RUMOR: Free parking coming to WDW

d43boy

Well, the Studios' lot has always been too small. Soon after the park opened, they had to add onto the lot because it was filling up daily. Looking at the satellite photos, you can see that the outer lots (beyond the line of trees) is noticably a different color than the inner lots. If that ENTIRE area was added afterward, that means that the Studios lot was TINY when the park first opened.

Part of the problem with the Studios and AK lots is that a large chunk of each of them is set aside for Cast Member Parking. Easily 1/4 of the Studios lot, and 1/6 of the AK lot is CM parking. I think the AK lot was designed that way, but I don't think that the CM lot at the Studios was always part of the main parking lot. Does anyone know for sure?

At MK and Epcot, all of their CM parking (with some exceptions) are in lots far away from the Guest lots. (Plus, they're friggin' HUGE lots to begin with...)

At AK, they have a very easy solution to parking problems. There's still a large section that is unpaved out beyond Dinosaur (I think it's dinosaur). You loop around it before coming back in along the tram lane. There's enough room for a good 8 or 9 rows out there.
(And speaking of AK's lot... I know it's probably supposed to be Savannah-like, but could you PLEASE add some landscaping? Trees? Plants? Anything? AK's lot feels so DESOLATE compared to any of the other lots.)

There's a bigger problem when it comes to Studios' parking. They are very crunched for space. They've bumped their Guest lot as far out as they can before hitting a canal. So, their best bet would be to re-take what is now the CM lot, make it for Guest use, and put the Studios CM parking elsewhere. My guesses would be either a large backstage parking structure (expand the currently-existing Animation Building one, perhaps?), or clear out some trees on the other side of the main entrance road from World Drive and put a CM lot there. Then connect it over to where the CM entrance is now via overpass or underpass.

-Rob

You know, I thought the same thing, but after reading The Imagineering Field Guide to Animal Kingdom, it seems the Imagineers did this on purpose!

You are supposed to be really shocked with the lush vegetation and 'green-ness' of the park. That's why the parking lot is so barren and desolate. The lush, green atmosphere of AK hits you harder when you come from that.

At least that's what the Imagineers say! :lol:

DisneyCane

I think management would actually prefer the scenario you describe because the parks are too busy during blackout periods and they are having staffing issues. Bring on the free parking! (take that Uni :lol:)

Good point but it is when I go on the crowded days that I am most likely to spend more on food and other items because I don't want to wait so long to ride things that I've ridden before. Instead, I go those days for the atmosphere and escape and always end up eating and/or buying stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom