(RUMOR) Rivers Of Light to end in 2020 replaced with new show featuring Disney characters

RSoxNo1

It's my favorite night show. With actors, it was flawless.
I don't get it. What was it that had you like it so much? I mean something can be flawless but still boring. I can prepare a flawless tax return for you, but you could still owe $10K.

For me, Rivers of Light represented the valleys of better shows. It didn't have an appropriate rise and fall. I will however commend the music as being great.

rle4lunch

I don't get it. What was it that had you like it so much? I mean something can be flawless but still boring. I can prepare a flawless tax return for you, but you could still owe $10K.

For me, Rivers of Light represented the valleys of better shows. It didn't have an appropriate rise and fall. I will however commend the music as being great.

Agreed. It seems that as you sit and watch it, you wait for the high points and climax, but it just plateaus around 'meh, those are kinda cool'.

cjkeating

I'm with @Prototype82 for love of Rivers of Light, I am sure Prototype has different reasons but mine are as follows.

I come to WDW at most every two years and Animal Kingdom is my favourite park, during our holiday we spend all day at the parks from opening to close with very little downtime. Therefore for me after a long day at Animal Kingdom when my only time sat down may have been a TSR or Festival of the Lion King I enjoyed grabbing a beer, getting a seat, chilling during the pre-show and then appreciating the music, lights, actors and atmosphere before leaving the park.

Would I say Rivers of Light is technically better than Happily Ever After? Probably not. Did I enjoy the 45 minutes before RoL and the show more than the 45 minutes before HEA and the show? Yes.

flyerjab

Rivers of Light is a beautiful show...weather permitting. I have seen both extremes for this show: a perfectly still night when every effect worked flawlessly, and a breezy night when the mist screens were hazy and the fire lotus was not used. The problem for me is that the big show should not be that reliant on nearly perfect weather. And believe me, there is no bigger DAK fan than me. I just want it to perform consistently enough so that there won’t be concerns with the show effects.

And yes, I agree with the above poster that the music for this show is the best of all of the nighttime shows at WDW.

GlacierGlacier

Rivers of Light is a beautiful show...weather permitting. I have seen both extremes for this show: a perfectly still night when every effect worked flawlessly, and a breezy night when the mist screens were hazy and the fire lotus was not used. The problem for me is that the big show should not be that reliant on nearly perfect weather. And believe me, there is no bigger DAK fan than me. I just want it to perform consistently enough so that there won’t be concerns with the show effects.

And yes, I agree with the above poster that the music for this show is the best of all of the nighttime shows at WDW.
I saw it one time with some light rain. It really, really added to the experience, with light and such being spread all over the stadium.

Of course, I was getting a tad soaked. But I was quite content watching RoL while being turned into a river.

Kman101

I've stated many of the shows flaws, but I still enjoyed it. I don't think quiet and understated gets enough credit. But it definitely isn't flawless. Different strokes and all that I suppose. We like what we like. The music helps a great deal. Just amazing, beautiful music.

It's a shame it didn't live up to those who wanted an epic nighttime spectacular but I think it was a nice idea that was probably flawed from the start and didn't ultimately come together. I don't know that IP will solve the issue. A better story perhaps?

Weather permitting, the water screens are iffy and that's going to be a problem for any show.

As much as I like RoL, The Tree of Life Awakenings is my favorite addition to the park for nighttime. Just fitting and beautifully done. So complimentary. It was just meant to be there. And even the use of IP in the one segment is beautifully done and fitting.

FigmentJedi

It's a shame it didn't live up to those who wanted an epic nighttime spectacular but I think it was a nice idea that was probably flawed from the start and didn't ultimately come together. I don't know that IP will solve the issue. A better story perhaps?
A mystical journey through the natural world conducted by the shamans and animal spirits that takes us into the stars is a pretty cool set-up for a nighttime show. The problem is that they overestimated the audience's ability to interpret and figure out that's what's going on mostly on their own, with only like two narrative bits to go off of. Making the shaman teams exclusively pantomime doesn't really help that either. Letting Aseema and Aditya speak for themselves instead of the narrator and occasionally invoking the mystic powers or something could have helped.

Like they already learned this lesson when they launched Tapestry of Nations: Originally there was no legend of the Sage of Time and the Sage only spoke beginning, middle, and end in a rather stoic tone. A few months later, they gave him more dialog, a warmer voice and that narrative at the parade's start. Smart plussing for a more avant-garde concept.

PorterRedkey

I think the music helps a lot. I absolutely love it. I really love the water screens on the lotuses too.

However. the pacing is all wrong. RoL builds nicely for the first 5 minutes and then it has shown most of its tricks. There is no next plateau for the show to reach. The "fire" tower finale always seems to underwhelm the audience.

It a good show that needs a new middle and a grander finale. That said, I will watch RoL at least once when I am visiting WDW for any reasonable amount of time.

Kman101

I think the music helps a lot. I absolutely love it. I really love the water screens on the lotuses too.

However. the pacing is all wrong. RoL builds nicely for the first 5 minutes and then it has shown most of its tricks. There is no next plateau for the show to reach. The "fire" tower finale always seems to underwhelm the audience.

It a good show that needs a new middle and a grander finale. That said, I will watch RoL at least once when I am visiting WDW for any reasonable amount of time.

This too.

I think the finale is fine actually (the fire is meh-ish; so what can you do? fireworks aren't an option folks and I think deep down that's what everyone is wanting - EDIT: not saying you). Everything comes together. Why is it so hard for people to follow though? I'm a little confused. (EDIT: Not being snarky, genuienly wondering why it's hard to follow for some? Not saying it's a great story ... but there is one)

The middle is the problem and so are the water screens. To name just two problems. For whatever reason, it just doesn't completely come together. The bones are there.

I'm sad so many hate it. Now look where we are.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

This too.

I think the finale is fine actually (the fire is meh-ish; so what can you do? fireworks aren't an option folks and I think deep down that's what everyone is wanting - EDIT: not saying you). Everything comes together. Why is it so hard for people to follow though? I'm a little confused. (EDIT: Not being snarky, genuienly wondering why it's hard to follow for some? Not saying it's a great story ... but there is one)

The middle is the problem and so are the water screens. To name just two problems. For whatever reason, it just doesn't completely come together. The bones are there.

I'm sad so many hate it. Now look where we are.
I don't need fireworks, but if you are going to have fire in the finale, make sure you can still see the flames when the wind is blowing. I always think one is out, but then the wind shifts and it flickers back to life.

Kman101

I don't need fireworks, but if you are going to have fire in the finale, make sure you can still see the flames when the wind is blowing. I always think one is out, but then the wind shifts and it flickers back to life.

The fire is sad. LOL. I was going to say pathetic but sad sounded more sympathetic :) lol

There's a lot that could be improved upon. But I think you'd need true flames coming out of something. Not what looks like sparklers. (Well not quite but close, LOL)

Kman101

One thing I know is that adding Disney characters will not make it any better.

But little Susie Sunshine now LOVES the show. It's a SUCCESS!!!

;)

I totally agree though.

I think there's a tasteful way to include characters (like I think they could with Epcot's Illuminations replacement) but we know they don't always do tasteful. Tree of Life Awakenings shows me they can do tasteful with IP if they tried. I just fear another montage of Disney characters singing and boom everyone says it's a great show now. I'm very much torn on this in the sense that I think it could be doable but I don't actually trust them to do it right.

When are we getting The Lion King: Alive With Magic? ;)

Nottamus

I didn't read ALL of the posts here, so if i am repeating, apologies

My wife and I watched it on two separate occasions. The first time, the show had technical glitches that had them stop mid show and re start. Unfortunately, the re started show also failed and they ended up cancelling.
Six months later on another trip we saw the whole show, We both LIKED it, but haven't been back since.
Compared to other shows, sure its DIFFERENT - but you cant compare to other shows. Its just different. Im sure there are many who really really liked it.

As far as adding characters, i think here they have a huge bunch of awesome ones to choose from.
Lion King, Jungle Book, Avatar, just a couple...but all good ones.

(I was going to add Zootopia, didn't want to start a rumor)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This too.

I think the finale is fine actually (the fire is meh-ish; so what can you do? fireworks aren't an option folks and I think deep down that's what everyone is wanting - EDIT: not saying you). Everything comes together. Why is it so hard for people to follow though? I'm a little confused. (EDIT: Not being snarky, genuienly wondering why it's hard to follow for some?.
The end is a poorly scripted finale. It’s a dramatic show and you’d expect a show stopper, something visually impressive. The barrage of rooftop and aerial fireworks. The globe opening and 1000 points of light. A dragon and a showboat.

There’s a structure that isn’t obvious what it’s meant to be that may or not extend slightly, and has some small flames on it. The end. The show just peeters out.

There’s many none pyrotechnic options to choose from. It’s Disney. But the end is an anticlimax.

And this from someone who likes it.

Last edited:

cjkeating

The end is a poorly scripted finale. It’s a dramatic show and you’d expect a show stopper, something visually impressive. The barrage of rooftop and aerial fireworks. The globe opening and 1000 points of light. A dragon and a showboat.

There’s a structure that isn’t obvious what it’s mesnt to be that may or not extend slightly, and has some small flames on it. The end. The show just peeters out.

There’s many none pyrotechnic options to choose from. It’s Disney. But the end is an anticlimax.

Interested to hear what specific improvements/additions you would make to the show within technically feasible boundaries?

Kman101

There’s a structure that isn’t obvious what it’s mesnt to be that may or not extend slightly, and has some small flames on it. The end. The show just peeters out.

I agree with all of this.

I have noticed many guests confused that the show is over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom