[RUMOR]: Grand Floridian Resort to Be Gutted to Become Modern Luxury Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

Precisely. I don't understand why the fan community has already decided to burn Chapek at the stake.

He's literally the only person we've had who has come in and objectively called out all the problems we've been complaining about for years.

Epcot sucks, the resorts are not remotely up to the luxurious levels they should be for the price, One Disney was a disaster, TDO even more of a disaster, WDI project costs were fundamentally broken, what the hell is taking Disney so long to introduce their billion dollar acquisitions into the parks? Staggs or Rasulo never managed to see these flaws, Chapek seems to.

The jury is still out on if Chapek's solutions are good, but people have already burned him for many solutions coming online that are still tied to the Staggs era, or the fundamentaly broken TDO, in actuality.
If he evolves the park with a real direction it's likely better than standing still. I'm not convinced he's the best person for the job, but I like action over inaction. The problem is when some of those actions have caused irreparable damage to what came before it.

WDWdream97

Although I can see people not feeling that the Grand is worth it's price, I don't think going modern is the answer. What would be better to do is create a timeless feel from a mixture of nostalgia and modern technology. Sort of like when you watch a movie and are not sure what period it is supposed to be in because modernity is seemingly merged with vintage aesthetics.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Although I can see people not feeling that the Grand is worth it's price, I don't think going modern is the answer. What would be better to do is create a timeless feel from a mixture of nostalgia and modern technology. Sort of like when you watch a movie and are not sure what period it is supposed to be in because modernity is seemingly merged with vintage aesthetics.
Steam punk?

Biff215

I personally don't care for the GF, but understand that plenty love it. I'm not sure why so many care about how many stars or diamonds it can claim. It's a unique resort right next to the world's most attended theme park. Disney doesn't charge what they do simply because of ratings, they do it because people will pay it. Gutting or retheming sounds absolutely pointless to me so I question this rumor. If they want to improve some aspects to better serve guests they should go for it. But if they're concerned about competing or being compared to Four Seasons, they shouldn't have allowed them to come in.

Siren

I saw a link to this on Facebook, It's is quite insane... thoughts?
This is impossible. Sorry.

I'm not sure what they thought would happen once a Four Seasons was built. I would guess the GF is competing for the same clientele, but I dont know how Disney will ever win. I'm all for a change in this case.
Absolutely. Very well said. I am one of the many loyal Disney resort guests that have jumped ship from Disney's deluxe to the Four Seasons.

Then, we started to see a rapid decline in service.

The last Disney deluxe resort we stayed at had light colored carpet that was stained so bad. You couldn't see it in natural light but when you turn on the light at night. OMG. There was not an inch of that carpet that did not have a stain. I would rather walk in mud then step on that carpet.

Many of the CM's were clueless, they stand there holding iPads in the lobby but they just don't know. It's not their fault. And, they would pass the buck in a minute by saying "you have to ask concierge or the front desk or go over there and ask them?" And, a lot of times just tell you anything.

Seriously. This will never happen at a Four Seasons. You only have to ask ONCE. And, that person will get you the answer. I really couldn't tell the difference between the management and staff there. They are that professional.

Anyway, the Four Seasons have stolen our heart and wallet. It is not without its drawbacks, if you are a Disney fan. Because, you get shut out of 60 day advance reservations for Fastpass and some dining experiences require payment in full in you are not staying on site. No EMH is a bummer, too.

And, then there is no Magical Express, which is a blessing for those of us who travel with a ton of luggage.

But, the Four Seasons takes good very care of us. They always have a chauffeur waiting for us at the bottom of the escalator in the baggage claim, holding an iPad with our name on it. We collect our luggage and are quickly whisked away in no time.

Oh, and the transportation at the Four Seasons is the best. Here are some google pics.

w4shw.jpg

16gyhvq.jpg

We were the only people on the bus!! You don't ever have to fight for a seat. You will be fortunate to have someone else on the bus with you. LOL. I feel like everyone deserves to have a seat on the bus. Period. No one should ever have to stand. It was nice not having to give up my seat.

Our last bus driver was so nice and funny. He had the most beautiful accent, too -- I think he was from Australia.

Most of the time, we took a car to the parks. As soon as you exit the elevator and enter the lobby, there is someone there to greet you and assist in getting you where you need to go. By the time you step outside to the curb, a car is already waiting for you.

ETA: I like how every room at the Four Seasons has a full balcony and all the rooms are well appointed. I don't like how the deluxe Epcot resorts rooms with full balconies are random and scarce -- every room should have one -- not just concierge.

Even at the Poly -- no one wanted the second floor in Hawaii because there are no balconies. The second floor does have easy access to the lounge. But, still...

If you do a split stay for Disney perks, stay at the Disney hotel first because you won't want to leave the Four Seasons.

For us, the pros at the Four Seasons outweigh the cons, so for now we are willing to sacrifice Disney perks for the Four Seasons.

Last edited:

wdrive

If they used CP kids who were majoring in Hospitality and put those students in the resort as a real internship program, that would be ideal. Both UCF and FSU have outstanding programs - it would be a win win and perhaps keep these students in Florida after they graduate. I'm not familiar with how the CP is run, but I would hope Disney is making some attempt to match major with job assignment. An accounting student isn't going to learn much about the real world of his major if he ends up handing out brochures on Main Street during MNSSHP......

Not in the slightest. From my experience I doubt they even look at what major the student is doing let alone even attempt to match them to a suitable role.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The test pilings they've done were never found.

Of course, it depends how much they want to spend.

I can't imagine the required investment would yield significant returns to make that plausible.

Anyway, I like the idea that Chapek isn't thrilled with how the resort is being managed. I don't think it requires anything so drastic as a gut job, but some heavy upgrades would be welcome.

Seanual757

I am all for a referb of the main resort I only hope that it is not at the expense of DVC owners @ the VGF. Last thing I want is less availability at one of my 2 home resorts during a referb.

matt9112

I can see Disney upgrading the rooms, linens, amenities and service to Four Seasons levels, but gut the entire resort? Never. I've stayed at the CR, Poly and GF multiple times each and the GF is, in my opinion, the closest Disney has to a Deluxe resort. Sadly, it is still miles behind Four Seasons.

And miles ahead in price bahahaha

21stamps

Open floor plans, the bane of modern design...and obsession of helicopter parents...
Hey now. Don't hate on open floor plans.

Two things I'm wondering as I'm reading this thread-
1. How many people actually compare the Four Seasons vs GF? Like I said yesterday, I just don't see them as being big competitors. A bus is not a monorail or boat. You can't walk to the marina and rent a boat to explore Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. You can't walk or quickly take the launch to the dining options at Poly. And a close second in importance to convenience-the sights and sounds are not there. Again, IMO it seems like people who stay at the Four Seasons are doing so because they want a retreat from the crowds and the overflowing lobbies of the monorail resorts.

2. When people keep talking about technology upgrades..What would you like to see at GF? Besides a Keurig, which definitely should be there, I don't know what else would be important.

Lastly, you're paying for convenience at these resorts. The same reason why people pay $2k per month to live in a (tiny) studio apartment on Duval St in Key West. The price of GF is not much higher, and sometimes less, than any coastal Waldorf, including the Casa Marina, Boca Raton Resort and the Beach Club..and definitely not higher than the Breakers. Biggest difference- none of those hotels ever offer 30% off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom