RUMOR: Free parking coming to WDW

jasong618

Has anyone considered that the Trams used in the parking lot are being upgraded to have actual doors? (Unless this is an unconfirmed rumor and I am behind here).

These vehicles need to be maintained, remain fuel'd and operated.

OK EDITED: Sorry, that was a bunch of jumbled thoughts. Anyways, if they are upgrading the trams, why make parking free? Also, you definitely need more than .50cents a ticket increase to cover maintenance, fuel, etc.

WDWFigment

I think the argument that this would affect where people choose to stay is highly suspect.

Does anybody pick an on-site stay based solely on free parking? Who decides to spend $80/night at the All-Stars as opposed to $30/night at the EconoLodge to save $10/day at the parking plaza?

I would assume most on-site guests see free parking as a nice bonus, at the most.

(The ticket increase is something else altogether, but if it's factored in around the time of year when Disney has typically announced annual admission hikes, most people won't even notice.)

It is unlikely that anyone bases where they stay solely on parking, but that is what's being removed from the "equation". If all of the benefits of staying on property added up to a $9 advantage (I know, no one quantifies things like this, either, but bear with me) over staying off property, then by losing that $10 benefit of parking, the scales just tilted to staying off property by $1.

My point is that this could be the 'tipping point' for some people. At the very least, it's not going to convince more people to stay on property, which seems to be a goal of Disney's (DDP, DME, EMH, etc.), so I don't see it as consistent.

CarlHS

I thought They had like 55,000 employees

They do, but they are still short on staff. They are constantly getting staff to take extra shifts, offering hiring bonuses, etc.

But, adding a "new park" (even a smaller boutique park with 4000 staff for example) and a new land at AK (say another 500) it will be difficult to accomedate while competing with the new sea world water park, the added staff that will be drawn to work at potter land, etc.

Cast Members are going to be in demand soon.

Let's not forget that the free parking may entice more guests / passholders to attend vs a day trip to one of the other parks.

CarlHS

Has anyone considered that the Trams used in the parking lot are being upgraded to have actual doors? (Unless this is an unconfirmed rumor and I am behind here).

These vehicles need to be maintained, remain fuel'd and operated.

OK EDITED: Sorry, that was a bunch of jumbled thoughts. Anyways, if they are upgrading the trams, why make parking free? Also, you definitely need more than .50cents a ticket increase to cover maintenance, fuel, etc.

We are not saying they will take away these staff, only the ones in the toll booths.

TOTGuy

Your admission ticket pays for so many things you probably don't think about or use-- like the coffee served to Disney's corporate lawyers who use reams of paper to print out union contracts that determine how much of your admission fee will be spent on syringes and band-aids to give cast members flu shots.
For as much as we put in, the least Disney could do is pay for CM flu shots...
Don't get too stingy when you are talking about what CM's deserve.

Also included in admission? Fastpass! Just remember that.

Laura

My point is that this could be the 'tipping point' for some people. At the very least, it's not going to convince more people to stay on property, which seems to be a goal of Disney's (DDP, DME, EMH, etc.), so I don't see it as consistent.

It would be the "tipping point" for me as far as an annual pass is concerned. Right now I buy the AP instead of a regular ticket largely due to the $100-$200 savings on parking throughout the year. Without that savings, I may end up saving more without the AP.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Only going once every few years, I feel that it's best just to stay onsite and use their transportation system to get from point 'A' to point 'B'. That's half the fun!

Okay, maybe more like one sixteenth of the fun... but still vital to a Disney vacation.

sknydave

Raising the ticket prices 4 dollars while getting rid of the 11 dollar parking fee would be genius. They would be making a ton of money with that move.

Captain Chaos

Raising the ticket prices 4 dollars while getting rid of the 11 dollar parking fee would be genius. They would be making a ton of money with that move.

but think how much they would make if they raised the ticket prices four bucks AND the parking prices another dollar... They really would be raking it in... :ROFLOL:

MousDad

My thoughts on free parking using 2 word phrases:

"generosity feigned"

"inter-departmental razmatazz"

"profits redirected"

"customers beguiled"

"accountants snickering"

JimboJones123

Does anybody pick an on-site stay based solely on free parking? Who decides to spend $80/night at the All-Stars as opposed to $30/night at the EconoLodge to save $10/day at the parking plaza?

I will say TOTALLY -- I DO!!!

The savings of $10 a day is HUGE! The EconoLodge does not compare to the All-Stars. For Safety number 1, cleanliness, ammeneties, food value, refill mugs, service, you couldn't find a place in Orlando that does what All-Stars to for $70 a night. You can't. No, the All-Stars aren't the Hyatt, but the Hyatt isn't $70 a night. Plus the Driving Distance.

I can say to you right now, we are planning a magical gathering. We've looked at renting a condo for 14 people. It would save us over the course of a week about $30 a night for each of 4 families. But then the Parking is the tipper. I would rather pay $30 more a night than to pay the $10 for parking and lose the other ammenities.

So yes, the parking was a HUGE factor in making this decision.

TIGERBEAR1

Every car parking in any one of the lots Nets Disney $11.00 a day.... every single day for every single car. Unless they are a passholder or Resort guest.

I Just don't see them giving up that revenue for any reason whatsoever.

Parking at the lots is a highly organized, staffed and maintained proceedure.
It requires monitering and staffing to make it efficient.

I just can't see them changing the system in place. The Fees they collect help Budget all the utilities, Trams, Staff and Lot upkeep that are necessary to Maintain that Facet of the process and are a necessary evil.

I am sure they do profit above operating costs--But that's why they wouldn't want to change it either.

kimmychad

They could raise the prices of other things to pay for it. Maybe if they put up the costs of strollers and buns as they are too cheap. :lookaroun

lol i can rent a car and pay the parking fee for less than a double stroller. something's just not right about that

DisneyCane

I don't have time to read this whole thread but one thing I'll say is that it will probably hurt annual pass sales. The reason I buy an annual pass vs. a seasonal pass is that the parking saved makes it cheaper when everything is considered. If the parking was free, I'd just get a seasonal pass and not go during the blackout periods (which are also the most crowded times anyway).

jt04

I don't have time to read this whole thread but one thing I'll say is that it will probably hurt annual pass sales. The reason I buy an annual pass vs. a seasonal pass is that the parking saved makes it cheaper when everything is considered. If the parking was free, I'd just get a seasonal pass and not go during the blackout periods (which are also the most crowded times anyway).

I think management would actually prefer the scenario you describe because the parks are too busy during blackout periods and they are having staffing issues. Bring on the free parking! (take that Uni :lol:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom