Rumor lightyear update to the buzz actions in the parks.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Hold your horses Disney. First see how this film does at the box office before doing something stupid. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't want to even see it.

I'm kind of in the same boat. The Toy Story ship sailed at the end of TS3 for me. TS4 was awful until the half way point, then it was good, at least, but I still maintain it wasn't necessary. But yet they continue to insist that people need to see a movie about the "origin story" for character after character. It's a money-grab. Nothing more, nothing less.

GimpYancIent

I'm kind of in the same boat. The Toy Story ship sailed at the end of TS3 for me. TS4 was awful until the half way point, then it was good, at least, but I still maintain it wasn't necessary. But yet they continue to insist that people need to see a movie about the "origin story" for character after character. It's a money-grab. Nothing more, nothing less.
👍

Dear Prudence

I just loath when adults (usually men) say that attractions that aren't to their specific liking aren't "good attractions," and I have seen them floating around in re: Buzz Lightyear-themed attractions at all of the US parks. ...you know that not everything is made for your exact specifications.... you can just not ride it....you can accept that some of the attractions are going to be geared for a younger audience and not you at all.... and that it doesn't make them bad it just means you don't like it... right?! Like we understand that not everything is about you, right? Am I missing something?

ToTBellHop

I just loath when adults (usually men) say that attractions that aren't to their specific liking aren't "good attractions," and I have seen them floating around in re: Buzz Lightyear-themed attractions at all of the US parks. ...you know that not everything is made for your exact specifications.... you can just not ride it....you can accept that some of the attractions are going to be geared for a younger audience and not you at all.... and that it doesn't make them bad it just means you don't like it... right?! Like we understand that not everything is about you, right? Am I missing something?
I like Buzz but it should be brought up, at a minimum, to the DL or DLP level. Ours needs a refurbishment.

yensidtlaw1969

Yeah, I think you are missing something - often when people call for these sorts of upgrades to attractions like Buzz they're not saying "Make it MORE fun for ME in a way that's LESS fun for KIDS!" They're saying "Make it something we can easily enjoy together" . . . which was the foundational idea of the parks.

I don't think anyone here is saying "Buzz should be updated because it's simply not good at all". I think generally people are just acknowledging that it has some long-term show issues, is not particularly timeless in its design, and has been bested several times over by its sibling (and descendant) attractions around the globe. Not to mention it's never been quite a perfect fit for the land it's in. The attraction's nearly 25 years old and looks worse than its age. It seems perfectly valid to say it could use some love.

Besides, it's not like a healthy update would somehow diminish its appeal to the younger audience. Two things can be true at once - Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is popular, but it also has plenty of room for improvement.

OrlandoRising

When will Disney realize that arcade shooters are about 30 years past their prime?

The Magic Kingdom version of Buzz might be, but interactive dark rides are consistently popular across many theme parks and can make for solid supporting attractions.

But Buzz's static, mass-produced targets through scenes with minimal animatronic movements look cheap compared to the likes of Toy Story Mania or Men in Black at Universal. Heck, I find the new Knott's Bear-y Tales shooter and the Six Flags Justice League clones more enjoyable than Buzz.

Casper Gutman

The Magic Kingdom version of Buzz might be, but interactive dark rides are consistently popular across many theme parks and can make for solid supporting attractions.

But Buzz's static, mass-produced targets through scenes with minimal animatronic movements look cheap compared to the likes of Toy Story Mania or Men in Black at Universal. Heck, I find the new Knott's Bear-y Tales shooter and the Six Flags Justice League clones more enjoyable than Buzz.
I disagree strongly. Toy Story Mania is far worse - it is literally screens in a minimally themed warehouse. The movement of the vehicles is meaningless - it would be the exact same experience if you simply sat on a stationary bench and the game on the screen changed periodically. It's an awful "ride" and an incredibly lackluster "attraction."

Buzz, at least, can be enjoyed as a traditional, if not particularly impressive, dark ride, with varied environments, physical sets, and AAs. Men in Black is undoubtedly the best of the lot, however.

Animaniac93-98

I disagree strongly. Toy Story Mania is far worse - it is literally screens in a minimally themed warehouse. The movement of the vehicles is meaningless - it would be the exact same experience if you simply sat on a stationary bench and the game on the screen changed periodically. It's an awful "ride" and an incredibly lackluster "attraction."

Buzz, at least, can be enjoyed as a traditional, if not particularly impressive, dark ride, with varied environments, physical sets, and AAs. Men in Black is undoubtedly the best of the lot, however.

Toy Story Mania is at least more fun than either Ant Man or Web Slingers.

Disney's overall track record with these kinds of rides is...not good.

Brer Oswald

I think the “success” of the shooter rides are largely in relation to how many attractions are in the area. Mania pulls more guests in then Buzz because it’s in a park with less attractions. I’ve also noticed the wait time for Buzz drop pretty drastically the older it gets.

The reality is, any ride in Disney World is going to have a decent wait, especially if there’s a character attached (or if it’s a thrill ride). Many are in agreement that Disney could use Buzz’s building for something that is more popular and more impressive. A new coat of paint just puts that off without significantly improving its function or popularity.

Vegas Disney Fan

Hold your horses Disney. First see how this film does at the box office before doing something stupid. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't want to even see it.
I’m curious what affect D+ will ultimately have on Disneys box office. In many ways they’re in competition with themselves now.

I’m looking forward to seeing Lightyear but not enough to pay $15 for it when I can wait a couple months and watch it at home for “free” with my D+ subscription.

Some movies are “must see” on a movie sized screen but this one doesn’t fall into that category for me. I’d love to see an updated Buzz ride though, I don’t care whether it’s based on this new movie or just a decent rehab, the ride needs some love.

Naplesgolfer

My family and I like them both. We compete for score on both and ride them multiple times. you should try for over 400,000 on TSM , takes some skill and riding it many times.

Lilofan

My family and I like them both. We compete for score on both and ride them multiple times. you should try for over 400,000 on TSM , takes some skill and riding it many times.
Impressive, that's a quick trigger finger and great reaction time to shoot the aliens.

oogie boogie man

I’m curious what affect D+ will ultimately have on Disneys box office. In many ways they’re in competition with themselves now.

I’m looking forward to seeing Lightyear but not enough to pay $15 for it when I can wait a couple months and watch it at home for “free” with my D+ subscription.

Some movies are “must see” on a movie sized screen but this one doesn’t fall into that category for me. I’d love to see an updated Buzz ride though, I don’t care whether it’s based on this new movie or just a decent rehab, the ride needs some love.

Yeah, it seems like most movies are on "the I'll wait" list. Lately I seem to be more in love with television shows like "Brittania" and "The Last Kingdom".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom