[RUMOR] JIIWF to close this fall; ride based on a Disney movie to replace it

brb1006

Exactly and why have Marvel Comics put out comics with Dreamfinder if they're not going to use him in Epcot?
I heard there were plans on giving the Pavilion a refurb or overhaul after Disney heard about the success of the first Figment comics. But that went nowhere especially when they decided to create a Frozen attraction at Norway.

Konor

On this same vein, I ordered a hamburger at McDonalds and the girl at the cashier randomly told me that Aladdin's ride was closing because their delivery person's brother's child who once knew Bobby McFerrin was told by Bobby to worry, and not "be happy" of this news.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
On this same vein, I ordered a hamburger at McDonalds and the girl at the cashier randomly told me that Aladdin's ride was closing because their delivery person's brother's child who once knew Bobby McFerrin was told by Bobby to worry, and not "be happy" of this news.

:eek:

Luxe

I believe @marni1971 stated previously that an Imagination redo is far down the list for the Chapek-announced Epcot overhaul.

Can you imagine if they did it correctly? A trackless Mystic Manor-style ride based on the original ride and the Marvel comic books? I won't hold my breath.
It's quite sad that nothing has opened at WDW in the last decade that made me genuinely say "Wow, that was incredible" after riding/seeing it. We'll see what Pandora, SWL and Rivers of Lite have in store...

Figments Friend

Exactly and why have Marvel Comics put out comics with Dreamfinder if they're not going to use him in Epcot?

Primarily to sell another product to fans who remember the Original Attraction, and to rekindle interest in these two characters...primarily a reintroduction of Dreamfinder.
There was also hope behind the scenes that the success of the comic series would pressure the Studio to consider a live action fantasy film based on the characters and / or comic series.
If the film did well, the next hope was to use that as a valid means of campaigning for a complete redesigning of the current ride at the Imagination Pavilion.

The 'Figment' comic series was a big success and did surprise a lot of people in Burbank.
It definitely made the right kind of waves and made previously clueless California based Disney executives 3,000 miles away from Epcot sit up and take notice of how important these characters are to some people.
It was great, and much needed, but as of yet no one has acted on that success and pushed it further.

A live action film could be possible, and was rumored at one point.
I had heard last year after ComicCon that it was announced a 3rd series for 'Figment' was in development, but have heard nothing further to date.

What is clear is the comic sent a clear message that these characters mean something to people and have not been forgotten.
Disney should do more with that then just slapping them on collectibles and merchandise.

-

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Primarily to sell another product to fans who remember the Original Attraction, and to rekindle interest in these two characters...primarily a reintroduction of Dreamfinder.
There was also hope behind the scenes that the success of the comic series would pressure the Studio to consider a live action fantasy film based on the characters and / or comic series.
If the film did well, the next hope was to use that as a valid means of campaigning for a complete redesigning of the current ride at the Imagination Pavilion.

The 'Figment' comic series was a big success and did surprise a lot of people in Burbank.
It definitely made the right kind of waves and made previously clueless California based Disney executives 3,000 miles away from Epcot sit up and take notice of how important these characters are to some people.
It was great, and much needed, but as of yet no one has acted on that success and pushed it further.

A live action film could be possible, and was rumored at one point.
I had heard last year after ComicCon that it was announced a 3rd series for 'Figment' was in development, but have heard nothing further to date.

What is clear is the comic sent a clear message that these characters mean something to people and have not been forgotten.
Disney should do more with that then just slapping them on collectibles and merchandise.
I would still prefer an Imagination film to be animated because all live-action fantasy from Disney these days looks the same.

Princess Leia

I would still prefer an Imagination film to be animated because all live-action fantasy from Disney these days looks the same.
Plus, an animated film would actually make a profit at the box office. Disney's big budget live action movies that aren't based off of previous films haven't exactly done well. Even Alice 2 was a bit of a flop for the company.

brb1006

Plus, an animated film would actually make a profit at the box office. Disney's big budget live action movies that aren't based off of previous films haven't exactly done well. Even Alice 2 was a bit of a flop for the company.
While I don't hate Live-Action takes on Disney animated films as much. I agree with turning JIM into an animated Disney film since this could be considered the first film based on an actual Disney Attraction in the Disney Animated Canon. Disney doesn't had a good track record when it comes to making films based on Disney attractions in Live-Action (The Country Bears and The Haunted Mansion)

mimitchi33

Original Poster
Yep. Figment is everywhere. And they already sold a retro shirt with Dreamfinder on it. But you could be right. They sold a retro Horizons shirt. Doesn't mean they are bringing back Horizons.
They could still sell Figment merchandise and run the new attraction. A lot of nostalgic things these days still sell merchandise after they went off the air many years ago (Nicktoons, classic anime like Sailor Moon) or stopped becoming popular (90's bands and films). I'm betting they could do that.
Oh Lord. I have friends who work that attraction, and they basically get told they are closing every year... it never happens.
Oh, so that's what my friends meant. It's like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf!"

DDLand

Something needs to happen. It's current state is dismal.

The sun is setting on Figment and Dreamfinder. The original attraction is something that was never seen by millions of younger guests. It's relevance will continue dwindle as Disney's core audience doesn't even have any memory of Figment and Dreamfinder.

Speaking bluntly, I don't have a lot of warm feelings for Figment. The Figment that I've known all my life is a somewhat annoying purple dragon that turns into a skunk and stinks out the attraction.

That's the only meaningful exposure anyone under the age of 25 has had or could remember clearly. This Disney classic either needs to return to its original version or it risks becoming a permanent fixture of history books.

The only thing keeping Figment and Dreamfinder alive is Nostalgia.

It's too bad. I enjoy the remaining major Epcot attractions. They just need to unlock the value as soon as possible.

Jones14

I know the current version of the attraction isn't great, but I'd hate to lose One Little Spark entirely. I'm wondering if Imagination keeps getting pushed further down on the fix list partially as a countermeasure to proposed IP-infused fixes. We know of plans with Phineas and Ferb, and I believe Inside Out was proposed (could be totally wrong) at one point, so perhaps there's someone highish up who's holding out hope that they can keep out the IP by pushing the overhaul off.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I know the current version of the attraction isn't great, but I'd hate to lose One Little Spark entirely. I'm wondering if Imagination keeps getting pushed further down on the fix list partially as a countermeasure to proposed IP-infused fixes. We know of plans with Phineas and Ferb, and I believe Inside Out was proposed (could be totally wrong) at one point, so perhaps there's someone highish up who's holding out hope that they can keep out the IP by pushing the overhaul off.

Yeah that's pretty much all I'll need. Keep "One Little Spark" Sherman Bros song, an AA Figment, and a proper nod to Dreamfinder and the rest of the show building can be burned to the ground and built from scratch with whatever IP or re-imagining Disney wants so long as it contains those three mandatory ingredients.

tongaloosh

And i would be totally okay with them taking a tiki torch to the current JIYIwF and lighting the inside up.

Bonfire.
Big.
Now.

Luau!

:D

-

th

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom