Rumor RUMOR: Disney Planing To Add Live Cams Into The Parks

Hockey Nut

Not to derail this thread, but does anyone know what happened to the Magic Kingdom webcam from this site: http://disneylivecams.com

I believe that the camera was mounted at the Contemporary and stopped working a few months ago. It wasn't the best resolution, but it was something.

MissM

I certainly wouldn't pay. That's just silly.

But...I would likely tune in now and then to watch. I liked when they did the live stream for the 24 hour day for example. People waved, did dance routines, held signs - all kinds of fun little things to the people watching. I thought it fostered a fun, "community" spirit and a level of interactivity. Yes, you'd need to watch for trolls or obscene gestures, but I think Disney does a pretty good job looking out for that already in park. Doesn't seem a huge challenge.

2351metalcloud

What would you all think if Disney stopped allowing people to record videos of things just at Disney World parks, at Disney World and at California parks, or at all parks worldwide?

What if Disney stopped allowing people to bring their own mobile phones, tablets, laptops, computer watches, and similar devices into the parks of Disney World, but didn't stop them from bringing them into hotels on Disney World property? What if they didn't allow these devices to be brought to certain hotels like the Star Wars hotel or even into any hotels on Disney property?

Do you all think it would be a good idea to implement some type of policy like this? What about if they did it after making it possible for people to view certain things at some or all Disney parks with web cameras on some sort of streaming service? What about if they did it before doing that? What about if they also had some videos on such a service that showed things from the perspective of certain cast members?

This would bring the policy more in line with the policies regarding these devices at many theatrical performances in the world and would be done to try counteract some effects of people being able to watch videos of things in Disney parks online instead of going to Disney parks themselves and possibly for other reasons. I think something like this or at least the banning of outside video recording devices will most likely eventually be implemented into at least some parts of parks at some point in the future.

Instead people would be able to rent devices like phones probably with or without touchpad-screen interfaces or tablets that would probably all have the ability to call certain other devices in the park. There would probably be certain kinds of devices people could pay to rent that would cost different amounts of money and have different functions. People might be able to get devices that can only call other devices and take photos. They might also be able to get other devices that can call other devices, take photos, and record videos. They might also be able to get other devices that can call other devices, take photos, record videos, and have a display screen and programs on them that give information about some parts of the park and can possibly interact with things at some parts of the park such as in queue areas.

People would probably have to pay some amount of money for a device to cover the cost of repair or replacement in case the device is damaged, but which would be repaid back to the customer if the device was returned without damage.

If it is possible theoretically, these devices could have parts to them that allow them to interact with the technology involved in MyMagic+ to disable the devices from being able to record videos while the device is within certain areas such as while they are in the area that a ride vehicle travels or also within the area of a queue for a ride as well. Possibly, this technology could also prevent these devices from performing flash photography in these areas and possibly also prevent the recording of audio. I imagine this would involve the RFID technology used in the MYMagic+ system being detected by parts of the devices while in certain areas and possibly also involve geolocation technology of the devices. I could see it being desirable for Disney to also prevent the recording of video outside just queue areas and ride paths however and to basically not allow any video recording at all.

People could be given a certain amount of time (like three weeks or a month or two) to retrieve their media from some sort of Disney website or they could pay a certain amount of money to have media they recorded to be given to them on something like a thumb drive or a dvd or cd before they leave the park or even to have it mailed to them after leaving the park.

I imagine if Disney did implemented such a policy, Disney might ask for the removal of newly uploaded videos of things at Disney parks people would upload to Youtube or Facebook if those videos would be videos made from people recording the visuals of park cams on the streaming site. Disney could still not try to take down videos people upload that were recorded in the park before the policy of generally banning unapproved recording devices from the park was instituted. There would probably be exceptions where there are videos made of a compilations of photos taken at Disney parks and also videos recorded in the park and uploaded by offical Disney accounts on places like Youtube and Facebook that are not attempted to be taken down by Disney.

I would be interested to read people's thoughts about some things I mentioned above.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

What would you all think if Disney stopped allowing people to record videos of things just at Disney World parks, at Disney World and at California parks, or at all parks worldwide?

What if Disney stopped allowing people to bring their own mobile phones, tablets, laptops, computer watches, and similar devices into the parks of Disney World, but didn't stop them from bringing them into hotels on Disney World property? What if they didn't allow these devices to be brought to certain hotels like the Star Wars hotel or even into any hotels on Disney property?

Do you all think it would be a good idea to implement some type of policy like this? What about if they did it after making it possible for people to view certain things at some or all Disney parks with web cameras on some sort of streaming service? What about if they did it before doing that? What about if they also had some videos on such a service that showed things from the perspective of certain cast members?

This would bring the policy more in line with the policies regarding these devices at many theatrical performances in the world and would be done to try counteract some effects of people being able to watch videos of things in Disney parks online instead of going to Disney parks themselves and possibly for other reasons. I think something like this or at least the banning of outside video recording devices will most likely eventually be implemented into at least some parts of parks at some point in the future.

Instead people would be able to rent devices like phones probably with or without touchpad-screen interfaces or tablets that would probably all have the ability to call certain other devices in the park. There would probably be certain kinds of devices people could pay to rent that would cost different amounts of money and have different functions. People might be able to get devices that can only call other devices and take photos. They might also be able to get other devices that can call other devices, take photos, and record videos. They might also be able to get other devices that can call other devices, take photos, record videos, and have a display screen and programs on them that give information about some parts of the park and can possibly interact with things at some parts of the park such as in queue areas.

People would probably have to pay some amount of money for a device to cover the cost of repair or replacement in case the device is damaged, but which would be repaid back to the customer if the device was returned without damage.

If it is possible theoretically, these devices could have parts to them that allow them to interact with the technology involved in MyMagic+ to disable the devices from being able to record videos while the device is within certain areas such as while they are in the area that a ride vehicle travels or also within the area of a queue for a ride as well. Possibly, this technology could also prevent these devices from performing flash photography in these areas and possibly also prevent the recording of audio. I imagine this would involve the RFID technology used in the MYMagic+ system being detected by parts of the devices while in certain areas and possibly also involve geolocation technology of the devices. I could see it being desirable for Disney to also prevent the recording of video outside just queue areas and ride paths however and to basically not allow any video recording at all.

People could be given a certain amount of time (like three weeks or a month or two) to retrieve their media from some sort of Disney website or they could pay a certain amount of money to have media they recorded to be given to them on something like a thumb drive or a dvd or cd before they leave the park or even to have it mailed to them after leaving the park.

I imagine if Disney did implemented such a policy, Disney might ask for the removal of newly uploaded videos of things at Disney parks people would upload to Youtube or Facebook if those videos would be videos made from people recording the visuals of park cams on the streaming site. Disney could still not try to take down videos people upload that were recorded in the park before the policy of generally banning unapproved recording devices from the park was instituted. There would probably be exceptions where there are videos made of a compilations of photos taken at Disney parks and also videos recorded in the park and uploaded by offical Disney accounts on places like Youtube and Facebook that are not attempted to be taken down by Disney.

I would be interested to read some people's thoughts about these things I mentioned above.
What are they going to do? Ditch MDE and strip search you to get into the parks?

Rteetz

That would really be throwing billions out the window...

ProfSavage

I would be interested to read people's thoughts about some things I mentioned above.

1) better suited for general discussion and 2) I couldn't see you over that wall of text

GlacierGlacier

As a serious reply, people LOVE to record their time at Disney. Back in the day you could even rent a video camera to record videos from your trip. Every person I know that had a childhood at Disney has those classic low-quality family videos of them at a park (to be fair, I live about an hour east of WDW). I know about half of my childhood photos have disney in the background. If Disney suddenly restricted video recording to nil, there would be (metaphorical) riots.

Also, there is no way Disney would/could ban mobile devices on your second point. It's a bit silly to suggest that.

In fact, this is all a silly wall of text.

2351metalcloud

What are they going to do? Ditch MDE and strip search you to get into the parks?
I suggested that they could start to allow people to rent phones and similar devices within the parks. If they don't already, presumably they could change some phone apps/programs on people's personal phones to be able save data online and then allow people to use the same app/program or a similar app/program that is installed on the rented device to access this data that is stored online while using the rented device.

2351metalcloud

As a serious reply, people LOVE to record their time at Disney. Back in the day you could even rent a video camera to record videos from your trip. Every person I know that had a childhood at Disney has those classic low-quality family videos of them at a park (to be fair, I live about an hour east of WDW). I know about half of my childhood photos have disney in the background. If Disney suddenly restricted video recording to nil, there would be (metaphorical) riots.
This is before the rise of online videos where people can easily access videos and photos people have recorded at parks. I suspect the the rise of this had a significant impact on the interest of people going to Animal Kingdom after the Pandora area was built. I think as long as people are easily able to access online videos people have recorded at parks there will be some desire from people in important positions at Disney to stop people from being able to easily access many videos like this similar to how many theaters don't want to allow people to record videos of plays. A potential regulation of the internet in some countries in terms of what people can easily post on to the internet some time in the future is something that could effect these desires however.

tonymu

Premium Member
They are already doing this in a small way. They have cams set up in the parks and show them live at different times to the Disney Stores on the big screens the big screens in renovated stores. On one thread someone posted the permanent sign on Main Street that announces there are cameras and they are being broadcast. They could just be panning to use these already set up cams.

Sir_Cliff

This is before the rise of online videos where people can easily access videos and photos people have recorded at parks. I suspect the the rise of this had a significant impact on the interest of people going to Animal Kingdom after the Pandora area was built. I think as long as people are easily able to access online videos people have recorded at parks there will be some desire from people in important positions at Disney to stop people from being able to easily access many videos like this similar to how many theaters don't want to allow people to record videos of plays. A potential regulation of the internet in some countries in terms of what people can easily post on to the internet some time in the future is something that could effect these desires however.
I don't quite get the premise of Disney wanting to stop people giving them free promotion on social media...?

Bolt

Yeah - my wife would really love the idea of not being able to contact me or me to contact her when I have the kids in the park!

Gillyanne

I don't quite get the premise of Disney wanting to stop people giving them free promotion on social media...?

This is what I was thinking. I don't get to watch videos much, but I can picture an ad that plays on disney channel that shows the child going through pandora and "oh wow look at this!" kind of thing which I would think can be reminesent of what the "home" videos would be like. That doesn't make me think "OK I've seen it I don't need to go" but it makes me think "OH Wow now I want to go see that"....

2351metalcloud

I'm thinking they might want to do it if they thought it would benefit Disney financially in the long term or short term to do so. Hopefully it would be thinking for the long term for the customers' sake. It might be similar to companies asking for clips of movies to be taken down from video sites like Youtube or Facebook. It could be argued that having the clips on there gives free advertisement for the movie, but people wanting to benefit financially from people purchasing the movie would probably be considering whether this free advertisement is worth allowing to be possible into the future given what they expect the effect financially would be over the long term or short term if they ceased to allow this free advertising to continue at some point in the future. If they think it would be better financially over the short term or long term to stop this free advertisement, then they might want to do things to somehow try to stop this form of free advertisement to no longer be possible.

With my own limited knowledge on the subject, I suspect that the financial effect on the revenue of Disney parks of people being very easily able to watch many HD videos on sites like Youtube and Facebook where they are able experience something similar to being in a ride vehicle and traveling along a ride path of almost all if not all Disney attractions with ride vehicles including brand new attractions is worrisome to people in charge of these parks.

I tried to convey in a paragraph in my earlier post that I think Disney would likely to continue to allow people to use rented devices to be able to take photos and maybe even videos recorded in some areas in parks and to share these on the internet I just suspect that they particularly might want people to stop recording videos while they are on the 'ride paths' of attractions.

I imagine they might still actually post videos recorded by Disney themselves that are taken from the vantage point of a person in a ride vehicle along some portions of the ride path of an attraction on a streaming service.

Yeah - my wife would really love the idea of not being able to contact me or me to contact her when I have the kids in the park!

I brought up in the fifth paragraph of the quoted post the idea of Disney setting up a way for people to rent communication devices such as cell phones, possibly at a cheap price if necessary, that people could use in the park. It seems like some people aren't reading that part of my post however.

wdwgreek

I'm thinking they might want to do it if they thought it would benefit Disney financially in the long term or short term to do so. Hopefully it would be thinking for the long term for the customers' sake. It might be similar to companies asking for clips of movies to be taken down from video sites like Youtube or Facebook. It could be argued that having the clips on there gives free advertisement for the movie, but people wanting to benefit financially from people purchasing the movie would probably be considering whether this free advertisement is worth allowing to be possible into the future given what they expect the effect financially would be over the long term or short term if they ceased to allow this free advertising to continue at some point in the future. If they think it would be better financially over the short term or long term to stop this free advertisement, then they might want to do things to somehow try to stop this form of free advertisement to no longer be possible.

With my own limited knowledge on the subject, I suspect that the financial effect on the revenue of Disney parks of people being very easily able to watch many HD videos on sites like Youtube and Facebook where they are able experience something similar to being in a ride vehicle and traveling along a ride path of almost all if not all Disney attractions with ride vehicles including brand new attractions is worrisome to people in charge of these parks.

I tried to convey in a paragraph in my earlier post that I think Disney would likely to continue to allow people to use rented devices to be able to take photos and maybe even videos recorded in some areas in parks and to share these on the internet I just suspect that they particularly might want people to stop recording videos while they are on the 'ride paths' of attractions.

I imagine they might still actually post videos recorded by Disney themselves that are taken from the vantage point of a person in a ride vehicle along some portions of the ride path of an attraction on a streaming service.

I brought up in the fifth paragraph of the quoted post the idea of Disney setting up a way for people to rent communication devices such as cell phones, possibly at a cheap price if necessary, that people could use in the park. It seems like some people aren't reading that part of my post however.
This is really silly. First its free marketing, secondly they literally spent millions to develop ways to intergrate phones ie my magic expierence into the parks, and no one is going to rent a cell phone, try again.

2351metalcloud

For me personally, being able to watch a video someone recorded while on one of the very slow moving rides without any thrilling parts makes it less desirable for me to bother to wait in line for a long period of time for that ride while on an expensive trip with a limited amount of time, but maybe that isn't true for as many other people as I would think based on the response of some people to these ideas. Although, this is a forum where many people are very big fans of going to the theme parks so people responding to this idea aren't quite the same as many people that might consider going to Disney theme parks so I think it's possible that may affect the variation in opinion of people.

WDWTank

This is not Family-Friendly

WDWTank

The money spent on this should be going to E.P.C.O.T.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom