Rumor - Possible ticket price increases coming this Sunday (2/28)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirael

I'm curious to see how much is the price increase and if, plot twist, one of the tiers will be cheaper than the current one day price

ParentsOf4

every time this comes up, you hear the same thing... tipping point, vote with my checkbook elsewhere... and nothing changes but the prices.
Disney has overreached on several occasions since 1984, the year Michael Eisner became CEO.

For example, Disney was forced to create an entirely new type of ticket (Magic Your Way) in 2005 because its traditional ticketing structure was driving Guests away.

More recently, Disney has offered various discounts on bundled vacations (e.g. Free Dining, Room Only discounts, "Buy 4, Get 3 Free") in order to attract Guests.

Since the introduction of MYW tickets, domestic Per Capita Guest Spending (representing how much is spent at the parks) and Per Room Guest Spending (representing how much is spent at the hotels) have increased less, suggesting consumers are adjusting to WDW's higher ticket prices by spending less elsewhere. As Guests spend more on tickets, they spend less on food, merchandise, and lodging.

The economy has improved over the last few years. Orlando is experiencing a record number of visitations at most of its tourist attractions. Historically low gas prices have put more disposable income into consumer pockets. Meanwhile, pent-up demand from the last recession is generating high volume, a trend WDW has seen after all previous recessions. Corporate Disney is making decisions assuming that today's favorable market conditions will continue. Instead, sales will slacken once these conditions change.

Disney has overreached in the past. Disney will overreach again. It's just a matter of when.

Last edited:

FutureCEO

Disney has overreached on several occasions since 1984, the year Michael Eisner became CEO.

For example, Disney was forced to create an entirely new type of ticket (Magic Your Way) in 2005 because its traditional ticketing structure was driving Guests away.

More recently, Disney has offered various discounts on bundled vacations (e.g. Free Dining, Room Only discounts, "Buy 4, Get 3 Free") in order to attract Guests.

Since the introduction of MYW tickets, domestic Per Capita Guest Spending (representing how much is spent at the parks) and Per Room Guest Spending (representing how much is spent at the hotels) have increased less, suggesting consumers are adjusting to WDW's higher ticket prices by spending less elsewhere. As Guests spend more on tickets, they spend less on food, merchandise, and lodging.

The economy has improved over the last few years. Orlando is experiencing a record number of visitations at most of its tourist attractions. Historically low gas prices have put more disposable income into consumer pockets. Meanwhile, pent-up demand from the last recession is generating high volume, a trend WDW has seen after all previous recessions. Corporate Disney is making decisions assuming that today's favorable market conditions will continue. Instead, sales will slacken once the these conditions change.

Disney has overreached in the past. Disney will overreach again. It's just a matter of when.

when

RonnieHare

I would care less if these rises actually resulted in changes to the park, investment - but instead they are going into the back pockets of Bob Iger, his cronies and the stock market.

Bloody disgrace. Vote with your wallet, and don't give Disney your money ... don't stay onsite, go to other parks like Universal, and spend less.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I would care less if these rises actually resulted in changes to the park, investment - but instead they are going into the back pockets of Bob Iger, his cronies and the stock market.

Bloody disgrace. Vote with your wallet, and don't give Disney your money ... don't stay onsite, go to other parks like Universal, and spend less.
Still beating the same bell end drum, Jordan Nite? At least you're consistent....

Makamah

Said this in another thread. The park crowds are just their spin. If this was to help with crowds they wouldn't keep closing attractions. Every park pretty much has areas that have been closed for a long period of time. If they opened some you could displace crowds.

Or go the Mr Mom skooner tuna route. Charge less for HS since there is so much closed. Then when the new lands open raise them. Think we would all be ok with that. It is the pay more for less that we have issue with

Also if they are concerned on crowds stop building resorts. Why build more WL DVC if your parks are already crowded. They keep adding more hotel rooms to increase attendance then state parks are crowded.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I'm hardly up in arms about this new price point. What I'm seeing over and over are people who are incised that they are not willing to or are able to do the things they have enjoyed in the past due to the new associated costs.

A Disney vacation is not a durable commodity good (as is also a Universal or SeaWorld adventure) and not a necessity. No one will die if they don't get one, nor face lasting harm in spite of the current crop of Ada lawsuits.

Everyone has a budget of income and expenditures, some more some less. Some can afford items by reprioritization, some don't need to, and some cannot.

No need to wrap excessive verbiage and rationalization around it. You can afford it or you cannot, it's that simple.

35106886.jpg

VulcanCafe

Or go the Mr Mom skooner tuna route. Charge less for HS since there is so much closed. Then when the new lands open raise them. Think we would all be ok with that. It is the pay more for less that we have issue with

The problem is, if you lower the cost for DHS due to ride closure, you are likely to INCREASE attendance at the park with the smallest number of rides. Catch-22.

betty rose

It was actually DHS on my last trip that finally made me realize how terrible WDW has become. South of Echo Lake is deserted, full of terrible outdated attractions, and when I went Sunset Boulevard was covered in teenagers and gymnastics teams doing their routines in the streets, so I didn't even try to ride Twilight Zone/Rock n Roll (they also were both 90+ minute waits, seeing as they are the only attractions there worth anything). Launch bay is not an attraction, but seeing as some disney fanatics think a gift shop is worth another trip its really not surprising to me the bar is so low.

I remember leaving DHS (I went Epcot - MK - DAK - DHS) and the next day going to Universal Studios for three days and it was heaven. Less crowds, more rides, better food, nicer staff. I rode the Harry Potter and Forbidden Journey ride 5+ times it was so good. I really just don't understand how Disney keeps its business.
I think some of us feel locked in, with DVC. After this year, I will stay in the DVC and go to the other Orlando parks. Just an aside question. How is the best way to go from Saratoga Springs, to Universal. Please don't suggest uber, hubby is not a fan. We are in our late 60's, and he wants something, that he feels is safe.

Last edited:

Figgy1

I think some of us feel locked in, with DVC. After this year, I will stay in the DVC and go to the other Orlando parks. Just an aside question. How is the best way to go from Saratoga Springs, to Universal. Please don't suggest, hubby is not a fan. We are in our late 60's, and he wants something, that he feels is safe.
Mears or taxi if you don't trust uber

Nick Pappagiorgio

Because it seems to be a concept not easily rationalized by many people! To bad, life must be difficult when reality isn't allowed to enter it. Disappointments abound!

The economic debate is simple, capitalism 101, and I get that. I like economics and the invisible demand as much as the next guy. Disney can do whatever they want and are in a good position to do so. They have to maximize profits for the shareholders.

But they also tried to maximize profits but firing a bunch or American workers and replacing them with foreigners. That action had the same exact goal. To maximize profits and reduce costs. But that didn't stop anyone from having an ethical debate over their business practices.

And there are lots of other things disney could do to maximize profits that would draw ethical and other questions. And yet price increases amid massive cuts get a free pass because of "capitalism".

PhotoDave219

The economy has improved over the last few years. Orlando is experiencing a record number of visitations at most of its tourist attractions. Historically low gas prices have put more disposable income into consumer pockets. Meanwhile, pent-up demand from the last recession is generating high volume, a trend WDW has seen after all previous recessions. Corporate Disney is making decisions assuming that today's favorable market conditions will continue. Instead, sales will slacken once these conditions change.

I believe this is their current overreach.

You know if they just weeded thru middle management and consolidated jobs there instead, they wouldn't have to cut any entertainment or offerings....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom