Rumor from a Monorail worker.

miles1

Why would the Disney people in Anaheim care? Disney doesn't run much of a bus fleet at the Disneyland Resort. .

What I'm thinking is that the higher-ups in Disney realize that fuel for the buses at WDW won't be getting any cheaper and the monorail may start to look like a more viable solution. My comment has nothing to do with Disneyland CA.

menamechris

What I'm thinking is that the higher-ups in Disney realize that fuel for the buses at WDW won't be getting any cheaper and the monorail may start to look like a more viable solution. My comment has nothing to do with Disneyland CA.

I think this is doubtful. Disney finds way to pass these costs on to the guest. They won't let fuel prices cut into their profit margin.

articos

I am perplexed. Part of me feels like today's TDO is so business-trained that they have been socking away money for years for the eventual replacement of the trains. The other part of me thinks they are the spiritual type that just pray the currents trains last long enough that they won't have to deal with it...

Really has nothing to do with socking away money. There are capital budgets for various departments. When it's time to replace the trains, the money will be allocated and the order will be put out for bid.

lazyboy97o

Oh ok. I think you meant Burbank then, not Anaheim. Even with rising fuel costs, busses do not have the hurdle of having to build new infrastructure. There are also busses that use different fuels or combinations of fuels.

s8film40

I don't know - Anaheim added 3 new trains a few years back. I'm sure there are options that include new trains without expanding the system.
Maybe not Bombardier, but options.
The Mark VII's were built by a different company. A lot depends on whats going on with particular companies if they're desperate for business they are more inclined to do smaller projects. Bombardier is the only real option for new trains as they hold the patents to the Mark VI trains now known as Innovia 100 as well as the subsequent Innovia 200's and 300's. Bombardier is currently working to fulfill an order for 54 7car trains, so it's understandable that WDW's "small" order doesn't get much attention with Bombardier.

montyz81

The Mark VII's were built by a different company. A lot depends on whats going on with particular companies if they're desperate for business they are more inclined to do smaller projects. Bombardier is the only real option for new trains as they hold the patents to the Mark VI trains now known as Innovia 100 as well as the subsequent Innovia 200's and 300's. Bombardier is currently working to fulfill an order for 54 7car trains, so it's understandable that WDW's "small" order doesn't get much attention with Bombardier.
Did they order new trains for Wdw????

EpcotFanForever

The Mark VIIs reused the Mark III chassis, the Mark V bodies and had some rather extensive issues when first delivered. Not exactly a model to follow.

Except that everything was so old that they had to generate computer models by measuring the old parts, and that's where the errors crept in. Everything was built in the days before solid modeling software.

While I don't necessarily agree that it's a possibility, I think people are underestimating how much the average guest hates the bus system. I wouldn't doubt it's the top complaint from guests.

The monorails may not attract people to the resort, but they also don't turn people away like the buses do. I know plenty of people that rent a car for that specific reason. A sophisticated monorail expansion could almost eliminate buses from a handful of resorts.

The easier it is for guests to travel around the 'world', the easier it is for them to spend money.

Preach it Brother!!! I hate taking the bus and it makes me feel like I am anywhere else at any other park in the world. Walt Disney World and the rest of the Disney Resorts worldwide have something that many people don't see very often: A Monorail System. These monorails are something that Walt thought would bring a breath of fresh air to his parks and create a form of transportation that would be the form of the future. I know that I would rather get on a monorail and ride from MK to DAK straightaway, than wait in line to board a plain, boring, and hated bus. Mike730 is exact in his quote, since he really speaks the truth! :)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Just speculating, but possibly with gas/diesel hitting $6.00 a gallon this week in California it has the Anaheim folks starting to think about alternatives to the buses?

Anaheim? Folks at DL don't make decisions for WDW. Do you mean Burbank or Glendale?

Skippy's Pal

While we've been to WDW a number of times, we took our first monorail trip last year. Was amazed at the small capacity. Went away with the feeling that monorails were one part attraction, one part boutique transportation system. Maybe 20 years ago when the parks were at far less average capacity for most of the year, monorails were a viable transit choice. Today, when there are very, very few slow periods, and very, very many oversize guests, many with Hummer-like strollers, just can't see monorail expansion as making any kind of sense. They could probably add 50 buses for the cost of a feasibility study. Maybe the bus system needs to be "Imagineered," made more frequent, more themed, more fun, unique in some way that doesn't remind one of riding to junior high.

s8film40

Did they order new trains for Wdw????
No, my understanding is they looked into it, but replacing the WDW fleet was such a small order that it isn't economical. Perhaps when it's time for the Vegas trains to be replaced WDW can team up with the Vegas monorail to get a larger order and both systems could benefit from the reduced costs of a large order.

flynnibus

Premium Member
While we've been to WDW a number of times, we took our first monorail trip last year. Was amazed at the small capacity. Went away with the feeling that monorails were one part attraction, one part boutique transportation system. Maybe 20 years ago when the parks were at far less average capacity for most of the year, monorails were a viable transit choice. Today, when there are very, very few slow periods, and very, very many oversize guests, many with Hummer-like strollers, just can't see monorail expansion as making any kind of sense. They could probably add 50 buses for the cost of a feasibility study. Maybe the bus system needs to be "Imagineered," made more frequent, more themed, more fun, unique in some way that doesn't remind one of riding to junior high.

don't ever get on the DL monorail then.. your head may explode :) They are smaller, less practical, and serve almost no purpose but to go in a circle :)

lnsemsf

don't ever get on the DL monorail then.. your head may explode :) They are smaller, less practical, and serve almost no purpose but to go in a circle :)

Don't forget un-airconditioned. They feel wonderful when the temperatures hit 104! They also have to shut them down an hour before the fireworks, so they shut down during one of the peak times people might want to use them.

luv

Oh, Puhleeze.

Disney can't even afford to give us water pressure higher than a trickle out of the faucet to wash our hands.

They're going to build a new monorail line?

I don't think so.

Map7711

Attendance would surely increase at AKL and DHS if you can just hop on a monorail to get to them instead of getting on a bus. People just assume its easier via a monorail. Plus its FUN! No fun in riding on a bus. With all the money being spent at AKL and DHS over the next few years you can bet Disney wants you their. Maybe this is one way of getting the masses to those parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom