wishes and dreams. He gets in over his head when encountering the Evil Queen and the Blue Fairy bails him out.
A Main Character, a narrative, a Conflict and Resolution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom